SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Mock-Draft

My Mock from 1 Month ago and Thoughts

My Mock from 1 Month ago and Thoughts

Draft Class: 2020
Created By: PuckLuck_77
Published: Oct. 7, 2020 at 12:38 a.m.
Description
This is how I mocked it on Sept 1. I'm actually kind of proud of my top-4 being right, especially from a month ago. Proof of my mock from last month. https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/358910 I'd love to have a discussion with all team's fans. Feel free to chime in on your pick.
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the New York Rangers-Pick -- Lafreniere (correct). Yup, as expected.
2Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-Pick -- Byfield (correct). Also as expected for me. I just couldn't see the Kings passing on a guy like this with what they are trying to build.
3Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the San Jose SharksPick -- Stutzle (correct). Sens fans how do you feel about this? I know alot of you wanted Byfield. I personally love the kid and what he brings. I just couldn't see LA picking him above Byfield.
4Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-Pick -- Raymond (correct). Raymond was always the guy here for me, from the moment the first draft lottery was completed. He's got the complete package. Can shoot, can make great passes, can dangle with the best. To me, he has the highest potential of being this year's Pettersson or Makar, where he's the best player in the round. Obviously that doesn't happen all the time, but if it does again, I think it'll be Raymond.
5Logo of the Ottawa Senators-Pick -- Sanderson (incorrect). My first wrong pick. I thought the Sens would go with another center here given the uncertainty on Tim's final position in the NHL. They must have high hopes for him as the future 1C. I like Sanderson alot, but I feel as if this was the first pick for "need" as opposed to "BPA". Maybe I'm off, time will tell.
6Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-Pick -- Drysdale (correct). Couldn't see Anaheim passing up possible BPA and addressing a hole in their pipeline at the same time. Good pick by the Ducks.
7Logo of the New Jersey Devils-Pick -- Holtz (correct). There's an argument here that Holtz might not have been BPA, but with the two defenseman off the board I feel as if they needed to address scoring on the wings to go with Hughes and Hischier. I like this pick alot.
8Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-Pick -- Jack Quinn (incorrect). Oof, talk about drafting for need. This to me reeks of the owner being in the GMs ear, saying they need to appease Eichel. I think this might look bad in 5 years, but it depends on how quick Quinn can get up to the NHL. Passing on Rossi and Perfetti.... woof.
9Logo of the Minnesota Wild-Pick -- Marco Rossi (incorrect). Easy pick here and I gotta think Minnesota loves the fact that Rossi dropped. He's the possible difference maker that I thought they needed. I just didn't think he made it to them. Good for Minny.
10Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-Pick -- Cole Perfetti (incorrect). Again, another pick I didn't see sliding this low. Makes perfect sense to pick him here. I doubt Winnipeg or its fans thought they'd be able to take a guy like Cole.
11Logo of the Nashville Predators-Pick -- Yaroslav Askarov (incorrect). No idea where the goalie was going to go. Didn't expect it to be Nashville. He won't be there for a few years, so I'm not sure how much this helps a team that isn't in a rebuild and is looking to compete now. This pick will lauded or hated 4 years down the road.
12Logo of the Florida Panthers-Pick -- Anton Lundell (incorrect). Pick makes sense here. They need defense, but there wasn't anyone in this range worth the 12 pick. Solid forward to add to their pipeline.
13Logo of the Carolina HurricanesLogo of the Toronto Maple LeafsPick -- Seth Jarvis (incorrect). Really great pick for Carolina with the goalie off the board. Adding more talent to an already deep forward core.
14Logo of the Edmonton Oilers-Pick -- Dylan Holloway (correct). While typing this up, I think it is one of the last ones I got correct. I said then that Holloway could be used for them as a jack-of-all-trades for when their lineup shuffles (read: Drai gets put on a line with McDavid), and that seems to be the thought process for Edmonton.
15Logo of the Toronto Maple LeafsLogo of the Pittsburgh PenguinsPick -- Rodion Amirov (incorrect). Wow, good on Dubas for not giving into what must be tremendous pressure and reaching for a defenseman. More talent going to the Leafs here down the road. Like this pick for them.
16Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-Pick -- Kaiden Guhle (incorrect). Not much to say on this pick. Will help their D pipeline, which I'm not too familiar with. Habs fans feel free to chime in on your thoughts.
17Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-Pick -- Lukas Reichel (incorrect). DARN IT, DARN IT, DARN IT. I wanted so badly for Reichel to fall to the Kings (or at least in a range the King could trade up for). Now he goes to a team that I can't stand watching. What a pick by Bowman, who continues to show shrewd drafting. I think Reichel's going to be a stud.
18Logo of the New Jersey DevilsLogo of the Arizona CoyotesPick -- Dawson Mercer (correct). Holy crap, I got another one correct. I said then that New Jersey would continue to build offense on the wings with their second pick. I like this pick for them.
19Logo of the New York RangersLogo of the Calgary FlamesPick -- Braden Schneider (incorrect). He had to go at some point. Maybe a little earlier than I think he should since I thought Toronto would have been reaching for him as well. But still, pretty good haul for Toronto to come out with Laffy and Schneider.
20Logo of the New Jersey DevilsLogo of the Vancouver CanucksPick -- Shakir Mukhamadullin (incorrect). Thought they'd go with a D-man here and they didn't disappoint. With Guhle off the board, they go for a little bit of a reach with Shakir. Don't mind it, but we'll see if it pays off for NJ. Decent first round for them.
21Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-Pick -- Yegor Chinakhov (incorrect MASSIVELY). What in the holy hand grenade is this pick? In my original mock, the NYI pick was still sitting at 21 so that affected this. But never in my wildest dreams did I think someone I hadn't even heard of would go in the first round. No idea who this guy is.
22Logo of the Washington CapitalsLogo of the Carolina HurricanesPick -- Hendrix Lapierre (incorrect). A swing-for-the-fences type pick. I think in 5 years Caps fans will be saying one of two things: "Thank heavens we picked him" or "Why the heck did we let Foerster or Zary or Neighbours go?" I don't think there will be an in-between.
23Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-Pick -- Tyson Foerster (incorrect). Maybe a small reach for Foerster here, but Philly must like what they see and think they can fix his skating/stride. He was a player I was hoping would fall naturally to 35, but can't blame Philly for taking him. See him playing wing at the next level, but I could be wrong.
24Logo of the Calgary FlamesLogo of the Washington CapitalsPick -- Connor Zary (incorrect). Zary fell a bit in my mock, but that's good for Calgary. Also, getting 2 third round picks while still picking up Zary? Awesome for them.
25Logo of the Colorado Avalanche-Pick -- Justin Barron (incorrect). Kind of surprised to see a D-man go here to Colorado. I thought they'd go for some forward help to bolster their top-6 eventually, I think. They've got a ridiculous D pipeline already but this just adds to it.
26Logo of the St. Louis Blues-Pick -- Jake Neighbours (incorrect). Thought this was around where Reichel would go, and it's a similar player that lands here since Reichel is already gone. Another guy I was hoping would be available at 35. All the good wingers getting swooped up.
27Logo of the Anaheim DucksLogo of the Boston BruinsPick -- Jacob Perreault (incorrect). Solid forward here. Good pick for the Ducks, who seem to be going for who they think is BPA. Hopes to supplement a top-6 which might not be as set in stone as they had hoped, with the way last year went for many of their rookies/younger guys.
28Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the New York IslandersPick -- Ridley Greig (incorrect). Flyers fans can fill me in on what they think of this pick. I like Greig alot. Another solid winger getting picked up late in the first round. Kind of surprising how many went.
29Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights-Pick -- Brendan Brisson (incorrect). Didn't know what Vegas was going to do. I originally pegged the for a defenseman, but am perfectly fine with them taking a forward. Vegas is going to have fun negotiating with Pops Brisson with all their cap troubles.
30Logo of the Dallas Stars-Pick -- Mavrik Bourque (incorrect-- sort of). I thought Dallas would go for some more offensive help, and I actually picked Dallas to take Bourque back in September when they were still at 24. So while I got the spot wrong, I got the pick correct for the team. I'll take that as a win.
31Logo of the San Jose SharksLogo of the Tampa Bay LightningPick -- Ozzy Wiesblatt (incorrect). EASILY THE COOLEST NAME OF THE DRAFT. I also have to give props to Doug Wilson Jr for the sign language. As far as the pick, I thought they'd go for forward help in Perrault, but he went a few spots earlier. Weisblatt was another I was secretly hoping to be available at 35. Kind of shocked that he went in the first round, honestly, but I like the pick for San Jose. He should be a fan favorite.
ROUND 2TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
32Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-
33Logo of the Ottawa Senators-
34Logo of the San Jose Sharks-
35Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-Overall, I got 8.5/30 correct, which I'll take. Some guys I think will be gone tomorrow quickly are Gunler, JJP, Niemela, and O'Rourke. As far as the Kings go, I'm hoping it's one of the wingers but I expect it to be a defenseman. O'Rourke seems to fit the mold of what the Kings are building, so that's my first guess. How did you all do?
36Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-
37Logo of the Nashville PredatorsLogo of the New Jersey Devils
38Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-
39Logo of the Minnesota Wild-
40Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-
41Logo of the Carolina HurricanesLogo of the New York Rangers
42Logo of the Nashville Predators-
43Logo of the Florida Panthers-
44Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs-
45Logo of the Detroit Red WingsLogo of the Edmonton Oilers
46Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
47Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-
48Logo of the Montreal CanadiensLogo of the Chicago Blackhawks
49Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-
Draft Pick Forfeited
50Logo of the Calgary Flames-
51Logo of the Los Angeles KingsLogo of the Vancouver Canucks
52Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
53Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes-
54Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-
55Logo of the Detroit Red WingsLogo of the Washington Capitals
56Logo of the San Jose SharksLogo of the Colorado Avalanche
57Logo of the Montreal CanadiensLogo of the St. Louis Blues
58Logo of the Boston Bruins-
59Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the New York Islanders
60Logo of the Los Angeles KingsLogo of the Vegas Golden Knights
61Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the Dallas Stars
62Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning-
Oct. 7, 2020 at 1:20 a.m.
Agreed on sharks front. Pick surprised me and its a bit of a reach but hes a really quality guy and has the talent
Oct. 7, 2020 at 5:54 a.m.
oh how i suffer
My tweets the night before the draft ultimately boiled down to "whoever is the best forward left on the board at 31" followed by "OZZY WIESBLATT AT 34 - PLEASE DOUG, I AM BEGGING YOU, WE NEED RIGHT WINGERS WHO SHOOT RIGHT"

I've been hyped on Wiesblatt for literally months - since February when I started seriously researching the draft. While I do think that there were better players left on the board when the Sharks drafted, I'm extremely happy with the Sharks having taken him.
Oct. 7, 2020 at 8:43 a.m.
Former Hockey Fan
The Guhle pick is interesting. I like the pick, but LHD is the strongest arm of our prospect pool, and we’ll probably have to trade 1 or 2 of them, since we don’t have enough room for everyone.

Also, while Ozzy Wiesblatt has a great name, I think he might take 2nd place after Zayde Wisdom.
Oct. 7, 2020 at 9:04 p.m.
CGY
Quoting: bunnymcfoo
My tweets the night before the draft ultimately boiled down to "whoever is the best forward left on the board at 31" followed by "OZZY WIESBLATT AT 34 - PLEASE DOUG, I AM BEGGING YOU, WE NEED RIGHT WINGERS WHO SHOOT RIGHT"

I've been hyped on Wiesblatt for literally months - since February when I started seriously researching the draft. While I do think that there were better players left on the board when the Sharks drafted, I'm extremely happy with the Sharks having taken him.

I liked the Weisblatt and Robins picks from SJ
bunnymcfoo liked this.
Oct. 7, 2020 at 9:04 p.m.
CGY
You kinda did get the 19th pick right haha, it was originally a CGY pick and they did take Zary
PuckLuck_77 liked this.
Oct. 8, 2020 at 12:06 p.m.
Quoting: ItWasIn
You kinda did get the 19th pick right haha, it was originally a CGY pick and they did take Zary

Hah! I missed that, thanks for pointing it out. Moving my score up to a 9/31. Half points for players going to the correct team. Full points for players going in the correct spot.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll