RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the St. Louis Blues
$1,875,000$1,875,000
C
UFA - 3
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
C, RW
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RW, C
UFA - 3
$758,333$758,333
RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LW
UFA - 1
$1,475,000$1,475,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 7
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RD
UFA - 7
$4,400,000$4,400,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
UFA - 2
$4,350,000$4,350,000
G
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$1,375,000$1,375,000
RD
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 10, 2020 at 2:12 a.m.
Quoting: MadLin27
LMFAO... You flash these analytics at everyone and you don't even know how to properly read them! The chart you showed displays -6% threat while Pietrangelo is on the ice. Its not effectiveness, its threat. He allows 6% less high danger shots (shots from close to the net)than league average. Seriously man, all credibility lost.

You also fail to mention that he is a +9% for 5on5 shot attempts FOR while on the ice, but his team is a whopping -17% without him off the ice.

This data would conclude he is an elite offensive defenceman and a good defender....

Absolutely brutal man. Go home with your tail between your legs.

and either way woohoo you have that going for ya on SHOTS only

While he has a f*cking OZS of 107 which is down by about idk 40 on offense, and NZS of 151 which is down by idk 50, and a DZS off 115 which is down by idk 70. A CF of 6.04% xGF/60 .276 and a xGA/60 -.051

CF/60 3.79

So bust a nut how when its a 6% difference when he is on the ice while it's a 14% difference when Parayko is on the ice. So WOOHOO take Pietrangelo let him die in the dust like DD8 and EK65 at 30 YEARS OLD you can have him for 6 years 9.5M BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAA.......
Jan. 10, 2020 at 10:29 a.m.
Good Opinion Haver
Edited Jan. 10, 2020 at 10:36 a.m.
Quoting: BeastModeUnknown
Scorching hot take is when someone has an opinion without doing there research sir. Pietrangelo is an average defenseman, and looking at how Doughty and Karlsson's contracts turned out when they were 28 and 29, and Pietrangelo will be re-signed/signed at 30. Looks like it could be very much the same thing with Pietrangelo in decline.

I get the Karlsson/Doughty concerns, but there were big red flags for a few years before they signed those contracts that Doughty and Karlsson were going to have a rough go of it, and those red flags aren't there for Pietrangelo. Karlsson had been hurt in Ottawa, was hurt again in San Jose and then underperformed the rest of the season before being hurt yet again in the playoffs, and now is underperforming further. Karlsson relied heavily on his speed to cover his turnovers and create offense, and now that the injuries (and age, to a lesser extent) have taken that speed, he has the second highest giveaway rate among defenseman and looks like a shell of himself.

Doughty, meanwhile, has been overrated for years, and like the rest of the Kings in their cup days he was physical, using his body primarily to knock guys off the puck and outwork them. Obviously, it's harder to do that when you're in your thirties and have nothing to play for because your team is not good. There's an argument to be made that if Doughty had a better supporting cast he wouldn't be as bad as he is now.

Pietrangelo can use his body and isn't slow by any means, but is reliant on his decision-making ability, and while that was never going to earn him a Norris or Doughty/Karlsson level accolades when they were all in their prime, it's also not a physical quality that you can take away from him in his mid-thirties or earlier. It's why players like Shea Weber, Mark Giordano, and especially Joe Thornton were able to play at a high level in their mid thirties and beyond. Pietrangelo has also never been seriously injured thus far in his career (fingers crossed), so there's nothing that is going to catch up with him in his thirties in that regard. It also helps that we're talking about a contract for Pietrangelo that probably lands between 8.5-9.5 million and not between 11-11.5 million like the other two.

Pietrangelo will obviously decline as he gets into his thirties, but as this analysis from Dom shows, it likely won't be precipitous as he never dips below replacement value. He will likely have to take less responsibility as he ages, but I don't think that should be a deal breaker when we've got guys like Dunn and Parayko hopefully still around who can take over PPQBing and such.

Screen-Shot-2019-12-05-at-10.41.26-PM.png
mokumboi liked this.
Jan. 10, 2020 at 12:09 p.m.
Quoting: TheEarthmaster
I get the Karlsson/Doughty concerns, but there were big red flags for a few years before they signed those contracts that Doughty and Karlsson were going to have a rough go of it, and those red flags aren't there for Pietrangelo. Karlsson had been hurt in Ottawa, was hurt again in San Jose and then underperformed the rest of the season before being hurt yet again in the playoffs, and now is underperforming further. Karlsson relied heavily on his speed to cover his turnovers and create offense, and now that the injuries (and age, to a lesser extent) have taken that speed, he has the second highest giveaway rate among defenseman and looks like a shell of himself.

Doughty, meanwhile, has been overrated for years, and like the rest of the Kings in their cup days he was physical, using his body primarily to knock guys off the puck and outwork them. Obviously, it's harder to do that when you're in your thirties and have nothing to play for because your team is not good. There's an argument to be made that if Doughty had a better supporting cast he wouldn't be as bad as he is now.

Pietrangelo can use his body and isn't slow by any means, but is reliant on his decision-making ability, and while that was never going to earn him a Norris or Doughty/Karlsson level accolades when they were all in their prime, it's also not a physical quality that you can take away from him in his mid-thirties or earlier. It's why players like Shea Weber, Mark Giordano, and especially Joe Thornton were able to play at a high level in their mid thirties and beyond. Pietrangelo has also never been seriously injured thus far in his career (fingers crossed), so there's nothing that is going to catch up with him in his thirties in that regard. It also helps that we're talking about a contract for Pietrangelo that probably lands between 8.5-9.5 million and not between 11-11.5 million like the other two.

Pietrangelo will obviously decline as he gets into his thirties, but as this analysis from Dom shows, it likely won't be precipitous as he never dips below replacement value. He will likely have to take less responsibility as he ages, but I don't think that should be a deal breaker when we've got guys like Dunn and Parayko hopefully still around who can take over PPQBing and such.

Screen-Shot-2019-12-05-at-10.41.26-PM.png

see the concern here is a the 45 percentile, and his projection for offense is coming down from the 96 he had 2 years ago.
Jan. 10, 2020 at 12:54 p.m.
Good Opinion Haver
see the concern here is a the 45 percentile, and his projection for offense is coming down from the 96 he had 2 years ago.

45 is a little below average, which is maybe not good enough in a vacuum, but there's some context lacking there. That 45 looks much much better when you look at the usage stats above that and see he's gone up against tougher competition than 87% of the league's defensemen. Maybe Hitch and Yeo should have considered his deployment if they wanted to improve that. Obviously Berube did, giving Parayko the tougher assignments in 2019. It's why we need both long term- Parayko is an elite defender and average offensive threat, Pietrangelo is the opposite. And why we don't need Faulk long term, because he's not elite at anything.

With the offense, I wouldn't be as concerned. The chart bears out that Pietrangelo's stats took a big hit in 2018 (along with the stats for literally every Blues player not named Ryan O'Reilly or Oskar Sundqvist), which could be notable evidence for decline except Pietrangelo returned to form offensively in 2019 with the rest of the team. This particular chart does not take the numbers for 2019 into account- it uses stats prior to December 2018 and projects everything else. But even if we don't hand wave that away, and worst case it and say Pietrangelo is dropping offensively about ~3% a year as you suggest, anything in the 80th percentile is elite for defensemen and is still valued at about $10mil a year. This would indicate Pietrangelo will prouduce maybe slightly less than he has, but still at an elite level overall, for the next three years. If we were rebuilding or Pietrangelo was older I could take your point about the offensive decline, but considering where the rest of the team is at right now and for the next three years (read: ready to win more cups), it doesn't make much sense to let a guy who is going to produce like him walk for less than $9mil.
Jan. 10, 2020 at 2:00 p.m.
No regretzkys
Defensive Threat.............

You seem confused.....

Offense ABOVE AVERAGE LIKE I SAID.
BUT IF YOU WOULD SPECIFICALLY WATCH HIS PLAY ON DEFENSE. You would understand what I mean, but take it from a Toronto fan who I'm sure feels Marner is the best winger in the League to understand the basics of not letting a man passed you on defense, and staying in position....

Yes. It is defensive threat against your team! You are the one who is confused!
That is why Hedman is a -10% and Josi is a -9%. Because there is LESS threat against their team considering shot attempts and high danger scoring chances while they are on the ice.

Boston as a team is -10% threat... Chicago is a +11% threat.... What does that tell you..?

I even believe you that his defencive play has his warts (like basically everyone), but he is an elite defenceman in the NHL. Top 10, no doubt. Simple as that.

And you would bring up that I am Leafs fan. That isn't relevant to the discussion. Nice trying to deflect the conversation to something else. Pretty pathetic.

I wouldn't even care to comment back to you, but I have noticed you being so arrogant in all of your comments for so long and now you are objectively wrong and too afraid to admit it.
Jan. 10, 2020 at 3:34 p.m.
Yes. It is defensive threat against your team! You are the one who is confused!
That is why Hedman is a -10% and Josi is a -9%. Because there is LESS threat against their team considering shot attempts and high danger scoring chances while they are on the ice.

Boston as a team is -10% threat... Chicago is a +11% threat.... What does that tell you..?

I even believe you that his defencive play has his warts (like basically everyone), but he is an elite defenceman in the NHL. Top 10, no doubt. Simple as that.

And you would bring up that I am Leafs fan. That isn't relevant to the discussion. Nice trying to deflect the conversation to something else. Pretty pathetic.

I wouldn't even care to comment back to you, but I have noticed you being so arrogant in all of your comments for so long and now you are objectively wrong and too afraid to admit it.

No because we are taking into consideration that you a Toronto fan thinks your team is the best based on the fan base I can pretty much spot on guess you. All you think about is he shoots scores misses or gets blocked.
Jan. 10, 2020 at 3:52 p.m.
No regretzkys
No because we are taking into consideration that you a Toronto fan thinks your team is the best based on the fan base I can pretty much spot on guess you. All you think about is he shoots scores misses or gets blocked.

Yeah of course, generalizing 5 million people is smart.

I feel bad for you man. Basement troll
Jan. 10, 2020 at 4:25 p.m.

Explaining basement troll. You have to be kidding me. For a person who probably never paid attention to any blues game in his life until Toronto plays him. Why not go back and watch the Toronto games or even any other game and see how many shots Binnington had to make and tramendous ones because Pietrangelo’s **** can’t get back.
Jan. 10, 2020 at 4:28 p.m.

“Generalizing” can’t really generalize when all you have said has no meaning behind it. If forwards don’t get back or we don’t have Binnington look what happened just go back to the first half of the season. The garbage can of defensive skill. I’d put a garbage can on the ice instead of him for defense at least the garbage can wouldn’t be caught in the Neutral zone while the play is in the D zone.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll