Forums/Armchair-GM

Fire Bergevin

Created by: mistergm87
Team: 2020-21 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 24, 2021
Published: Feb. 24, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I know that firing Claude Julien was the right move and all that but, i feel bergevin should be gone if mtl doesn't make the playoffs this year.
The mete story is something i find very concerning imo, rumors leaaks that mete has asked for a trade because he is not playing. ( His value is absolutely nothing because he doesn't play)
Then, out of nowhere, mete starts playing every game almost. Kulak is bench and romanov also. Mete plays like crap saturday against Toronto and he's still in the lineup which i don't understand at all. Romanov played one bad game and he's in the stands. Mete sucks and he's still playing. I found this very weird. I hope Bergevin wasn't in Julien ears telling him who should be plaaying and all that but it sures looks like it. IMO bergevin was trying to boost mete value because i don't understand the logic behind claude julien not playing mete all of the first 10 games and them after all the rumors playing him everytime. It makes no sense to me.
This team sucked last year and i feel like this team was super overhyped at the start of the year because if you compare this team to the one that was in the floor of the standings last year, they are very similar. Okay, he added Toffoli who is a upgrade and Anderson also an upgrade from Domi but thoses players aren't game changers, they are a little bit more than average at best. The rest of the team is the same and some of their best guys are regressing. Price is not the same, Weber is not a top 2 defenceman, Chiarot is baad and Kotkaniemi has been regressing ever since he got drafted (except for the bubble where he had 5-6 great games but this season, he's been pretty bad). Bergevin has tied his hands with the salary cap because he overpaid everybody and they aren't near contenders level imo. Its sad to see but i feel like this team needs a big retool.
Trades
MTL
  1. Montour, Brandon ($1,925,000 retained)
BUF
  1. Mete, Victor
  2. Tatar, Tomas
  3. 2021 3rd round pick (WSH)
BUF
  1. Byron, Paul
  2. Caufield, Cole [Reserve List]
  3. Chiarot, Ben
  4. Kotkaniemi, Jesperi
  5. Poehling, Ryan
  6. 2021 1st round pick (MTL)
  7. 2021 2nd round pick (MTL)
NYR
  1. Fleury, Cale
  2. Sheahan, Riley
  3. 2021 4th round pick (VGK)
Buyouts
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$75,631,309$0$637,500$5,868,691
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$10,000,000$10,000,000
C
UFA - 6
$3,750,000$3,750,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
$2,125,000$2,125,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
C
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 7
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$3,083,333$3,083,333
C
UFA - 1
$2,550,000$2,550,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Logo of the New York Rangers
$1,550,000$1,550,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 2
$2,600,000$2,600,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$875,000$875,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
LD
RFA - 2
$7,857,143$7,857,143
RD
UFA - 6
$4,350,000$4,350,000
G
UFA - 1
$5,950,000$5,950,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 5
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$1,925,000$1,925,000
RD
UFA - 1
$1,050,000$1,050,000
G
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$750,000$750,000
RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
Taxi Squad
$750,000$750,000 ($0$0$0$0)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000 ($0$0$0$0)
C, RW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000 ($0$0$0$0)
G
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 24, 2021 at 2:33 p.m.
Banned
I think Bergevin has a long leash with management and it's been earned. He's constructed a roster that can play almost any style of play and he's managed the cap well. He's draft record is pretty good, and he's been winning a lot of trades by a landslide for a few years. The coaching change should help a lot. I don't think he's on the hot seat at all.

Side note: Romanov hasn't looked good in more than 1 game. Every game against Toronto he's looked out of place and he can clearly be out muscled and passed by with speed. He might need some time in the AHL to develop better before he loses all confidence.
Feb. 24, 2021 at 2:38 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
“Mete starts playing every game almost”

He was put into the lineup for 1 game after Kulak struggled, played really well, and then played 2 more games before getting taken out of the lineup again. He took 2 borderline penalties, but wasn’t that bad.

Also, all of the decisions in regards to Mete are made by CJ, not by Bergy. So all you’re doing is supporting that CJ deserved to be fired.
Feb. 24, 2021 at 2:39 p.m.
Quoting: Ryminister_27
I think Bergevin has a long leash with management and it's been earned. He's constructed a roster that can play almost any style of play and he's managed the cap well. He's draft record is pretty good, and he's been winning a lot of trades by a landslide for a few years. The coaching change should help a lot. I don't think he's on the hot seat at all.

Side note: Romanov hasn't looked good in more than 1 game. Every game against Toronto he's looked out of place and he can clearly be out muscled and passed by with speed. He might need some time in the AHL to develop better before he loses all confidence.

don't agree with the fact that he managed the cap well. He has average player evrery where but this makes mtl an average team. They need a star player like eichel ( only one that might be on the market imo) because thats what it takes to win the cup. You need to have guys that are game-changers on your top6 who might get paid more but, a team needs to have cheap depth to compensate for that. You can't have 14M$ on your goaltender and like 10M$ on your third line and top 6 defenceman being paid almost 4M$
Feb. 24, 2021 at 2:42 p.m.
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
“Mete starts playing every game almost”

He was put into the lineup for 1 game after Kulak struggled, played really well, and then played 2 more games before getting taken out of the lineup again. He took 2 borderline penalties, but wasn’t that bad.

Also, all of the decisions in regards to Mete are made by CJ, not by Bergy. So all you’re doing is supporting that CJ deserved to be fired.

what makes you think that. we don't know what is going on behind the scenes, if MB feels he has authority on the head coach because he is the GM and its his team them he can decide what he wants. If the head coach doesnz,t agree then he is fired. I said CJ deserved to be fired, but the blame is not all on him imo. Not on Kirk muller also
Feb. 24, 2021 at 2:46 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: mistergm87
what makes you think that. we don't know what is going on behind the scenes, if MB feels he has authority on the head coach because he is the GM and its his team them he can decide what he wants. If the head coach doesnz,t agree then he is fired.

Even if he were to do something like that (which just doesn’t happen) what is his motivation for making this decision, and why is it grounds for him being fired?

You’re arguing that Bergevin should be fired for a lineup decision on a depth player that is probably a less that 1% probability that he even made that decision.
MTLFAN27 liked this.
Feb. 24, 2021 at 2:52 p.m.
Even if he were to do something like that (which just doesn’t happen) what is his motivation for making this decision, and why is it grounds for him being fired?

You’re arguing that Bergevin should be fired for a lineup decision on a depth player that is probably a less that 1% probability that he even made that decision.

well if mtl doesn't make the playoffs then he should be fired because it would show that CJ maybe wasn't the problem and i also point to the fact that mtl media really overhyped thisteam and MB. everybody was ready to say that mtl was winning the cup and bergevin is gm of the year and blablabla and i feel like the fact that they were coming back to normal right now pissed off Bergevin. I feel like he still see like Mtl can be a contender this year wihch is not the case
Feb. 24, 2021 at 2:56 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: mistergm87
well if mtl doesn't make the playoffs then he should be fired because it would show that CJ maybe wasn't the problem and i also point to the fact that mtl media really overhyped thisteam and MB. everybody was ready to say that mtl was winning the cup and bergevin is gm of the year and blablabla and i feel like the fact that they were coming back to normal right now pissed off Bergevin. I feel like he still see like Mtl can be a contender this year wihch is not the case

Ok, I see you don’t have any valid points, and are clearly just salty that the habs beat the Pens in the play-ins last year. Well, anyways, he isn’t getting fired since you’re not Geoff Moulson. Have fun watching the Pens deal with the wreckage that Jim Rutherford left behind over the next few years. 👋
Feb. 24, 2021 at 2:57 p.m.
Chill on KK man. He certainly hasn't regressed from last season. Last playoffs maybe but not last season. He has 8 PTS in 18 games while not even playing in the top 6 and not playing much on the PP.
Feb. 24, 2021 at 3:00 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
As an outsider....I thought Montreal was coming on last season. The additions this year put the Habs is a great situation this year.
Gee, I can't understand their sudden decline......Seem to have good LWers and RWers. Maybe just a average centres but they are young. Defence should be at better than most as is the goaltending.

Thought the Leafs, Habs, and Jets are the class of the division and each team just takes its chances in the playoffs.
Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Feb. 24, 2021 at 3:11 p.m.
Quoting: palhal
As an outsider....I thought Montreal was coming on last season. The additions this year put the Habs is a great situation this year.
Gee, I can't understand their sudden decline......Seem to have good LWers and RWers. Maybe just a average centres but they are young. Defence should be at better than most as is the goaltending.

Thought the Leafs, Habs, and Jets are the class of the division and each team just takes its chances in the playoffs.

edmonton should be their also. Can't underestimate mcdavid and draisaitl
Feb. 24, 2021 at 3:16 p.m.
Ok, I see you don’t have any valid points, and are clearly just salty that the habs beat the Pens in the play-ins last year. Well, anyways, he isn’t getting fired since you’re not Geoff Moulson. Have fun watching the Pens deal with the wreckage that Jim Rutherford left behind over the next few years. 👋

i can guaraantee you that he gets fired if they don't make the playoffs (which is a huge possibility) and don't care rutherford won 2 cups with pittsburgh something mtl haven't and will probably not for the next 10 years because of their horrible contracts and no superstar talent. i said superstar not star so i don't waanna hear nothing about caufield and suzuki and definitely not kk
Feb. 24, 2021 at 9:33 p.m.
VAN is not making that deal. They want nothing to do with that Price contract.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll