Forums/Armchair-GM

Yakupov & Hanzal.. thoughts?

Created by: CaptainFlynnt
Team: 2016-17 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 11, 2016
Published: Dec. 11, 2016
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I was NEVER a fan of trading for yakupov. However now I'm starting to wonder since he can be had for nothing, if yakupov-galchenyuk-gallagher would make a good 2nd line. Galchenyuk can carry a line by himself, but plekanec quietly racked up 4 pts in between pacioretty and radulov last night.

The yakupov trade is basically a cap dump for st. Louis and a gamble for montreal.

The hanzal trade is for depth in case plekanec or galchenyuk are hurt. Otherwise I'd be happy with danault as #3C. De la Rose and a 2nd for Hanzal. Desharnais is a cap dump and the 3rd round pick is compensation. I already know there's gonna be people that say Hanzal is worth more, if that's the case I'm not making the deal. Lehkonen-Danault-Shaw is a great 3rd line.
Trades
ARI
  1. De La Rose, Jacob
  2. Desharnais, David
  3. 2017 2nd round pick (WSH)
  4. 2017 3rd round pick (MTL)
MTL
  1. Yakupov, Nail ($750,000 retained)
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$73,000,000$65,628,684$0$257,500$7,371,316
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$4,050,000$4,050,000
LW
UFA - 3
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C
UFA - 2
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RW
UFA - 1
$1,750,000$1,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$2,800,000$2,800,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 1
$3,750,000$3,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 5
$839,166$839,166 (Performance Bonus$257,500$258K)
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$1,550,000$1,550,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C, RW
UFA - 6
$912,500$912,500
C
UFA - 2
$1,200,000$1,200,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$1,166,667$1,166,667
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$725,000$725,000
LW
UFA - 2
$950,000$950,000
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$2,982,375$2,982,375
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$7,857,143$7,857,143
RD
UFA - 10
$6,500,000$6,500,000
G
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$5,750,000$5,750,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
$950,000$950,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$612,500$612,500
RD
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
RD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 11, 2016 at 11:50 a.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Acquiring Desharnais in a Hanzal trade means nothing to the Coyotes. He'll just leave as a free agent anyways. And Montreal might have to give up Scherbak or McCarron to get Hanzal.
Dec. 11, 2016 at 12:35 p.m.
Habs
Quoting: krakowitz
Acquiring Desharnais in a Hanzal trade means nothing to the Coyotes. He'll just leave as a free agent anyways. And Montreal might have to give up Scherbak or McCarron to get Hanzal.
Did you read the description? Probably not... as I said Desharnais is a cap dump, if Arizona doesn't take his contract the trade CANNOT happen. And as I also said... people like you will say montreal needs to offer more for Hanzal. If so forget about it montreal has Danault already and although Hanzal would be a nice depth addition, there is 0 chance I'd give up scherbak or mccarron for a rental like hanzal.
Dec. 11, 2016 at 12:54 p.m.
Bringer_Of_Snow
Pretty much what is said above. Hansel getting traded will net the coyotes a 1st rounder plus prospects. They have no desire in acquiring a veteran who's headed to FA as the main return. I'm confident he'll get a first as he appears to be one of the top players who will likely be dealt at the deadline
Dec. 11, 2016 at 1:12 p.m.
Habs
Quoting: Bringer_Of_Snow
Pretty much what is said above. Hansel getting traded will net the coyotes a 1st rounder plus prospects. They have no desire in acquiring a veteran who's headed to FA as the main return. I'm confident he'll get a first as he appears to be one of the top players who will likely be dealt at the deadline
I've NEVER said they had interest in Desharnais. This is a cap world and most teams that will be interested in Hanzal don't have a lot of cap space. If Hanzal is worth a 1st + prospects congrats to whoever is willing to offer that, I'm not and I hope montreal doesn't.
Dec. 11, 2016 at 2:20 p.m.
yakupov sucks
Dec. 11, 2016 at 3:51 p.m.
Habs
Quoting: Apag11
yakupov sucks
Probably, I've never really watched him. Given his history with galchenyuk and our need for 1 more top 6 player, he might be a cheap solution. It really would be something if he turned into the player he was drafted to be alongside galchenyuk.
Dec. 11, 2016 at 4:03 p.m.
Watty1
Quoting: CaptainFlynnt
Quoting: Apag11
yakupov sucks
Probably, I've never really watched him. Given his history with galchenyuk and our need for 1 more top 6 player, he might be a cheap solution. It really would be something if he turned into the player he was drafted to be alongside galchenyuk.
The Yakupov trade probably needs a mid round pick going to STL and then it should work. But to be honest, I think Yakupov goes back to the KHL next year.

Hanzal trade probably has to be something like:

Montreal Canadiens

Martin Hanzal

Arizona Coyotes

Philip Danault
Noah Juulsen
Conditional 1st Round Pick (goes to 2nd if Hanzal doesn't re-sign)

...something along those lines
Dec. 11, 2016 at 6:21 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Watty1
The Yakupov trade probably needs a mid round pick going to STL and then it should work. But to be honest, I think Yakupov goes back to the KHL next year.

Montreal Canadiens

Martin Hanzal

Arizona Coyotes

Philip Danault
Noah Juulsen

hahaha that much for Hanzal? Good one. I get it that he's going to be a hot commodity because he's gonna be like the only one available, but you're giving up a C that has a future in Montreal of being a 2C, a potential top-4 Dman, plus a conditional 1st. That's WAY too much. More like a B prospect and a 1st or two 2nds.
Dec. 11, 2016 at 6:40 p.m.
Bringer_Of_Snow
I've NEVER said they had interest in Desharnais. This is a cap world and most teams that will be interested in Hanzal don't have a lot of cap space. If Hanzal is worth a 1st + prospects congrats to whoever is willing to offer that, I'm not and I hope montreal doesn't.

Settle down. It doesn't take a genius to see that in the package you put together, DD probably the best piece. That means that the prime source of value going back to Zona is a small, ageing vet who is a FA this summer. Later picks and a B level prospect wont get him. And I completely agree Hanzal isn't worth it, but given the lack of options that there appears to be, simply supply and demand suggest it will happen.
Dec. 11, 2016 at 6:54 p.m.
Watty1
Quoting: Caphead

Montreal Canadiens

Martin Hanzal

Arizona Coyotes

Philip Danault
Noah Juulsen

hahaha that much for Hanzal? Good one. I get it that he's going to be a hot commodity because he's gonna be like the only one available, but you're giving up a C that has a future in Montreal of being a 2C, a potential top-4 Dman, plus a conditional 1st. That's WAY too much. More like a B prospect and a 1st or two 2nds.

A 2C? haha and you're the one laughing? I want to see Hanzal's stats when plays with good players. Arizona is going to get their asking price - weak market this year. Maybe Juulsen isn't in the asking price. But certainly Danault + a 1st is where it would start.
Dec. 11, 2016 at 7:38 p.m.
Banned

A 2C? haha and you're the one laughing? I want to see Hanzal's stats when plays with good players. Arizona is going to get their asking price - weak market this year. Maybe Juulsen isn't in the asking price. But certainly Danault + a 1st is where it would start.
Danualt has the POTENTIAL to be a 2C, don't know what you're laughing at especially with that garbage trade. They might ask for him but it wouldn't be smart for the Habs to give that much up for a rental. They're not gonna win anyways. They rely too much on Carey. And you can't peak in the start of the season because you start to get worn down. You have to start playing your best hockey in March. Look at the Pens last year as an example.
Dec. 11, 2016 at 9:13 p.m.
Habs
Lehkonen-Danault-Shaw have great chemistry and the only value I see in Hanzel to the habs is depth. If plekanec or galchenyuk are hurt during the playoffs having a guy like Hanzel would be pretty valuable but I don't think it's a deal montreal has to make. Certainly don't have to trade a top prospect and a 1st for him that's a joke.
Dec. 11, 2016 at 9:17 p.m.
Habs

Settle down. It doesn't take a genius to see that in the package you put together, DD probably the best piece. That means that the prime source of value going back to Zona is a small, ageing vet who is a FA this summer. Later picks and a B level prospect wont get him. And I completely agree Hanzal isn't worth it, but given the lack of options that there appears to be, simply supply and demand suggest it will happen.
Dude I considered Desharnais as negative value in that trade.. that's why I added the 3rd round pick. It's compensation for Arizona taking salary back. De la rose doesn't have a lot of value but he will one day be a regular in a teams bottom 6. He's a young C that could play right now exactly what Arizona wants, if they prefer Hudon they can have him, but a top prospect like McCarron juulson scherbak etc. No chance.

And I'm glad you agree Hanzel is not worth it but that's what I've been saying right from the start even in the description! I just took exception to the fact you think desharnais is the main piece in that trade.
Dec. 12, 2016 at 1:11 a.m.
Watty1

Danualt has the POTENTIAL to be a 2C, don't know what you're laughing at especially with that garbage trade. They might ask for him but it wouldn't be smart for the Habs to give that much up for a rental. They're not gonna win anyways. They rely too much on Carey. And you can't peak in the start of the season because you start to get worn down. You have to start playing your best hockey in March. Look at the Pens last year as an example.
Then he'll go to another team.
Dec. 12, 2016 at 12:57 p.m.
Holy moly, I'm staying out of this.

All sorts of wrong in the comments of this one guys. Sorry. Just a couple notes

A "cap dump" doesn't mean I give you a worthless piece so now I can trade with you. It means in order for me to trade with you, I need you to take something off my hands that is worthless. In exchange for doing this, I'll give you more value because your not only giving me a good player but your taking back a player with salary also. Thus making it like we're just swapping players and salaries. (DD for Hanzal)

A DD trade to Arizona for Hanzal absolutely makes sense. But MTL has to give Arizona extra picks/prospects/value etc in order for it to make sense for them. Otherwise there will be a team that wants Hanzal and will give them only prospects and picks in return for him. with out any salary going back. Or a cheap good NHL regular if that is what they prefer. So if lets say they wanted Lehkonen for Hanzal. We'd ask them to take DD as well and if they do so, we'll give them a good draft pick also. Like a 2nd rounder. Otherwise MTL can't afford Hanzal so if Arizona really wanted Lehkonen, they'd have to retain salary on Hanzal and we'd give them an extra draft pick as compenation for that instead.

Also, a lot of people batter off trades for pending UFA's involving a ton of picks and prospects like that is the apparent value they have....... If you want to get an better idea, look for previous trades at the deadline where a player of equal significance was traded for. For example: Andrew Ladd last year garnered basically a late 1st rounder, a prospect in Marko Dano and a conditional pick which they didn't end up getting anyway. Also WPG retained 36% of his salary on top of that. Compare Hanzal and Ladd and most would agree Ladd is the more valuable player (At that time). Thus Hanzal is more than likely to get less of a return than that. That's how teams judge value and what it would cost. Its the same way players use other players with similar stats for getting pay raises. "This player scored the same as me so I should be worth what he got." Same principle in trading. Obviously the longer time has passed since that trade, the terms change but generally it holds true. There are trades that make precedence but those are quite rare and tend to have one team getting screwed.
nobody liked this.
Dec. 13, 2016 at 2:47 p.m.
Habs
Edited Dec. 14, 2016 at 12:39 a.m.
Quoting: F50marco
Holy moly, I'm staying out of this.

All sorts of wrong in the comments of this one guys. Sorry. Just a couple notes

A "cap dump" doesn't mean I give you a worthless piece so now I can trade with you. It means in order for me to trade with you, I need you to take something off my hands that is worthless. In exchange for doing this, I'll give you more value because your not only giving me a good player but your taking back a player with salary also. Thus making it like we're just swapping players and salaries. (DD for Hanzal)

A DD trade to Arizona for Hanzal absolutely makes sense. But MTL has to give Arizona extra picks/prospects/value etc in order for it to make sense for them. Otherwise there will be a team that wants Hanzal and will give them only prospects and picks in return for him. with out any salary going back. Or a cheap good NHL regular if that is what they prefer. So if lets say they wanted Lehkonen for Hanzal. We'd ask them to take DD as well and if they do so, we'll give them a good draft pick also. Like a 2nd rounder. Otherwise MTL can't afford Hanzal so if Arizona really wanted Lehkonen, they'd have to retain salary on Hanzal and we'd give them an extra draft pick as compenation for that instead.

Also, a lot of people batter off trades for pending UFA's involving a ton of picks and prospects like that is the apparent value they have....... If you want to get an better idea, look for previous trades at the deadline where a player of equal significance was traded for. For example: Andrew Ladd last year garnered basically a late 1st rounder, a prospect in Marko Dano and a conditional pick which they didn't end up getting anyway. Also WPG retained 36% of his salary on top of that. Compare Hanzal and Ladd and most would agree Ladd is the more valuable player (At that time). Thus Hanzal is more than likely to get less of a return than that. That's how teams judge value and what it would cost. Its the same way players use other players with similar stats for getting pay raises. "This player scored the same as me so I should be worth what he got." Same principle in trading. Obviously the longer time has passed since that trade, the terms change but generally it holds true. There are trades that make precedence but those are quite rare and tend to have one team getting screwed.

Exactly how I came to the conclusion Hanzal is worth no more than de la rose and a 2nd. I look at the trades bergevin made for vanek (a bust and a 2nd) and Petry (a 2nd and a conditional pick that ended up being a 4th I believe). Arizona would be getting a fair deal in this one I think. A lot of people think Hanzal should fetch a 1st but if the asking price is a young C in return as well than you aren't getting a 1st round pick, unless Arizona retains a lot of salary.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll