SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Mock-Draft

Three-Round Ranking w/ Top-8 Mock Notes

Three-Round Ranking w/ Top-8 Mock Notes

Draft Class: 2020
Created By: bruinsdude77
Published: Jul. 22, 2020 at 11:07 p.m.
Description
Since more picks than usual are still up in the air, I feel like a mock draft is still somewhat silly. Here are my top 93 (plus honorable mentions) based on aggregating expert opinions and watching film on the vast majority of these players (saw very few top prospects live this year - down year for the U.S.). I also included mock draft notes for the top eight if my rankings differ. Oh, and yes I manually picked Columbus for No. 1. No team has had less success and less star power in their existence than Columbus. I would be happy to see Florida, Minnesota, or Arizona win as well.
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-Lafreniere is the pick regardless of who wins the top spot
2Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-I know that Stutzle is catching up to Byfield in the eyes of many and that LA is already deep down the middle. However, I think that Byfield is the ideal true cornerstone center and the Kings can make it work with their depth
3Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the San Jose SharksStutzle is No. 3 by default and as deep as Ottawa is in the pipeline, he undoubtedly becomes their top prospect
4Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-Not sure Detroit actually goes Raymond here, but it would be a good pick if they did. I have liked him for a long time.
5Logo of the Ottawa Senators-I think the lack of impact defensemen in this class makes Drysdale a top-five pick. Whether Ottawa makes this pick or moves back remains to be seen
6Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-Anaheim would love Drysdale. Maybe he is here or maybe they move up. But in my rankings Perfetti is next up. I have he, Rossi, and Holtz all close, but they are very different players and I think Perfetti is just a tad more well-rounded
7Logo of the New Jersey Devils-I want to like Holtz more than Rossi. On film I do. The problem is that few experts agree, so I keep Rossi slightly ahead. On a mock note, I actually think he is a better fit with Buffalo due to ties to t
8Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-Holtz at 8 any other year is a steal. Buffalo wouldn't hesitate to take him and have scoring goals with Eichel for years to come.
9Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-The rest of these are just rankings and ranking notes. On ability alone, I don't know if Sanderson is top ten. Scarcity puts him there. This is a drop off to a new tier though
10Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-
11Logo of the New Jersey DevilsLogo of the Arizona Coyotes
12Logo of the Minnesota Wild-
13Logo of the Vancouver Canucks-
14Logo of the Nashville Predators-
15Logo of the Florida Panthers-This is the beginning of a new tier. If anyone takes a defenseman in this tier over any of the forwards in the previous tier, they better have a dire need in my opinion. Too much talent up front in this draft
16Logo of the Calgary Flames-
17Logo of the New York Rangers-Lundell through Amirov is ranked as it is for a reason but I can see them being interchangeable by organization fit. Regardless, there will be a run on talented forwards in the middle of the first round
18Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-
19Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the New York Islanders
20Logo of the Carolina HurricanesLogo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
21Logo of the New York RangersLogo of the Carolina Hurricanes
22Logo of the Dallas Stars-Love the value here
23Logo of the Edmonton Oilers-
24Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights-
25Logo of the Minnesota WildLogo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
26Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-
27Logo of the Washington Capitals-Three Germans in Round One
28Logo of the San Jose SharksLogo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
29Logo of the Colorado Avalanche-
30Logo of the St. Louis Blues-I don't like Barron as much as I used to, but I still believe he is a first-round talent
31Logo of the Anaheim DucksLogo of the Boston BruinsGreig is not a bona fide first-rounder in my eyes, but he has become a popular pick with experts. To me, Greig is the start of a new tier and not the same class of forward as Peterka, Reichel, and Foerster
ROUND 2TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
32Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-
33Logo of the Ottawa Senators-
34Logo of the San Jose Sharks-Even though I would take the best available forward over the best available D at almost any point in this draft, Wallinder and O'Rourke could be great
35Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-
36Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-
37Logo of the Nashville PredatorsLogo of the New Jersey Devils
38Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-
39Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-
40Logo of the Montreal CanadiensLogo of the Chicago Blackhawks
41Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-Draft Pick ForfeitedCould wind up being a steal this late. I'm just not totally sold yet
42Logo of the Minnesota Wild-
43Logo of the Los Angeles KingsLogo of the Vancouver Canucks
44Logo of the Nashville Predators-I got to see a ton of Colangelo live in 2018-19, I think there is a lot of ability, but he is a long project
45Logo of the Florida Panthers-
46Logo of the Calgary Flames-
47Logo of the Carolina HurricanesLogo of the New York Rangers
48Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-
49Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the New York Islanders
50Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the Columbus Blue JacketsI think Gushchin made the wrong call going CHL over NCAA. I dropped him in my rankings as a result. High ceiling, but needs time
51Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs-
52Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes-Comp
53Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the Dallas Stars
54Logo of the Detroit Red WingsLogo of the Edmonton OilersA personal favorite of mine. I think he has dark horse written all over him
55Logo of the Los Angeles KingsLogo of the Vegas Golden Knights
56Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Pittsburgh PenguinsMajor Russian Factor risk here
57Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-
58Logo of the Detroit Red WingsLogo of the Washington Capitals
59Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning-
60Logo of the San Jose SharksLogo of the Colorado Avalanche
61Logo of the Montreal CanadiensLogo of the St. Louis Blues
62Logo of the Boston Bruins-
ROUND 3TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
63Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-
64Logo of the Ottawa Senators-
65Logo of the Detroit Red WingsLogo of the San Jose Sharks
66Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-
67Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-
68Logo of the Vegas Golden KnightsLogo of the New Jersey Devils
69Logo of the Carolina HurricanesLogo of the Buffalo Sabres
70Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-Tuch and McClennon are tough to peg, depending on whose rankings you look at and which film you watch. I think they both project to be good and I like them at this point in the draft
71Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-
72Logo of the Washington CapitalsLogo of the Arizona CoyotesI also like Pytlik here. Not sure he is getting a fair shake. A lot to like about his game.
73Logo of the Nashville PredatorsLogo of the Minnesota Wild
74Logo of the Vancouver Canucks-
75Logo of the Nashville Predators-Lots of upside, needs to mature
76Logo of the Florida Panthers-
77Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Calgary Flames
78Logo of the New York Rangers-I might be under-rating Heineman here
79Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the Winnipeg Jets
80Logo of the New York Islanders-
81Logo of the Los Angeles KingsLogo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
82Logo of the Colorado AvalancheLogo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
83Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes-Only the second goalie off the board. I beleive there will be a run on a number of evenly matched goalies in the late t. Clang leads the pack just slightly
84Logo of the New York RangersLogo of the Dallas Stars
85Logo of the Edmonton Oilers-
86Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights-Based on what I've seen, I want Tullio higher. However, some experts just have no time for him
87Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins-
88Logo of the Tampa Bay LightningLogo of the Philadelphia Flyers
89Logo of the Montreal CanadiensLogo of the Washington Capitals
90Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning-Back-to-back goalies. The run starts...
91Logo of the Florida PanthersLogo of the Colorado Avalanche
92Logo of the St. Louis Blues-
93Logo of the Boston Bruins-Honorable Mention: Donovan Sebrango, Jacob Truscott,Maxim Groshev, Cross Hanas,Oliver Suni, Blake Biondi, Alex Laferriere, Joel Blomqvist, Ryder Rolson, Ian Moore, Ben Meehan
Jul. 22, 2020 at 11:54 p.m.
Hawks very recently have had bad luck with Russians, drafting goalies in the top 20 is the most risky proposition historically, we are trying to compete in the next 2 to 3 years, and a 17 year old goalie isn't going to be ready for at least 4. I'd be shocked if the Hawks draft Askarov over a player that can jump in and contribute immediately or in a year such as Lundell or Quinn.
Jul. 23, 2020 at 12:35 a.m.
I think with the sens, if Byfield falls to them at 3 they rather take 1 of Perfetti, Raymond or Holtz. If they get stutzle, I can see them still searching for a sure fire C, such as Rossi. I can’t see them taking drysdale because they already have 2 OFD in Chabot and Brannstrom, plus 2 RHD that were both picked in the first round. Only way I see them taking drysdale is if Pierre decides drysdale is the best possible player available. If they pick 2 F, likely they pick a D with the isles pick.
hosh liked this.
Jul. 23, 2020 at 1:02 a.m.
nucks
Quoting: Native
I think with the sens, if Byfield falls to them at 3 they rather take 1 of Perfetti, Raymond or Holtz. If they get stutzle, I can see them still searching for a sure fire C, such as Rossi. I can’t see them taking drysdale because they already have 2 OFD in Chabot and Brannstrom, plus 2 RHD that were both picked in the first round. Only way I see them taking drysdale is if Pierre decides drysdale is the best possible player available. If they pick 2 F, likely they pick a D with the isles pick.

I think it's best if they went all-in on forwards with their first-round picks. Hard to pass up on Stutzle/Byfield Rossi/Perfetti and Bourque/Gunler/Perrault/Peterka. They have plenty of second-rounders, and with how much depth all around this draft contains, they can easily find hidden gems that might've been right outside the first round (examples such as Niemela, O'Rourke, Andrae.)
Native liked this.
Jul. 23, 2020 at 1:41 a.m.
Sens haven't drafted anyone 5'9 or shorter in over a decade, and I think it's been even longer since they drafted a Russian. Gushchin isn't even on their radar.
Jul. 23, 2020 at 2:00 a.m.
True Reverse Retro
YES! Thank you! If Jacob Perreault is sitting there for Dallas at #22, there shouldn't even be another player on their draft board. He'd be fantastic value there and would fill a massive organizational need. If he's on the board, the only way Nill shouldn't take him is if someone like Quinn or Jarvis miraculously fell down the draft boards. Other than that, his #1 target should be Perreault.
Jul. 23, 2020 at 7:04 a.m.
Sharks deepest position is LD. Ridiculous to have us drafting two more when were desperate for forward prospects.
Jul. 23, 2020 at 10:14 a.m.
Fan of the OHL
Yes - it's a tough and silly process to project a draft his year with the junior playoffs curtailed. With that in mind, some comments 1) Sanderson is overrated - Des Moines, Youngstown, Green Bay, Cedar Rapids Dubuque, Sioux City, Muskegon and the plethora of College teams his team plays against are not exactly hockey hotbeds. I would personally rank Quinn, Lundell maybe even Jarvis ahead of him 2) The top of your 2nd round is pretty good - I would rate Topi Niemela ahead of Helge Grans 3) Agree with comment on Smilanic - another overrated USA player 4) Agree with comment on Chromiak 5) Daemon Hunt at 71 is a sleeper due to his horrific injury that derailed his past season. I also like Tristen Robins, Joni Jurmo and Emil Heineman, and Will Cuylle as good value picks in the range you suggested

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll