Forums/Armchair-GM

New GM Incoming

Created by: MG1986
Team: 2020-21 Arizona Coyotes
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 10, 2020
Published: Aug. 10, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
So for those of you know who are not aware of the Coyotes current hockey ops situation, John Chayka is no longer their GM (much to the dismay of their new owner, who has filed a grievance with the NHL). Assistant GM Mike Sullivan has been temporarily promoted to Interim GM. The Coyotes have already started interviewing potential candidates but will likely not make any final decisions until the playoffs are over.

Now onto the juiciness of this AGM. The Leafs' Board of Directors will be meeting this week to talk about the hockey team and potentially, the future of team President Brendan Shannahan. One of the things that Shannahan has sole discretion over is GM position. It wouldn't strike me as surprising to see the Board fire Shannahan, or force an ultimatum upon him to fire Dubas or be fired himself. He had a 5-year plan he kept on talking about, but really nothing has gone to plan.

So, assuming Dubas is fired, I would imagine he would shoot to the top of the Coyotes list of GM candidates, and it would not be at all surprising to see land there.

Anyways, it's more than a thought of a rumor, but clearly there are potentially multiple high profile jobs on the line here. For those that are looking for work in the hockey field, you might want to get your resumes and CVs updated :P
Trades
ARI
TOR
    Kyle Dubas
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the ARI
    Logo of the ARI
    Logo of the ARI
    Logo of the ARI
    Logo of the ARI
    Logo of the ARI
    Logo of the ARI
    Logo of the ARI
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the ARI
    Logo of the ARI
    Logo of the ARI
    Logo of the ARI
    Logo of the ARI
    Logo of the ARI
    Logo of the ARI
    Logo of the ARI
    Logo of the ARI
    Logo of the ARI
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    18$81,500,000$78,196,951$196,951$1,750,000$3,303,049
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
    $1,533,333$1,533,333
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $6,500,000$6,500,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    $6,800,000$6,800,000
    RW
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 2
    $775,000$775,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $5,850,000$5,850,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 6
    $5,275,000$5,275,000
    RW
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    $4,450,000$4,450,000
    C
    UFA - 5
    $3,350,000$3,350,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$1,750,000$2M)
    C, LW
    RFA - 2
    $7,150,000$7,150,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 8
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $7,260,000$7,260,000
    LD
    NMC
    UFA - 7
    $5,475,000$5,475,000
    LD/RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $4,250,000$4,250,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $4,600,000$4,600,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 5
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    LD/RD
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    $1,400,000$1,400,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    $3,937,500$3,937,500
    RD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Aug. 10, 2020 at 12:54 a.m.
    Dubas isnt a genius
    I highly doubt Dubas is getting fired.
    BStinson liked this.
    Aug. 10, 2020 at 1:04 a.m.
    Hakuna Matata
    Quoting: firezfurx
    I highly doubt Dubas is getting fired.

agreed there is no reason. Keefe in a sense sabotaged himself. He experimented with some big lines and it came back to bite us. Plus the injury fairy was all over the leafs this season. I say he gets 1-2 more seasons before he is fired.

Dubas has been a good GM. Sure his 3 starting contracts were not good, but he has drafted well for our future, made trades that on paper should have made us better, and god rid of some of Lous mistakes. This offseason will be the big test. Now that he sees his original plan did not work i see him making some changes.
    firezfurx liked this.
    Aug. 10, 2020 at 1:10 a.m.
    So they’re going to fire their GM after 2 years? Both in which he had to clean up Lou’s mess with Marleau and Zaitsev.. The leafs gave Burke 5 years and JFJ 5 years.. but let’s can this guy after 2...let’s also talk about how the leafs have had a new coach and let’s try to give him more than half a season before we make a judgment call there.. last thing.. why doesn’t anyone talk about how bad a job Mark Hunter did drafting in 2016 and 2017?
    firezfurx liked this.
    Aug. 10, 2020 at 1:43 a.m.
    #LeafsFever
    Quoting: aadoyle
    agreed there is no reason. Keefe in a sense sabotaged himself. He experimented with some big lines and it came back to bite us. Plus the injury fairy was all over the leafs this season. I say he gets 1-2 more seasons before he is fired.

Dubas has been a good GM. Sure his 3 starting contracts were not good, but he has drafted well for our future, made trades that on paper should have made us better, and god rid of some of Lous mistakes. This offseason will be the big test. Now that he sees his original plan did not work i see him making some changes.

No he is not. I am not sure how you are personally measuring what a good GM is, but he is not a good general manager, not at all. His body of work, though it's only been 2 years, is enough I would think for to get the can, and he is only signed for 3 years anyway.
    Aug. 10, 2020 at 1:44 a.m.
    #LeafsFever
    Quoting: aadoyle

There is every reason. He's a terrible negotiator, he is uses flawed analytical data to make hockey trades. While I agree it may have been time for Kadri to go, neither Kerfoot nor Barrie did much of anything this season, and Barrie was virtually invisible in the qualifier. Don't even get me started on Marleau. Dubas backed himself into a tight cap corner with his awful negotiating skills. He could have used saved at least 3 million dollars, if not, on those Matthews and Marner extensions.
    Aug. 10, 2020 at 1:50 a.m.
    Quoting: MG1986
    There is every reason. He's a terrible negotiator, he is uses flawed analytical data to make hockey trades. While I agree it may have been time for Kadri to go, neither Kerfoot nor Barrie did much of anything this season, and Barrie was virtually invisible in the qualifier. Don't even get me started on Marleau. Dubas backed himself into a tight cap corner with his awful negotiating skills. He could have used saved at least 3 million dollars, if not, on those Matthews and Marner extensions.

Just putting this out there but did you know during the regular season Kadri and Kerfoot had the same amount of 5 on 5 points?
    Aug. 10, 2020 at 6:19 a.m.
    #LeafsFever
    Quoting: TheGreatDame
    Just putting this out there but did you know during the regular season Kadri and Kerfoot had the same amount of 5 on 5 points?

Points are clearly irrelevant, because if you hadn't noticed, world-class offensive talents and point getters Draistatl and McDavid just got bumped out of the playoffs. It's not just about points, it's about winning battles. The combo of Jenner-Foudy and Teixer/Robinson schooled the Leafs with their hustle, defensive play and overall determination. Points are fun, but the Leafs don't need the points, they need guys that work every shift, not that show up in the last 3 minutes of a game when the season is on a line. That's just unacceptable.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll