SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Mock-Draft

2020 Mock w/ Explanations

2020 Mock w/ Explanations

Draft Class: 2020
Created By: Fedoraguy33
Published: May 26, 2020 at 11:10 p.m.
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-Detroit wins the Lafreniere sweepstakes and select him first overall without thinking twice about it.
2Logo of the Ottawa Senators-Byfield is the clear 2nd best player in this entire draft. Ottawa selects him with the first of their back to back picks.
3Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the San Jose SharksAs of right now, Ottawa’s 2 best centres are Chris Tierney and Colin White. These two selections will benefit them in a huge way. Stützle can also play wing.
4Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-Even though Drysdale could be chosen by the Kings, I have a difficult time believing his potential in becoming a Byram/Makar kind of player; so they take Raymond, who possesses Mitch Marner comparisons.
5Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-Drysdale doesn’t drop any further as Anaheim selects him 5th overall. I hope he can transition into a player similar to that of Makar!
6Logo of the New Jersey Devils-Holtz has the best shot in the draft. He can score from all over the ice. Will play great alongside Hughes in the near future.
7Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-A very underrated centre. Owns a great overall game. No real flaws in his game except his size. He will be an impressive 2nd line centre under Eichel.
8Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-Montreal takes Perfetti who can score goals, possesses lots of skill as well as a high hockey IQ. Great puck handler who uses great vision and awareness on the ice.
9Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-While I don’t completely agree with this pick with still lots of talent on the board still, it does make sense for them to choose him as goalies like him don’t come everyday.
10Logo of the New Jersey DevilsLogo of the Arizona CoyotesThe second best D-man, the Devils could use him as they don’t have very many great Defensive prospects and just gave up Vatanen and Greene this past season.
11Logo of the Minnesota Wild-One of the best two-way players from this draft. Nothing too eye-popping about his play but is a NHL ready Centre who can make the jump this season.
12Logo of the Vancouver Canucks-I would love to have Vancouver take a D-man but Quinn is too good to pass up. Like Holtz he possesses a fantastic shot as well as just a great overall game.
13Logo of the Nashville Predators-Has the potential to become a great 2nd line C with maybe 60-70 points a year. Plays a well rounded 200ft game with defensive upside. Bo Horvat comparison.
14Logo of the Florida Panthers-Florida desperately needs D-men. Plays a good two-way game especially in the defensive zone. Plays with great competitiveness and smarts.
15Logo of the Calgary Flames-With Brodie/Hamonic potentially leaving Calgary this year, they might also be in need of D-men. Plays a big physical with some offensive upside; will fit well with the flames.
16Logo of the New York Rangers-Rangers love their european players as they take one here. He has a high hockey IQ with lots of untaped talent Models his game after Matthews and Kucherov. Already plays in the KHL as a 18yr old.
17Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-Plays with a combination of old-school grittiness and new-school skill, plays a strong two-way game with great vision, speed and a high hockey IQ.
18Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the New York IslandersA big riser in this draft playing in the SHL. Ottawa already took 2 of the best forwards. A big RD to play in the Sens top four someday.
19Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-One of my favourite prospects in this draft. He is a Small but speedy, creative winger with great hockey IQ. Had a monster season this year in the WHL. Kailer Yamamoto 2.0?
20Logo of the Carolina HurricanesLogo of the Toronto Maple LeafsCarolina is set prospect-wise. they don’t really need much. They select BPA in Mercer. He is a smart play-creating winger with a strong 200ft game.
21Logo of the New York RangersLogo of the Carolina HurricanesThe Rangers don’t really have great Centre prospects. They select Lapierre to add to the mix. He does have injury history but is still worth the grab especially if he pans out.
22Logo of the Dallas Stars-He is a strong skater with good passing skills and a lethal shot. I see him being very underrated with lots of untapped potential.
23Logo of the Edmonton Oilers-Dominated the OHL with his goal scoring abilities as well as smooth hands and skating. Possesses a strong two-way game as well. Him with McDavid or Draisaitl could be sweet.
24Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights-Plays an offensive minded game. Not great defensively but is improving. Can be patient with him as he could turn into what they were wanting out of Brannstrom.
25Logo of the Minnesota WildLogo of the Pittsburgh PenguinsWallinder is one of my favourite prospects from this draft. He has excellent skating, vision, hockey IQ and size. He also possesses a high celling with lots of potential. Minnesota takes him as their Defensive prospects aren’t great.
26Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-Flyers take BPA. He is another great prospect who possesses a great overall offensive game but needs to learn to put it all together. His shot is his best quality.
27Logo of the Washington Capitals-A winger with lots of offensive skills. Possesses great goal scoring abilities as he led Sarnia in goals this past year. A decent replacement for when Ovechkin decides to hang up the skates.
28Logo of the San Jose SharksLogo of the Tampa Bay LightningThe Sharks have quite the history with German-born players such as Ehroff and Greiss. Reichel is a good add too with lots of offensive upside playing on a not so great team in Germany.
29Logo of the Colorado Avalanche-The Avs don’t have a ton of Centre prospects but adding Bourque to the mix with Newhook would be great for them. He is a good well rounded player.
30Logo of the St. Louis Blues-O’Rourke is a well-rounded D-man. He can skate, move the puck well and is hard to defend against. Possesses leadership qualities too. Could be a steal for St. Louis at this spot.
31Logo of the Anaheim DucksLogo of the Boston BruinsAnaheim took Drysdale with their first pick so they move on to forward with their second. A finisher by nature, but has the intelligence and wherewithal to draw opponents and make nice plays.
May 27, 2020 at 12:37 a.m.
Solid reasoning, I agree on LA taking the Marner-esque player over the top defense too (especially with next years draft being stacked with defense).
I don't think Drysdale will reach Makar level (I also don't think Byram will either), I see him falling in between Werenski and Chabot in terms of skill.
Rossi/Perfetti/Lundell are all really close, I think Buffalo takes the safe bet and goes with Lundell for his 2-way and high IQ game (Barkov-lite). Would really fill out their biggest weakness in defensive forwards too.
If Chicago is picking around 9/10 I can see them trading down and still going for Askarov, he just makes too much sense for their future needs.
Schneider makes some sense for the Panthers but they did also just acquire Priskie in the Trochek trade. Anything outside of the top 11 in this draft will be to fill holes in 3+ years, not next year. So I could also see them grabbing a player like Amirov for their Russian movement.
Same point as above for the Flames, their pick will have nothing to do with their UFA's this year as any defense in that range will be 3 years out at least. Picking a RD has some merit to it since their prospect pool is thin there but I think they go for a center for sure, Backlund is in his 30's now.
Grans is interesting that high, big wild card to me, could go first round but I think he goes 2nd. His ceiling isn't super high but his floor is.
Lapierre could honestly go anywhere from 13-25 but I think a team will take the risk on him sooner then later

I need to do more research on the post 20 players, to get a better idea of fits, strengths, weaknesses, etc. But there are about 25 players that could go between 20 and 30 this year.
May 27, 2020 at 10:27 a.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Looks good. I’d love to get Perfetti, although it gets less and less likely that we will, now that even if we lose to Pittsburgh we only have about a 45% chance of getting a top 8 pick.
Suzuki_Cup liked this.
May 27, 2020 at 10:34 a.m.
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
Looks good. I’d love to get Perfetti, although it gets less and less likely that we will, now that even if we lose to Pittsburgh we only have about a 45% chance of getting a top 8 pick.

With the old system, we had 19% of the chances to draft top3, 37% to draft 8, 36% to draft 9 and 8% to draft 10.
We only loose 10% to draft top8, which isn't that bad.
May 27, 2020 at 12:11 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: Suzuki_Cup
With the old system, we had 19% of the chances to draft top3, 37% to draft 8, 36% to draft 9 and 8% to draft 10.
We only loose 10% to draft top8, which isn't that bad.

I guess so, but I’m just pissed off that this lottery works for everybody, except Chicago & Montreal get the short end of the stick.
Suzuki_Cup liked this.
May 27, 2020 at 12:42 p.m.
Im interested to see if poirier goes in the first round because his defensive game was so poor but he might be a steal if he develops

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll