Forums/Armchair-GM

Sam Reinhart and Tyler Toffoli

Created by: kscoop
Team: 2019-20 Boston Bruins
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 7, 2020
Published: Feb. 7, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Tried something different. Losing Grzylcyk isn't ideal but with Vaakanainen/Lauzon/Zboril in the mix for next year plus the potential re-signing of Krug, Sweeney deals from a position of strength. Adding Sam Reinhart would solve the Bruins RW problems for years to come. I also think the Kings would gladly accept the deal for Toffoli.
Trades
BOS
  1. Toffoli, Tyler ($2,300,000 retained)
LAK
  1. Kuhlman, Karson
  2. 2020 3rd round pick (BOS)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$81,500,000$79,194,167$0$2,490,000$2,305,833
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$6,125,000$6,125,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$6,875,000$6,875,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
$6,666,667$6,666,667
RW
UFA - 4
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$450,000$450K)
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$7,250,000$7,250,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$3,650,000$3,650,000
RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,200,000$3,200,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
$2,300,000$2,300,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,275,000$1,275,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,900,000$4,900,000
RD
UFA - 3
$7,000,000$7,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,850,000$2,850,000
RD
UFA - 2
$2,750,000$2,750,000
G
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000 (Performance Bonus$1,750,000$2M)
LD
NMC
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000 (Performance Bonus$20,000$20K)
RD
UFA - 1
$747,500$747,500 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
RD
UFA - 2
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LD
UFA - 4
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 7, 2020 at 12:55 p.m.
Quoting: BiscuitBakesandHotTaeks
Lol steen a solid prospect he has 16pts in 46 AHL games that’s awful

Love how you judge a player solely on points.....you must be a Sabres fan.
Feb. 7, 2020 at 12:57 p.m.
Quoting: Hawksince71
Actually, it looks pretty on paper, but it isn’t that great for Buffalo. Reinhart, 2nd overall, 60+ points centre, playing behind Eichel, for a 3rd, 4th and 6th round players.That first won’t be the great either, as Buffalo would be drafting at the bottom. Upgrade with Carlo, Studnicka & the first.

Carlo + Studnicka + 1st wouldn't get you Reinhart it would get you Eichel or close to it.
Feb. 7, 2020 at 1:21 p.m.
Quoting: Hawksince71
Actually, it looks pretty on paper, but it isn’t that great for Buffalo. Reinhart, 2nd overall, 60+ points centre, playing behind Eichel, for a 3rd, 4th and 6th round players.That first won’t be the great either, as Buffalo would be drafting at the bottom. Upgrade with Carlo, Studnicka & the first.

Reinhart is a rw. The ship pretty much sailed on him being a center. He is hardly my favorite player, he is never going to get traded though. We have nothing up front and this is pretty well set up to be a grab bag of disappointment, pretty much the ror trade all over. We will probably give him at least a million more than we should, probably after a lengthy holdout. I would move him for another young winger that can skate and is capable of the 25 goals and 65 points that he is good for. Any takers? Didn't think so.
Feb. 7, 2020 at 1:23 p.m.
Quoting: kscoop
He hasn't been part of the solution yet. I say this, the Bruins in the span of 15 years traded Thornton and Seguin both worse trades than the proposed for Reinhart who isn't on the same planet as Joe and Seguin , however those trades allowed the Bruins to add pieces elsewhere to the point of winning a cup and being competitive every year.

BOS won a cup with Seguin. Since trading him, BOS has no cups - so not sure how trading him got you "to the point of winning a cup" since BOS won the cup BEFORE trading him. I think you're a little mixed up there. But how exactly did trading Thornton help BOS win a cup? Sure, they won a cup after trading him - but how did that trade specifically help? Would Thornton not have helped more?
Feb. 7, 2020 at 1:30 p.m.
Quoting: villenash
BOS won a cup with Seguin. Since trading him, BOS has no cups - so not sure how trading him got you "to the point of winning a cup" since BOS won the cup BEFORE trading him. I think you're a little mixed up there. But how exactly did trading Thornton help BOS win a cup? Sure, they won a cup after trading him - but how did that trade specifically help? Would Thornton not have helped more?

Well since you asked: Trading Thornton opened up the door in adding Chara/Savard (Arguably the greatest July 1 in history) Chara is a cup winner and completely changed the culture in the Bruins locker room and beat the crap out of anybody who tried taking liberties on any one of his teammates. Seguin was on the cup team and while I wish the Bruins had him I wouldn't pay him 10 per. Pay Seguin 10 or have Marchand and Pastrnak for 12.6??

Do you see where i'm going with this? Sabres mistake was giving Skinner 9 per. Reinhart is a RFA this summer... whats he ask for?? all this while not making the playoffs since Jesus walked the Earth.
Hawksince71 liked this.
Feb. 7, 2020 at 1:47 p.m.
Well since you asked: Trading Thornton opened up the door in adding Chara/Savard (Arguably the greatest July 1 in history) Chara is a cup winner and completely changed the culture in the Bruins locker room and beat the crap out of anybody who tried taking liberties on any one of his teammates. Seguin was on the cup team and while I wish the Bruins had him I wouldn't pay him 10 per. Pay Seguin 10 or have Marchand and Pastrnak for 12.6??

Do you see where i'm going with this? Sabres mistake was giving Skinner 9 per. Reinhart is a RFA this summer... whats he ask for?? all this while not making the playoffs since Jesus walked the Earth.

I agree that Skinner is overpaid.

But did Savard win the cup for BOS - not really. He was a fantastic player, but he didn't play in the playoffs that year because of injury and only played 25 games that entire year. Unfortunate, but he didn't propel that team to winning the cup because he wasn't even on the ice. The players that Thornton was traded for basically made up his cap-hit at the time. So let's just say that they only signed one of Chara/Savard and kept Thornton (let's say Chara) - maybe that gets them the cup sooner. Because Savard did not help them win a cup when he was healthy unfortunately. All I'm saying is that trading Thornton did not set this team on the path to win the cup. Signing Chara was definitely big, and they could've done that while still keeping Thornton. Maybe they don't sign Savard (not sure of the BOS cap that year), but who knows what would've happened in this alternate universe. I just don't explicitly see how losing Thornton won BOS the cup.
Feb. 7, 2020 at 1:53 p.m.
I know Kuhlman isn't a sexy name but he is a good young player. Everybody thinks that every trade requires equal value at the time of trade but that is never the case. Kings need futures as they will lose Toffoli for nothing. Kuhlman is playing good for the Bruins atm looking like an everyday player that plays with great speed and is responsible defensively. I bet the Bruins wouldn't make this trade.

Why would the Kings lose Toffoli for nothing? If they Kings don't trade him they'll re-sign him. He has made it very clear that he wants to stay. However the Kings are in a rebuild and need picks and prospects, so Toffoli's trade value is worth more to the team than he is right now. If they don't get the trade offer they want, they'll re-sign him.

Asking price for Toffoli is a 2nd and a prospect. I think Boston is an unlikely destination for Toffoli, as their 2nd round pick is going to be later in the round than other potential trade targets (around 60th overall vs 45th overall for some playoff bubble teams). If Boston wants him, they'll have to do better on the prospect front than a team like Carolina or the Islanders. 2nd and Lauko would get it done since he is expansion exempt, but 2nd and Senyshyn would also likely get it done. Kings wouldn't take Kuhlman as the main return, and Shen and Zboril aren't good enough considering the later draft pick.

My expectation is that Toffoli will be traded to one of Calgary, Carolina, or Long Island.
Feb. 7, 2020 at 1:56 p.m.
I agree that Skinner is overpaid.

But did Savard win the cup for BOS - not really. He was a fantastic player, but he didn't play in the playoffs that year because of injury and only played 25 games that entire year. Unfortunate, but he didn't propel that team to winning the cup because he wasn't even on the ice. The players that Thornton was traded for basically made up his cap-hit at the time. So let's just say that they only signed one of Chara/Savard and kept Thornton (let's say Chara) - maybe that gets them the cup sooner. Because Savard did not help them win a cup when he was healthy unfortunately. All I'm saying is that trading Thornton did not set this team on the path to win the cup. Signing Chara was definitely big, and they could've done that while still keeping Thornton. Maybe they don't sign Savard (not sure of the BOS cap that year), but who knows what would've happened in this alternate universe. I just don't explicitly see how losing Thornton won BOS the cup.

People were losing it at the time of the Thornton trade, myself included and the Bruins had a horrid year shortly after but they recovered nicely. Bruins traded two franchise players is my point for crumbs. Reinhart is a good player, but he is nowhere that of Thornton or Seguin. The offer is fair for a winger but surely if he was made available every team would make a better offer.

Heinen - good player who can play line 2 or 3 effectively. Excellent possession player and can play on the PP.

Grzelcyk - Extremely good 2nd pairing dman that is extremely mobile and can play PP.

Oskar Steen - 1st year pro and is improving. Plays centre and plays with an edge.

2020 1st round pick - draft is extremely deep so don't give me "The Bruins pick will be 25 or later" nonsense.

That seems like a very solid package for a winger that scores points playing with an elite centre in Eichel.
Feb. 7, 2020 at 2:43 p.m.
BiscuitBakesHotTaeks
Love how you judge a player solely on points.....you must be a Sabres fan.

I base a player on points when he’s a 22yo prospect that is currently putting up an NHLe season of fourteen (14) points over an 82 game season lol. GTFOH with that weak sauce pigeon.
Feb. 7, 2020 at 5:06 p.m.
Quoting: BiscuitBakesandHotTaeks
I base a player on points when he’s a 22yo prospect that is currently putting up an NHLe season of fourteen (14) points over an 82 game season lol. GTFOH with that weak sauce pigeon.

You don’t watch enough games.
Feb. 8, 2020 at 10:14 a.m.

Yeah, that pissed me off that the Senators chose Redden over Chara. Seriously, at the position of defence, does anybody need to think about this?
Feb. 8, 2020 at 11:58 a.m.
MisstheWhalers
Not a Sabres or Bruins fan but the trade as proposed here makes zero sense for the Sabres, they need to add a Reinhart type talent not subtract one and the pieces going the Sabres way aren't anything they need.
Seriously this would just be another O'Reilly trade for them.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll