Forums/Armchair-GM

Domi and Marner

Created by: Billy739
Team: 2019-20 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 13, 2020
Published: Feb. 13, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Domi deal done at the Draft in 2020 for MTL's 9th OA pick among other things.
the rest are done in the summertime

MTL will still have to Sell on Tatar and either Gallagher or Armia (likely BG ).
by then Caufield will be close to needing 1/2 exiting middle 6 players spots
Tatar we just can afford to keep as he's owed a payday and someone will give it to him just not us.
Trades
MTL
  1. Marner, Mitchell
Additional Details:
-TML has 4.1m cap after this deal
-Addressed :
Goaltending depth
RD Quality
-Domi's obviously a step down from Marner but the perfect piece to keep fans happy while your drafted players with the two 1st's and two 2nds develop . (potentially third 1st if Petry dont re-sign)
TOR
  1. Domi, Max
  2. Petry, Jeff ($2,750,000 retained)
  3. Primeau, Cayden
  4. 2020 1st round pick (MTL)
  5. 2020 2nd round pick (MTL)
  6. 2021 1st round pick (MTL)
  7. 2022 2nd round pick (MTL)
Additional Details:
-Domi agree's to 7 year 5.5m deal with 50% in salary bonus guaranteed for taking less money .(deal getting don is key)
-Primeau gives TML a top undisputed Goalie Prospect to play behind Anderson in the future but for no to finish the season in the AHL.

-Conditional 2nd in 2022 becomes a 1st if Petry doesnt re-sign .
MTL
  1. Niku, Sami
  2. 2020 1st round pick (WPG)
WPG
  1. Danault, Phillip
Additional Details:
will take on whatever contract needed to balance the cap if needed
MTL
  1. Miller, Colin
Additional Details:
each players in a situation where their caps higher then their value to their own team . Weal could get more minutes in BUF while Miller could rebound and get his career back on track in a Claude Juliens system again .

i believe Millers term/cap vs play makes this fair
BUF
  1. Weal, Jordan
  2. 2020 3rd round pick (MTL)
Additional Details:
he'll help Niku eat some of the big minutes Petry put up
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$75,872,920$0$4,260,000$5,627,080
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$4,800,000$4,800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
C
UFA - 3
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$10,893,000$10,893,000
RW
UFA - 6
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C
UFA - 2
$3,750,000$3,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$350,000$350,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C, LW
UFA - 2
$2,600,000$2,600,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$2,400,000$2,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
C
UFA - 1
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$7,857,143$7,857,143
RD
UFA - 7
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 7
$748,333$748,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$775,000$775,000 (Performance Bonus$60,000$60K)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$3,875,000$3,875,000
RD
UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 14, 2020 at 12:00 a.m.
Billy739
Quoting: EzioUchiha
I think the Leafs would take this and run. Habs gave up...
- one of the top goalie prospect in the NHL (Primeau). Primeau is essential Habs' "insurance policy" in goaltending.
- Top 4 RHD-man in Petry
- 1 lottery pick in a deep 2020 draft (possibly a 2nd lottery pick in 2021)
- two 2nd rounds.
- a very good winger in Domi

Sure losing Marner sucks but Domi would be fine even though he won't get the same AMT of points as Marner would.

Meanwhile, I can't see Montreal making the playoffs even with Marner. With those trade, their D-Core got worse (Price will get even more inconsistent than he is right now) and they lost their most reliable centre in Danault.

Agreed we wont this year
Next year though i am hopefull a full year of Marner-Suzuki together will produce great things.

plus it give KK time to adjust and re-group for his 3rd year pro as a 20 year old
Poehling's looked stronger as the year goes on and i think coming into next camp he takes 4th C and top PK earning minutes from there.

you are right though selling Danault now was stupid but it was to show we can always re-coop picks by selling our UFA's .
i wanted an example to use and everytime i use Tatar they tell me off :P (leaving Danault by proxy as i wouldnt move Gally now )
Feb. 14, 2020 at 12:02 a.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Quoting: Billy739
did you just equate Lucic to Suzuki and think that made you sound smart?

hahaha wow , ok

No I didn't equate that at all...
You said they train together - OK. What do you think that will equate to on the ice? Super-Celly's? Points? Wins? Cups?
Fact of the matter is, Marner hasn't done squat for the Leafs! No titles, banners, cups, ribbons; butkas. He has however, drained the MLSE bank account...
Feb. 14, 2020 at 12:02 a.m.
Billy739
Quoting: EzioUchiha
I don't think the GM cares about the relationship between Marner and Suzuki unless it turns into another Hoffman-Karlsson BS. Speaking of Karlsson, the former Sens captain didn't like Vlasic but now they are on very good terms.

yeah its more the training aspect i'm interested in
on ice chemistry even if its just a small amount its something to build on

there's a ton of cheaper players who could potentially offer the same service
its just an idea
Feb. 14, 2020 at 12:06 a.m.
GM - Canucks
yeah because they're the problem ..... history has shown us from 1970-now Molson's politics and outdated philosophy are at fault .
if not for Patrick Roy they'd be rivaling TML for most years without a cup

Molson week 1 of ownership screwed the franchise drafting only our 2nd top 50 french born player since 2001 taking Leblanc ranked later over Kreider who had fallen into our laps . 2014 comes and Price goes down in the ECF and i know Molson regretted it wishing he bought the team just a week later .

Molson week 2 bundles a bunch of the prospects the good owner in Mr Gillette drafted with the 'best for the job' motto and traded them for Gomez .

Molson week 3 didnt offer Koivu a deal then low balled Kovalev

should i continue ?

Molsons 100% of the time is the problem
the pieces come and go but the mediocrity remains the same .

Since 1969 Molson has only won 2 cups of their own account and 3 overall (after rebuying the 1970's dynasty the Bronfmans built on 'best for the job '' motto , Molson won a cup and then went 7 years without and another 8-9 after that without and then 25 years without . Each passing decade their philosophy proves its outdated and cannot produce a winning team .

We'll force them out again and hopefully this time we'll learn prioritize winning over speaking French or being born in Quebec .

Enjoyed reading your very informed and enlightening comments and have realized something has not been right in Montreal for a long-time and the fans deserve better. The Canadiens need to go back to their identity and roots and start playing firewagon hockey again and load up and draft more French Canadian players who have pride playing in Montreal and actually hire a competent GM to run the team.
Billy739 liked this.
Feb. 14, 2020 at 12:14 a.m.
Billy739
Quoting: TMLSage
Enjoyed reading your very informed and enlightening comments and have realized something has not been right in Montreal for a long-time and the fans deserve better. The Canadiens need to go back to their identity and roots and start playing firewagon hockey again and load up and draft more French Canadian players who have pride playing in Montreal and actually hire a competent GM to run the team.

it all started with how they handled the league expanding past 6 teams and that they would lose rights to french players potentially missing a Dionne or two unlike years past .
that's when the whole ''french first'' thing started .

dont get me wrong you want that to but never over the best player available .
if Molson never Sold then Dryden never becomes a Habs and we'd still be rocking french goalies 1970-1980 .

its been painful to see Molson represent french interests
i'd rather the Qubecor that wanted to buy Nordique's expansion team to buy out Molson
they never sacrificed talent to draft french instead including many of the players from Sundin to Selanne in their culture hoping they'd learn .

Molsons the cancer and i think other french Quebec based owners wouldnt make these mistakes .

For example did you know that 19/24 cups MTL won came under English Coaching staff?(billingual but english)
The greatest GM in MTL history was english but billingual

that's where the emphasis should be IMO
TMLSage liked this.
Feb. 14, 2020 at 12:32 a.m.
GM - Canucks
it all started with how they handled the league expanding past 6 teams and that they would lose rights to french players potentially missing a Dionne or two unlike years past .
that's when the whole ''french first'' thing started .

dont get me wrong you want that to but never over the best player available .
if Molson never Sold then Dryden never becomes a Habs and we'd still be rocking french goalies 1970-1980 .

its been painful to see Molson represent french interests
i'd rather the Qubecor that wanted to buy Nordique's expansion team to buy out Molson
they never sacrificed talent to draft french instead including many of the players from Sundin to Selanne in their culture hoping they'd learn .

Molsons the cancer and i think other french Quebec based owners wouldnt make these mistakes .

For example did you know that 19/24 cups MTL won came under English Coaching staff?(billingual but english)
The greatest GM in MTL history was english but billingual

that's where the emphasis should be IMO

You build a great team by having great people running your team. The Molsons do not seem to appreciate this concept. Frank Selke and Sam Pollock were great GM's for the Canadiens for years and were the architects for alot of the really great Montreal teams. I wonder how many more cups the Leafs would have won if Frank Selke had not resigned from Leafs to become the GM in Montreal.
Billy739 liked this.
Feb. 14, 2020 at 8:59 a.m.
This Leafs-Habs trade is very fun. There would be bad blood for years and would make things entertaining. Great job on a very reasonable offer.

The question is would Toronto take it. I would be inclined to say no, simply because they don't need that much draft capital.Now, if you can remove the two second rounders and add in somebody like Cale Fleury (or take one out for Noah Juulsen) that would interest me more. Leafs need more players closer to contributing at the NHL level, a 2nd round pick could be 4 years away.

It's also VERY difficult to trade away an all-star like Marner with his vision and creativity. It would hurt and would have to make the Leafs better now and in the future. Interesting trade though, lots of fun.
Billy739 and TMLSage liked this.
Feb. 14, 2020 at 9:57 a.m.
I can't see the logic in doing this Leafs trade. Adding more offense whilst losing the offense Domi provides, the defense that Petry provides and the prospect depth that Primeau and all those picks will provide will all but certainly offset the gain in offense Marner would provide us.

Not to mention that Marners numbers come from playing alongside guys like Matthews and Tavares. Even if guys like Suzuki and Kotkaniemi will be good players one day they more than likely won't be Matthews and Tavares good. And that is no insult to say.

Your paying all that to get a 90 point winger. What you probably getting is a 70 point winger whose making 10M+ and a team that is no better than the one you had previously. In fact it'll be visibly worse....

Just to put things into perspective for a second:

Petry @ 50% = MINIMUM one 1st rounder 2020
Domi = MINIMUM one 1st rounder 2020
Primeau = MINIMUM a 2nd rounder 2020

Add that to the two 1sts and two 2nds and the Habs just paid the Leafs, a division rival:

1st 2020 (One of these is a lottery pick BTW)
1st 2020
1st 2020
1st 2021
2nd 2020
2nd 2020
2nd 2022

Thats IF you are being modest with player values. Domi and Petry are worth more than just one 1st rounder each. Look at what Zucker got from Pitts....

Habs could offer sheet the next big star RFA @ 13-14-15M a year and still only pay four 1st rounders over the next 4 years...... you do realize that right?

I'm sorry but there is no way you can make a case for this to make sense.
Feb. 14, 2020 at 7:00 p.m.
Billy739
Edited Feb. 14, 2020 at 7:07 p.m.
Quoting: F50marco
I can't see the logic in doing this Leafs trade. Adding more offense whilst losing the offense Domi provides, the defense that Petry provides and the prospect depth that Primeau and all those picks will provide will all but certainly offset the gain in offense Marner would provide us.

Not to mention that Marners numbers come from playing alongside guys like Matthews and Tavares. Even if guys like Suzuki and Kotkaniemi will be good players one day they more than likely won't be Matthews and Tavares good. And that is no insult to say.

Your paying all that to get a 90 point winger. What you probably getting is a 70 point winger whose making 10M+ and a team that is no better than the one you had previously. In fact it'll be visibly worse....

Just to put things into perspective for a second:

Petry @ 50% = MINIMUM one 1st rounder 2020
Domi = MINIMUM one 1st rounder 2020
Primeau = MINIMUM a 2nd rounder 2020

Add that to the two 1sts and two 2nds and the Habs just paid the Leafs, a division rival:

1st 2020 (One of these is a lottery pick BTW)
1st 2020
1st 2020
1st 2021
2nd 2020
2nd 2020
2nd 2022

Thats IF you are being modest with player values. Domi and Petry are worth more than just one 1st rounder each. Look at what Zucker got from Pitts....

Habs could offer sheet the next big star RFA @ 13-14-15M a year and still only pay four 1st rounders over the next 4 years...... you do realize that right?

I'm sorry but there is no way you can make a case for this to make sense.

your POV based on your evaluation of Marner which is just wrong as he's made those around him better at all levels .

value has to be given on both sides of the trade
otherwise its just a wishlist

your evaluations arent far off on the Habs side
but as far as your evaluation on Leafs players i find its naive .

i did overpay a 1st and a prospect in Primeau which should have been lesser pieces but we can live with this price if it gets TML on board.
we can recoop the cost later .

Look at it this way , we have a sniper now and our offense look strong for years with Marner , Gally and Armia on RW , Drouin,Lehkonen , and few promising Junior /euro prospects . Suzuki , KK ,Poehling and Evans . As the Caufields , Ylonens,Teasdale's ,Harris's , Stapley's and Hillis turn Pro we can sell off other veterans for a profit .
TMLSage liked this.
Feb. 15, 2020 at 11:27 a.m.
your POV based on your evaluation of Marner which is just wrong as he's made those around him better at all levels .

value has to be given on both sides of the trade
otherwise its just a wishlist

your evaluations arent far off on the Habs side
but as far as your evaluation on Leafs players i find its naive .

i did overpay a 1st and a prospect in Primeau which should have been lesser pieces but we can live with this price if it gets TML on board.
we can recoop the cost later .

Look at it this way , we have a sniper now and our offense look strong for years with Marner , Gally and Armia on RW , Drouin,Lehkonen , and few promising Junior /euro prospects . Suzuki , KK ,Poehling and Evans . As the Caufields , Ylonens,Teasdale's ,Harris's , Stapley's and Hillis turn Pro we can sell off other veterans for a profit .

Who said anything about him not making others better? Im in board with adding Marner but the price you are paying for him is asinine.

Like I said, your gaining Marner sure, great, but your losing Domi and Petry in the process. That means your not getting that much better. The defense without Petry is atrocious. 1 more Weber injury and its the worst in the league.

I think you misinterpreted my comment as a "Marner isnt that good" comment when in it actually was "Habs +Marner-Domi&Petry = not a better team by enough to warrant also throwing in Primeau and FIVE high draft picks"

Saying "we can recoop later" also is another reason why this doesnt make sense because it involves the Habs losing MORE assets to regain the ones we lost.

Aside from all this, your paying one if the highest prices ever made in NHL history for yet another winger! A position that the Habs actually have decent already. Want to overpay someone? Go get Rasmus Dahlin or Cale Makar or something. That at least is a position of need.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll