Forums/Armchair-GM

Tampa Cap math for 2020 and Cirelli

Created by: BOLTLOVER1
Team: 2019-20 Tampa Bay Lightning
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 12, 2020
Published: Jan. 12, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Realistic view of Tampa Cap for 2020/21 .. about 8M available with 13 players signed .. let's assume cap goes to 83M .. so about 9.5M available.

Now let's look at Tampa RFAs and what a "market short term deal" could look like .. assuming no offer sheets.

1. Cirelli ... 3 year 12M .. 4M AAV .. as I have always said.. poor mans Patrice Bergeron 2 way center .. still lacks offensive skill set but improving

2. Sergachev .. 3 years 4M AAV .. HUGE improvement last 2 months .. maturity and less mistakes .. still needs more time and perform in playoffs. McAvoy was 5M AAV and Serg abit less.

3. Cernek .. rock solid Defensive D .. Brandon Carlo twin .. 3 year 3M AAV

Soooooo.... there you have it .. another 11 to 13M for above if above is low .. let's call it 12M ..

So Tampa with 16 players signed would be around 3M over cap with another 10M needed to sign 7 to 8 other fill in players.. so how to shed/reduce 13M?

Answer .. Johnson and Gourde .. if Killorn leaves entire teams culture will be destroyed
Buyouts
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$79,967,498$0$1,180,000$1,532,502
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, C, LW
NTC
UFA - 5
$8,500,000$8,500,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 5
$5,300,000$5,300,000
LW, RW
NTC
UFA - 3
$4,450,000$4,450,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 4
$6,750,000$6,750,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$5,166,666$5,166,666
C, LW, RW
NTC
UFA - 6
$900,000$900,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,650,000$1,650,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RW
UFA - 8
$864,167$864,167
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$833,333$833,333
C
UFA - 1
$728,333$728,333 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
C, LW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,875,000$7,875,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 6
$1,750,000$1,750,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
G
UFA - 1
$6,750,000$6,750,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 7
$1,300,000$1,300,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$1,300,000$1,300,000
G
UFA - 2
$1,700,000$1,700,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
RD
UFA - 1
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$697,500$697,500 (Performance Bonus$147,500$148K)
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 12, 2020 at 11:35 a.m.
BOLT LOVER
Also .. as much as Gourde contract is one of worst in NHL . dont anyone dear defend him .. the Tyler Johnson contract is not quite that terrible and he could fit in at Calgary or a western conference team .. but seriously I would give up a 1st rounder to get out of Gourde contract.. could appeal to Devils Wings etc .. teams in multiple year rebuilds
Jan. 12, 2020 at 1:32 p.m.
Quoting: Zwui21
What dumb GM would trade Sergachev away when he's shown that he's becoming a ****ing stud?
McDonagh will be exposed at the Expansion draft, and if Seattle takes him it'll be fine.
The protection draft list will be this one:
Stamkos, Kuch, Point, Cirelli, Hedman, Sergachev, Cernak, C. Foote, Vas

I think McD has a decent chance of being protected instead of Foote. Unless McD has fallen off a cliff by the end of next year, I think the Bolts may try and work a deal with Seattle to have them not take Foote and still keep McD. If I had to guess, TJ is the.most likely target for them in this scenario.
Jan. 12, 2020 at 2:20 p.m.
Quoting: truculence67
Yes I think an additional million dollars per year actually does make up for that.

Well so far it seems it didn't, as both Stammer and Hedman decided to stay in Tampa while taking less and Point didn't care about an offer sheet (that would have paid him better money) because he wanted to stay in Tampa.
Come at me with some facts and not only your personal opinion.
Jan. 12, 2020 at 2:23 p.m.
Quoting: palhal
This obsevation is true though, this offseason will definitely be very interesting for Tampa.

BS argument? You're living in fantasy. Most NHL teams are close to to the cap or even with their own RFA signing over the cap. Killorn puts those teams on the trade list. Now those teams now have to finding suitors for their unwanted players. You know it's a really reduced reality trade list. Sure would like to see a Killorn trade with the posting to his new team.[/quote]

Where can I find the current cap hit per team in 2020 offseason? I looked and I can't find it, and it would definitely give me a better overlook on the situation.
But you are mad if you think that Tampa will have problems selling Killorn. We are not even talking about what return, but JBB won't have problems shipping him. We eventually wouldn't get the best return, but if JBB wants him gone he'll be gone. You should know that by now.
Jan. 12, 2020 at 2:24 p.m.
Quoting: PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood
Expansion draft is after next season. So that whole statement is irrelevant

I was answering to this, you clown.
Quote:
Bolts are in an awkward spot with the expansion coming up. They have 5 defense they probably want to protect (Hedman, McDonagh, Sergachev, Cernak and Foote), they also have a core group of forwards they want to protect.
Jan. 12, 2020 at 2:32 p.m.
It's like this guy thinks all other cities are Detroit or Buffalo. I also have never heard Tampa mentioned as one of the nicest cities in the US and Florida man memes certainly take some lustre out of the quality of life argument

Lmao I get that your attention span might be of about 10 seconds, but can you take in consideration a full sentence? Maybe a list will be easier for you to read:
- Contenders for years to come
- Roster full of talent
- World class, top notch training facilities, all new
- Living in warm weather. Train and go to the beach afterwards. Most players like it.
- Great and passionate fans that sellout the arena, but the players can go around the city without getting disturbed by fans asking for autographs and pics all the time. You can pretty much live a good live "out" of the spotlights.
- Coach that is one of the most appreciated by the players in the league.
- Well trusted front office
- Best owner in sports that is ready to give his team whatever it's in need
- No State Tax
- Not too much media that always asks for interviews

Find me another NHL franchise that offers this.
Jan. 12, 2020 at 2:32 p.m.
Banned
I was answering to this, you clown.
Quote:
Bolts are in an awkward spot with the expansion coming up. They have 5 defense they probably want to protect (Hedman, McDonagh, Sergachev, Cernak and Foote), they also have a core group of forwards they want to protect.

And still, you have to get to the expansion draft first. That is a whole different situation that is going to cause headaches.
Jan. 12, 2020 at 2:35 p.m.
Banned
Lmao I get that your attention span might be of about 10 seconds, but can you take in consideration a full sentence? Maybe a list will be easier for you to read:
- Contenders for years to come
- Roster full of talent
- World class, top notch training facilities, all new
- Living in warm weather. Train and go to the beach afterwards. Most players like it.
- Great and passionate fans that sellout the arena, but the players can go around the city without getting disturbed by fans asking for autographs and pics all the time. You can pretty much live a good live "out" of the spotlights.
- Coach that is one of the most appreciated by the players in the league.
- Well trusted front office
- Best owner in sports that is ready to give his team whatever it's in need
- No State Tax
- Not too much media that always asks for interviews

Find me another NHL franchise that offers this.

TO offers most of that, apart from the beaches. Their team is younger, has no bad contracts and has more money to offer bonus structures that are as advantageous as no tax. Also TO is not in Florida where mass shootings happen often. Plus your whole contender for years is short sighted. You have major problems coming your way, way too many bad contracts.
Jan. 12, 2020 at 2:41 p.m.
Quoting: BOLTLOVER1
Good discussion.. Zwui21 is now "Captain Disneyland" .. lol .. Killorn was JUST made Asst. Captain.. you DONT trade him as it will kill the locker room. This is a reality .. contracts matter to others on team. Gourde is HUGE issue on team .. zero doubt.

This discussion is why I suggested trading Cernek now and get veteran playoff assets .. I had previously endorsed trading Sergachev but he has progressd alot .. 1 of then needs to go .. in reality I think Tampa loses 1 of them to an offer sheet which isnt so bad. Patriots for years have lived on picks from players leaving .. turnover is GOOD thing in moderation

Sometimes I wonder if you are actually keeping up with what were our discussions in the past threads or if you simply reset your memory anytime a new thread comes up.
I know Killorn has been made an A. I know it would be better to keep him and ship either Johnson or Gourde (or both). BUT. As they both have NTC and Killorn would be the easier one to move, if none of the 5M shrimps (as you call them) would waive the clause, Killorn becomes the scapegoat and will be a cap casualty. If that was the case, would you rather keep Killorn and lose one of Cirelli/Sergy/Cernak? I wouldn not.
You would trade Cernak for a veteran? Lmao wow. One day you want a more physical team, the other you wanna trade away one of our best physical assets, that can also throw punches and always keep our opponents honest. But I'm not surprised by this, as you were supporting the idea of trading Sergachev away until two weeks ago.
None of the RFA has to go if we play our cards right.

And if a GM prefers keeping ****ing Killorn over one of our 3 great RFAs, he should be instantly fired into the sun.
Jan. 12, 2020 at 2:47 p.m.
Edited Jan. 12, 2020 at 2:57 p.m.
And still, you have to get to the expansion draft first. That is a whole different situation that is going to cause headaches.

I may not have expressed myself correctly.
I was just pointing out what the obvious protection list would look like if we get to re-sign all three of Cirelli/Sergachev/Cernak.
The guy was assuming Tampa could decide to trade Sergy this offseason because otherwise they'd have 5 Dman they wanted to protect. But that's bs, as JBB would protect Sergachev over McDonagh so the whole "Trade Sergachev now so that you can protect McDonagh" doesn't make sense. Who the hell would trade away a 21 years old that is clearely becoming an amazing all around Dman with #1-#2 potential a 30+ years old Dman with a contract that will end up to be too long for what he will bring on the table towards his last couple of years? Nobody.

It would actually be great for the Lightning to be able to get rid of McDonagh's contract via Expansion Draft. But I'll keep this for another thread.
Jan. 12, 2020 at 2:53 p.m.
Banned
I may not have expressed myself correctly.
I was just pointing out what the obvious protection list would look like if we get to re-sign all three of Cirelli/Sergachev/Cernak.
The guy was assuming Tampa could decide to trade Sergy this offseason because otherwise they'd have 5 Dman they wanted to protect. But that's bs, as JBB would protect Sergachev over McDonagh so the whole "Trade Sergachev now so that you can protect McDonagh" doesn't make sense. Who the hell would trade away a 21 years onl that is clearely becoming an amazing all around Dman with #1-#2 potential a 30+ years old Dman with a contract that will end up to be too long for what he will bring on the table towards his last couple of years? Nobody.

It would actually be great for the Lightning to be able to get rid of McDonagh's contract via Expansion Draft. But I'll keep this for another thread.

I agree with you on that one 100%
Zwui21 liked this.
Jan. 12, 2020 at 2:56 p.m.
TO offers most of that, apart from the beaches. Their team is younger, has no bad contracts and has more money to offer bonus structures that are as advantageous as no tax. Also TO is not in Florida where mass shootings happen often. Plus your whole contender for years is short sighted. You have major problems coming your way, way too many bad contracts.

Lmao.
Toronto? Talk to me about peaceful living. Talk to me about taxes. Talk to me about not being assaulted by fans for getting a photo or constantly getting the media in your face, always trying to get some sort of scoop.
The reality is that many players don't like that kind of exposure.

LOL you are talking about bad contracts and problems coming my way and you are a Toronto fan? Dude, you guys don't even have the cap space to get 1 capable Dman and you are talking smack about Tampa and its "bad contracts"?

Tampa won't be a contender for years? You are cute. When some problems come our way, some other get sorted. And we keep going.
You guys have been hoping for Tampa to crash since the summer Stamkos re-signed. "Oh, now Tampa won't be able to re-sign him, Tampa won't be able to resign this guy". Every single summer. And still, here we are. In the best shape we've ever been.
And our prospect system is full of cheap ELC guys that can fill the gaps when we need.
Jan. 12, 2020 at 3:08 p.m.
Banned
Lmao.
Toronto? Talk to me about peaceful living. Talk to me about taxes. Talk to me about not being assaulted by fans for getting a photo or constantly getting the media in your face, always trying to get some sort of scoop.

LOL you are talking about bad contracts and problems coming my way and you are a Toronto fan? Dude, you guys don't even have the cap space to get 1 capable Dman and you are talking smack about Tampa and its "bad contracts"?

Tampa won't be a contender for years? You are cute. When some problems come our way, some other get sorted. And we keep going.
You guys have been hoping for Tampa to crash since the summer Stamkos re-signed. "Oh, now Tampa won't be able to re-sign him, Tampa won't be able to resign this guy". Every single summer. And still, here we are. In the best shape we've ever been.
And our prospect system is full of cheap ELC guys that can fill the gaps when we need.

Since Keefe took over TO is top 10 in goals against. TO is a powder keg from the media standpoint sure, but it's also a draw for some to play for a team where everyone cares. Also as I mentioned bonus money is as big if not bigger advantage and TO can max out everyone's bonus money which means they can get more money immediately and invest it to make more over the long-run.

The whole TO doesn't have a decent defenceman aregument is all just nonsense. Rielly, Barrie, Muzzin are all top pair defenders. Holl has been really good as has Dermott and with Liljegren and Sandin on the way they are going to be really good in the future. It's just a tired old anti TO rhetoric that has no real footing.
Jan. 12, 2020 at 3:15 p.m.
Banned
Lmao.

Also you would probably get more positive comments of you dropped all the condecending comments like, "your cute" and the rest of that stuff. Just makes you look like a jerk.
Jan. 12, 2020 at 3:21 p.m.
Since Keefe took over TO is top 10 in goals against. TO is a powder keg from the media standpoint sure, but it's also a draw for some to play for a team where everyone cares. Also as I mentioned bonus money is as big if not bigger advantage and TO can max out everyone's bonus money which means they can get more money immediately and invest it to make more over the long-run.

The whole TO doesn't have a decent defenceman aregument is all just nonsense. Rielly, Barrie, Muzzin are all top pair defenders. Holl has been really good as has Dermott and with Liljegren and Sandin on the way they are going to be really good in the future. It's just a tired old anti TO rhetoric that has no real footing.

Vinik is a billionaire, Tampa gives out Signing Bonuses too if needed without a problem.

Toronto is also one of the softest teams in the league that gets spanked year in and year out by Boston in the first round. Not really the team I'd be the most thrilled to join all things considered. Very talented team, don't get me wrong, but misses experience and doesn't seems to be equipped with what's needed to win a playoff series. Yes, you could say something about the comical CBJ sweep, but the reality is that Tampa made it twice to the EFC (losing on game 7 to the eventual Stanley Cup winner) and once to the Stanley Cup final in the last three years.

All the pressure from the fans and the media is something that don't get talked about a lot but that players value a ton.

Rielly, Barrie are good offensive Dman, but are not exactly what I call a good Dman in their own zone. Muzzin is okay, but will you be able to get him back next season?
Lijiegren and Sandin are both great prospects but both are offensive minded and don't excel on the defensive side.
Jan. 12, 2020 at 3:22 p.m.
Also you would probably get more positive comments of you dropped all the condecending comments like, "your cute" and the rest of that stuff. Just makes you look like a jerk.

I know, I just got heated answering some previous posts and unloaded it on you too. Sorry for that.
Jan. 12, 2020 at 5:21 p.m.
Banned
Vinik is a billionaire, Tampa gives out Signing Bonuses too if needed without a problem.

Toronto is also one of the softest teams in the league that gets spanked year in and year out by Boston in the first round. Not really the team I'd be the most thrilled to join all things considered. Very talented team, don't get me wrong, but misses experience and doesn't seems to be equipped with what's needed to win a playoff series. Yes, you could say something about the comical CBJ sweep, but the reality is that Tampa made it twice to the EFC (losing on game 7 to the eventual Stanley Cup winner) and once to the Stanley Cup final in the last three years.

All the pressure from the fans and the media is something that don't get talked about a lot but that players value a ton.

Rielly, Barrie are good offensive Dman, but are not exactly what I call a good Dman in their own zone. Muzzin is okay, but will you be able to get him back next season?
Lijiegren and Sandin are both great prospects but both are offensive minded and don't excel on the defensive side.

Liljegren is not really an offensive defenceman, it's what many think he is but it's not his best attribute. He's more of a better very of Stralman, a terrific skater and so sound defensively. He's going to be a really good two way guy. Sandin is like Duncan Keith just smooth as hell.
Jan. 12, 2020 at 5:22 p.m.
Banned
I know, I just got heated answering some previous posts and unloaded it on you too. Sorry for that.

It's all good, I just think we can all be less emotional and more civil and this site would be a lot better for it. I am guilty of the same often enough.
Zwui21 liked this.
Jan. 12, 2020 at 7:30 p.m.
BOLT LOVER
Jeesh Zwiu21 .. aka Captain Disneyland. . who pissed in your cheerios.. LOL .. be like me.. a lover not a fighter. BUT you are certainly in minority on Killorn .. Having PLAYED hockey you never give a guy an A if he going to be traded.. it worse than trading a player you just gave contract to .. which always brings us back to Gourde .. the 27 year old low skilled undrafted 10 year AHL player we gave 32M and an NTC to after 1 year. fed by Kuch and Stamkos .. . JBB is a piece of crap GM and why you defend him is questionable as to if you paid by the team ..
Jan. 12, 2020 at 11:05 p.m.
Lol Gourde is far from "unskilled," your hatred of him is.just comical. Yes he is having a rough year, and if he is willing to waive then sure move him, but Killorn being traded has been discussed and could be seen for awhile now. Yes it's great that he's got the A and looks to finally score more than .5 ppg for a season, but Zwui21 is correct that most seemed just fine trading him before this season bc of the cap situation. If the option is trading him for likely the best return Tampa could expect after his best year, or losing one of Sergachev or Cirelli instead(as Cernak will come in much lower), it's a pretty simple decision. Killorn is.on the wrong side.of 30 now and despite this season, he is the easiest to move of the 4 ~5million guys.
Zwui21 liked this.
Jan. 13, 2020 at 10:23 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: BOLTLOVER1
Ah don't try to compliment me Stammerwoman .. cool .. but you do bring up a good point .. even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while... waiving NTCs are MUCH more common than completed offer sheets.

While there are some waiving of NTC, 99% of the time, it's because 1. The player is on an expiring contract and wants to go a team with chance at a Cup. 2. The player wants to leave a poor team to a better team.
Since the Lightining don't meet the criteria, I don't see players waiving just because "someone has to go". If a player likes it in Tampa, he isn't falling on the sword. Let management trade other players.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll