Forums/Armchair-GM

Theres always next year

Created by: kams
Team: 2021-22 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 5, 2021
Published: Jun. 5, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Welp, here we go again. This team would probably still rip my heart out, but I want to see how creative they get with it this year.
Free Agent Signings
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$5,000,000
1$750,000
4$3,000,000
1$1,000,000
1$800,000
1$750,000
Trades
PIT
  1. Kerfoot, Alexander
Additional Details:
Either side can add picks, this is just a framework
TOR
    Expansion Pick
    SEA
    1. Dermott, Travis [RFA Rights]
    TOR
    1. 2021 4th round pick (ANA)
    ANA
    1. Engvall, Pierre
    Additional Details:
    Just a cap dump, the pick and team doesn’t matter
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    22$81,500,000$81,454,783$0$400,000$45,217
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 7
    $11,640,250$11,640,250
    C
    UFA - 3
    $10,903,000$10,903,000
    RW
    UFA - 4
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    LW, C, RW
    UFA - 1
    $11,000,000$11,000,000
    C, LW
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    $6,962,366$6,962,366
    RW
    UFA - 3
    $1,645,000$1,645,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $725,000$725,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 2
    $796,667$796,667
    LW, RW
    RFA - 3
    $750,000$750,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    $800,000$800,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $5,625,000$5,625,000
    LD
    NTC
    UFA - 3
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    LD/RD
    NTC
    UFA - 3
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    LD
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $1,650,000$1,650,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $894,167$894,167
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
    RD
    RFA - 1
    Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $750,000$750,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $750,000$750,000
    RW
    RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jun. 5, 2021 at 1:34 p.m.
    Jarry stinks and that is one heck of an over payment for galch.
    I also really dont like the idea of paying Hyman until he's 34 when he hasnt had a healthy season in like 3 years
    palhal liked this.
    Jun. 5, 2021 at 1:37 p.m.
    Once a Kings Fan Too
    It's pretty sad when a team is under such cap stress that moving a guy making $1.25 million is considered a significant accomplishment.
    Jun. 5, 2021 at 1:40 p.m.
    Not enough characte
    Quoting: JaredOfLondon
    Jarry stinks and that is one heck of an over payment for galch.
    I also really dont like the idea of paying Hyman until he's 34 when he hasnt had a healthy season in like 3 years

Jarry’s a decent goalie that would be used as a 1B in a tandem with Soupy (maybe works on his glove hand this offseason). I signed Galch for 4 years, and I feel like if they do sign him to that kind of term, he’s going to get 3 per, which is still a contract you can trade away in the later years of it. And finally, Zach Hyman is a Swiss Army knife for this team, he can play anywhere in the lineup, he kills penalties, plays on the pp, and can slot in anywhere in the lineup. He’s also been on pace for 30 goals in a full season the past 2 years, I say he’s worth it
    Jun. 5, 2021 at 1:44 p.m.
    Not enough characte
    Quoting: OldNYIfan
    It's pretty sad when a team is under such cap stress that moving a guy making $1.25 million is considered a significant accomplishment.

No, the sad part is losing in the first round of the playoffs for 5 straight seasons (if we count the play ins last year). I fully expect to get reverse swept next year, maybe against the Rangers this time?
    OldNYIfan liked this.
    Jun. 5, 2021 at 1:49 p.m.
    Quoting: kams
    Jarry’s a decent goalie that would be used as a 1B in a tandem with Soupy (maybe works on his glove hand this offseason). I signed Galch for 4 years, and I feel like if they do sign him to that kind of term, he’s going to get 3 per, which is still a contract you can trade away in the later years of it. And finally, Zach Hyman is a Swiss Army knife for this team, he can play anywhere in the lineup, he kills penalties, plays on the pp, and can slot in anywhere in the lineup. He’s also been on pace for 30 goals in a full season the past 2 years, I say he’s worth it

Jarry hasnt been a decent goalie in 2 years, and even that was just for a 30 some game stretch. he was bad before then too. If galch wants that kinda cash, he's not at all worth it, he can sign another show me deal and see how that turns out.
    Zach Hyman is a good player, i like Zach Hyman. He's also going to be 29 years old when the season starts, cant produce very well without allstar linemates, isnt fantastic in his own end and as i said before, cannot stay healthy. He is most likely going to decline pretty heavily as guys his age and playing style and physical history almost always do.
    Jun. 5, 2021 at 1:55 p.m.
    LongtimeLeafsufferer
    Seems like a big stretch to have Brooks and Boyd as regular centres. Then if one of Tavares and Matthews there is no one behind them. Too much $$$$ for Jarry and Galynchuyk.
    Jun. 5, 2021 at 2:07 p.m.
    Not enough characte
    Quoting: palhal
    Seems like a big stretch to have Brooks and Boyd as regular centres. Then if one of Tavares and Matthews there is no one behind them. Too much $$$$ for Jarry and Galynchuyk.

Ya, I’m not a big fan of the centre depth either, but I like both Boyd and Brooks, I hope one of them can step up. I didn’t sign Jarry, I traded for him and I find it unlikely that Pittsburgh will retain on him. Galch I signed for longer term, that’s why I have him at 3 mil per, if he signs a 1 or 2 year deal, then I see him being cheaper.
    Jun. 5, 2021 at 2:19 p.m.
    Not enough characte
    Jarry hasnt been a decent goalie in 2 years, and even that was just for a 30 some game stretch. he was bad before then too. If galch wants that kinda cash, he's not at all worth it, he can sign another show me deal and see how that turns out.
    Zach Hyman is a good player, i like Zach Hyman. He's also going to be 29 years old when the season starts, cant produce very well without allstar linemates, isnt fantastic in his own end and as i said before, cannot stay healthy. He is most likely going to decline pretty heavily as guys his age and playing style and physical history almost always do.

Fair enough about Jarry, but he doesn’t need to be an all star, he just needs to get wins, that’s all anyone would ask of him. I can see your point about Galch too, but I still like the idea of signing him for a longer contract than a “prove it” deal.
    Ok, on to Hyman. My argument is that not only does everyone want to play with him, but every line he plays on does significantly better, I don’t think Matthews and Marner have the same season they have unless Hyman is on that line. I do understand your argument about him getting up there and I’d probably feel better without that 5th year, but Crosby’s still killing it at 33, and his game is a lot of cycling and playing in the dirty areas and he has arguably a worse injury history than Hyman. Now I’m not saying that Hyman is as good or better than Crosby, but I am saying there is precedent that players like Hyman break that mold, and I honestly believe that will happen
    Jun. 5, 2021 at 2:23 p.m.
    Fair enough about Jarry, but he doesn’t need to be an all star, he just needs to get wins, that’s all anyone would ask of him. I can see your point about Galch too, but I still like the idea of signing him for a longer contract than a “prove it” deal.
    Ok, on to Hyman. My argument is that not only does everyone want to play with him, but every line he plays on does significantly better, I don’t think Matthews and Marner have the same season they have unless Hyman is on that line. I do understand your argument about him getting up there and I’d probably feel better without that 5th year, but Crosby’s still killing it at 33, and his game is a lot of cycling and playing in the dirty areas and he has arguably a worse injury history than Hyman. Now I’m not saying that Hyman is as good or better than Crosby, but I am saying there is precedent that players like Hyman break that mold, and I honestly believe that will happen

the thing about a guy like Crosby vs a guy like Hyman isnt just that crosby is worlds more tallented it's about how they play. Crosby has the brain to adjust as his body deteriorates. Hockey IQ guys like that (and Spezza) can adjust and still be effective. Hyman is all energy and all speed, if he gets slower and cant check as hard or whatever he doesnt just become less effective, he becomes a burden because he isnt smart or skilled or have the hands to be a different kind of guy and adjust his game.
    Jun. 5, 2021 at 2:37 p.m.
    Not enough characte
    the thing about a guy like Crosby vs a guy like Hyman isnt just that crosby is worlds more tallented it's about how they play. Crosby has the brain to adjust as his body deteriorates. Hockey IQ guys like that (and Spezza) can adjust and still be effective. Hyman is all energy and all speed, if he gets slower and cant check as hard or whatever he doesnt just become less effective, he becomes a burden because he isnt smart or skilled or have the hands to be a different kind of guy and adjust his game.

Ok, here’s a different comparison then, Ryan Getzlaf (I’d argue they’re more alike than Hyman and Crosby). Getzlaf is still a consistent point producer, putting up solid 3rd line numbers while injuries haven’t allowed him to play a full 82 game season since 2011/12. I see something similar for Hyman, you’re not going to keep him on the top line forever, but he will produce well until someone else fills that spot and he’ll still be a good player for this team after he’s not on that line
    Jun. 5, 2021 at 2:44 p.m.
    Ok, here’s a different comparison then, Ryan Getzlaf (I’d argue they’re more alike than Hyman and Crosby). Getzlaf is still a consistent point producer, putting up solid 3rd line numbers while injuries haven’t allowed him to play a full 82 game season since 2011/12. I see something similar for Hyman, you’re not going to keep him on the top line forever, but he will produce well until someone else fills that spot and he’ll still be a good player for this team after he’s not on that line

but getzlaf is just another one of those high IQ guys. He's never been a burner either, so losing a step or three didnt dramatically alter his game. And he still has better hands and defensive awareness than Hyman ever did. You'll also notice that his numbers dropped pretty hard at about 28, which is where Hyman is now. So if A guy like getzlaf goes from well above ppg to 60i-70sh points at the start of their drop off, Hyman projects as a 40 point guy, and thats if he can figure out how to still get in the muck of it when being significantly slower. He isnt going to be able to post up in the slot or crease and use his puck skills like Getzlaf, he isnt going to be able to play the outside circles because he doesnt have the shot, etc.
    Jun. 5, 2021 at 2:54 p.m.
    Banned
    penguins have no desire to add Kerfoot.
    Jun. 5, 2021 at 4:37 p.m.
    Not enough characte
    Quoting: pharrow
    penguins have no desire to add Kerfoot.

Then if you’re trading Jarry, who would you take back?
    Jun. 5, 2021 at 10:41 p.m.
    Banned
    Then if you’re trading Jarry, who would you take back?

They aren't going to trade Jarry. TOR has very little to trade. You got most of your cap tied up in 4 players. The rest are old and slow forwards on like 1 year deals that no one wants. The defense is weak, and your goalies are worse. You'd be sending picks or prospects to a team for anything. As there isn't much to trade. All the other real talent has weeded itself out over the past 2 years. You traded out Kap, you are probably losing Hyman to FA.
    There ain't much on this team to trade for.
    Jun. 5, 2021 at 11:32 p.m.
    Not enough characte
    They aren't going to trade Jarry. TOR has very little to trade. You got most of your cap tied up in 4 players. The rest are old and slow forwards on like 1 year deals that no one wants. The defense is weak, and your goalies are worse. You'd be sending picks or prospects to a team for anything. As there isn't much to trade. All the other real talent has weeded itself out over the past 2 years. You traded out Kap, you are probably losing Hyman to FA.
    There ain't much on this team to trade for.

Someone clearly wasn’t paying attention to the Leafs this year. Their defence has improved drastically, they have a solid top 4 locked up for next year (assuming Seattle doesn’t take Holl) Sandin looks like an NHL player, a little raw, but very promising and looks ok for a bottom pairing role rn. Freddy was injury plagued and Campbell stepped up big time, putting up better numbers than Carey Price in that series. Engvall, Mikeyhev (who did beat McDavid in a foot race), Kerfoot all look stellar (granted for middle 6 players). And on top of that all, from what I see Pittsburgh is ready to run Jarry out of town, they already have his bags packed grin
    Jun. 6, 2021 at 8:59 a.m.
    Banned
    Someone clearly wasn’t paying attention to the Leafs this year. Their defence has improved drastically, they have a solid top 4 locked up for next year (assuming Seattle doesn’t take Holl) Sandin looks like an NHL player, a little raw, but very promising and looks ok for a bottom pairing role rn. Freddy was injury plagued and Campbell stepped up big time, putting up better numbers than Carey Price in that series. Engvall, Mikeyhev (who did beat McDavid in a foot race), Kerfoot all look stellar (granted for middle 6 players). And on top of that all, from what I see Pittsburgh is ready to run Jarry out of town, they already have his bags packed grin

look how clueless you are.
    A. the penguins aren't running Jarry out of town.
    B. you must be kidding on your forward depth. Old and slow are the only words that describe it. Hell you over here trying to bolster it coughing up 1st for foligno because it's so bad.
    Just think that through, you were so desperate for forward help. you gave a 1st for Foligno. Are we done here? Do you see how out of touch with reality you are? Trying to compare Mikeyhev to McDavid? what the hell are you even talking about.
    TOR defense is half baked. TOR fans been trying to say the same thing about their defense the last two years......and they have gone no where and have been the biggest burden to the team.
    But according to you Holl is a 1LD and the most amazing defenseman ever. **** he should win the norris according to TOR fans. Just prop him up there with some of the other winners like Bracco and we good.
    Jun. 6, 2021 at 1:31 p.m.
    Not enough characte
    look how clueless you are.
    A. the penguins aren't running Jarry out of town.
    B. you must be kidding on your forward depth. Old and slow are the only words that describe it. Hell you over here trying to bolster it coughing up 1st for foligno because it's so bad.
    Just think that through, you were so desperate for forward help. you gave a 1st for Foligno. Are we done here? Do you see how out of touch with reality you are? Trying to compare Mikeyhev to McDavid? what the hell are you even talking about.
    TOR defense is half baked. TOR fans been trying to say the same thing about their defense the last two years......and they have gone no where and have been the biggest burden to the team.
    But according to you Holl is a 1LD and the most amazing defenseman ever. **** he should win the norris according to TOR fans. Just prop him up there with some of the other winners like Bracco and we good.

So you’re saying that a team that was literally built around youth and speed is old and slow? Jumbo’s the only player I can think of that really fits what you say the entire Leafs depth is. Spezza’s old but he’s still fast (you would know that if you watched him play) Simmonds is only 32, Hyman is 29 and the rest of the rostered forwards are 27 and under, so I wouldn’t exactly use the words “old” and “slow”. Foligno was brought in to bolster the top 6, not for depth, I would have given up a first too (and didn’t Tampa give a first for bottom 6 depth last year?). Foligno only ended up playing in the bottom 6 because he wasn’t 100% so they wanted to shelter his minutes.
    And if you actually took my Mileyhev v. McDavid comment IN CONTEXT, you would notice that I said that Mikeyhev beat who many people consider the fastest player in the league in a foot race because you called this team slow, I didn’t say Mikeyhev was the better player of the two.
    Speaking of taking things out of context, I didn’t say Holl is 1LD (he plays the right side btw) I was saying that Holl is a part of a solid top 4 in Toronto along with Rielly, Brodie and Muzzin. And again, if you payed any attention to the Leafs fans, you’d know that we were actually (mostly) happy with our defence this year.
    And lastly we clearly pay attention to different Pens fans because I’ve seen some say that they’ve already packed Jarry’s bags

And you called me clueless, lol
    Jun. 6, 2021 at 4:09 p.m.
    Banned
    So you’re saying that a team that was literally built around youth and speed is old and slow? Jumbo’s the only player I can think of that really fits what you say the entire Leafs depth is. Spezza’s old but he’s still fast (you would know that if you watched him play) Simmonds is only 32, Hyman is 29 and the rest of the rostered forwards are 27 and under, so I wouldn’t exactly use the words “old” and “slow”. Foligno was brought in to bolster the top 6, not for depth, I would have given up a first too (and didn’t Tampa give a first for bottom 6 depth last year?). Foligno only ended up playing in the bottom 6 because he wasn’t 100% so they wanted to shelter his minutes.
    And if you actually took my Mileyhev v. McDavid comment IN CONTEXT, you would notice that I said that Mikeyhev beat who many people consider the fastest player in the league in a foot race because you called this team slow, I didn’t say Mikeyhev was the better player of the two.
    Speaking of taking things out of context, I didn’t say Holl is 1LD (he plays the right side btw) I was saying that Holl is a part of a solid top 4 in Toronto along with Rielly, Brodie and Muzzin. And again, if you payed any attention to the Leafs fans, you’d know that we were actually (mostly) happy with our defence this year.
    And lastly we clearly pay attention to different Pens fans because I’ve seen some say that they’ve already packed Jarry’s bags

And you called me clueless, lol

speed???
    Foligno, is slow.
    Jumbo is slow
    Spezza is slow
    Simmonds is slow
    Build around speed?
    No you got 4-5 guys in your forward group that you build around that are fast. That doesn't mean they built the rest of the team around "speed".
    If you think that's what happened here then you are clueless.
    And Foligno played on the bottom 6 because he's a bottom 6 player. Hell he was even getting bottom 6 minutes in CBJ when they were healthy. He's old and slowed.
    He was never the fastest player to begin with.
    But it's views like these that lead you to Holl is a legit top 4. Then wondering why you are getting early exits from the playoffs every year. At least have some no homer objective opinions.
    Jun. 6, 2021 at 5:50 p.m.
    Not enough characte
    speed???
    Foligno, is slow.
    Jumbo is slow
    Spezza is slow
    Simmonds is slow
    Build around speed?
    No you got 4-5 guys in your forward group that you build around that are fast. That doesn't mean they built the rest of the team around "speed".
    If you think that's what happened here then you are clueless.
    And Foligno played on the bottom 6 because he's a bottom 6 player. Hell he was even getting bottom 6 minutes in CBJ when they were healthy. He's old and slowed.
    He was never the fastest player to begin with.
    But it's views like these that lead you to Holl is a legit top 4. Then wondering why you are getting early exits from the playoffs every year. At least have some no homer objective opinions.

I’m not surprised you think all that, after all, you thought that the only right shot in that top 4 was playing the left side.

I literally said Jumbo was old and slow, I’m not stupid. But Spezza is fast, you would have seen that if you watched any of their games. When Foligno got to the Leafs, he was not only playing on the top 6 before he got hurt, he was playing well on the top 6. Again, you would have known that if you were watching the games. Other forwards that you didn’t mention because they are fast (apart from the core 4, of course)
    Mikeyhev
    Kerfoot
    Hyman
    Engvall
    Brooks
    Galchenyuk
    Spezza (even though I mentioned him already)
    That’s 7 depth forwards outside the core 4 meaning 11 of the 12 forward spots can have speed, and you say this team wasn’t built around that (and I didn’t even mention Robertson) grin

Finally Holl is a top 4 defenceman, he has better analytic numbers than Parayko and there is a reason that him and Muzzin are considered the “shutdown pair” and he was far and away their best player in game 7.

I base my opinions on results, I am seriously curious where you get yours from
    Jun. 6, 2021 at 6:16 p.m.
    Banned
    I’m not surprised you think all that, after all, you thought that the only right shot in that top 4 was playing the left side.

I literally said Jumbo was old and slow, I’m not stupid. But Spezza is fast, you would have seen that if you watched any of their games. When Foligno got to the Leafs, he was not only playing on the top 6 before he got hurt, he was playing well on the top 6. Again, you would have known that if you were watching the games. Other forwards that you didn’t mention because they are fast (apart from the core 4, of course)
    Mikeyhev
    Kerfoot
    Hyman
    Engvall
    Brooks
    Galchenyuk
    Spezza (even though I mentioned him already)
    That’s 7 depth forwards outside the core 4 meaning 11 of the 12 forward spots can have speed, and you say this team wasn’t built around that (and I didn’t even mention Robertson) grin

Finally Holl is a top 4 defenceman, he has better analytic numbers than Parayko and there is a reason that him and Muzzin are considered the “shutdown pair” and he was far and away their best player in game 7.

I base my opinions on results, I am seriously curious where you get yours from

Foligno was only playing top 6 this year in CBJ due to injury. I don't even know where you get this mess. He's been a 2nd - 3rd liner for awhile now.
    Bjorkstrand and atkinson are on the RW and it was suppose to be Nyquist and Tex on the LW.
    You have no clue.
    Doubt you even watched 3 CBJ games all year.
    TOR went out and got a bunch of old slower players that were suppose to provide the "grit" for their primadonna players like Marner who won't get their hands dirty.
    It's fine, plenty of teams do that. But don't come over here telling me they brought in a bunch of slow and washed or slowing and soon to be washed players in to be "speed"
    You base your opinions on your absurdly arrogant views that are detached from reality. Come over here with Engvall is fast.....or like pass around Galchenyuk is a real hockey player.
    Mikeyhev has looked washed since his hand injury, which is sad because he looked very promising before his tendons got diced, but that's a hard come back.
    And as I said Hyman is looking like he's out the door. He's gonna go cash in unless Dubas is dumb enough to get took on another contract in over paying a guy.

This leafs logic Holl is better than Parayko thread is over. You epitomize why no one respects leafs fans.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll