Forums/Armchair-GM

Offseason Plans

Created by: dboy81
Team: 2021-22 Vancouver Canucks
Initial Creation Date: May 12, 2021
Published: May 12, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I constructed this roster with the belief that both E. Pettersson and Q. Hughes will sign bridge deals. There are a couple trades that I made that may need some tweaking, but I figured that this wouldn't be too far off.

- With the rumblings off Buffalo dealing with disgruntled stars, I figured that Van might be able to pry the local product S. Reinhart out of Buffalo for a 1st, and a prospect. To make the deal work, Buffalo would need to take on the salary of 1 player, in this instance, it would be 1 year of A. Roussel @ 3 million. there may need to be a third team added to the deal to facilitate the money transfer, but I believe Buffalo can handle this.
If Van were to offer sheet S. Reinhart for this deal (6x6), Van would have to give up a 1st and a third, so K. Lind would be a ready made prospect that would be valued between a 2nd/3rd. on the surface this deal looks to be fair (from a Canucks fans view). S. Reinhart may be willing to take a bit of a discount to play for his hometown team, but overall this may be a bit of a pipedream, let me know what you think...

- The Seattle Kraken have their pick of the litter when it comes to picking young goalies in the expansion draft, and I feel like they could be swayed into picking Holtby as their back up goalie for 1 year with the Canucks giving up a pick. In this instance I decided that cap space is king, and that Vancouver would have to give up, at the very least, a 2nd round pick. This saves Vancouver money this season to bring in some help either at 3C or LD.

- Vancouver signs a UFA 3C, this could be anyone under 3 million/year, and in this scenario we take a shot at E. Haula. The length of deal may be too long, but I feel like If Benning is still running the ship, then a three year deal is kind of his M.O. (modus operandi) for bottom six guys. Then again, if Benning is running the ship this offseason, I don't see any of this happening...

- Finally, Vancouver offers A. Edler his final 1 year deal to finish off his career as a Canuck. The Canucks aren't going for it next year, but they will be better then they were this year. Another year as a bubble team works for this Edler deal, it serves the purpose of giving Edler (the all-time best Canucks defenceman) a token year to finish off his career as a Vancouver Canuck, and filling a hole that will be given to the kids as the year progresses.

- Vancouver's top 10 pick in the draft will help with the future plans to turn this club into a contender, Ideally they are able to pick a top pairing defenceman (Power, Clarke, Edvinsson, Hughes) to turn their defence around when they're ready to compete (1-2 years away).

Feel free to comment on the team below and let me know how far off I really am lol Again, I'm a Vancouver based Canucks fan so my views are probably off on opposing team needs and wants. #GoCanucksGO
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$925,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$6,500,000
2$7,500,000
2$875,000
2$875,000
6$6,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$2,250,000
2$2,250,000
2$825,000
1$3,000,000
Trades
VAN
  1. Reinhart, Sam [RFA Rights]
BUF
  1. Lind, Kole
  2. Roussel, Antoine
  3. 2022 1st round pick (VAN)
Additional Details:
1st round pick is lottery protected
VAN
SEA
  1. Holtby, Braden
  2. 2023 2nd round pick (VAN)
Additional Details:
SEA takes Holtby in the expansion draft
VAN gives up a 2nd to take on Holtby for 1 year
Buyouts
Recapture Fees
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$80,312,326$648,780$1,082,500$1,187,674

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$7,500,000$7,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 3
$5,875,000$5,875,000
RW
UFA - 1
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW
NTC
UFA - 3
$4,125,000$4,125,000
C
UFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW
UFA - 3
$891,667$891,667 (Performance Bonus$200,000$200K)
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$2,250,000$2,250,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
RFA - 3
$725,000$725,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$825,000$825,000
C
UFA
$1,225,000$1,225,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,500,000$6,500,000
LD
UFA - 6
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RD
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
UFA - 5
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$5,950,000$5,950,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$811,667$811,667 (Performance Bonus$32,500$32K)
G
RFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LD
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$875,000$875,000
LD
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$725,000$725,000
RD
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$825,000$825,000
RW, C
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 12, 2021 at 1:53 p.m.
GO FLAMES GO
There is a Seattle option for expansion
dboy81 liked this.
May 12, 2021 at 1:57 p.m.
That offer for Reinhart will definitely be beat
May 12, 2021 at 2:04 p.m.
Quoting: Gmonwy
There is a Seattle option for expansion

Thank you, I didn't realize that was there 👍
May 12, 2021 at 2:05 p.m.
Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
That offer for Reinhart will definitely be beat

I figured as much, but what would VAN need to add? another pick? another prospect?
May 12, 2021 at 2:14 p.m.
Quoting: dboy81
I figured as much, but what would VAN need to add? another pick? another prospect?

I wouldn't be so sure. It might be closer than most people think. Whoever trades for Reinhart better be damn sure they can resign him long term. Maybe make the 2022 first a 2021. Maybe a better prospect. But probably close.
dboy81 liked this.
May 12, 2021 at 2:17 p.m.
Quoting: GoodIdeaAtTheTime
I wouldn't be so sure. It might be closer than most people think. Whoever trades for Reinhart better be damn sure they can resign him long term. Maybe make the 2022 first a 2021. Maybe a better prospect. But probably close.

Its close, I don't think they would go for lottery protected tho. Maybe top 3 or top 5. Maybe add a 3rd rounder too cause of the cap dump
dboy81 and GoodIdeaAtTheTime liked this.
May 12, 2021 at 2:19 p.m.

I think using the 2021 first which will be a high pick would be the best way to get Reinhart. I would try to keep Lind as well. Maybe use Gadjovich instead with the 2021 1st.

Would love the Canucks to get Reinhart though. I think that makes our forwards a playoff quality group with 3 strong lines.
dboy81 liked this.
May 12, 2021 at 2:24 p.m.

Better prospect, you are probably looking at something like what Jordan Staal got when Pittsburgh traded him
May 12, 2021 at 2:26 p.m.
AN "ORIGINAL SIX"
I like Edler, but he is done.
May 12, 2021 at 2:41 p.m.
Vancouver cant afford a pick with Holtby
or a Pick for Reinhart
or Reinharts $6m even thou his points per game is indictiive $8M plus

Vancouver isnt going for the play the kids, like OJ. Resigning Edler forces OJ or Rathbone to sit. LHD is QH, OJ, JR.

Miller is vocal on wanting to play centre, days on EP is numbered. Vancouvers 3 centers will be EP-Miller-Horvat.

Beagle is skating again and Ferland hasnt medically retired, so he could come back.

Based on Goalies avaible via UFA and at least half dozen better options in expansion, Seattle doesnt wat Holtby
May 12, 2021 at 4:09 p.m.
see below
May 12, 2021 at 4:11 p.m.
Quoting: yztnuK
Vancouver cant afford a pick with Holtby
or a Pick for Reinhart
or Reinharts $6m even thou his points per game is indictiive $8M plus

Vancouver isnt going for the play the kids, like OJ. Resigning Edler forces OJ or Rathbone to sit. LHD is QH, OJ, JR.

Miller is vocal on wanting to play centre, days on EP is numbered. Vancouvers 3 centers will be EP-Miller-Horvat.

Beagle is skating again and Ferland hasnt medically retired, so he could come back.

Based on Goalies avaible via UFA and at least half dozen better options in expansion, Seattle doesnt wat Holtby

What other choice do they have? How are they going to get better? Draft someone in the second round and hope they pan out? NHL teams have a 25% chance of drafting an NHL quality player in the second round, why can't you afford to give up a second to ensure you have cap space to acquire a player like Reinhart, or sign a UFA C or LD. The current state of the Canucks isn't going to get it done, so something has to give.
Reinhart could make more money on a deal with Buffalo, but they haven't felt the need to give it to him yet, what makes you think he will get more? It's hard to find a comparable, but i don't see a situation where a player that has averaged .75 points a game over the last 3 seasons is worth more then 6-7 million/year in a flat cap world.

Miller might want to play center but he is better utilized as a winger, especially when Petey is in the line-up.

The LTIR situation is fluid, this may all be for nothing if Beagle returns. I don't see a situation where Vancouver will re-instate Ferland, he is better off stepping away from the game to ensure he can live a somewhat healthy life with his young family.

Agreed, there will be other goalie options, that's why i proposed a second rounder as the price to take on Holtby...
May 12, 2021 at 9:31 p.m.
What other choice do they have? How are they going to get better? Draft someone in the second round and hope they pan out? NHL teams have a 25% chance of drafting an NHL quality player in the second round, why can't you afford to give up a second to ensure you have cap space to acquire a player like Reinhart, or sign a UFA C or LD. The current state of the Canucks isn't going to get it done, so something has to give.
Reinhart could make more money on a deal with Buffalo, but they haven't felt the need to give it to him yet, what makes you think he will get more? It's hard to find a comparable, but i don't see a situation where a player that has averaged .75 points a game over the last 3 seasons is worth more then 6-7 million/year in a flat cap world.

Miller might want to play center but he is better utilized as a winger, especially when Petey is in the line-up.

The LTIR situation is fluid, this may all be for nothing if Beagle returns. I don't see a situation where Vancouver will re-instate Ferland, he is better off stepping away from the game to ensure he can live a somewhat healthy life with his young family.

Agreed, there will be other goalie options, that's why i proposed a second rounder as the price to take on Holtby...

Demko and Hoglander were 2nd rounders for starters and those 2 are the ones I can think off the top of my head.

For Vancouver to win they need 3 lines that score and are a threat. Days of having 2 scoring lines, shutdown line and grinding line are long gone.
EP Boeser have chemistry
Miller Hoglander have chemistry
Horvat Pearson have chemistry
Fill out their wings.

Vancouver has no choice in the matter of ferland. If the team doctor or any doctor clears him, his cap hit is back on the books.

Throwing away 1st and 2nds since Benning has taken over is 1 part of 2 parts why this team is not competitive right now and won’t be for a few years.

Reinhart will get over $6m and if Vancover pays that, then Are back to cap hell. Boeser next year, Horvat next, then Miller hoglander, Hughes, EP and Podkolzin all in consecutive years.
May 13, 2021 at 1:22 p.m.
Quoting: yztnuK
Demko and Hoglander were 2nd rounders for starters and those 2 are the ones I can think off the top of my head.

For Vancouver to win they need 3 lines that score and are a threat. Days of having 2 scoring lines, shutdown line and grinding line are long gone.
EP Boeser have chemistry
Miller Hoglander have chemistry
Horvat Pearson have chemistry
Fill out their wings.

Vancouver has no choice in the matter of ferland. If the team doctor or any doctor clears him, his cap hit is back on the books.

Throwing away 1st and 2nds since Benning has taken over is 1 part of 2 parts why this team is not competitive right now and won’t be for a few years.

Reinhart will get over $6m and if Vancover pays that, then Are back to cap hell. Boeser next year, Horvat next, then Miller hoglander, Hughes, EP and Podkolzin all in consecutive years.

That's my point exactly, we have hit on two second rounders, that's great, we were due lol from 2002-2014 we've had 8 second round picks, and only two of them played more then 3 games (M. Raymond 2005 & 2014 T. Demko) That's exactly 25% of success drafting in the second, and that's the NHL average. sometimes you hit, but most of the time you don't...

The way I laid out the lines was effectively 3 lines deep
Miller Petey Boeser
Pearson Horvat Reinhart
Hogz Haula Podkolzin

That to me seems like a good top three lines that could develop well over the next year and take that next step.

Vancouver has no choice? Do you remember what happened to Manny Malhotra? Vancouver shut him down because of his eye injury, they had a say in his future as a Canucks, yet he went on to play a few more seasons. Vancouver can ensure that Ferland doesn't play another game for the Vancouver Canucks if they want to.

I'm not here to back up what Benning has done in the past, I don't agree with everything he has done as a GM, hence why I noted this in the description "Then again, if Benning is running the ship this offseason, I don't see any of this happening..."

The good teams always have cap issues, The Canucks can navigate through it as the years go on, take it one year at a time and deal with it when you need to.
Next year Loui and Luongo's recapture come off the books, that's more than enough to resign Boeser. Then when Bo and Miller are up you evaluate the team and make adjustments as you go. Look at Tampa, every year we all say the same thing, how are they going to afford everyone? They make changes and adapt. They traded Miller to clear cap space and acquired a 1st rounder in return, then traded it for a low cost effective forward that helped win them the Stanley Cup.

Sometimes you need to swing for the fences to take the next step, and in this instance I think swinging to get another top scoring winger/center is worth taking a longer look at.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll