Something's that help us that Hextall won't (might not) do

Created by: jeplaza14
Team: 2016-17 Philadelphia Flyers
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 16, 2017
Published: Jan. 16, 2017
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The team needs a shot in the arm.

The trades for picks seem relatively decent based on prior returns over the years, plus these are players he should look to move.

As for the play for player deals, let's see, but I don't think some of these will be plausible
Trades
PHI
  1. Kapanen, Kasperi
  2. 2017 2nd round pick (SJS)
TOR
  1. Del Zotto, Michael ($1,875,000 retained)
  2. Raffl, Michael
PHI
  1. 2017 3rd round pick (CGY)
  2. 2018 2nd round pick (CGY)
CGY
  1. Streit, Mark ($2,000,000 retained)
PHI
  1. Dell, Aaron
  2. 2017 3rd round pick (SJS)
SJS
  1. Neuvirth, Michal ($625,000 retained)
ARI
  1. 2017 3rd round pick (SJS)
  2. 2017 3rd round pick (CGY)
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$73,000,000$59,206,358$0$1,350,000$13,793,642
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$1,891,250$1,891,250
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$4,137,500$4,137,500
RW, C
NMC
UFA - 6
$3,975,000$3,975,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$894,167$894,167
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$4,333,333$4,333,333
C
UFA - 6
$8,250,000$8,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 8
$779,617$779,617
LW
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 1
$2,350,000$2,350,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$712,500$712,500
C, LW
UFA - 1
$712,500$712,500
C, LW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
C, LW
RFA - 1
$840,000$840,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LD
UFA - 3
$3,308,824$3,308,824
RD
UFA - 2
$4,100,000$4,100,000
G
UFA - 1
$2,345,000$2,345,000
RD
UFA - 4
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
LD, LW
UFA - 2
$975,000$975,000
LD
UFA - 2
$625,000$625,000
G
UFA - 2
$2,250,000$2,250,000
LD
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 16, 2017 at 5:38 p.m.
Leafs say no, no need for them to give up futures for positions that don't need fixing
Jan. 16, 2017 at 5:38 p.m.
Banned
Quit trading Schenn! And we don't need Dell, we have Stolarz, Lyon and Hart in the system.
Jan. 16, 2017 at 5:48 p.m.
Flyers! / LAK GM V2
Quoting: DirtyDangles
Quit trading Schenn! And we don't need Dell, we have Stolarz, Lyon and Hart in the system.

I won't quit trading Schenn because right now, him and Ghost are probably the only one's anyone would want and give us something back without completely blowing up the team (i.e. trading Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds, etc).

We would need Dell for a goalie to expose in the Expansion draft to protect Stolarz, then (if not claimed) would be the back-up next year to Stolarz for a year and be gone. Sometimes you have to think ahead too (sound familiar)
Jan. 16, 2017 at 5:49 p.m.
Flyers! / LAK GM V2
Quoting: BStone67
Leafs say no, no need for them to give up futures for positions that don't need fixing

I'm sure you'd be right if they weren't in the playoff hunt. And they, like everyone else, will jump to get extra bodies with experience for the right price. I'd call that a fair price.
Jan. 16, 2017 at 5:52 p.m.
Banned
We don't need to acquire a goalie to protect Stolarz. Just because Schenn is valuable doesn't mean you trade him. He is a bright spot on this roster, you don't trade that.
Jan. 16, 2017 at 5:57 p.m.
Flyers! / LAK GM V2
Yes we do you idiot!

We must expose 2F, 1D and 1G per the expansion rules. Since Mason and Neuvirth are both UFA's, unless we extend them (possible but I personally would not), we can't expose them. Lyon and Hart are exempt because they are both second year pros or less. Once he gets tendered a QO, that leaves Stolarz to expose, for now. Unless Hextall has a goalie that no one knows about that he can expose, Stolarz must be exposed to comply with the expansion rules or trade for one that he can expose to protect him. hence picking up Dell to expose him and protect Stolarz.

You get it now?
Jan. 16, 2017 at 6:01 p.m.
Flyers! / LAK GM V2
We don't need to acquire a goalie to protect Stolarz. Just because Schenn is valuable doesn't mean you trade him. He is a bright spot on this roster, you don't trade that.

Look man, this is all hypothetical anyway. I actually like Schenn. But like the rest of this team, he's too inconsistent on a night to night basis, and we need to start getting rid of that stuff if we want to improve. He'll still fetch a good haul for us, so even though I like him, I like other players and players we can get in return more.

Like i said in the description, none of the player for player one's are likely to happen.
Jan. 16, 2017 at 6:07 p.m.
Banned
Hakstol is a major issue. Maybe if he put Schenn with G and Voracek maybe they would be more consistent. Hakstol is a f**king idiot. And no thanks to Perrault in that deal. Need a young sniper if we are trading that package.
Jan. 16, 2017 at 6:12 p.m.
Flyers! / LAK GM V2
Hakstol is a major issue. Maybe if he put Schenn with G and Voracek maybe they would be more consistent. Hakstol is a f**king idiot. And no thanks to Perrault in that deal. Need a young sniper if we are trading that package.

Read the title man. That's all I can say. And the only way Hakstol goes is if Hextall goes with him.
Jan. 16, 2017 at 6:14 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: jeplaza14
Quoting: BStone67

I'm sure you'd be right if they weren't in the playoff hunt. And they, like everyone else, will jump to get extra bodies with experience for the right price. I'd call that a fair price.
Jan. 16, 2017 at 6:18 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: palhal

Leafs carry eight Dmen once Marincin comes back from injury so there is no room for DelZotto.. And Raffl...don't know if could get a job as Leaf forward. Why would Arizona trade on of their young cheap forwards just for picks?
Jan. 16, 2017 at 6:18 p.m.
cvaughan14
I feel like trading Raffl and Schenn is very misguided and would probably do a number on the team morale. Raffl has come into his own this year and will only get better (he's starting to show characteristics similar to Voracek) and Schenn is a great top 6 forward in an organization that has much better D and G assets as opposed to F assets. Trading Ghost? Now? Just because he is showing some of what has become a sophomore slump doesn't mean he's not a key piece to this rebuild. Although I understand the Aaron Dell reasoning, there are going to be other goalies that will be exposed that will be better than Stolarz (potentially Bishop) so I wouldn't make a drastic trade just to make sure he isn't taken by LV. Thoughts?
Jan. 16, 2017 at 6:22 p.m.
Banned
Ghost can't play D. Remember Mike Green and what he used to do? Ya his offence is nice but he is a liability in his own zone. If we had D men that could actually cover in our own zone, more offensive chances would happen. This team was one of the highest scoring teams in the league until this slump but they were also the worst defensive team. This team needs defenders not a guy like ghost.
Jan. 16, 2017 at 6:24 p.m.
cvaughan14
Ghost can't play D. Remember Mike Green and what he used to do? Ya his offence is nice but he is a liability in his own zone. If we had D men that could actually cover in our own zone, more offensive chances would happen. This team was one of the highest scoring teams in the league until this slump but they were also the worst defensive team. This team needs defenders not a guy like ghost.

Uh well we have many up and coming D men who are more defensively minded than Ghost, and he still has to learn to improve his D game in his own zone. I feel like you guys are very quick to give up on the kid. Were you thinking this last year when he was a Calder consideration?
CaptJosef liked this.
Jan. 16, 2017 at 6:27 p.m.
Flyers! / LAK GM V2
Quoting: cvaughan14
I feel like trading Raffl and Schenn is very misguided and would probably do a number on the team morale. Raffl has come into his own this year and will only get better (he's starting to show characteristics similar to Voracek) and Schenn is a great top 6 forward in an organization that has much better D and G assets as opposed to F assets. Trading Ghost? Now? Just because he is showing some of what has become a sophomore slump doesn't mean he's not a key piece to this rebuild. Although I understand the Aaron Dell reasoning, there are going to be other goalies that will be exposed that will be better than Stolarz (potentially Bishop) so I wouldn't make a drastic trade just to make sure he isn't taken by LV. Thoughts?

You're absolutely right. If you read the headline of this, I say that Hextall won't do it, just for the reasons you just mentioned. A move like that would either sink the team, or kick start them depending on who gets moved. I wouldn't move either of them to be honest, but you have to give something up to get what you want.

I would move Ghost just because he has good value in the league, plus Sanheim and Haag on the way (both are leagues better than him defensively and Sanheim is at least comparable offensively). Plus, like I said, trading on of your better players could light a fire under this team.

I agree there will be better goalies, but i'd bet money they only take one high priced goalie then go younger depending on who's exposed. I'd also argue that because of the depth we have (Hart, Lyon, Sandstrom, etc.) we maybe can afford to let Stolarz go.
cvaughan14 liked this.
Jan. 16, 2017 at 6:30 p.m.

Uh well we have many up and coming D men who are more defensively minded than Ghost, and he still has to learn to improve his D game in his own zone. I feel like you guys are very quick to give up on the kid. Were you thinking this last year when he was a Calder consideration?

This. We have 3 (at least) prospects who will see NHL time and likely careers who can play defence and that doesn't include Provorov. Ghost will be a 2nd line D playing the more sheltered role of the top two pairings and see plenty of PP time.

As for most of the trades here it's pie in the sky stuff. Kapanen is an A grade prospect, I don't think a pending UFA having a bad year they don't have a need for and a solid but unspectacular role player gets it done somehow.
jeplaza14 and cvaughan14 liked this.
Jan. 16, 2017 at 6:33 p.m.
Flyers! / LAK GM V2
Quoting: CaptJosef

This. We have 3 (at least) prospects who will see NHL time and likely careers who can play defence and that doesn't include Provorov. Ghost will be a 2nd line D playing the more sheltered role of the top two pairings and see plenty of PP time.

As for most of the trades here it's pie in the sky stuff. Kapanen is an A grade prospect, I don't think a pending UFA having a bad year they don't have a need for and a solid but unspectacular role player gets it done somehow.

That's what all of this basically is anyway. Pie in the sky stuff. Some people just take it too seriously
cvaughan14 liked this.
Jan. 16, 2017 at 6:39 p.m.
cvaughan14
Quoting: CaptJosef

That's what all of this basically is anyway. Pie in the sky stuff. Some people just take it too seriously

I mean I'm not taking it too seriously lol (if it was directed towards me). Did you make this up as a joke? Aren't you trying to make reasonable moves that might help our team? It's definitely interesting to see how you might make that happen, I just happen to disagree.
jeplaza14 liked this.
Jan. 16, 2017 at 6:49 p.m.
Flyers! / LAK GM V2

I mean I'm not taking it too seriously lol (if it was directed towards me). Did you make this up as a joke? Aren't you trying to make reasonable moves that might help our team? It's definitely interesting to see how you might make that happen, I just happen to disagree.

I apologize, that comment was not directed at you (really it was DirtyDangles, but whatever). I didn't make this up as a joke. I really believe these moves, especially the moves that get us picks for our UFA D-men, are reasonable and logical to make with the position we are in and the market. If you disagree, that's fine. I welcome it personally, just as long as there is more that just bantering (DirtyDangles) back and forth. If you had another thought, I'd be happy to hear it and take it under consideration. I honestly just want to get the D better, and in my opinion that involves getting a combination of MDZ, Streit, Schultz, Manning, AMac out and getting Sanheim, Morin, Myers, Hagg up here fast. but that's just me.
Jan. 16, 2017 at 6:58 p.m.
cvaughan14

I apologize, that comment was not directed at you (really it was DirtyDangles, but whatever). I didn't make this up as a joke. I really believe these moves, especially the moves that get us picks for our UFA D-men, are reasonable and logical to make with the position we are in and the market. If you disagree, that's fine. I welcome it personally, just as long as there is more that just bantering (DirtyDangles) back and forth. If you had another thought, I'd be happy to hear it and take it under consideration. I honestly just want to get the D better, and in my opinion that involves getting a combination of MDZ, Streit, Schultz, Manning, AMac out and getting Sanheim, Morin, Myers, Hagg up here fast. but that's just me.

Well let's focus on the Defense then. I feel like MDZ and Manning might be worth keeping around assuming Manning continues to have low cost contracts and I remember what MDZ looked like on a stacked back-end Rangers team. It was very impressive! I want those nice things. Streit will be gone by years end if not sooner because we ain't resigning him, but it we trade him before, we can actually get a decent return. Schultz- same sitch he's old and we're not resigning him. AMac will be here forever. FOREVER. THANKS HOMER... but I feel like he actually could give a just-good-enough veteran presence. I don't think that those four young D men on the Phantoms could ALL possibly make the team next year. Imagine having such little actual experience in the more risk-oriented zone of the ice. That said, I'm very very excited to see this D core in a few years, man! and let'd not forget about Ghost. I personally think trading him is a mistake, he will have better actual defenders to back him up as he focuses on offense from the blue line, while also gaining experience and technique to further improve his defensive skill.
Jan. 16, 2017 at 7:09 p.m.
Flyers! / LAK GM V2

Well let's focus on the Defense then. I feel like MDZ and Manning might be worth keeping around assuming Manning continues to have low cost contracts and I remember what MDZ looked like on a stacked back-end Rangers team. It was very impressive! I want those nice things. Streit will be gone by years end if not sooner because we ain't resigning him, but it we trade him before, we can actually get a decent return. Schultz- same sitch he's old and we're not resigning him. AMac will be here forever. FOREVER. THANKS HOMER... but I feel like he actually could give a just-good-enough veteran presence. I don't think that those four young D men on the Phantoms could ALL possibly make the team next year. Imagine having such little actual experience in the more risk-oriented zone of the ice. That said, I'm very very excited to see this D core in a few years, man! and let'd not forget about Ghost. I personally think trading him is a mistake, he will have better actual defenders to back him up as he focuses on offense from the blue line, while also gaining experience and technique to further improve his defensive skill.

I see you're arguemnt for MDZ and it makes sense. The problem is he's playing top-4 minutes. If you want the NYR version, he should be a 3rd pair guy and the amount we would have to pay him, i think, would be too much. I agree with you on the Ghost thing. While he would bring back the most return if traded, I think he's become an important part of the 1st PP. Personally, I think he can be a 3rd pair, PP guy and that would be fine. When I think of him, I think of a lefty Sami Vatanen in Anaheim.

I don't think all 4 of the kids will be here next year, however I can see two of them making it; although I do believe, eventually, one of them will be moved for a forward based on team needs (and shear number of kids and future deals. Here's the D i'm thinking of next year: Can see them adding a cheap UFA and move on from Manning or send AMac to LHV again

Provorov - Gudas
Morin - Sanheim
Manning - Ghost
MacDonald (Thanks HOMER....)
cvaughan14 liked this.
Jan. 16, 2017 at 7:16 p.m.
cvaughan14

I see you're arguemnt for MDZ and it makes sense. The problem is he's playing top-4 minutes. If you want the NYR version, he should be a 3rd pair guy and the amount we would have to pay him, i think, would be too much. I agree with you on the Ghost thing. While he would bring back the most return if traded, I think he's become an important part of the 1st PP. Personally, I think he can be a 3rd pair, PP guy and that would be fine. When I think of him, I think of a lefty Sami Vatanen in Anaheim.

I don't think all 4 of the kids will be here next year, however I can see two of them making it; although I do believe, eventually, one of them will be moved for a forward based on team needs (and shear number of kids and future deals. Here's the D i'm thinking of next year: Can see them adding a cheap UFA and move on from Manning or send AMac to LHV again

Provorov - Gudas
Morin - Sanheim
Manning - Ghost

Hmm the MDZ thing makes sense. If only he was a BIT younger, it might justify not paying him as much but oh well. I LOVE Stall Talk hahaha. Provy has proven to be the best D man on our team and for years to come no doubt. Gudas is a key piece to this defense and not only is he physical when we need him to be, but he is very defensively responsible. Top pairing? Questionable but with the other four you got there, it makes sense. I'm not sure about having two rookies on the same line, however. It COULD work for chemistry reasons, but Morin I feel should start his NHL career on the third line, but that's just an opinion. Sanheim is exciting but I see why he didn't make it through camp. BUT, he is tearing it up in LV so his spot on the team has been warranted for next year, I approve. The thing is this D core is still very young and I could see interruptions and hiccups in development from putting so many young guys together. That's a theory thing however, so who knows it could end up benefiting the young guys.
Jan. 16, 2017 at 7:24 p.m.
Flyers! / LAK GM V2

Provorov - Gudas
Morin - Sanheim
Manning - Ghost

Hmm the MDZ thing makes sense. If only he was a BIT younger, it might justify not paying him as much but oh well. I LOVE Stall Talk hahaha. Provy has proven to be the best D man on our team and for years to come no doubt. Gudas is a key piece to this defense and not only is he physical when we need him to be, but he is very defensively responsible. Top pairing? Questionable but with the other four you got there, it makes sense. I'm not sure about having two rookies on the same line, however. It COULD work for chemistry reasons, but Morin I feel should start his NHL career on the third line, but that's just an opinion. Sanheim is exciting but I see why he didn't make it through camp. BUT, he is tearing it up in LV so his spot on the team has been warranted for next year, I approve. The thing is this D core is still very young and I could see interruptions and hiccups in development from putting so many young guys together. That's a theory thing however, so who knows it could end up benefiting the young guys.

Morin and Sanheim are actually partners at LV, so I think that chemistry is helping them develop together. Plus you'd have enough vets around, even if MacDonald stays, they might want to do it. I can also see Haag making a push for the team. This defense is gonna be good for years to come once everyone gets sorted out. I think they need to add another righty along with Myers in the system through the draft.

The down side is that our forward group is getting older and their doesn't look to be much help on the way in terms of a can't miss guy (maybe Lindholm but he's a big unknown right now), unlike on D and in goal
cvaughan14 liked this.
Jan. 16, 2017 at 7:34 p.m.
cvaughan14

Morin and Sanheim are actually partners at LV, so I think that chemistry is helping them develop together. Plus you'd have enough vets around, even if MacDonald stays, they might want to do it. I can also see Haag making a push for the team. This defense is gonna be good for years to come once everyone gets sorted out. I think they need to add another righty along with Myers in the system through the draft.

The down side is that our forward group is getting older and their doesn't look to be much help on the way in terms of a can't miss guy (maybe Lindholm but he's a big unknown right now), unlike on D and in goal

Honestly, since we have so much depth in goalie, maybe trade one of the younger guys for a promising young F. Hart and Sandstrom killed it in the WJC so what if we could include a deal with one of them and an older depth F for Kapenen? We have G, V, and Simmer for years to come and our younger guys like Schenn, Coots, and Raffl have shown some real veteran knowledge and skill this year. I think these guys can be the future vets when the GVSIM line becomes old and past their prime. Basically every move Hextall has made since he has taken the position has impressed me (Pronger, Luke Schenn, RINALDO) so I could speculate all day but I trust he gets a decent F either before deadline, or for next season. With this defense, we're getting rid of contracts next year to make more cap room for that move. Streit's 5M and Schultz' 2.2M will create space when our young guys are still in entry level deals smile
jeplaza14 liked this.
Jan. 16, 2017 at 7:47 p.m.
I find it difficult to believe the Flyers can get a 2 for a mediocre 39 year old soon to be FA let alone a 2 & 3. I keep seeing Streit ridiculously over valued by Philly fans.
Arpon liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll