Forums/Armchair-GM

Ottawa Senators

Created by: sensibleguy
Team: 2020-21 Ottawa Senators
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 11, 2020
Published: Dec. 11, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This is just messing around, and because I really don’t like the Sens D for the next two seasons.

De Haan is signed for two seasons, Montour for one. Montour could be extended another 2-3 seasons, De Haan, depending on how much of a pay cut he’s willing to take, might be extended to transition to the 3rd pair.

Chabot is an offence D, pairs with Zaitsev
De Haan is a defence D, pairs well with Montour
Wolanin is a 200 ft D, Gudbranson

The trade acquisitions don’t interfere with the D prospects coming in. Brannstrom can bump Wolanin when he plays LD, then replace Gudbranson after he departs.

Forward lines, put the best playmaker in Logan Brown, with the best shooter/breakaway winger in Dadonov.
Galchenyuk with Tierney and Connor Brown
Trades
CHI
  1. Lajoie, Maxime
  2. 2021 6th round pick (OTT)
BUF
  1. 2021 2nd round pick (CBJ)
Buyouts
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$71,419,249$0$3,230,000$10,080,751
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
LW
UFA - 1
$4,750,000$4,750,000
C, RW
UFA - 5
$736,666$736,666 (Performance Bonus$20,000$20K)
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$735,000$735,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$710,000$710K)
C, LW
RFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,050,000$1,050,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
C
UFA - 2
$3,600,000$3,600,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$749,250$749,250
C, LW
UFA - 2
$4,550,000$4,550,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$8,000,000$8,000,000
LD
UFA - 8
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$4,687,500$4,687,500
G
UFA - 4
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$4,550,000$4,550,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$3,850,000$3,850,000
RD
UFA - 1
$2,600,000$2,600,000
G
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$735,000$735,000
C
UFA - 1
$4,875,000$4,875,000
RW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 11, 2020 at 4:08 a.m.
The D is already extremely clogged up this season, they really shouldn't be looking to make further additions. DeHaan would be a solid option if Ottawa wanted to play Brannstrom on his off side, but when you look at the additions they've made there isn't room.

Also Montour is one of the most overrated players in the league. He's not worth moving anything significant to get.
Pinto liked this.
Dec. 11, 2020 at 8:47 a.m.
Michael_Peca
I love the idea you're "extremely clogged up" when Zaitsev and Gudbranson are your top two RHD.
Dec. 11, 2020 at 9:58 a.m.
Biased Opinion
Trading away futures at this point in Ottawa's rebuild for a 1 year rental (Montour) would be counter-productive. Just enjoy getting caved in, hope Zub is alright and watch Wright and Powers highlight reels
Dec. 11, 2020 at 12:14 p.m.
Serf
Quoting: Claesson4Norris
The D is already extremely clogged up this season, they really shouldn't be looking to make further additions. DeHaan would be a solid option if Ottawa wanted to play Brannstrom on his off side, but when you look at the additions they've made there isn't room.

Also Montour is one of the most overrated players in the league. He's not worth moving anything significant to get.

Quoting: Barbs
Trading away futures at this point in Ottawa's rebuild for a 1 year rental (Montour) would be counter-productive. Just enjoy getting caved in, hope Zub is alright and watch Wright and Powers highlight reels

Is it really necessary to point out that it is counterproductive, or why, when it clearly states I'm just messing around, and just don't like the clogged up crappy defence for the next two seasons? The team has plenty of 6/7 defensmen, that it would be nice to actually have more than one or two
---> playoff calibre <--- top4 defencemen.

Okay, so let's take this seriously now.

We all think Sanderson, and to a lesser degree JBD, will enter the league at a running start, but let's be realistic, it might take 1-2 seasons for them to play well enough to help on the second pair, whereas they can probably help immediately on the third pair. Since they aren't arriving until 22/23, that means 24/25, unless the team goes out and gets competent placeholders. Thomson is more of a project, and probably a season behind them.

Trading for De Haan and Montour speeds up the team compete level to now, and keeps the compete level until Sanderson and JBD are ready for second pair duties. It doesn't waste the salaries of Murray and Dadonov for 1-2, or more seasons, and actually makes more financial sense to sign them than for the team to tank. Everyone wants that shiny new toy at the next draft, but sooner or later, the team has to compete, they can't have a perpetual rebuild.

The team has;
One legitimate first pair defenceman, Chabot
One legitimate second pair defenceman, Zaitsev
Several (playoff calibre) 3rd pair defenders, Gudbranson, Wolanin, Reilly, maybe Zub
Several depth defenders, Brown, Jaros, Lajoie, maybe Zub
One prospect, with 33 NHL games, that is close but needs more AHL games, Brannstrom

This defence will keep this team from having any success, and could teach the younger players how to lose, and lose often. This defence could crush Matt Murray's confidence. This defence will lead Ottawa to one of the worst PK % in the league, and a below average PP, while continuing to finish near the bottom of the league, but maybe not last. I can see all those people drooling over the top pick, but it's still a draft lottery, and it takes being the worst team to get the best odds, and then they have to actually win a lottery pick.

Next season the team will have no new prospects ready to join the NHL team beyond Brannstrom, and it will be another season the same as this season, another top 10 pick. The perpetual rebuild. Or the team becomes the last few seasons of the TML, all offence but not as good, no defence and just as bad, ending up with a mid round pick.

In 22/23, the defence prospects will begin to arrive, and within a year or two, maybe 24/25, this team might start winning. Dadonov will be 35, and gone. Connor Brown and Chris Tierney will be 30, and probably gone. Thomas Chabot and Colin White will be older than Connor Brown and Chris Tierney are now. Matt Murray will be 30, and a UFA.

Until Sanderson and JBD join this team, and then become competent NHL defenders, this team will be a much worse version of those recent TML if they don't sign a couple competent placeholders. The TML finally got it right acquiring TJ Brodie, who's a much better fit than Tyson Barrie was. The TML might finally do well this season, since they now have Muzzin and Brodie to join Rielly. Think of De Haan as Muzzin, and Montour as Brodie, joining Chabot.

Expanded rosters

Chabot, Zaitsev
De Haan, Montour
Wolanin, Gudbranson

Reilly, Brown, Jaros

The clogged defence is actually the depth becoming the depth.
Dec. 11, 2020 at 1:36 p.m.
Serf
Although I think Montour is better than people claim he is, swap in Dumba if you're just dead set against Montour. Of course it would cost more than a 2nd to get Dumba. I don't think Dumba is worth some of these trades I've seen proposed, such as RNH and a 2nd, he is worth more than Nate Schmidt or Devon Toews. Schmidt was an under pay, Toews was an overpay. I think Dumba falls somewhere in between these prices.

Expansion draft, I protect Chabot, De Haan, and either Montour(if extended) or Dumba.
Dec. 12, 2020 at 10:42 p.m.
Quoting: sensibleguy

The team has;

Zaitsev is not a legitimate second pair dman tears of joy squinty smile

Also your proposed pairing of Chabot-Zaitsev would be horrid.
Chabot was at his worst when paired with Zaitsev and benefitted when they were separated.
Plus splitting them would mean less minutes for Zaitsev which would be ideal.
Meanwhile Zaitsev had his best results with Reilly.
So doing some combination of:
Chabot-Brown
Wolanin-Gudbranson
Reilly-Zaitsev
This would ensure that although still having the liabilities of Zaitsev and Gudbranson, we would be able to ensure Chabot's growth and Brannstrom from having to play with either.
Pinto liked this.
Dec. 12, 2020 at 11:42 p.m.
Serf
Quoting: TheBoulster
Zaitsev is not a legitimate second pair dman tears of joy squinty smile

Also your proposed pairing of Chabot-Zaitsev would be horrid.
Chabot was at his worst when paired with Zaitsev and benefitted when they were separated.
Plus splitting them would mean less minutes for Zaitsev which would be ideal.
Meanwhile Zaitsev had his best results with Reilly.
So doing some combination of:
Chabot-Brown
Wolanin-Gudbranson
Reilly-Zaitsev
This would ensure that although still having the liabilities of Zaitsev and Gudbranson, we would be able to ensure Chabot's growth and Brannstrom from having to play with either.

This is a really bad analysis. I’m going to assume you’re part of the, “I know better than NHL coaches” club. Most of my analyses are based on what the team has done in the past, and likely to do in the future. I might add a trade I like, but the line combinations and pairings are mostly theirs, so go ahead and set up your fantasy team like you suggest, but shake your head if you think the Sens will.

Wolanin and Reilly are a coin flip for 2nd or 3rd pair, but Josh Brown was not brought in to pair with Chabot. It’s kind of funny, going from healthy scratch on one team to top pair on another, lol.
Dec. 14, 2020 at 7:49 a.m.
Biased Opinion
Is it really necessary to point out that it is counterproductive, or why, when it clearly states I'm just messing around, and just don't like the clogged up crappy defence for the next two seasons? The team has plenty of 6/7 defensmen, that it would be nice to actually have more than one or two
---> playoff calibre <--- top4 defencemen.

Okay, so let's take this seriously now.

We all think Sanderson, and to a lesser degree JBD, will enter the league at a running start, but let's be realistic, it might take 1-2 seasons for them to play well enough to help on the second pair, whereas they can probably help immediately on the third pair. Since they aren't arriving until 22/23, that means 24/25, unless the team goes out and gets competent placeholders. Thomson is more of a project, and probably a season behind them.

Trading for De Haan and Montour speeds up the team compete level to now, and keeps the compete level until Sanderson and JBD are ready for second pair duties. It doesn't waste the salaries of Murray and Dadonov for 1-2, or more seasons, and actually makes more financial sense to sign them than for the team to tank. Everyone wants that shiny new toy at the next draft, but sooner or later, the team has to compete, they can't have a perpetual rebuild.

The team has;
Several (playoff calibre) 3rd pair defenders, Gudbranson, Wolanin, Reilly, maybe Zub
Several depth defenders, Brown, Jaros, Lajoie, maybe Zub
One prospect, with 33 NHL games, that is close but needs more AHL games, Brannstrom

This defence will keep this team from having any success, and could teach the younger players how to lose, and lose often. This defence could crush Matt Murray's confidence. This defence will lead Ottawa to one of the worst PK % in the league, and a below average PP, while continuing to finish near the bottom of the league, but maybe not last. I can see all those people drooling over the top pick, but it's still a draft lottery, and it takes being the worst team to get the best odds, and then they have to actually win a lottery pick.

Next season the team will have no new prospects ready to join the NHL team beyond Brannstrom, and it will be another season the same as this season, another top 10 pick. The perpetual rebuild. Or the team becomes the last few seasons of the TML, all offence but not as good, no defence and just as bad, ending up with a mid round pick.

In 22/23, the defence prospects will begin to arrive, and within a year or two, maybe 24/25, this team might start winning. Dadonov will be 35, and gone. Connor Brown and Chris Tierney will be 30, and probably gone. Thomas Chabot and Colin White will be older than Connor Brown and Chris Tierney are now. Matt Murray will be 30, and a UFA.

Until Sanderson and JBD join this team, and then become competent NHL defenders, this team will be a much worse version of those recent TML if they don't sign a couple competent placeholders. The TML finally got it right acquiring TJ Brodie, who's a much better fit than Tyson Barrie was. The TML might finally do well this season, since they now have Muzzin and Brodie to join Rielly. Think of De Haan as Muzzin, and Montour as Brodie, joining Chabot.

Expanded rosters

Chabot, Zaitsev
De Haan, Montour
Wolanin, Gudbranson

Reilly, Brown, Jaros

The clogged defence is actually the depth becoming the depth.

I'll get around to reading this once I'm finished with The Silmarillion. I can only manage one long epic fantasy at a time.
sensibleguy and Big_Euge liked this.
Dec. 14, 2020 at 8:03 a.m.
Serf
I'll get around to reading this once I'm finished with The Silmarillion. I can only manage one long epic fantasy at a time.

I love how you managed to paint my response as worthless without a single counterpoint. Well done. Doesn’t make it worthless, but it’s a very good attempt that slow witted people will fall for. Bravo.
Dec. 14, 2020 at 8:07 a.m.
Biased Opinion
I love how you managed to paint my response as worthless without a single counterpoint. Well done. Doesn’t make it worthless, but it’s a very good attempt that slow witted people will fall for. Bravo.

"Zaitsev is a legitimate second pair defenceman"

Alright, let's file this novel under fiction
Big_Euge liked this.
Dec. 14, 2020 at 8:17 a.m.
Serf
"Zaitsev is a legitimate second pair defenceman"

Alright, let's file this novel under fiction

What’s funny is, Zaitsev might end up finishing his contract in Ottawa, and as a top4 D, and the Sens haters club will still list him with all the previous members of the, I hate this player, club. Sens fans do like to pick a player to hate on despite his contributions. I first learned the term, confirmation bias in a description of Sens haters club members. Good thing your opinion doesn’t alter the team.
Dec. 14, 2020 at 8:23 a.m.
Biased Opinion
What’s funny is, Zaitsev might end up finishing his contract in Ottawa, and as a top4 D, and the Sens haters club will still list him with all the previous members of the, I hate this player, club. Sens fans do like to pick a player to hate on despite his contributions. I first learned the term, confirmation bias in a description of Sens haters club members. Good thing your opinion doesn’t alter the team.

Well it's either you're right and everyone else is wrong including the Toronto Maple Leafs who have been desperately searching for a legit top 4 RHD since the turn of the millennium who not only traded him away to a divisional rival but paid a premium to do so, or that you might be willing to die on the wrong hill. Who's to say?
Dec. 14, 2020 at 8:31 a.m.
Serf
Well it's either you're right and everyone else is wrong including the Toronto Maple Leafs who have been desperately searching for a legit top 4 RHD since the turn of the millennium who not only traded him away to a divisional rival but paid a premium to do so, or that you might be willing to die on the wrong hill. Who's to say?

Or the NHL coaches are right and the fans are wrong.
Dec. 14, 2020 at 8:34 a.m.
Biased Opinion
Or the NHL coaches are right and the fans are wrong.

Fans, GMs, Analysts and on and on and on...

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll