Forums/Armchair-GM

Getting Younger And Tougher To Play Against

Created by: AnalyticsGeek
Team: 2020-21 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 19, 2020
Published: Aug. 19, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I'm not saying that any of these trades are realistic, but this is the type of team I would like to see for the Penguins next season.

First off is addressing the need for a top line right winger to play with Crosby cuz most do not want Simon or Sheary there fore another season. Ideally the Penguins would want someone who is elite, shoots right and can play the left wall on the powerplay. I've been hearing a lot of speculation that the Leafs are desperate to trade Mitch Marner. If that's the case, then they will not have a lot of negotiating power when trying to work a deal with other teams and will likely have to take the best offer available. I feel a package of Hornqvist and Johnson fits their needs as they are in search of grit up front and defensive help. Both players are kinda considered dead weight in Pittsburgh cuz they don't really fit in anymore.

It has also been suggested that if the Penguins want to continue with their speed and puck possession system, they're going to need to add some size and heaviness to accommodate the smaller guys as the speed gap between teams in today's game is not really an advantage. One guy who's been on my radar for a long time is Sam Bennett. He's got pretty good speed and plays an extremely physical game with a nasty edge. Though his offensive production has not translated at the NHL level, he's got plenty of skill. I'd try to make a deal revolving around him and Matt Murray, since Calgary needs a good goalie (Rittich is average). Bennett's playmaking ability could accommodate McCann's shot really well.

The NYR trade is optional. I heard that Samuel Poulin almost made the team last season and many are expecting him to make the jump officially this season. However, there are also doubts because of his poor skating and conditioning. If he is still a few seasons away, I'd trade for Julien Gauthier. An extremely heavy forechecker who is not afraid to deliver the body. Not to mention has lots of size and speed.

Last big move is the Joshua Moniscalco signing. There has been rumours that the Penguins want to sign him and he's played very well for Arizona State. So maybe he develops into another John Marino.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$3,500,000
3$3,500,000
1$900,000
2$900,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$700,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Maniscalco, Joshua
3$925,000
Trades
PIT
  1. Marner, Mitchell
Additional Details:
*Leafs get a top 6 winger with a gritty power-forward presence and a top 4 RD
PIT
  1. Bennett, Sam
  2. 2022 1st round pick (CGY)
Additional Details:
*Flames get young starting goalie with 2 cups to his resume
CGY
  1. Murray, Matt [RFA Rights]
  2. Simon, Dominik [RFA Rights]
PIT
  1. Gauthier, Julien
Additional Details:
*Trade only happens if Poulin is not ready
PIT
    Future Considerations
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$81,500,000$79,941,508$0$1,150,000$1,558,492

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 4
    $8,700,000$8,700,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 5
    Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
    $10,903,000$10,903,000
    RW
    UFA - 5
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $9,500,000$9,500,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 2
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 2
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 2
    Logo of the Calgary Flames
    $2,550,000$2,550,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the New York Rangers
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$300,000$300K)
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $750,000$750,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 1
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 5
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $4,100,000$4,100,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $7,250,000$7,250,000
    RD
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 2
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    G
    UFA - 3
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $1,250,000$1,250,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    $4,025,175$4,025,175
    LD
    UFA - 5
    Maniscalco, Joshua
    $925,000$925,000
    $900,000$900,000
    LD
    UFA - 2
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $700,000$700,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 4
    $900,000$900,000
    RW, C, LW
    UFA - 2
    $700,000$700,000
    RD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Aug. 20, 2020 at 12:55 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: Pensfan89
    Jack Johnson isn’t a top 4 D in the ahl let alone nhl. He’s also not a right D. Just go back to his first 3 months here if you want proof. Even if both players were making league min. the leafs want zero part of that deal. I don’t even think the league would allow it, it’s that lopsided in the pens favor.
    For the Calgary trade, make the 1st a. 7th and it’s probably fair. Otherwise it’s again, very lopsided in the pens favor.
    I’d rather keep Legare.
    Ottawa wants nothing to do with Bjugstad unless he is a free agent. Bjugstad to a contender with cap space is the only thing that makes sense for a Bjugstad trade. He has too big of a cap hit and owed too much real dollars for cheapskate melnyk to want him.

Thanks for the feedback. What'd you think of this team though? Are they cup caliber?
    Aug. 20, 2020 at 12:56 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: Adamitis
    That Toronto trade made me ill. So terrible for Leafs

Well, the value is poor but we have to take into consideration of Toronto's current situation. They are desperate for a shakeup, so if they make Marner available, other teams are going to try to fleece them to a bad deal.
    Aug. 20, 2020 at 1:00 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: TML_Tika
    How can you honestly say he doesn't have any trade value as the statement makes absolutely no sense at he is a 23 year old player on pace for 90 to 110 points per year who plays 5x5, PP and PK and is well liked by his teamates and fans and great role model for kids....... How can you say that Leafs are not in a position to get anything back for a young player like Marner?

The reason why Marner's value is all the way at the bottom is not because he's a bad player. It's due to the fact that the Leafs have lost in the 1st round of the playoffs for 3 straight years & couldn't even qualify this season. They are desperate for a shakeup & other teams know they are looking to trade Marner, so they will fleece them into a bad deal.
    Aug. 20, 2020 at 1:05 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: Jambo
    If these trades were to somehow go through, the D looks too sketchy to make it more than one round. I have no idea who Maniscalco is, unless he is a clone of John Marino I'm not confident, and last I checked Penguins fans see Riikola as a 7. Can Letang stay healthy and perform like they expect him to? Not sure. Offense is probably good enough to win a round but the D would have to play out of their mind. Also Jarry would have to be the guy

Thanks for the feedback. Personally, I feel pretty good about the defence besides Maniscalco who is totally unproven at this point. The top 4 has been excellent this season & Riikola is a solid bottom pair guy. IDK why people think he's a 7th D, but whenever he's played, he's done well. The issue is, the coach prefers JJ cuz he makes a large salary.
    Aug. 21, 2020 at 12:30 a.m.
    Quoting: MitchMarnerElite
    The reason why Marner's value is all the way at the bottom is not because he's a bad player. It's due to the fact that the Leafs have lost in the 1st round of the playoffs for 3 straight years & couldn't even qualify this season. They are desperate for a shakeup & other teams know they are looking to trade Marner, so they will fleece them into a bad deal.

I think that you have let yourself be incorrectly influenced by others about Marner's value which is no different than the stock market. I buy a stock because it has value for the long-term and then I do not worry about the daily fluctuations or changes in the perceived value in the stock market or in Marner's case the fan market....... I actually think when I text with you that you are in fact a very knowledgeable hockey guy and have a passion for always looking for more knowledge from others but I do not feel you are always listening to the right sources........I know you actually know what Marner's long-term value is better than anyone else on this site with the exception of myself but you keep listening to the noise of others who just follow which way the sheep are moving each day........Now I do not care what others on Capfriendly or the media say about Marner because I know his true long-term value as a hockey player and I am pretty sure most GM's in the NHL do as well ......I can assure you that Marner is not going anywhere from the Leafs except to the Hockey Hall of Fame and only wish you would take in to consideration my alternative view point and you can try to copy myself and be one of his biggest fans and live up to your actual great name of @MitchMarnerElite .......How cool would that be to have people reading your posts because they actually thought you were one of Marner's biggest fans and they all admired you. You really need to make the choice to take the chance to make a change......and i will be one of your biggest supporters.
    Aug. 21, 2020 at 10:55 a.m.
    Quoting: TML_Tika
    Once again more anti-Marner comments and trade by @MitchMarnerElite who is really a Penguins fan and highly jealous of Marner and the Leafs.

I thought you received a warning on Cap friendly last week for posting these kind of anti-Marner trades and comments about the player?

Marner is a tremendous young hockey player and great role model for a lot of kids and does nothing but good things for a lot of less fortunate people in this world. You really need to think harder about why you are making these kind of posts on Capfriendly about Marner as it is very disheartening as a hockey fan as it is just so wrong.

Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...loser
    Aug. 22, 2020 at 1:35 a.m.
    Adomaitis
    Quoting: MitchMarnerElite
    Well, the value is poor but we have to take into consideration of Toronto's current situation. They are desperate for a shakeup, so if they make Marner available, other teams are going to try to fleece them to a bad deal.

Teams can try, but Leafs can also just say "no," which is what they would immediately do. Then they would get an insanely better offer elsewhere.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll