Forums/Armchair-GM

The NJD forward problem

Created by: MartysBetter29
Team: 2020-21 New Jersey Devils
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 8, 2021
Published: Apr. 8, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The Devils have done a pretty decent job acquiring assets in recent years and have had some lottery luck to aid the rebuild. But the on-ice results have been extremely poor and there seems to be a lack of top tier talent beyond the two #1OAs. I projected our young guys into 4 classes, legitimate NHL top 6, hopeful/fringe NHL top 6, legitimate bottom 6 and unlikely NHLer. By legitimate I am talking about can they adequately fill that role on a competitive playoff team in the future.

LW: legit top 6
C: hopeful/fringe top 6
RW: legit bottom 6
LD: unlikely legit NHLer

Basically what I found (as expected) is that there are a TON of bottom 6 worthy young players. I could be overvaluing some guys but I really don't look at any of them as unlikely to play legit bottom 6 minutes in the NHL at some point whether it's with NJ or somewhere else.

But as you go further left the bar gets smaller and smaller. I don't know if you can project any players or prospects comfortably as top 6 players after Hughes and Hischier. There are a few hopeful top 6 guys with Holtz probably closest to breaking the threshold as a legit top 6 but overall slim pickings.

Unfortunately the NHL isn't built to be kind to teams with weak top 6's and good but young bottom 6's. In fact it's pretty much the exact opposite. Get elite, fast, young players in the top 6 and fill out the bottom 6 with experienced vets.

I'm not proposing NJ go out and sign a bunch of 35 year old grinders to play bottom 6. I'm more interested in the idea of how you move some of those pieces on the right to get a significant piece or two to put into the left or center column. I don't have any great ideas because Im an internet dummy but I'd hope Devils management are open to finding creative solutions to turn an abundance of average young talent into a couple of premiere talents. Easier said than done.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$925,000
3$925,000
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Recapture Fees
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
28$81,500,000$68,124,387$0$4,205,000$13,375,613
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
C
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
RFA
$2,250,000$2,250,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$7,250,000$7,250,000
C
UFA - 7
$925,000$925,000
RW, C
RFA - 4
$775,833$775,833 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$811,666$811,666 (Performance Bonus$32,500$32K)
LW, C
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167
LW
RFA - 4
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
C
RFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LW
UFA - 2
$809,167$809,167 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
C, LW
UFA - 2
$912,500$912,500 (Performance Bonus$25,000$25K)
RW
RFA - 2
$874,125$874,125
RW, C
UFA - 1
$714,166$714,166 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
C
RFA
$925,000$925,000
C, LW
RFA - 2
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$9,000,000$9,000,000
RD
UFA - 2
$2,800,000$2,800,000
G
UFA - 3
$2,822,764$2,822,764
LD
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,150,000$1,150,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
G
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
LD/RD
RFA - 3
$4,600,000$4,600,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,166,666$4,166,666
RD
UFA - 3
Taxi Squad
$1,000,000$1,000,000 ($0$0$0$0)
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$795,000$795,000 ($0$0$0$0)
LD
RFA - 4
$700,000$700,000 ($0$0$0$0)
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 8, 2021 at 8:00 a.m.
CHI NYI
As you get closer to being truly competitive again, spending on talent in free agency or through trades starts to make more sense. So perhaps in the near future, someone will become available via one of those methods and the Devils can use their surplus of assets to pounce on the opportunity.

This year, NJ will probably pick no later than 7th, so they’ll get another opportunity to take a potential top-6 forward, adding to that collection of four you currently have. So then let’s say you hit on 3 out of those 5. Ultimately that’s not so bad. Add a bigger name down the line or be surprised by one of the guys who you’re projecting to be bottom 6 now and you have a pretty good group for the top 6.

I definitely see your concern; beyond Hischier and Hughes, there’s very little wow-factor to this team’s future, but you know better than I do that they aren’t fine building. Will be interesting to see where they go next and what moves they make when they start getting a lot closer
cperk92, zyyyp and MartysBetter29 liked this.
Apr. 8, 2021 at 10:37 a.m.
HUGHES and HISCHIER - 1C and 2C
BRATT, HOLTZ, MERCER - top-6 wings
SHARANGOVICH, ZACHA - possible top-6 wings or 3C
FOOTE - probably 3rd liner who plays PP1
KUOKKANEN, THOMPSON, GRITSYUK, PASIC - skilled wingers who could reach top-6 ceiling
BASTIAN, WOOD, MCLEOD, MALTSEV, PYTLIK - some heavies for bottom-6
TALVITIE, MOYNIHAN - smart, two-way forwards that could find roles in bottom-6
CLARKE - Right-shot sniper with considerably high ceiling. But always hurt.
BOQVIST - Too much speed and skill for his production. Still has middle-six upside, but I think will need change of scenery.

Add in a 2021 draft that could such combos as

Edvinsson (6), Lucius (24)...or...
Guenther (6), Lambos (24)...or...
Lysell (6), Sillinger (24)...

We'll be good.
Defense is bigger concern for me.
MartysBetter29 liked this.
Apr. 8, 2021 at 5:24 p.m.
MartysBetter
Quoting: ForsbergForVezina
As you get closer to being truly competitive again, spending on talent in free agency or through trades starts to make more sense. So perhaps in the near future, someone will become available via one of those methods and the Devils can use their surplus of assets to pounce on the opportunity.

This year, NJ will probably pick no later than 7th, so they’ll get another opportunity to take a potential top-6 forward, adding to that collection of four you currently have. So then let’s say you hit on 3 out of those 5. Ultimately that’s not so bad. Add a bigger name down the line or be surprised by one of the guys who you’re projecting to be bottom 6 now and you have a pretty good group for the top 6.

I definitely see your concern; beyond Hischier and Hughes, there’s very little wow-factor to this team’s future, but you know better than I do that they aren’t fine building. Will be interesting to see where they go next and what moves they make when they start getting a lot closer

Agreed on all points.
Apr. 8, 2021 at 5:36 p.m.
MartysBetter
Quoting: NHLfan10506
HUGHES and HISCHIER - 1C and 2C
BRATT, HOLTZ, MERCER - top-6 wings
SHARANGOVICH, ZACHA - possible top-6 wings or 3C
FOOTE - probably 3rd liner who plays PP1
KUOKKANEN, THOMPSON, GRITSYUK, PASIC - skilled wingers who could reach top-6 ceiling
BASTIAN, WOOD, MCLEOD, MALTSEV, PYTLIK - some heavies for bottom-6
TALVITIE, MOYNIHAN - smart, two-way forwards that could find roles in bottom-6
CLARKE - Right-shot sniper with considerably high ceiling. But always hurt.
BOQVIST - Too much speed and skill for his production. Still has middle-six upside, but I think will need change of scenery.

Add in a 2021 draft that could such combos as

Edvinsson (6), Lucius (24)...or...
Guenther (6), Lambos (24)...or...
Lysell (6), Sillinger (24)...

We'll be good.
Defense is bigger concern for me.

Yeah I agree, I'm not overly concerned about the forward group more just interested in where we are at right now. Having a ton of young middle/bottom 6 players isn't a bad thing. I would muchhhh rather be where they are now than back a few years ago where the forward group rounded out with guys like Michael Ryder, P.A. Parenteau, Tyler Kennedy, and Tuomo Ruutu. The only problem/area to address that I see coming is there are only 12 forward roster spots. Even if things work out and our top 6 includes Hischier, Hughes, Holtz, Mercer, and Bratt that still leaves the rest competing for 6 slots, and that's assuming they don't add a single vet. So who sits if you can only pick 6?
- Zacha
- Sharangovich
- Foote
- Kuokkanen
- Wood
- McLeod
- Bastian
- Thompson
- Clarke
- Maltsev
- Talvitie
- Boqvist
- etc, etc.

I think you are having to leave a couple of guys off the roster that you would like to give a shot. Which isn't a bad thing necessarily, just shows how improved the depth is from years past. But I am curious if they can find ways to move some of those pieces to try to add higher skill or address other areas of need like D which I agree with you completely is a much greater concern at the moment.
Apr. 8, 2021 at 5:58 p.m.
Quoting: ForsbergForVezina
beyond Hischier and Hughes, there’s very little wow-factor to this team’s future, but you know better than I do that they aren’t fine building.

They have the youngest team in NHL (average under 25 years old)
The 3rd smallest team.
And a team with an average of 4.6 years of NHL experience, lowest of any team in years.
They have $36 million in current cap space.
With patient ownership.
And one of the best pipelines in all of hockey.
What do you suggest they do? Blow it up before half their kids arrive?

The forward group doesn't worry me in the slightest. They are very young, very small and inexperienced.
The defense is where they should focus.
Smith, Severson look great.
And I'd hope we'd get 2 good ones from Bahl, Walsh, Mukhammadullin, Okhotyuk, Misyul, McCarthy, Vukojovich, Edwards.
Maybe can draft one stud this year acquire another young defensive d-man later.

Future is really, really bright.
They are fine building.
Apr. 8, 2021 at 6:14 p.m.
Quoting: MartysBetter29
Yeah I agree, I'm not overly concerned about the forward group more just interested in where we are at right now. Having a ton of young middle/bottom 6 players isn't a bad thing. I would muchhhh rather be where they are now than back a few years ago where the forward group rounded out with guys like Michael Ryder, P.A. Parenteau, Tyler Kennedy, and Tuomo Ruutu. The only problem/area to address that I see coming is there are only 12 forward roster spots. Even if things work out and our top 6 includes Hischier, Hughes, Holtz, Mercer, and Bratt that still leaves the rest competing for 6 slots, and that's assuming they don't add a single vet. So who sits if you can only pick 6?
- Zacha
- Sharangovich
- Foote
- Kuokkanen
- Wood
- McLeod
- Bastian
- Thompson
- Clarke
- Maltsev
- Talvitie
- Boqvist
- etc, etc.

I think you are having to leave a couple of guys off the roster that you would like to give a shot. Which isn't a bad thing necessarily, just shows how improved the depth is from years past. But I am curious if they can find ways to move some of those pieces to try to add higher skill or address other areas of need like D which I agree with you completely is a much greater concern at the moment.

I'm guessing the lineup in a few years, among existing options, would look like this

1st: Zacha - Hischier - Bratt
2nd: Kuokkanen - Hughes - Holtz
3rd: Foote - Sharangovich - Mercer
4th: Wood, McLeod, Bastian
extra: Gritsyuk, Thompson, Pasic, Clarke, Maltsev, Pytlik

If Thompson, Gritsyuk or Clarke (or even Boqvist) reach their offensive potential, could also look like this:

1st: Zacha - Hischier - Holtz
2nd: Bratt - Hughes - [Thompson, Gritsyuk, Clarke]
4th: Kuokkanen, McLeod, Bastian
extra: Wood, Pasic, Maltsev, Pytlik [Thompson, Gritsyuk, Clarke]

Say Sharangovich continues to grow into shooter...Gritsyuk arrives, and they trade Wood for d-man, lose Bastian to Seattle....

1st: Sharangovich - Hischier - Mercer
2nd: Bratt - Hughes - Holtz
3rd: Foote - Zacha - Gritsyuk
4th: Maltsev - McLeod - Pytlik
extra: Maltsev, Pasic, Clarke, Thompson, Kuokkanen

Lots of options and depth at forward.
Apr. 8, 2021 at 6:29 p.m.
CHI NYI
They have the youngest team in NHL (average under 25 years old)
The 3rd smallest team.
And a team with an average of 4.6 years of NHL experience, lowest of any team in years.
They have $36 million in current cap space.
With patient ownership.
And one of the best pipelines in all of hockey.
What do you suggest they do? Blow it up before half their kids arrive?

The forward group doesn't worry me in the slightest. They are very young, very small and inexperienced.
The defense is where they should focus.
Smith, Severson look great.
And I'd hope we'd get 2 good ones from Bahl, Walsh, Mukhammadullin, Okhotyuk, Misyul, McCarthy, Vukojovich, Edwards.
Maybe can draft one stud this year acquire another young defensive d-man later.

Future is really, really bright.
They are fine building.

I apologize. I typed this out right after I woke up. Upon 2nd reading I meant "They aren't done building." My apologies lol
MartysBetter29 and NHLfan10506 liked this.
Apr. 8, 2021 at 6:38 p.m.
MartysBetter
I'm guessing the lineup in a few years, among existing options, would look like this

1st: Zacha - Hischier - Bratt
2nd: Kuokkanen - Hughes - Holtz
4th: Wood, McLeod, Bastian
extra: Gritsyuk, Thompson, Pasic, Clarke, Maltsev, Pytlik

If Thompson, Gritsyuk or Clarke (or even Boqvist) reach their offensive potential, could also look like this:

1st: Zacha - Hischier - Holtz
2nd: Bratt - Hughes - [Thompson, Gritsyuk, Clarke]
4th: Kuokkanen, McLeod, Bastian
extra: Wood, Pasic, Maltsev, Pytlik [Thompson, Gritsyuk, Clarke]

Say Sharangovich continues to grow into shooter...Gritsyuk arrives, and they trade Wood for d-man, lose Bastian to Seattle....

1st: Sharangovich - Hischier - Mercer
2nd: Bratt - Hughes - Holtz
3rd: Foote - Zacha - Gritsyuk
4th: Maltsev - McLeod - Pytlik
extra: Maltsev, Pasic, Clarke, Thompson, Kuokkanen

Lots of options and depth at forward.

Watch, after all of this time fans like us spend projecting and formulating lineups they will pull some crazy stuff out of left field and end up with a completely different looking lineup. Always seems to go that way haha. I'm definitely optimistic about the future!!
Apr. 8, 2021 at 7:09 p.m.
Quoting: MartysBetter29
Watch, after all of this time fans like us spend projecting and formulating lineups they will pull some crazy stuff out of left field and end up with a completely different looking lineup. Always seems to go that way haha. I'm definitely optimistic about the future!!

2023 top-six
Lambert - Eichel - Kane
Hall - Henrique - Palmieri

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll