Hall and Hamilton

Created by: newmy
Team: 2021-22 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 17, 2021
Published: Mar. 17, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
1st + Neal to Seattle
Koskinen + Jones + sweetener for Merzlikins (per Athletic article)

Use cap to land some big agents that help put this team into contention now.

If Klefbom comes back, if not, put him on LTIR and move Koekoek up with Near and Lagesson with Bouchard.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$825,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,250,000
2$1,250,000
3$2,750,000
2$800,000
2$800,000
1$800,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
6$6,250,000
1$1,000,000
1$1,000,000
1$1,000,000
5$7,000,000
7$8,500,000
Trades
CBJ
  1. Jones, Caleb
  2. Koskinen, Mikko
  3. 2021 6th round pick (PIT)
EDM
ANA
  1. Neal, James
  2. 2021 1st round pick (EDM)
Additional Details:
Seattle expansion
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$81,500,000$81,659,672$669,339$850,000-$159,672
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LW
UFA - 4
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$12,500,000$12,500,000
C
UFA - 5
$1,175,000$1,175,000
RW
UFA - 1
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LW, C
UFA - 8
$8,500,000$8,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 4
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RW
RFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LW, RW, C
UFA
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 3
$825,000$825,000
LW, C
RFA - 3
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C
UFA
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,600,000$5,600,000
LD
UFA - 1
$8,500,000$8,500,000
RD
UFA - 7
Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
$4,000,000$4,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$4,167,000$4,167,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
$785,000$785,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$725,000$725,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$1,650,000$1,650,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 17, 2021 at 1:39 a.m.
there’s zero incentive for seattle to do that.
Riley816 liked this.
Mar. 17, 2021 at 2:12 a.m.
Quoting: Leafs_fan13

Even less for Columbus. Merzlikins is exempt from the expansion draft. Columbus loses Koskinen or Korpisalo or Jones in the draft and end up trading Merzlikins for Jones and a 6th??
Leafs_fan13 liked this.
Mar. 17, 2021 at 8:19 a.m.
Puck you, puck ur wi
Why are Oiler fans so infatuated with Hall? What has he done with Eichel.

Also who are you resigning next year?
CD282 liked this.
Mar. 17, 2021 at 12:42 p.m.
Quoting: Leafs_fan13

Zero incentive?

Neal is a serviceable NHL player and only has two years left. Seattle won’t be able to pull off the same success as Vegas did and likely won’t be competitive for at least two+ years. Their focus is going to be on building up a pipeline of prospects. They’ll also likely need some hefty short term contracts to help hit the salary floor... Neal is an NHL player who helps them get to the salary floor and bridges them for two years when he can be replaced by prospects. Finally, a mid-first round pick is a damn good incentive to take on Neal, who, like I explained, helps them already achieve some of their other goals. I wouldn’t say that’s zero incentive.
Mar. 17, 2021 at 12:48 p.m.
Quoting: DONTGIVEAPUCK13
Why are Oiler fans so infatuated with Hall? What has he done with Eichel.

Also who are you resigning next year?

I get where you’re coming from with this comment. It seems there’s been some strong desire to get Hall back to Edmonton ever since he left. In all honesty, my suggestion of signing Hall strictly comes from:

- he’s one of the best left wingers in UFA this summer, and the Oilers need a bonafied top-6 left winger to truly round out their top two lines.
- given the ties and friendships to the existing Oilers core, maybe we could snag him on a longer term deal at a bit of a discount
- he’s outlined in past interviews that he has “unfinished business” with Edmonton. Maybe that further inspires him to actually sign with the Oilers? Or maybe he just wants to murder Chiarelli...? Lol

A top-6 left wing doesn’t need to be Hall, I just figured for the above reasons, it could potentially make sense.
Mar. 17, 2021 at 12:51 p.m.
Quoting: Riley816
Even less for Columbus. Merzlikins is exempt from the expansion draft. Columbus loses Koskinen or Korpisalo or Jones in the draft and end up trading Merzlikins for Jones and a 6th??

I don’t disagree; though, with this traded, I leaned heavily on what was advised in one of The Athletic articles recently published, authored by Allan Mitchell. It’s a fairly reputable and respectable combination...

That said, my eyebrow did raise when I read the article. And I may have misinterpreted what a “sweetener” looks like when suggesting a 6th round pick.

Regardless, if Columbus actually took this trade, the Oilers should accept that every day of the week.
Mar. 17, 2021 at 12:56 p.m.
Quoting: newmy
Zero incentive?

Neal is a serviceable NHL player and only has two years left. Seattle won’t be able to pull off the same success as Vegas did and likely won’t be competitive for at least two+ years. Their focus is going to be on building up a pipeline of prospects. They’ll also likely need some hefty short term contracts to help hit the salary floor... Neal is an NHL player who helps them get to the salary floor and bridges them for two years when he can be replaced by prospects. Finally, a mid-first round pick is a damn good incentive to take on Neal, who, like I explained, helps them already achieve some of their other goals. I wouldn’t say that’s zero incentive.

Exactly. And assuming we trade Jones, they'll likely only have Turris, Neal, Russell, Kassian to choose from. Unless one of our pending free agents signs with them at expansion which is unlikely

Between those 4 choices, why wouldn't they just take a 1st and Neal. We have 0 value besides that to offer
newmy liked this.
Mar. 17, 2021 at 12:57 p.m.
Puck you, puck ur wi
I get where you’re coming from with this comment. It seems there’s been some strong desire to get Hall back to Edmonton ever since he left. In all honesty, my suggestion of signing Hall strictly comes from:

- he’s one of the best left wingers in UFA this summer, and the Oilers need a bonafied top-6 left winger to truly round out their top two lines.
- given the ties and friendships to the existing Oilers core, maybe we could snag him on a longer term deal at a bit of a discount
- he’s outlined in past interviews that he has “unfinished business” with Edmonton. Maybe that further inspires him to actually sign with the Oilers? Or maybe he just wants to murder Chiarelli...? Lol

A top-6 left wing doesn’t need to be Hall, I just figured for the above reasons, it could potentially make sense.

IMO Hall wants to be a driver and I dont think he fits with McDavid in that position. Someone like Hyman (who has 10 goals vs Ovi @ 11) brings an element to that ine and has proven success with elite players. Could look at Hoffman or Saad as well but they have less goals this year as well.

Secondly you lose some key pices next with these signings: Bear, Nurse, Elvis... all need new contracts at higher cap hits and the cap probably stays flat
CD282 liked this.
Mar. 17, 2021 at 1:01 p.m.
Puck you, puck ur wi
Quoting: McDavidFan97
Exactly. And assuming we trade Jones, they'll likely only have Turris, Neal, Russell, Kassian to choose from. Unless one of our pending free agents signs with them at expansion which is unlikely

Between those 4 choices, why wouldn't they just take a 1st and Neal. We have 0 value besides that to offer

What about Lagesson? My Protected List is: Connor, Leon, Nuge, JP, Yamo, Kahun, Jujhar Bear, Nurse , Kelf/Larsson? idk if Holland resigns guys before the draft
Mar. 17, 2021 at 1:11 p.m.
IMO Hall wants to be a driver and I dont think he fits with McDavid in that position. Someone like Hyman (who has 10 goals vs Ovi 11) brings an element to that ine and has proven success with elite players. Could look at Hoffman or Saad as well but they have less goals this year as well.

Secondly you lose some key pices next with these signings: Bear, Nurse, Elvis... all need new contracts at higher cap hits and the cap probably stays flat

I love the idea of Hoffman playing with McDavid as well. For whatever reason, I just can’t buy into the Hyman hype, though he definitely has been if playing unreal. So yes, someone at lesser $$ and term than Hall makes sense.

For the following season, if Kelf is healthy, I think you look into cashing in on a trade. Frees up $4.17MM and could likely steal a 1st rounder for him. At that point, I’m assuming Broberg will be ready for top-4 (at least top-6) minutes. And as proven this year, the Oilers can survive without Klefbom.

I’d also suggest that by the beginning of the 22/23 season, Holland will realize that it’s time to move on from Kassian and could look to dump him in some trade or buy him out.

Between these two moves, plus the already $22.0MM available, the Oilers would be looking at close to $30.0MM in cap space. To your point, it’s a flat cap, so the players will be feeling it too and won’t be able to demand huge pay raises either. I suspect the Oilers could likely sign all of those players and then some with $30.0MM.
CD282 liked this.
Mar. 17, 2021 at 1:16 p.m.
What about Lagesson? My Protected List is: Connor, Leon, Nuge, JP, Yamo, Kahun, Jujhar Bear, Nurse , Kelf/Larsson? idk if Holland resigns guys before the draft

Kelf is likely going to be exempt from the expansion draft given his injury.

And if I was Seattle, I would much rather take Neal plus a mid-round first over Lagesson... again, they’ll need some short-term hefty contracts to hit the salary floor that fall off in time to be replaced by prospects. Neal and a first round helps them accomplish all of that. Lagesson is at most a top-6 / 7th d-man on a small contract. They’ll have 30 other teams that offer up a similar asset to Lagesson...
Mar. 17, 2021 at 1:17 p.m.
IMO Hall wants to be a driver and I dont think he fits with McDavid in that position. Someone like Hyman (who has 10 goals vs Ovi @ 11) brings an element to that ine and has proven success with elite players. Could look at Hoffman or Saad as well but they have less goals this year as well.

I wouldn't mind Hall or Hamilton but I probably wouldn't sign either to term as they aren't what the team needs at all. A guy like Seth Jones (UFA 2022) is FAR more enticing than Hamilton IMO. Personally I think they'll resign either Larsson or Barrie to a short-term deal and pursue a Jones / Parayko type the following summer.

There are tons of better forwards than Hall slated to become UFA's in 2022 as well, so there's no reason to give Hall term. Or $7M, the way he's been playing.
Mar. 17, 2021 at 1:36 p.m.
Quoting: CD282
I wouldn't mind Hall or Hamilton but I probably wouldn't sign either to term as they aren't what the team needs at all. A guy like Seth Jones (UFA 2022) is FAR more enticing than Hamilton IMO. Personally I think they'll resign either Larsson or Barrie to a short-term deal and pursue a Jones / Parayko type the following summer.

There are tons of better forwards than Hall slated to become UFA's in 2022 as well, so there's no reason to give Hall term. Or $7M, the way he's been playing.

I disagree about Hall and Hamilton not being what the Oilers need now. With McDavid and Draisaitl now well I to their careers and primes, the Oilers should be looking at “win now”, or “win within a year or two” type signings.

That said, I do agree that there are potentially other UFA LW’s this summer, Hamilton is without a doubt the top d-man. What I’m trying to get at with head moves is that the Oilers need to make top tier signings that help them win within the next few years; not things that buy them one more year, or building up prospects. By the time that strategy pays its benefits, the McDaddy and Drai will be nearing the end of their current contracts (a scary thought for Oilers Fans).

PS. Seth Jones has been quite literally awful over the last few years. His advanced stats are completely underwhelming and suggest he’s a top-6 (top-4 at the highest) d-man. Don’t get me wrong though, I’ve always thought he was good, but I don’t ever watch him play, and the advanced stats speak for themselves. I don’t think Edmonton should be taking bets anymore; rather, pursue a sure thing (i.e. Hamilton).
Mar. 17, 2021 at 2:12 p.m.

Here's how I'd do it

Assuming we: trade Jones, waive/trade Stalock, Klefbom is out for good or ruled ineligible for expansion: Protect 7/3/1: Nuge, Leon, McD, Pulju, Yamo, Jujhar, Archibald, Nurse, Bear, Lagesson, Skinner.

Available (under contract): Neal, Kassian, K. Russell, Turris

RFA rights available: Benson, Marody, Kahun

Pending UFA's: Larsson, Nuge, Barrie, Ennis, Chiassion

I assume all of our pending UFA's either want to test free agency before deciding on a contract, or extend with us. Benson, Kahun and Marody's RFA rights are essentially worthless, they are basically UFA's as well. Last summer Buffalo didn't even match the Oilers 975k offer on Kahun, and he's been worse this year. My guess is one of the guys under contract gets taken, probably Turris? Maybe they work out a deal to take Neal because we have nothing good to give them

If Klefbom returns (which is unlikely because it sounds like he's getting a shoulder replacement from what I've heard), we should resign Nuge after expansion and this plan essentially stays the same with the exception that Kharia is made available. If he wants to stay an Oiler he just tells Seattle he won't sign there. His RFA rights aren't worth anything either. I assume he wants to stay an Oiler so it doesn't effect anything
newmy liked this.
Mar. 17, 2021 at 2:21 p.m.
I disagree about Hall and Hamilton not being what the Oilers need now. With McDavid and Draisaitl now well I to their careers and primes, the Oilers should be looking at “win now”, or “win within a year or two” type signings.

That said, I do agree that there are potentially other UFA LW’s this summer, Hamilton is without a doubt the top d-man. What I’m trying to get at with head moves is that the Oilers need to make top tier signings that help them win within the next few years; not things that buy them one more year, or building up prospects. By the time that strategy pays its benefits, the McDaddy and Drai will be nearing the end of their current contracts (a scary thought for Oilers Fans).

PS. Seth Jones has been quite literally awful over the last few years. His advanced stats are completely underwhelming and suggest he’s a top-6 (top-4 at the highest) d-man. Don’t get me wrong though, I’ve always thought he was good, but I don’t ever watch him play, and the advanced stats speak for themselves. I don’t think Edmonton should be taking bets anymore; rather, pursue a sure thing (i.e. Hamilton).

I don't think Hamilton is a sure thing and he's never been an elite defender, nor is he an elite puck mover. His calling card is offense but the Oilers have Barrie (who will be millions cheaper) and some young guys (Bear, Bouchard) who can fill in the offensive gaps. If they don't re-sign Larsson they'll need a guy who can defend at a high level, and Hamilton isn't that guy.

As I said, I have no problem with them signing Hamilton this summer, but not to a long-term deal. Hall too. He's fallen off a cliff the past couple of years, will be 30 next fall and you want to give him a $7M 5-year deal? That's not a smart move at all.
Mar. 17, 2021 at 2:23 p.m.
Here's how I'd do it

Assuming we: trade Jones, waive/trade Stalock, Klefbom is out for good or ruled ineligible for expansion: Protect 7/3/1: Nuge, Leon, McD, Pulju, Yamo, Jujhar, Archibald, Nurse, Bear, Lagesson, Skinner.

Available (under contract): Neal, Kassian, K. Russell, Turris

RFA rights available: Benson, Marody, Kahun

Pending UFA's: Larsson, Nuge, Barrie, Ennis, Chiassion

I assume all of our pending UFA's either want to test free agency before deciding on a contract, or extend with us. Benson, Kahun and Marody's RFA rights are essentially worthless, they are basically UFA's as well. Last summer Buffalo didn't even match the Oilers 975k offer on Kahun, and he's been worse this year. My guess is one of the guys under contract gets taken, probably Turris? Maybe they work out a deal to take Neal because we have nothing good to give them

If Klefbom returns (which is unlikely because it sounds like he's getting a shoulder replacement from what I've heard), we should resign Nuge after expansion and this plan essentially stays the same with the exception that Kharia is made available. If he wants to stay an Oiler he just tells Seattle he won't sign there. His RFA rights aren't worth anything either. I assume he wants to stay an Oiler so it doesn't effect anything

You have Nuge on the Protected list. Why do that if you're under the assumption that he's going to test free agency?
Mar. 17, 2021 at 2:27 p.m.
You have Nuge on the Protected list. Why do that if you're under the assumption that he's going to test free agency?

I meant to say we extend Nuge my bad forgot to put that in there. Guys that we clearly have no interest in resigning have no reason to accept Seattle's offer immediately, it's in their best interest to see what they can get paid in free agency
CD282 and newmy liked this.
Mar. 17, 2021 at 2:56 p.m.
I don't think Hamilton is a sure thing and he's never been an elite defender, nor is he an elite puck mover. His calling card is offense but the Oilers have Barrie (who will be millions cheaper) and some young guys (Bear, Bouchard) who can fill in the offensive gaps. If they don't re-sign Larsson they'll need a guy who can defend at a high level, and Hamilton isn't that guy.

As I said, I have no problem with them signing Hamilton this summer, but not to a long-term deal. Hall too. He's fallen off a cliff the past couple of years, will be 30 next fall and you want to give him a $7M 5-year deal? That's not a smart move at all.

Hamilton not elite? My man, you need to look into some advanced stats on all of these players before making claims like that. Hamilton is ,quite literally, one of the best defensmen in the league. He is, literally, elite ad defending and moving the puck. He will, at least, command a similar contract to Pietrangelo.

With regards to Hall, I’ve already agreed numerous times that there are other options available for lesser $$ and term.
Mar. 17, 2021 at 3:07 p.m.
Hamilton not elite? My man, you need to look into some advanced stats on all of these players before making claims like that. Hamilton is ,quite literally, one of the best defensmen in the league. He is, literally, elite ad defending and moving the puck. He will, at least, command a similar contract to Pietrangelo.

With regards to Hall, I’ve already agreed numerous times that there are other options available for lesser $$ and term.

The more I consider it, the more I think Hamilton makes sense. We have a surprising amount of cap space. PP1 could be: Hamilton, Bouch, Drai, McD, (Pulju/Yamo/Nuge). Might not be a realistic signing, but could work potentially. Might need to dump Neal in his final year to ensure we have cap to resign Bear, Nurse, Pulju. It definitely cuts things pretty close, doubt we take the gamble anyways
newmy liked this.
Mar. 17, 2021 at 3:17 p.m.

Dougie Hamilton is not an elite defender, he's an offensive defenseman. His on-ice stats look good because he's almost always paired with an elite defender:

2018-19 + 2019-20 + 2020-21: with Slavin 79% of his 5v5 TOI
2015-16 + 2016-17 + 2017-18: with Giordano 61% of his 5v5 TOI
2012-13 + 2013-14 + 2014-15: with Chara 66% of his 5v5 TOI

He's not worth what Pietrangelo got last summer. If he gets that contract, I sure hope it isn't from Ken Holland.

An "elite defender" would get more PK time and better results than this: http://naturalstattrick.com/playerteams.php?fromseason=20182019&thruseason=20202021&stype=2&sit=pk&score=all&stdoi=oi&rate=y&team=CAR&pos=D&loc=B&toi=0&gpfilt=none&fd=&td=&tgp=410&lines=single&draftteam=ALL
Mar. 17, 2021 at 3:24 p.m.
Puck you, puck ur wi
The more I consider it, the more I think Hamilton makes sense. We have a surprising amount of cap space. PP1 could be: Hamilton, Bouch, Drai, McD, (Pulju/Yamo/Nuge). Might not be a realistic signing, but could work potentially. Might need to dump Neal in his final year to ensure we have cap to resign Bear, Nurse, Pulju. It definitely cuts things pretty close, doubt we take the gamble anyways

The team already has limited cap space and the cap isnt growing in 22-23. How do we resign these guys? It's not cutting it close... Oilers have no cap space in 22-23 in this scenario

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll