Forums/Armchair-GM

Calgary - Big Trade

Created by: TMLBRIAN
Team: 2020-21 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 15, 2020
Published: Aug. 15, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I have personally not played around with a Toronto and Calgary trade. So I wanted to give it a shot.

I left the roster at 24 to show a bit of depth. Line ups would change depending on who is playing better and injuries (as usual).

Thoughts?
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$1,750,000
4$2,750,000
4$2,500,000
2$1,750,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$700,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Andersson, Rasmus
  2. Bennett, Sam ($1,225,000 retained)
  3. Jankowski, Mark [RFA Rights]
  4. 2020 1st round pick (CGY)
TOR
  1. 2020 2nd round pick (BUF)
TOR
  1. Georgiev, Alexandar [RFA Rights]
NYR
  1. 2020 2nd round pick (BUF)
  2. 2021 4th round pick (TOR)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$81,500,000$79,434,084$0$0$2,065,916
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 4
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 5
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$1,325,000$1,325,000
C
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$821,667$821,667
LW, RW
RFA - 4
$1,750,000$1,750,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
C
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$4,550,000$4,550,000
RD
UFA - 6
$2,750,000$2,750,000
G
UFA - 2
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,650,000$1,650,000
G
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LD
UFA - 1
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 16, 2020 at 2:56 a.m.
Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
Aight ima just block you for your lack of intelligence

Aight I'm just gonna report you for crimes against humanity.
Aug. 16, 2020 at 11:32 a.m.
Aight ima just block you for your lack of intelligence

good idea
Aug. 16, 2020 at 11:34 a.m.
Quoting: TMLBRIAN
Awesome! Good to know. Thank you smile. In that case, I doubt they make a good big trading partner then! Smaller trades maybe.

ur the kind of person CF needs & i like, ur open 2 ppl's opinions on things ur not an expert at 👍
TMLBRIAN liked this.
Aug. 16, 2020 at 11:37 a.m.
Quoting: drewjenkins
Andersson = Dermott
Andersson < Nylander

Andersson <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Matthews
Andersson + Monahan + Tkachuk + Valimaki = Matthews

if this isnt a joke, i suggest u leave this cite or nobody is gonna give ur opinions damn piece of friccin ****
Aug. 16, 2020 at 12:42 p.m.
Banned
I'm not heavily biased Flames aren't selling their only RD under contract for more wingers. They really don't need wingers, especially overpaid ones.
Maybe so you understand Do you think Leafs should trade Muzzin or Reilly for like DeBrincat? Do you think that helps the leafs?

Muzzin for DeBrincat is something you just have to consider. He's young highly skilled with upside. Rielly is hands down better though so it a ridiculous comparison. Andersson is a good player but he isn't worth Nylander or Marner. If TO was going to give you Marner for him, you'd be a fool to not take it. Flip him for more if you like. Saying it starts with Matthews is just insane. That's like saying Sandin starts with Tkachuk.
Aug. 16, 2020 at 2:04 p.m.
Quoting: PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood
Muzzin for DeBrincat is something you just have to consider. He's young highly skilled with upside. Rielly is hands down better though so it a ridiculous comparison. Andersson is a good player but he isn't worth Nylander or Marner. If TO was going to give you Marner for him, you'd be a fool to not take it. Flip him for more if you like. Saying it starts with Matthews is just insane. That's like saying Sandin starts with Tkachuk.

Once again, never said it starts with Matthews. You are manipulating the word to make an argument. As for Andersson vs your 2 wingers. He is definitely worth Nylander, Andersson hasn't even entered his prime yet amd looks to be a very solid #2. As for Marner. He is better but is also far to expensive and definitely cannot be "flipped" in a flat cap he is also an unneeded commodity, especially at that price. Flames already have a player very similar to him at a 3rd of his price named Lindholm.

Im going to use your exact example so maybe you will understand. Correct, the statement "Sandin starts woth Tkachuk" is ridiculous. However the statement "a package for Tkachuk has to include Sandin" is not.
Aug. 16, 2020 at 2:24 p.m.
Quoting: cgy_flame_fan
ur the kind of person CF needs & i like, ur open 2 ppl's opinions on things ur not an expert at 👍

<3 - Always! Thanks smile
cgy_flame_fan liked this.
Aug. 16, 2020 at 2:27 p.m.
Banned
Once again, never said it starts with Matthews. You are manipulating the word to make an argument. As for Andersson vs your 2 wingers. He is definitely worth Nylander, Andersson hasn't even entered his prime yet amd looks to be a very solid #2. As for Marner. He is better but is also far to expensive and definitely cannot be "flipped" in a flat cap he is also an unneeded commodity, especially at that price. Flames already have a player very similar to him at a 3rd of his price named Lindholm.

Im going to use your exact example so maybe you will understand. Correct, the statement "Sandin starts woth Tkachuk" is ridiculous. However the statement "a package for Tkachuk has to include Sandin" is not.

90 point players are entirely rare as far as commodities go. In a flat cap scoring will be an even higher premium. This whole notion that a 23 year old winger who scores as many points and can kill penalties as well is somehow a negative asset because he makes over 10 million is just ridiculous. I can easily find 2 players on almost any team that make the same and combined are not as good as Marner. For instance Backlund and Lucic make almost as much as Marner and you're straight up lying to yourself if you say those two players are combined more valuable than marner is. But this is what people justify to convince themselves that TO is going to have to give these guys away for pennies on the dollar. It's just silly.
Aug. 16, 2020 at 2:41 p.m.
90 point players are entirely rare as far as commodities go. In a flat cap scoring will be an even higher premium. This whole notion that a 23 year old winger who scores as many points and can kill penalties as well is somehow a negative asset because he makes over 10 million is just ridiculous. I can easily find 2 players on almost any team that make the same and combined are not as good as Marner. For instance Backlund and Lucic make almost as much as Marner and you're straight up lying to yourself if you say those two players are combined more valuable than marner is. But this is what people justify to convince themselves that TO is going to have to give these guys away for pennies on the dollar. It's just silly.

You are using an Albatross contract and an aging vet almost entirely known for his defensive game as an example.
I am not saying Marner has negative value, I am saying adding him by trading your only RD greatly hinders your ability to now add 3 RD (2 for the top 4) to your roster. Marner is overpaid though, there is zero reason he is making 2.6M more than Rantanen.
Aug. 16, 2020 at 2:52 p.m.
Banned
You are using an Albatross contract and an aging vet almost entirely known for his defensive game as an example.
I am not saying Marner has negative value, I am saying adding him by trading your only RD greatly hinders your ability to now add 3 RD (2 for the top 4) to your roster. Marner is overpaid though, there is zero reason he is making 2.6M more than Rantanen.

It doesn't matter though. Matthews makes almost double MacKinnon. That doesn't mean Matthews is overpaid. It means MacKinnon is underpaid. Beyond that, star players are just better than everyone else. The difference between someone like I don't know Palat in Tampa and Pierre Engval or Sam Bennet is so small. The right situation and chemistry can see any depth guy have a big year. A star player is usually the reason why those depth guys have big years. GM's have been overpaying depth for ever. It's just now becoming clear how bad an idea that is. The example I used of Lucic and Backlund emphasizes that. Neither should be making more than 3.5. Lucic should be making 1.5 tops. Both then would be valuable players for various reasons. A guy who can elevate those around him and produce at an elite pace though? That is extremely valuable. Marner vs Rantanen is an irrelevant discussion. They are both stars and both produce elite offense. Its obviously ideal if they make as little as possible but whatever they make it's not hurting you since they do so much more than ability than what other players can. Which is why Marner is not hard to move and his contract is not a hindrance. He's an all-star forward with more growing to do. Andersson is a very good young defenceman and they have value but if you put a dollar amount on it, between 4-5 million is his worth. There is a reason why stars make more, they are worth more.
Aug. 16, 2020 at 3:03 p.m.
It doesn't matter though. Matthews makes almost double MacKinnon. That doesn't mean Matthews is overpaid. It means MacKinnon is underpaid. Beyond that, star players are just better than everyone else. The difference between someone like I don't know Palat in Tampa and Pierre Engval or Sam Bennet is so small. The right situation and chemistry can see any depth guy have a big year. A star player is usually the reason why those depth guys have big years. GM's have been overpaying depth for ever. It's just now becoming clear how bad an idea that is. The example I used of Lucic and Backlund emphasizes that. Neither should be making more than 3.5. Lucic should be making 1.5 tops. Both then would be valuable players for various reasons. A guy who can elevate those around him and produce at an elite pace though? That is extremely valuable. Marner vs Rantanen is an irrelevant discussion. They are both stars and both produce elite offense. Its obviously ideal if they make as little as possible but whatever they make it's not hurting you since they do so much more than ability than what other players can. Which is why Marner is not hard to move and his contract is not a hindrance. He's an all-star forward with more growing to do. Andersson is a very good young defenceman and they have value but if you put a dollar amount on it, between 4-5 million is his worth. There is a reason why stars make more, they are worth more.

u obviously know nothing about the flames if u think backlund should b making 3.5, he was our best C
Aug. 16, 2020 at 3:08 p.m.

I understand why Marner makes the money he does. I understand that he has higher value. In a vacuum I take that trade any time but that's not the case.
A line up of:
Johnny-Monny-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Backs-Marner
Mangiapane-Bennett-Dube
Lucic-Ryan-Gawdin
Gio-league min contract
Hanifin- league min contract
Valimaki-Kylington
Does not sound better than rhe current one.
Aug. 16, 2020 at 3:59 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: cgy_flame_fan
u obviously know nothing about the flames if u think backlund should b making 3.5, he was our best C

That speaks more about your problems at centre than how much Backlund should get paid. But whatever, it's clear reason is not part of this conversation

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll