Forums/Armchair-GM

a little less crazy but still highly unlikely

Created by: doreh
Team: 2021-22 Washington Capitals
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 10, 2021
Published: Jun. 11, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
After an off the board first attempt at building a roster (https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/2460280), this time I'm trying to be a little more realistic but it still feels like NHL 21

protected list: backstrom, kuznetsov, oshie, mantha, wilson, eller, sprong; carlson, orlov, jensen; samsonov

Regarding the trades:

Seattle - Caps pay a 2nd and an ok prospect for them to take Hagelin in ED. Sign Nosek to replace him at a cheaper cost.

Arizona - Kempny wasn't good coming back from a torn hamstring last season and didn't play this season because of a torn achilles suffered during offseason training. If he's still injured, Caps stash him on LTIR. If not, pay someone a 4th to take his final year for a guy who's not even coming back to NA. Could be any team really. Chose ARZ because they have a lot of UFA D-men. Maybe someone will pay a late round pick to see if he can be useful on a third pair, but I doubt it.

Kuznetsov - Caps are rumored to be looking to move him if the right deal comes along. To be honest, he was really good this season when he was able to play. Better than the previous two. The COVID thing killed his playoffs. Outside of Mantha, every winger on the team was better with him than with Backstrom but his off ice stuff really hurts his image and value. I'm really unsure who might be interested. If the Caps really want to move him, it might have to be for futures. In that case, I think it might be better to hold on to him if they can't sign a replacement like Danault. Who might be interested?
CGY? Don't like the Monahan 1 for 1 and don´t think Suter and him can survive in the same locker room. Also think CGY is on his no trade list
CBJ? Rumored to be looking for a top C. Think CBJ would be on his no trade list. If not, would trade him there for Foudy and a 1st if able to get a top 6 somewhere else. Don't know how CBJ fans feel about it.
LAK? Rumored to be after 2 top 6 F. Think he would waive and it would have to be for futures but Kings fans don't see a fit there.
SJ? Would love something around him and Hertl, but Sharks fans also don't see a fit for him there. Kuzy+Vanecek+??? for Hertl extended. I'd do it but don't think Sharks fans would.
MTL? If they don't re-sign Danault or want more offense behind Suzuki, maybe they would be interested. MTL seems to have success with Russians on their roster. Would do it for Poehling, 2 seconds (2021 and 2022) and Danault UFA rights at the entry draft. Add a 5th to Kuzy for Danault rights. Don't know how Habs fans feel about this one but it's one of my favorite options if the Caps decide to trade Kuzy
VGK? Maybe McPhee is interested in his former Caps draftee. Saw Tuch+Glass for him on other ACGM rosters from non caps fans and like the idea but they'd have to move Lehner or MAF.
ARZ? Somehting around him + and Schmaltz would be good, but don't think Coyotes fans like that very much. Also don't think he would waive to go there.
STL? Think he would go there to play with Tarasenko. Don't know if they have cap room. Would try to build something around R Thomas or J Kyrou but think they're untouchable.
MIN? Kuzy for Dumba prior to the expansion draft makes sense and I think Kuzy would look really good between Kaprizov and Zuc. This has been tried a lot here on ACGM and Wild fans don't seem to see a fit for him in Minny. Think he would waive to go there.

Think the MTL option is the safest way but went with the Sharks option and gonna be killed here for it. Caps use cap space from Schultz expiring deal to extend him after the season

Those are just my opinions not what I think will happen. I have absolutely no idea what Caps management is going to try
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$750,000
2$750,000
2$780,000
2$825,000
1$750,000
2$1,750,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$10,000,000
1$750,000
1$750,000
1$750,000
2$800,000
2$1,600,000
1$750,000
2$1,650,000
1$1,000,000
Trades
WSH
  1. Langhamer, Marek [Reserve List]
ARI
  1. Kempný, Michal
  2. 2022 4th round pick (WSH)
WSH
SEA
  1. Geisser, Tobias
  2. Hagelin, Carl
  3. 2021 2nd round pick (WSH)
SJS
  1. Kuznetsov, Evgeny
  2. Lapierre, Hendrix
  3. Vanecek, Vitek
  4. 2022 3rd round pick (WSH)
Additional Details:
unsure if it's enough but worth a try.
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$73,371,261$472,927$132,500$8,128,739

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Washington Capitals
$10,000,000$10,000,000
LW
UFA - 5
Logo of the San Jose Sharks
$5,625,000$5,625,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,166,667$5,166,667
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$2,850,000$2,850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$9,200,000$9,200,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
$725,000$725,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$2,415,000$2,415,000
C
UFA - 2
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$1,600,000$1,600,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,275,000$1,275,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$3,900,000$3,900,000
LD
UFA - 3
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$791,667$791,667 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RD
UFA - 2
$1,750,000$1,750,000
G
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
$1,650,000$1,650,000
G
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$950,000$950,000
RD
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 11, 2021 at 2:53 p.m.
Think Hertl is a realistic option since he was rumored to be on the trade block but I wouldn't pay that much. Remove Lapierre and see if that gets it done.

Caps won't pay to get rid of Hags, they like him. Just move one of Schultz or Dillon to make room.
Jun. 11, 2021 at 2:58 p.m.
down bad
Capitals get hosed and its really really bad. Lappy is projected to be a 1-2c... V V is a solid starter and Kuzy is a great 1-2c? then we add a 3rd?...? why is everyone sell so low onKuzy. its insane
Jun. 11, 2021 at 3:00 p.m.
down bad
Quoting: ClockReads2113
Think Hertl is a realistic option since he was rumored to be on the trade block but I wouldn't pay that much. Remove Lapierre and see if that gets it done.

Caps won't pay to get rid of Hags, they like him. Just move one of Schultz or Dillon to make room.

Kuzy is a great center w term... why give up an A level prospect to get a UFA thats barely an upgrade over Kuzy? Capitals have one of th better young center depth in the NHL with Lappy McM and Protas whywaste that
Jun. 11, 2021 at 3:05 p.m.
Doreh
Edited Jun. 11, 2021 at 3:20 p.m.
Agree that they like Hags. I do too. Thought about moving Schultz or Dillon but looked at the options of UFA D-men and think that Hags would be easier and cheaper to replace. Just think Caps will have to pay Seattle for them to take anyone not named Vanecek and they use him somewhere else.

Don't like including Lapierre but may have to overpay to get a top 6 C in returno for Kuzy. Just might as well keep him. But thought it'd be okay to include Lapierre to sweeten the pot, as Hertl-McMichael-Protas would settle the team in the long run
Jun. 11, 2021 at 3:11 p.m.
Doreh
Edited Jun. 11, 2021 at 3:16 p.m.
Quoting: DogDayCaps2
Kuzy is a great center w term... why give up an A level prospect to get a UFA thats barely an upgrade over Kuzy? Capitals have one of th better young center depth in the NHL with Lappy McM and Protas whywaste that

Disagree that Lapierre is an A level prospect. With all of his injuries, he's also a question mark moving forward. McMichael on the other hand is. The trade is tied to Hertl signing an extension with the Caps. If he doesn't remove Lapierre and the pick of course and see if they bite. But with an extension, would have no problem moving Lapierre for Hertl
Jun. 11, 2021 at 3:32 p.m.
Doreh
Capitals get hosed and its really really bad. Lappy is projected to be a 1-2c... V V is a solid starter and Kuzy is a great 1-2c? then we add a 3rd?...? why is everyone sell so low onKuzy. its insane

Lappy is projected to be a 1-2 C, Hertl already is. VV is a solid backup and ok starter. In my opinion his ceiling is lower than Grubauer's. And Kuzy is in fact a 1-2c but rumor has it that Caps management is running low on patience with his off ice stuff and decline after the 2018 cup run. Who knows how the rest of the league values him but I'm sure the off ice stuff lowers it. It might be an overpayement but insanity is far from it
Jun. 11, 2021 at 3:33 p.m.
down bad
Quoting: doreh
Disagree that Lapierre is an A level prospect. With all of his injuries, he's also a question mark moving forward. McMichael on the other hand is. The trade is tied to Hertl signing an extension with the Caps. If he doesn't remove Lapierre and the pick of course and see if they bite. But with an extension, would have no problem moving Lapierre for Hertl

Lapierre reg season
21gp 8g 23a 31p

playoffs
9gp 5g 7a 12p

Lapierre absolutely isan A prospect .... they reason he wasnt picked in the top 10 was his injuries but thats manageable. biggest thing to takeaway from that is he AND Mcmichael play very well in the playoffs

difference between Kuzy and Hertl isnt an A level prospect, a solid 25 yearold goalieanda 3rd.... thats just terrible asset management
Jun. 11, 2021 at 3:36 p.m.
down bad
Lappy is projected to be a 1-2 C, Hertl already is. VV is a solid backup and ok starter. In my opinion his ceiling is lower than Grubauer's. And Kuzy is in fact a 1-2c but rumor has it that Caps management is running low on patience with his off ice stuff and decline after the 2018 cup run. Who knows how the rest of the league values him but I'm sure the off ice stuff lowers it. It might be an overpayement but insanity is far from it

V V wastop 10 in ice time and wins....what part of that screams backup to you? Ohyeah it was his first NHL season. Hertl is going to be a UFA and doesnt make this team better than it is with Kuzy. so basically paying a lot to stay a non contender is idiotic,... thatslike saying Wild should trade Rossi for Kuzy bc Kuzy is a 1c right now
Jun. 11, 2021 at 4:21 p.m.
Doreh
That's the problem around here. Everyone thinks their opinion are indeed facts and everyone else that disagrees is idiotic, stupid or insane. Insanity is running the same aging core year after year after 3 straight 1st round exits and 2 wins the past 2 seasons and hope that changing complimentary pieces around said core will make them go past TB, VGK, COL, CAR or BOS.

Are we really comparing Rossi to Lapierre?? Rossi's numbers are vastly superior (I can also check player stats on eliteprospects) playing in a tougher league in the OHL. I would say that comparing these two is idiotic. See how easy that is?

And who cares if he's a good player in the QMJHL playoffs? How does that translate to the NHL playoffs? He didn't make Canada's WJC roster this year. An A level prospect would have made the team as an 18 YO as McMichael did. I'm not saying Lappy is a bad prospect but I don't consider him untouchable or a star in the making.

The Caps are trying to win for the next 4 years with this core. Lapierre will not help with that. They'll worry about a rebuild after Ovi and Backy retire. That's completely different situation with the Wild and Rossi as they have a younger team and can wait for him to force his way onto the team.

Hertl and Kuzy are comparable players and an extended Hertl would keep him on the team longer than Kuzy 4 remaining years. Hertl is more consistent, 2 years younger and who knows which Kuzy will show up next season. Hoping that 2018 Kuzy suddenly reappears 4 years older is once again idiotic.

VV top 10 in ice time and wins. What other options did the Caps have? Samsonov and his 2 COVID list stint and Craig Anderson? Some goalie would have gotten those wins. His goals saved above expectation weren't something to rave about. Right now I think he's ok starter that may develop into an solid starter. Caps already have that with Samsonov with a higher ceiling. So yes, I would move him.

Remove the pick if you like, but I'd for sure do Kuzy+VV+Lappy for an extended Hertl. The Caps attached a 1st to Vrana to get Mantha, two comparable players, just for cost control, fit and Vrana's frustration with his role. The 2nd was for Detroit to take Panik's contract. So I don't see how this would be terrible asset management

Having said that, I think this scenario is unlikely and the Caps will end up keeping Kuzy but I would not expect a significant return if he's dealt without sweetners.
Jun. 11, 2021 at 4:55 p.m.
down bad
That's the problem around here. Everyone thinks their opinion are indeed facts and everyone else that disagrees is idiotic, stupid or insane. Insanity is running the same aging core year after year after 3 straight 1st round exits and 2 wins the past 2 seasons and hope that changing complimentary pieces around said core will make them go past TB, VGK, COL, CAR or BOS.

Are we really comparing Rossi to Lapierre?? Rossi's numbers are vastly superior (I can also check player stats on eliteprospects) playing in a tougher league in the OHL. I would say that comparing these two is idiotic. See how easy that is?

And who cares if he's a good player in the QMJHL playoffs? How does that translate to the NHL playoffs? He didn't make Canada's WJC roster this year. An A level prospect would have made the team as an 18 YO as McMichael did. I'm not saying Lappy is a bad prospect but I don't consider him untouchable or a star in the making.

The Caps are trying to win for the next 4 years with this core. Lapierre will not help with that. They'll worry about a rebuild after Ovi and Backy retire. That's completely different situation with the Wild and Rossi as they have a younger team and can wait for him to force his way onto the team.

Hertl and Kuzy are comparable players and an extended Hertl would keep him on the team longer than Kuzy 4 remaining years. Hertl is more consistent, 2 years younger and who knows which Kuzy will show up next season. Hoping that 2018 Kuzy suddenly reappears 4 years older is once again idiotic.

VV top 10 in ice time and wins. What other options did the Caps have? Samsonov and his 2 COVID list stint and Craig Anderson? Some goalie would have gotten those wins. His goals saved above expectation weren't something to rave about. Right now I think he's ok starter that may develop into an solid starter. Caps already have that with Samsonov with a higher ceiling. So yes, I would move him.

Remove the pick if you like, but I'd for sure do Kuzy+VV+Lappy for an extended Hertl. The Caps attached a 1st to Vrana to get Mantha, two comparable players, just for cost control, fit and Vrana's frustration with his role. The 2nd was for Detroit to take Panik's contract. So I don't see how this would be terrible asset management

Having said that, I think this scenario is unlikely and the Caps will end up keeping Kuzy but I would not expect a significant return if he's dealt without sweetners.

Guy Hertl isnt worth all that.... longstory short you massively overpaid and traded away one of the Capitals best playoffs players. Kuzy last 5 years is a .96ppg playoff guy. Rossi was comared bc he is in badshape since he got covid
Jun. 11, 2021 at 6:05 p.m.
Doreh
Guy Hertl isnt worth all that.... longstory short you massively overpaid and traded away one of the Capitals best playoffs players. Kuzy last 5 years is a .96ppg playoff guy. Rossi was comared bc he is in badshape since he got covid

Agree on the overpay, disagree on the massively. Knowingly overpaying to shake up the core and getting a very good player who'll still be around once extended to help the transiton years after Ovi and Backy.

If they decide to move someone from the core is the way, I think Kuzy is the first to go. After the coke video and suspension, the decline in play, the subpar defensive play, the "trying to be the best player in the world takes too much work and I don't want to go there", the inabitly or lack of professionalism of following safety protocols and the 1 game team discipline suspension, I think the team will have to settle for a underwhelming return if they trade him or will have to significantly add to get a top 6 guy.

Once again, because of that, I think he stays in the end

But let's agree on disagree.
DogDayCaps2 and brady_t12 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll