Forums/Armchair-GM

gonna be tight no trades

Created by: markykins1
Team: 2020-21 Washington Capitals
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 3, 2020
Published: Sep. 3, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
IF they can get these guys at these prices, it can be done but they will need to trade one or two to be able to make the Ovi, Vrana extensions work. OR maybe they trade V for another young promising winger with a cheaper cap number.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$1,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$2,000,000
3$2,250,000
4$3,000,000
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$71,618,211$419,749$752,500$9,881,789
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Washington Capitals
$9,538,462$9,538,462
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$9,200,000$9,200,000
C
NMC
UFA - 5
$5,166,667$5,166,667
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$3,350,000$3,350,000
LW
UFA - 1
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$1,375,000$1,375,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$2,415,000$2,415,000
C
UFA - 3
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 2
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LW
UFA - 3
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$736,666$736,666 (Performance Bonus$20,000$20K)
C, LW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LD
UFA - 1
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 6
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$600,000$600K)
G
UFA - 1
$1,275,000$1,275,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RD
UFA - 3
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD
UFA - 2
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RD
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$791,667$791,667 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
LD/RD
RFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 3, 2020 at 1:00 p.m.
They literally need none of those guys. MAYBE TvR? But don't need Smith or Namestikov. They have Sprong and Vanecek.
Sep. 3, 2020 at 1:25 p.m.
twentyeighteen
Quoting: ClockReads2113
They literally need none of those guys. MAYBE TvR? But don't need Smith or Namestikov. They have Sprong and Vanecek.

Are you really thinking a new coach is going to have Sam and VV be the two goalies? I just can't see Bmac and new coach thinking that that is a good idea especially if they are still considering the next year or two for cup runs. I can see that if it's a rebuild, but I doubt the organization and Ovi and Backy would like to go thru that now.
As for bottom 6, you know as well as I that they need some new pieces, be it FA, trade, or just putting some young kids in. BUT, putting the young kids in is risky and if it doesn't work early on, what can they do?
Konofish liked this.
Sep. 3, 2020 at 3:57 p.m.
Quoting: markykins1
Are you really thinking a new coach is going to have Sam and VV be the two goalies? I just can't see Bmac and new coach thinking that that is a good idea especially if they are still considering the next year or two for cup runs. I can see that if it's a rebuild, but I doubt the organization and Ovi and Backy would like to go thru that now.
As for bottom 6, you know as well as I that they need some new pieces, be it FA, trade, or just putting some young kids in. BUT, putting the young kids in is risky and if it doesn't work early on, what can they do?

Caps just signed Fucale to a NHL/AHL deal that means 4 goalies are under contract with NHL contracts next year: Samsonov, Vanecek, Copley, Fucale (2 in the NHL, 2 in the AHL). So they are either going Vanecek (who they really like) or are trading someone.

Sprong was arguably the best player in camp before the playoffs, Caps like him a lot. He'll be on the team next year for sure. He'll be the new Connolly.
markykins1 liked this.
Sep. 3, 2020 at 4:16 p.m.
twentyeighteen
Caps just signed Fucale to a NHL/AHL deal that means 4 goalies are under contract with NHL contracts next year: Samsonov, Vanecek, Copley, Fucale (2 in the NHL, 2 in the AHL). So they are either going Vanecek (who they really like) or are trading someone.

Sprong was arguably the best player in camp before the playoffs, Caps like him a lot. He'll be on the team next year for sure. He'll be the new Connolly.

I hope so, that would be great.
ClockReads2113 liked this.
Sep. 3, 2020 at 4:22 p.m.

Yes, they definitely need depth scoring and a veteran goalie...did you watch the playoffs?

Sprong will not provide 20 goals in his first year like Connolly did so he is certainly not the "new Connolly". So if your plan is to rely on Sprong to provide bottom 6 scoring, that will not be successful.

You cannot have a goalie tandem with a sophomore goalie who played 26 games and 0 playoff experience and a rookie goalie. God forbid, but what happens if Sammy gets hurt (like he did for the playoffs)? You gonna be ok with relying on Vanecek?
Konofish liked this.
Sep. 3, 2020 at 4:39 p.m.
Typical Caps Fan
He didn't get hurt for the playoffs, he got hurt riding 4 wheelers over the long covid hiatus.

Connolly only scored 15 goals, 23 points his first year in Wash. Sprong can surely duplicate that, as he's already hit 14 before.
Sep. 3, 2020 at 4:39 p.m.
twentyeighteen
Quoting: AllCaps_BestTeam
Yes, they definitely need depth scoring and a veteran goalie...did you watch the playoffs?

Sprong will not provide 20 goals in his first year like Connolly did so he is certainly not the "new Connolly". So if your plan is to rely on Sprong to provide bottom 6 scoring, that will not be successful.

You cannot have a goalie tandem with a sophomore goalie who played 26 games and 0 playoff experience and a rookie goalie. God forbid, but what happens if Sammy gets hurt (like he did for the playoffs)? You gonna be ok with relying on Vanecek?

That's my point especially with the goalies. I just can't see them relying on that for another year or two of cup runs. If this was 1 year later or they both had 1 more year of experience, I could see having both young ones as 1A, 1B. I think someone like Smith, Khudobin, Talbot, Elliot for 1 (or two) year would be perfect and they should not cost too much.
All_Knowing liked this.
Sep. 3, 2020 at 4:40 p.m.

Guaranteed Sprong scores 20+ goals his first year. He scored 14 with ANA in 49 games while averaged 3rd-4th line minutes. People keep sleeping on this kid and he's going to show up big. Loved him since his draft year.

Goalies are voodoo. You don't need vets like other positions. Sammy-Vanecek will be the new Varly-Nuevirth.
Kylonetic8 liked this.
Sep. 3, 2020 at 4:45 p.m.
Typical Caps Fan
Any other team with some big cojones (like Pitt) I could see running with Sammy/Vanecek duo to save cap and spend elsewhere.

The Caps usually are more conservative and less outside the box.

Personally, I think the duo would be fine, Sammy has tons of pro experience in the KHL and is no longer a rookie. Vanecek has been improving and looks to be ready to try his hand at the NHL level, if one of them goes to the dumpster, there's always Copley as an emergency.
Sep. 3, 2020 at 4:51 p.m.
twentyeighteen
Guaranteed Sprong scores 20+ goals his first year. He scored 14 with ANA in 49 games while averaged 3rd-4th line minutes. People keep sleeping on this kid and he's going to show up big. Loved him since his draft year.

Goalies are voodoo. You don't need vets like other positions. Sammy-Vanecek will be the new Varly-Nuevirth.

See, now you got me obsessing on Sprong...lol
Hope the kid can come thru.
Sep. 3, 2020 at 6:20 p.m.
Edited Sep. 4, 2020 at 12:23 p.m.
Sprong looked good in pre-bubble camp, yes. He could have a place in the Caps bottom six this year.
He is also a guy who was traded even up for Christian Djoos, so I encourage some calm before anointing him the savior of even the bottom six, or certainly the next Connolly.
Yes, he scored 14 goals in 63 games two years ago, (not 47 -- he was donut in 16 games with the Pens before moving to Ana). Last season he didn't even stick in Anaheim, and was on a 20 goal pace for the AHL Gulls when the Caps traded for him.
I'm glad he's a Caps asset and hope he's a valuable member of the team next season, but pencilling him in for 20 goals is like betting the house on rolling an 11. (Maybe a 10, but still.) (Also, can he skate a solid defensive shift? Yet to be seen.)
The Japer's Rink evaluation of Sprong when the Caps acquired him seems right on target. https://www.japersrink.com/2020/2/28/21153726/what-the-capitals-have-in-daniel-sprong-christian-djoos

Again, I am rooting for the guy to be great, and to be a fast, responsible, 20+ goal scoring RW in DC for a decade. I'm just not counting on it yet.

From https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/s/spronda01.html
Similarity Scores, Career by Adjusted Point Shares (Best to Worst)
Player
Daniel Sprong
Luke Adam 93.4
Nikita Alexeev 92.8
Lloyd Gross 92.5
Brent Grieve 91.5
Jaroslav Bednar 90.6
Lonny Bohonos 89.9
Brad Tapper 89.3
Ramzi Abid 88.2
Steve Kariya 87.5
All_Knowing liked this.
Sep. 4, 2020 at 9:56 a.m.
Quoting: Kylonetic8
He didn't get hurt for the playoffs, he got hurt riding 4 wheelers over the long covid hiatus.

Connolly only scored 15 goals, 23 points his first year in Wash. Sprong can surely duplicate that, as he's already hit 14 before.

Personally, I think the duo would be fine, Sammy has tons of pro experience in the KHL and is no longer a rookie. Vanecek has been improving and looks to be ready to try his hand at the NHL level, if one of them goes to the dumpster, there's always Copley as an emergency.

1) Yes...he got hurt. Doesn't matter where or how, but he got hurt. So you would rely on Vanecek to lead the Caps through the playoffs if that happened again (especially with the closing cup window?) Spend the $2-$2.5M on a veteran goalie to take the pressure off of Sammy and have a strong tandem
2) I hope your "guarantee" comes true as a Caps fan. I just highly doubt he scores 20+ goals next year...but would absolutely love to be proven wrong here
3) KHL and NHL are a much different game so your point about a "ton of KHL experience" really doesn't stick. With the Caps closing window (and the horrid defense that hopefully improves), do you really want to rely on a rookie to "try his hand" in the NHL as the second part of the tandem?

@Konofish -> your points above = solid.
Konofish liked this.
Sep. 4, 2020 at 10:18 a.m.
Typical Caps Fan
1) Yes...he got hurt. Doesn't matter where or how, but he got hurt. So you would rely on Vanecek to lead the Caps through the playoffs if that happened again (especially with the closing cup window?) Spend the $2-$2.5M on a veteran goalie to take the pressure off of Sammy and have a strong tandem
2) I hope your "guarantee" comes true as a Caps fan. I just highly doubt he scores 20+ goals next year...but would absolutely love to be proven wrong here
3) KHL and NHL are a much different game so your point about a "ton of KHL experience" really doesn't stick. With the Caps closing window (and the horrid defense that hopefully improves), do you really want to rely on a rookie to "try his hand" in the NHL as the second part of the tandem?

@Konofish -> your points above = solid.

yes, I'd be just fine with that if he shows the skills and ability. Why not? Everyone is new until they're not. If we save cap in goal and spend it on what we really need, better skaters with more sound D, I'm good with that. Vanecek can't be any worse than Holtby the last couple of years, sub .900% 3+ gaa.

And what "didn't stick" exactly? I simply said he has a ton of pro experience, which is true. The KHL is a pro league with men playing pro hockey.
Sep. 4, 2020 at 10:35 a.m.
yes, I'd be just fine with that if he shows the skills and ability. Why not? Everyone is new until they're not. If we save cap in goal and spend it on what we really need, better skaters with more sound D, I'm good with that. Vanecek can't be any worse than Holtby the last couple of years, sub .900% 3+ gaa.

And what "didn't stick" exactly? I simply said he has a ton of pro experience, which is true. The KHL is a pro league with men playing pro hockey.

Yeah first point agree to disagree I guess. I wouldn't be comfortable having a rookie stepping in to lead the games for a big chunk of the season, but maybe improved defense and change of coaching would change my view.

Second point - KHL is vastly different than NHL. So yes, Sammy has experience in the KHL, but that doesn't mean the experience transfers over to the NHL...It may be a pro hockey league, but these players in the KHL are not as good as the NHL players. Take Jaskin for example. On the Caps, he played 37 games and had 2 goals, 6 assists = 8 points. The year before on the Blues - 76 games with 11 points. Then he goes to the KHL and is the second most in points this past season with 63 (31 goals and 32 assists). The quality of play is not the same. So yes, Sammy has experience, but it doesn't necessarily meet NHL experience. And BTW Vanacek has zero NHL experience. But he does have AHL experience, which is a professional league where men play pro hockey so that is a bonus!
Konofish liked this.
Sep. 4, 2020 at 11:01 a.m.
Typical Caps Fan
Yeah first point agree to disagree I guess. I wouldn't be comfortable having a rookie stepping in to lead the games for a big chunk of the season, but maybe improved defense and change of coaching would change my view.

Second point - KHL is vastly different than NHL. So yes, Sammy has experience in the KHL, but that doesn't mean the experience transfers over to the NHL...It may be a pro hockey league, but these players in the KHL are not as good as the NHL players. Take Jaskin for example. On the Caps, he played 37 games and had 2 goals, 6 assists = 8 points. The year before on the Blues - 76 games with 11 points. Then he goes to the KHL and is the second most in points this past season with 63 (31 goals and 32 assists). The quality of play is not the same. So yes, Sammy has experience, but it doesn't necessarily meet NHL experience. And BTW Vanacek has zero NHL experience. But he does have AHL experience, which is a professional league where men play pro hockey so that is a bonus!

Obviously they're not as good. Did I say they were?

Indeed it is, that’s like...where players develop and ****. You know? And Vanecek has had plenty of time there, time to see if he has what it takes for the NHL.

Note on Jaskin: he was still an effective NHLer, especially at slowing pace of play and suppressing offense. Didn't score a ton, but that’s not what his role was here. We should have used him more.
Sep. 4, 2020 at 11:33 a.m.

Indeed it is, that’s like...where players develop and ****. You know? And Vanecek has had plenty of time there, time to see if he has what it takes for the NHL.

Note on Jaskin: he was still an effective NHLer, especially at slowing pace of play and suppressing offense. Didn't score a ton, but that’s not what his role was here. We should have used him more.

You asked what didn't stick and bringing up KHL experience didn't stick due to the fact that the league is not in the same quality as NHL. Yes he has experience. But that experience doesn't transfer to the NHL because you have players like Jaskin, who didn't make it in the NHL, making the top 2 in points and top 2 in goals for KHL season...

Note on Jaskin: there is a reason no one else picked him up and he is in the KHL, not the NHL...So couldn't have been too effective, you know?
Sep. 4, 2020 at 1:51 p.m.
Typical Caps Fan
Edited Sep. 4, 2020 at 2:03 p.m.
You asked what didn't stick and bringing up KHL experience didn't stick due to the fact that the league is not in the same quality as NHL. Yes he has experience. But that experience doesn't transfer to the NHL because you have players like Jaskin, who didn't make it in the NHL, making the top 2 in points and top 2 in goals for KHL season...

Note on Jaskin: there is a reason no one else picked him up and he is in the KHL, not the NHL...So couldn't have been too effective, you know?

Not every player has 1500 games in the NHL dude. He was an effective bottom 6 guy, and we should have started playing him above Smith-Pelly much sooner, but Reirend didn't like him for whatever stupid reason. His metrics are better than Hathaway by quite a bit, but Hathaway got a 4 year deal for whatever reason and Jaskin didn't. Luck of the draw.

Jaskin played 303 games, and it should have been more. If Jaskin had gotten that 4 year deal instead of Hathaway, I think the Caps bottom 6 would be slightly better for it.

KHL is comparable to the AHL, it's a top pro league below the NHL. You're acting like the KHL is literally an entirely different world that might as well be on Mars.

Seriously doubt a guy like Hathaway could manage what Jaskin has done in the KHL lol
Sep. 4, 2020 at 2:10 p.m.
Not every player has 1500 games in the NHL dude. He was an effective bottom 6 guy, and we should have started playing him above Smith-Pelly much sooner, but Reirend didn't like him for whatever stupid reason. His metrics are better than Hathaway by quite a bit, but Hathaway got a 4 year deal for whatever reason and Jaskin didn't. Luck of the draw.

Jaskin played 303 games, and it should have been more. If Jaskin had gotten that 4 year deal instead of Hathaway, I think the Caps bottom 6 would be slightly better for it.

KHL is comparable to the AHL, it's a top pro league below the NHL. You're acting like the KHL is literally an entirely different world that might as well be on Mars.

Seriously doubt a guy like Hathaway could manage what Jaskin has done in the KHL lol

Yeah well Jaskin didn't get a 4 year deal and Hathaway did. There is a reason for that, and that is because Jaskin just wasn't that effective...So Hathaway will continue to be an effective 4th line player and Jaskin will continue to dominate in the KHL
Sep. 4, 2020 at 2:29 p.m.

Re: Time to see if he has what it takes for the NHL
This is exactly the heart of the argument why I am *not* necessarily comfortable going with Sammy and VV next season. A mid rebuild team has plenty of time to see who has what it takes. A young team with little to lose has time to see who has what it takes. A veteran team that just fired its coach for winning two division titles but no playoff series in two seasons, with a very strong, but aging core, I'm not comfortable seeing who has what it takes. So I want to see the Caps have a goalie along with Sammy who the Caps are confident can give them 30-35 regular season starts and who could possibly step in for a month in an injury situation, though if the guy they acquire is to be a true backup but VV would be called up in a long term injury situation, ok maybe. If the Caps brass is 1000% comfortable that is VV... ok, roll the dice I guess. But I would feel much better off with one of Crawford, Greiss, Talbot, even Brian Elliot or mayyyybe Aaron Dell. (I suspect Khudobin will be far too expensive and will be in Dallas, but sure, if he wants to be in DC, come on.)
All_Knowing liked this.
Sep. 4, 2020 at 3:34 p.m.
Typical Caps Fan
Yeah well Jaskin didn't get a 4 year deal and Hathaway did. There is a reason for that, and that is because Jaskin just wasn't that effective...So Hathaway will continue to be an effective 4th line player and Jaskin will continue to dominate in the KHL

Except as I just said Jaskin's NHL numbers were actually better than Hathaway. As if GMs never make mistakes. Lol
Sep. 4, 2020 at 3:35 p.m.
Typical Caps Fan
Quoting: Konofish
Re: Time to see if he has what it takes for the NHL
This is exactly the heart of the argument why I am *not* necessarily comfortable going with Sammy and VV next season. A mid rebuild team has plenty of time to see who has what it takes. A young team with little to lose has time to see who has what it takes. A veteran team that just fired its coach for winning two division titles but no playoff series in two seasons, with a very strong, but aging core, I'm not comfortable seeing who has what it takes. So I want to see the Caps have a goalie along with Sammy who the Caps are confident can give them 30-35 regular season starts and who could possibly step in for a month in an injury situation, though if the guy they acquire is to be a true backup but VV would be called up in a long term injury situation, ok maybe. If the Caps brass is 1000% comfortable that is VV... ok, roll the dice I guess. But I would feel much better off with one of Crawford, Greiss, Talbot, even Brian Elliot or mayyyybe Aaron Dell. (I suspect Khudobin will be far too expensive and will be in Dallas, but sure, if he wants to be in DC, come on.)

Didn't the Penguins do exactly what the Caps may be in position to do this year? Their young goalies are the least of their issues.
Sep. 4, 2020 at 3:38 p.m.
Typical Caps Fan
I mean does anyone here really think Vanacek can't manage 2.85gaa and .900sv%, which is exactly what Mike Smith and Holtby have been for years. Copley, a career AHLer/backup managed better than that for us in 18-19.
Sep. 4, 2020 at 5:32 p.m.
I mean does anyone here really think Vanacek can't manage 2.85gaa and .900sv%, which is exactly what Mike Smith and Holtby have been for years. Copley, a career AHLer/backup managed better than that for us in 18-19.

I am not sure. I think there is a chance that V(2) could actually be better than that. I think there is a chance he could struggle mightily as an NHL rookie. I think there is more certainty in what you are getting from Cam Talbot, Greiss, etc. When creating a backup or 1B goalie for Samsonov, who has not handled a full-time NHL workload yet, there is value in a veteran presence, who could provide both competition and monitorship, experience, locker room presence, etc. And if you have a team that you think/hope is Cup ready, I think there is value in minimizing risk. None of that is meant as a knock on Vanacek, and I'll be delighted if he's a successful member of the Caps for years to come.
All_Knowing liked this.
Sep. 5, 2020 at 2:34 a.m.
Typical Caps Fan
Quoting: Konofish
I am not sure. I think there is a chance that V(2) could actually be better than that. I think there is a chance he could struggle mightily as an NHL rookie. I think there is more certainty in what you are getting from Cam Talbot, Greiss, etc. When creating a backup or 1B goalie for Samsonov, who has not handled a full-time NHL workload yet, there is value in a veteran presence, who could provide both competition and monitorship, experience, locker room presence, etc. And if you have a team that you think/hope is Cup ready, I think there is value in minimizing risk. None of that is meant as a knock on Vanacek, and I'll be delighted if he's a successful member of the Caps for years to come.

If you're going to pay for those numbers I mentioned, better get it dirt cheap.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll