Forums/Armchair-GM

Revisiting the Hertl and Simek Deal

Created by: Masonh618
Team: 2021-22 New York Rangers
Initial Creation Date: May 16, 2021
Published: May 16, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I spoke with some San Jose Sharks fans the other day and I want to hear your thoughts on this trade.

The original consensus deal I made with a couple of you guys was Nils Lundkvist, Alexandar Georgiev, and a 1st for the same Sharks. Here, I’ve swapped Lundkvist with Filip Chytil and Zac Jones. This is a scenario where I think one can bypass the “quality over quantity” philosophy, as long as the two players still have A grade ceilings (as opposed to an A+ which Nils arguably has). Doing this creates a bigger basis for the Sharks to proceed on their (potential) rebuild while holding on to strong quality. I’m also not trying to tell you Lundkvist is untouchable, but it’s just that adding Tomas Hertl gives the Rangers 10 top-9 forwards, and for roster balance, sending a guy like Chytil back to the Sharks prevents someone getting marooned to New York’s 4th line when they shouldn’t be there.

In the end, I think this trade allows both teams to benefit more than originally.
Trades
SJS
  1. Chytil, Filip [RFA Rights]
  2. Georgiev, Alexandar
  3. Jones, Zachary
  4. 2021 1st round pick (NYR)
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
17$81,500,000$58,574,801$0$7,550,000$22,925,199
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the New York Rangers
$11,642,857$11,642,857
LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$5,350,000$5,350,000
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,650,000$3M)
RW
RFA - 1
$6,500,000$6,500,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$725,000$725,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 1
Logo of the San Jose Sharks
$5,625,000$5,625,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$350,000$350K)
LD
RFA - 2
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LD
RFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
UFA - 1
$825,000$825,000
G
UFA - 1
$737,500$737,500
LD
UFA - 1
Logo of the San Jose Sharks
$2,250,000$2,250,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
Taxi Squad
$1,000,000$1,000,000 ($0$0$0$0)
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 16, 2021 at 7:08 p.m.
Sens Sicko from '06
I don't really have a problem with it, although as high as I am on Chytil I think Rangers fans are too high on him. Not sure the Sharks are getting an equitable piece here, but rather three B pieces which isn't what you want when you trade your 1C
May 16, 2021 at 7:22 p.m.
Jaromir_Jagr_the_leg
Quoting: ChrisPy97
I don't really have a problem with it, although as high as I am on Chytil I think Rangers fans are too high on him. Not sure the Sharks are getting an equitable piece here, but rather three B pieces which isn't what you want when you trade your 1C

He’s a good 2C not a true 1C tho, you likely don’t even get that much and we would only want Hertl not the other pieces
May 16, 2021 at 7:35 p.m.
Pop Pop
So I'm a vacuum I dont hate the deal but you're going into the offseason with all 3 of your centers as ufas and youd still have to sign fox first.
May 16, 2021 at 8:13 p.m.
Quoting: Jfstompers
So I'm a vacuum I dont hate the deal but you're going into the offseason with all 3 of your centers as ufas and youd still have to sign fox first.

$45 mil in cap.
Masonh618 liked this.
May 16, 2021 at 8:20 p.m.
What in tarnation
With all due respect, imo A+ ceiling would define an elite asset, meaning top line player or top pair D-man. I don't think anyone aside from Lafreniere fits that bill. Lundkvist could in theory be an A level prospect, but Chytil and Jones are more B tier respectively.

I don't think SJ is taking that, although it isn't that bad offer. Just feel like this could get outbid.
Masonh618 and ASharksFan liked this.
May 16, 2021 at 8:39 p.m.
MGITBPITNHL
Quoting: justaBoss
With all due respect, imo A+ ceiling would define an elite asset, meaning top line player or top pair D-man. I don't think anyone aside from Lafreniere fits that bill. Lundkvist could in theory be an A level prospect, but Chytil and Jones are more B tier respectively.

I don't think SJ is taking that, although it isn't that bad offer. Just feel like this could get outbid.

Ultimately, the point is Lundkvist is a tier ahead of them. You can use whichever letters you want.

Which other teams are interested in Hertl? I haven’t paid much attention on this site outside of Rangers stuff, lol
May 16, 2021 at 8:41 p.m.
MGITBPITNHL
Quoting: ChrisPy97

If Hertl was under contract with San Jose for long term then I’d definitely agree a guy like Lundkvist is necessary. But he’s a year away from free agency. And most Sharks fans I’ve spoken to were content with Chytil + 1st for Hertl alone
May 16, 2021 at 8:45 p.m.
Kravtsov_Stan
I like Hertl but that's a lot to pay for a guy going to UFA in a year
May 16, 2021 at 8:54 p.m.
MGITBPITNHL
Quoting: Kravtsov_Stan
I like Hertl but that's a lot to pay for a guy going to UFA in a year

But if signs an extension after this trade it’s worth it.
May 16, 2021 at 9:01 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: mhroblak
Ultimately, the point is Lundkvist is a tier ahead of them. You can use whichever letters you want.

Which other teams are interested in Hertl? I haven’t paid much attention on this site outside of Rangers stuff, lol

Well there's many teams who could have use for centers. Just imagine for instance how destructive COL would be if they brought Hertl as their 2C.

BOS could in theory replace Krejci with Hertl after this year as well. Teams like CBJ, VGK, MIN, MTL, NSH, CHI and CGY also very well have use for a top-6 C in certain circumstances, if various players leave as UFA or don't return due to injury.
ASharksFan liked this.
May 16, 2021 at 9:39 p.m.
MGITBPITNHL
Well there's many teams who could have use for centers. Just imagine for instance how destructive COL would be if they brought Hertl as their 2C.

BOS could in theory replace Krejci with Hertl after this year as well. Teams like CBJ, VGK, MIN, MTL, NSH, CHI and CGY also very well have use for a top-6 C in certain circumstances, if various players leave as UFA or don't return due to injury.

I guess in theory it’s wide open, but I don’t know any teams who are legitimately looking for a piece like Hertl outside of NYR, and all of the recent ACGMs involving the Sharks seemed to reflect that.

Assuming this offer gets outbid, how much more do you think the Rangers have to add?
May 16, 2021 at 10:05 p.m.
What in tarnation
I guess in theory it’s wide open, but I don’t know any teams who are legitimately looking for a piece like Hertl outside of NYR, and all of the recent ACGMs involving the Sharks seemed to reflect that.

Assuming this offer gets outbid, how much more do you think the Rangers have to add?

It depends. Imo it takes a great prospect, roster player and a 1st.

Honestly in further consideration that offer actually seems pretty good. First thought about either Kravtsov, Miller or Lundkvist, but Chytil+Jones don't really fall far from that.

Most ACGMs say that literally all centers rumored in market are going to end up to NYR, starting from Eichel and ending to Danault.
Masonh618 liked this.
May 16, 2021 at 10:25 p.m.
If Hertl was under contract with San Jose for long term then I’d definitely agree a guy like Lundkvist is necessary. But he’s a year away from free agency. And most Sharks fans I’ve spoken to were content with Chytil + 1st for Hertl alone

You may look at it as trading for 1 year of Hertl but that’s not how the Sharks see it. It’s all but certain that Hertl is ready sign a long term deal with the Sharks. Plus, I think he’s nuts but Doug Wilson recently said that he plans to add a 3C and goaltending to the team and try to compete next year. Trading Hertl doesn’t make any sense if that’s the direction he’s headed.
May 16, 2021 at 11:37 p.m.
MGITBPITNHL
Quoting: ASharksFan
It’s all but certain that Hertl is ready sign a long term deal with the Sharks.

Pardon? This is news to me.
Edit - my formatting isn't working. Tried to bold this statement
May 17, 2021 at 12:37 a.m.
Pardon? This is news to me.
Edit - my formatting isn't working. Tried to bold this statement

How close do you follow the Sharks? Almost all of our home grown players want to stay and Hertl is one of the last guys I’d expect to want to go UFA. It’s like when Kreider was approaching UFA. Rangers fans knew he would sign a long term deal if it was offered. I doubt you will find many Sharks fans that think Hertl wouldn’t be happy to sign a long term deal with San Jose.
May 17, 2021 at 3:11 a.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: ASharksFan
How close do you follow the Sharks? Almost all of our home grown players want to stay and Hertl is one of the last guys I’d expect to want to go UFA. It’s like when Kreider was approaching UFA. Rangers fans knew he would sign a long term deal if it was offered. I doubt you will find many Sharks fans that think Hertl wouldn’t be happy to sign a long term deal with San Jose.

It's natural for a fan to think like this. Me as a Dallas fan am absolutely certain that Klingberg will re-sign, but honestly it's far from certain due to various things like money and finding a suitable environment for him and his family.

Most of NYR fans here were actually pretty sure that Kreider was going to be dealt since it wasn't long ago they openly said they were going to rebuild.

Now I don't think SJ has claimed anything like this, but if Hertl wants to fight for the cups in near future and at his prime, he'd be much better off just going somewhere else, because contract wise Sharks' situation is probably the worst in league. They have so many aging players inked to contracts lasting half of the decade, and they're close to unable to strengthen their team further.

It all comes to what Hertl views more important - his current team and how they'd feel if he left, or probability of success as an individual and a professional. All players in general play hockey to win - but only some of them can. And it's mostly dependent on whether you're at the right place at the right time or not. Currently in terms of success, SJ is not that place. Which is a shame because I used to like that team a lot at the beginning of 2010s.
Masonh618 liked this.
May 17, 2021 at 8:49 a.m.
It's natural for a fan to think like this. Me as a Dallas fan am absolutely certain that Klingberg will re-sign, but honestly it's far from certain due to various things like money and finding a suitable environment for him and his family.

Most of NYR fans here were actually pretty sure that Kreider was going to be dealt since it wasn't long ago they openly said they were going to rebuild.

Now I don't think SJ has claimed anything like this, but if Hertl wants to fight for the cups in near future and at his prime, he'd be much better off just going somewhere else, because contract wise Sharks' situation is probably the worst in league. They have so many aging players inked to contracts lasting half of the decade, and they're close to unable to strengthen their team further.

It all comes to what Hertl views more important - his current team and how they'd feel if he left, or probability of success as an individual and a professional. All players in general play hockey to win - but only some of them can. And it's mostly dependent on whether you're at the right place at the right time or not. Currently in terms of success, SJ is not that place. Which is a shame because I used to like that team a lot at the beginning of 2010s.

Yes lots of Rangers fans thought Kreider would/should be traded but none of them thought he would leave UFA if he was offered a long term deal. Lots of Sharks fans are speculating about Hertl being traded but none are saying he won’t sign. Some players just really fit with the team and city and Hertl does that here. If we were talking about Meier, I would be far less certain.

This speculation on trading Hertl is pretty pointless anyway after Wilson’s exit interview. Like it or not, he is adding to the team this off season instead of starting a rebuild.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll