Forums/Armchair-GM

leafs read description

Created by: Ryancnbb
Team: 2020-21 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 26, 2020
Published: Dec. 26, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
i made a post finalizing the leafs offseason before but someone said that I basically did the lineup and taxi all wrong so I'm trying it again. i signed lewis cuz of the rumours. i have dell as a scratch rather than on the taxi squad since I heard he could get claimed off waivers if he was or smtg. left out robertson, liljegren and sandin and would play them in the minors/loan/ohl. top six doesn't change. vesey with kerfoot cuz they used to play together. forth line could have engvall instead of barabanov. ppl r gonna rage at marincin on taxi squad
Free Agent Signings
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$700,000
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$81,500,000$80,874,741$0$0$625,259
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 4
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 5
$1,645,000$1,645,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 4
$900,000$900,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 3
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NMC
UFA - 4
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
$874,125$874,125
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$1,650,000$1,650,000
G
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LD
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$800,000$800,000
G
UFA - 1
Taxi Squad
$700,000$700,000 ($0$0$0$0)
RW, C
UFA - 1
C, RW
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000 ($175,000$175K$175,000$175K)
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000 ($0$0$0$0)
RD
NTC
UFA - 1
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 26, 2020 at 2:54 p.m.
Some are poo-pooing on that 3rd line. Frankly I like it.

Boyd over Barbanov. Bottom pair D is gonna be a revolving door, but Bogo ends up with a perma-gig playing with Dermott.
Ryancnbb liked this.
Dec. 26, 2020 at 2:57 p.m.
Quoting: swinny

Boyd over Barbanov. Bottom pair D is gonna be a revolving door, but Bogo ends up with a perma-gig playing with Dermott.

i like the 3rd line actually. i think engvall over boyd.
Dec. 26, 2020 at 2:59 p.m.
Quoting: Ryancnbb
i like the 3rd line actually. i think engvall over boyd.

I like Engvall too.

Seems many are missing just how much flexibilty exists in the bottom 6. Best shape it's been in in a while.
Dec. 26, 2020 at 3:03 p.m.
I like Engvall too.

Seems many are missing just how much flexibilty exists in the bottom 6. Best shape it's been in in a while.

idk. it sucks that we lost kappy and johnson. we def lose scoring but improve depth
Dec. 26, 2020 at 3:04 p.m.
Meh
Step 1) Don't allow Robertson to go to the WJC.
Step 2) Send him to a league that at this point might not even play at all.
Step 3) Profit?

Step 1) Recognize that you need a presence on D and a different kind of D.
Step 2) Sign that D with him taking a discount.
Step 3) Have him get claimed off waivers so that you can have no presence on D and all the same kind of D.
Dec. 26, 2020 at 3:10 p.m.
Why Green
Nice.
Dec. 26, 2020 at 4:10 p.m.
Banned

I think Lehtonen is going to impress as is Dermott. Bogosian will get time and may get a lot of 7d looks but the other two are just so much more talented.
Ryancnbb liked this.
Dec. 26, 2020 at 4:11 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Miles_Togo
Step 3) Profit?

Step 3) Have him get claimed off waivers so that you can have no presence on D and all the same kind of D.

Bogosian isn't just going to get playing time because, Dermott and Lehtonen have so many more tools to work with. Robertson chose to stay with the Leafs and the team granted it. Nothing is guaranteed but he certainly has a chance. As usual you are coming in hot pretending like you are the smartest guy in the world and as usual just an angry little child hoping to feel important.
Ryancnbb liked this.
Dec. 26, 2020 at 4:12 p.m.
Banned
I like Engvall too.

Exactly, injuries will happen and with such a condensed schedule lots of guys will rotate in and out.
swinny liked this.
Dec. 26, 2020 at 4:17 p.m.
Step 3) Profit?

forgot about waivers.
Miles_Togo liked this.
Dec. 26, 2020 at 4:49 p.m.
Meh
Edited Dec. 26, 2020 at 5:18 p.m.
Quoting: PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood
Bogosian isn't just going to get playing time because, Dermott and Lehtonen have so many more tools to work with.

Never said he would be playing just because. If you were capable of reading you would know exactly what I, and Dubas, have said: The Leafs' needed more of a presence and a different kind of D. That is why they signed Bogosian, and did so long after they had signed Lehtonen and while they already had Dermott on the roster - so the team obviously felt that what Dermott and Lehtonen brought was not enough for a proper D core - hence Dubas saying that the team needed a presence and a different kind of D. Something any fan with even passing knowledge of the game understands that the Leafs' have needed, but a complete mystery to people like you.

Quote:
Robertson chose to stay with the Leafs and the team granted it. Nothing is guaranteed but he certainly has a chance.

As McKenzie said - this was a team decision. The team's top priority was to have Robertson try make the 2021 Leafs' roster. Robertson had been following the WJC testing protocols. Robertson has been training in Toronto with the team since the summer so there is no excuse for the team to not know exactly where he is at. If he doesn't make the roster then the team doesn't know how to evaluate their own prospects at all even when they are playing and training right in front of them.
Dec. 26, 2020 at 11:53 p.m.
Banned
Never said he would be playing just because. If you were capable of reading you would know exactly what I, and Dubas, have said: The Leafs' needed more of a presence and a different kind of D. That is why they signed Bogosian, and did so long after they had signed Lehtonen and while they already had Dermott on the roster - so the team obviously felt that what Dermott and Lehtonen brought was not enough for a proper D core - hence Dubas saying that the team needed a presence and a different kind of D. Something any fan with even passing knowledge of the game understands that the Leafs' have needed, but a complete mystery to people like you.

Quote:
Robertson chose to stay with the Leafs and the team granted it. Nothing is guaranteed but he certainly has a chance.

As McKenzie said - this was a team decision. The team's top priority was to have Robertson try make the 2021 Leafs' roster. Robertson had been following the WJC testing protocols. Robertson has been training in Toronto with the team since the summer so there is no excuse for the team to not know exactly where he is at. If he doesn't make the roster then the team doesn't know how to evaluate their own prospects at all even when they are playing and training right in front of them.

If Bogosian was a must have and absolute starter, it wouldn't have taken only 1 mill to sign him. He's going to have to earn his spot like everyone else. He'll get his chances and he'll play for sure but I wouldn't be surprised if he only draws in due to injury or when they decide to go with a 7D 11F lineup. Only the dumbest of people would play the best players, so if the other two who have much higher ceilings and one who has been superior over the past 2 seasons (Dermott) plays better than Bogosian it won't matter because Dubas says he wanted to add an element they didn't have in abundance. That definitely couldn't possibly mean that Bogosian was brought in to push the other guys and add toughness in specific situations. Only an idiot would think that, because as we all know there is only one correct answer to anything hockey related and it's whatever you decide is correct. So how many wins do you have under GM career? Or wait you have a way better job that probably makes you millions or something. What a hero.
Ryancnbb liked this.
Dec. 27, 2020 at 11:46 a.m.
The signing of Bogo isn't about ceilings - it's about a particular skills set he still has.

I am not going to claim he is a world beater, but Buffalo has managed to undermine a number of careers with the overall lack of stability. When he signed with the Bolts, he looked pretty good. A good bootom 6 shut down D..... something the Leafs sorely lacked.

Dermott certainly has a highly ceiling. So does Sandin. Lehtonen's seasin in the KHL also say this. But none of these 3 I would call a shut down D.

So I think Bogo just might see more playing time than people think..... not so much based on his skill level, but what is game brings to the overall mix of the blueline. Gives it more balalnce. Allows a Dermott or Lehtonen or Sandin to be a little more creative on the offensive side of the game.

Bogo is a chemistry move. Otherwise the signing makes no sense.
Ryancnbb liked this.
Dec. 28, 2020 at 11:05 a.m.
Meh
I am not going to claim he is a world beater, but Buffalo has managed to undermine a number of careers with the overall lack of stability. When he signed with the Bolts, he looked pretty good. A good bootom 6 shut down D..... something the Leafs sorely lacked.

Buffalo played at a 99 point pace with Bogo in the lineup last year (better than Toronto). He was deployed heavily in the third period to successfully keep the lead.

Quote:
So I think Bogo just might see more playing time than people think..... not so much based on his skill level, but what is game brings to the overall mix of the blueline.

The same types of fans were completely convinced that Hainsey was going to be a third pairing D (or a #7/8) when he was brought in the summer of 2017.
Dec. 28, 2020 at 11:11 a.m.
Meh
If Bogosian was a must have and absolute starter, it wouldn't have taken only 1 mill to sign him.

He was offered significantly more elsewhere. Bogo cares far more about playing than money.

Quote:
one who has been superior over the past 2 seasons (Dermott) plays better than Bogosian

Some day the analytics crowd will discover that it is harder to play against good players than bad players. It won't be today. It won't be next year. It probably won't be for several decades and no one should take a word they say seriously in the mean time.

Quote:
Only an idiot would think that, because as we all know there is only one correct answer to anything hockey related and it's whatever you decide is correct.

There is a reason that you are wrong about everything. It is because your opinions are not based on understanding hockey, but your cult-like devotion to horrendously bad advanced statistics.
Dec. 28, 2020 at 12:30 p.m.
Banned
He was offered significantly more elsewhere. Bogo cares far more about playing than money.

Quote:
one who has been superior over the past 2 seasons (Dermott) plays better than Bogosian

Some day the analytics crowd will discover that it is harder to play against good players than bad players. It won't be today. It won't be next year. It probably won't be for several decades and no one should take a word they say seriously in the mean time.

Quote:
Only an idiot would think that, because as we all know there is only one correct answer to anything hockey related and it's whatever you decide is correct.

There is a reason that you are wrong about everything. It is because your opinions are not based on understanding hockey, but your cult-like devotion to horrendously bad advanced statistics.

Well you got something right there. It is harder to play against good players than bad players. Funny thing is Bogosian isn't really a good player and the past several years have proven it. But hey he hits people so for some cement heads he's the best.
Dec. 28, 2020 at 12:35 p.m.
Banned

Quote:

Quote:

I should also add that I do think the anayltics crowd still hasn't figured it out yet. Many analytics help show some interesting stuff but it also hasn't really found a reliable way to correlate how a system can affect a player. Which is why according the popular analytics every Carolina player is a god but the team somehow manages to be just above average.
Dec. 28, 2020 at 1:01 p.m.
Meh
Well you got something right there. It is harder to play against good players than bad players. Funny thing is Bogosian isn't really a good player and the past several years have proven it. But hey he hits people so for some cement heads he's the best.

Over the last two years Bogo has faced TOI against elite players in the 75th percentile Dermott the 19th percentile (Muzzin was in the 76th percentile, but with much, much better QOT). Bogo's OZ start ratio was in the 21st percentile. Dermott's in the 81st percentile. Bogo was taking very tough minutes on a bad team. Dermott the opposite. There is no way to even compare the two and claiming that the one who played much easier minutes was superior is completely baseless.
Dec. 28, 2020 at 1:53 p.m.
Banned
Over the last two years Bogo has faced TOI against elite players in the 75th percentile Dermott the 19th percentile (Muzzin was in the 76th percentile, but with much, much better QOT). Bogo's OZ start ratio was in the 21st percentile. Dermott's in the 81st percentile. Bogo was taking very tough minutes on a bad team. Dermott the opposite. There is no way to even compare the two and claiming that the one who played much easier minutes was superior is completely baseless.

He was also a healthy scratch at times in Tampa. He's not a great player but does offer good depth that will come in handy.
Dec. 28, 2020 at 3:02 p.m.
Meh
He was also a healthy scratch at times in Tampa. He's not a great player but does offer good depth that will come in handy.

Dermott would not have made it into the lineup in Tampa at all.
Dec. 28, 2020 at 3:46 p.m.
Banned
Dermott would not have made it into the lineup in Tampa at all.

Lol sure bud. The guy was top 5 in the league as a 3rd pairing guy. He is young and has a decent amount of upside. But as with all your opinions, anything to do with the Leafs is crap. Not a troll at all. Lol
Dec. 28, 2020 at 4:24 p.m.
Meh
Lol sure bud. The guy was top 5 in the league as a 3rd pairing guy. He is young and has a decent amount of upside. But as with all your opinions, anything to do with the Leafs is crap. Not a troll at all. Lol

Tampa had Hedman, McDonagh and Sergachev on the left. Cernak, Shattenkirk, Bogosian and Schenn on the right with Coburn subbing in 3 games on the left when McDonagh was injured and Rutta occasionally subbing in on the right.
Even with Tampa running 7D there was no chance Dermott would have got in outside of the complete fantasy land you live in.
Dec. 28, 2020 at 4:44 p.m.
Banned
Tampa had Hedman, McDonagh and Sergachev on the left. Cernak, Shattenkirk, Bogosian and Schenn on the right with Coburn subbing in 3 games on the left when McDonagh was injured and Rutta occasionally subbing in on the right.
Even with Tampa running 7D there was no chance Dermott would have got in outside of the complete fantasy land you live in.

Cool story troll, I bet Matthews wouldn't crack their lineup either.
Dec. 28, 2020 at 5:02 p.m.
Meh
Cool story troll, I bet Matthews wouldn't crack their lineup either.

Tampa changed their team in order to actually win in the playoffs last year. That meant bringing in D who were big, experienced vets. Essentially they decided to change in the exact opposite ways as what you and the analytics cult advocate - which is why they won the cup and the Leafs' didn't make the playoffs.
Dec. 28, 2020 at 5:09 p.m.
Banned
Tampa changed their team in order to actually win in the playoffs last year. That meant bringing in D who were big, experienced vets. Essentially they decided to change in the exact opposite ways as what you and the analytics cult advocate - which is why they won the cup and the Leafs' didn't make the playoffs.

They changed their periphery players, kept the same core that failed year after year but people need a reason to point to their desire to see the Leafs blow up the roster because they love trolling.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll