SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Trade Machine Proposals

An idea

Created by: Boston14
Published: Jun. 13, 2021 at 10:43 p.m.
Salary Cap: $81,500,000
Season Days: 27/116 (23%)
Central Registry Determination: This trade has been rejected because the upper limit has been exceeded by one of the trade parties

Logo of the Boston BruinsBoston Bruins

OutStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
DeBrusk, JakeBoston BruinsNHL-$855,387111---0000--
Booth, CallumWaivers ExemptBoston BruinsNHL-$162,931111-------00
InStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Koskinen, MikkoEdmonton OilersNHL-$1,047,413111-------00
Lavoie, RaphaelWaivers ExemptEdmonton OilersMinor-$0011---0000--
2022 1st round pick (Logo of the Edmonton OilersEDM)---100------
ChangeCap SpaceRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Initial-$12,799,8153947633413
Change-$29,095-100100
Final-$12,828,910 (↓)38 (↓)47634 (↑)413000

Logo of the Edmonton OilersEdmonton Oilers

Trade occurred while using LTIR
LTIR Relief: $8,217,000
LTIR Used Prior to Trade: $6,436,167
OutStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Koskinen, MikkoEdmonton OilersNHL-$4,500,000111-------00
Lavoie, RaphaelWaivers ExemptEdmonton OilersMinor-$0011---0000--
2022 1st round pick (Logo of the Edmonton OilersEDM)---100------
InStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
DeBrusk, JakeBoston BruinsNHL-$3,675,000111---0000--
Booth, CallumWaivers ExemptBoston BruinsNHL-$700,000111-------00
ChangeCap SpaceRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Initial$1,780,8333248633412
Change$125,000100-100
Final$1,905,833 (↑)33 (↑)48632 (↓)412000
Jun. 13, 2021 at 11:04 p.m.
Boston14
So the thoughts behind this trade:

1- If Rask does not return to Boston for some reason they will need a goalie. While Mikko has his ups and downs, he has played well at times and could be a goalie that can win a couple games. He could be a fairly useful backup if they want to give swayman the starting role. He may even surprise people and have a great start/ steal the number 1 role.

2- Rask could still return later in the season as well. Boston could try to move Koskinen later on or send to the minor if needed.

3- Boston gets a prospect with size and skill.

4- the draft pick could be conditional if needed to even out the trade. But I think it’s fair when you like at it from the point of view that on Edmonton side it would create some cap space and not create dead cap space by having to buyout mikko. Like the previous year Marleau trade, a first rounder was the going rate.

5- makes it a lot easier for Edmonton to sign Smith and look at a longer term option in net as well. The buyout for Koskinen isn’t crazy but cap space is hard to come by.

6- Debrusk would look really great playing in Edmonton’s top six. I would not be surprised if he turned into 30 goal scorer. This year in Boston JD also started killing penalties. He has shown good skill on the pp when in the right role.
Dutchies liked this.
Jun. 14, 2021 at 12:38 a.m.
Sir
Quoting: Boston14
So the thoughts behind this trade:

1- If Rask does not return to Boston for some reason they will need a goalie. While Mikko has his ups and downs, he has played well at times and could be a goalie that can win a couple games. He could be a fairly useful backup if they want to give swayman the starting role. He may even surprise people and have a great start/ steal the number 1 role.

2- Rask could still return later in the season as well. Boston could try to move Koskinen later on or send to the minor if needed.

3- Boston gets a prospect with size and skill.

4- the draft pick could be conditional if needed to even out the trade. But I think it’s fair when you like at it from the point of view that on Edmonton side it would create some cap space and not create dead cap space by having to buyout mikko. Like the previous year Marleau trade, a first rounder was the going rate.

5- makes it a lot easier for Edmonton to sign Smith and look at a longer term option in net as well. The buyout for Koskinen isn’t crazy but cap space is hard to come by.

6- Debrusk would look really great playing in Edmonton’s top six. I would not be surprised if he turned into 30 goal scorer. This year in Boston JD also started killing penalties. He has shown good skill on the pp when in the right role.

Not sure why the Bruins would do this - Mikko is not a good goalie and much like them moving on from Krug and Chara, if Rask is indeed resigning they roll with Swayman and Vladar until he is back and may they add an older most cost effective veteran like Halak again. However I watched Lavoie play a couple games in the Q - liked what I saw, but seemed to be very inconsistent from shift to shift. Worth taking a flier on for sure, not sure the Bruins are keen to move on from DeBrusk though. I know everyone will talk about the fact he got benched for 2 games this year and had an off year, but when he was back Bruce had him playing the PK as well meaning his value to the team is still good.
Jun. 14, 2021 at 12:26 p.m.
Boston14
Edited Jun. 14, 2021 at 12:36 p.m.
Quoting: Hobo
Not sure why the Bruins would do this - Mikko is not a good goalie and much like them moving on from Krug and Chara, if Rask is indeed resigning they roll with Swayman and Vladar until he is back and may they add an older most cost effective veteran like Halak again. However I watched Lavoie play a couple games in the Q - liked what I saw, but seemed to be very inconsistent from shift to shift. Worth taking a flier on for sure, not sure the Bruins are keen to move on from DeBrusk though. I know everyone will talk about the fact he got benched for 2 games this year and had an off year, but when he was back Bruce had him playing the PK as well meaning his value to the team is still good.

I was working with the opinion that Boston has decided to move on from Debrusk. I really like him as a player but he has been buried in the lineup. He doesn’t get powerplay time and Coyle is not a good “fit” as his center. If Boston does not resign Hall then they won’t trade Debrusk.

I was trying think of a creative way to get a good return for him. A lot of people are trading DeBrusk for spare parts. Lavoie is an unknown right now but I like his size and believe he could be a player that would fit well in Boston long term plan. Plus they would get a first rounder that they could use to stock up their prospects pool or trade the pick to fill another hole in their current roster.

Mikko is definitely not a first choice by any means but he has experience and could surprise people. I don’t think you could get both a 1st rounder and a good prospect from Edmonton without take some salary back in one way or another (ie: Kassian).

Plus it’s only one season. If it works great or if not you can move on. I don’t think Boston is going to make huge changes and if they are able to and have the capspace they should use it. Boston could always sent him to the minors or trade him later on in the season for a 7th or something.

I would not have Swayman and Vlader as a pair to start the season. One of them should be the starter in the ahl so they can continue to develop. You could rotate between them as need since they both are on two-way. I think Boston would need to sign a goalie with some experience. Most decent goalies would be around 2 million at least. While Mikko makes 4.5, unless Boston is going to make a ton of moves this off season and spend to the cap I think it’s doable to have an overpaid goalie on the roster because they have two young goalie prospects. If Swayman or Vlader are the starter and play well it doesn’t really matter who’s sitting on the bench. I don’t think Halak is going to be back in Boston with the way the season end but I’d be happy if he was.

I hope Rask returns and when healthy is their number 1. If Boston can make an agreement with Rask and have him ready for the playoffs that would be great before making this trade. Look at what Tampa bay did this year.

I think this trade idea really depends on how Boston wants to use their capspace.
Jun. 14, 2021 at 4:24 p.m.
Sir
Quoting: Boston14
I was working with the opinion that Boston has decided to move on from Debrusk. I really like him as a player but he has been buried in the lineup. He doesn’t get powerplay time and Coyle is not a good “fit” as his center. If Boston does not resign Hall then they won’t trade Debrusk.

I was trying think of a creative way to get a good return for him. A lot of people are trading DeBrusk for spare parts. Lavoie is an unknown right now but I like his size and believe he could be a player that would fit well in Boston long term plan. Plus they would get a first rounder that they could use to stock up their prospects pool or trade the pick to fill another hole in their current roster.

Mikko is definitely not a first choice by any means but he has experience and could surprise people. I don’t think you could get both a 1st rounder and a good prospect from Edmonton without take some salary back in one way or another (ie: Kassian).

Plus it’s only one season. If it works great or if not you can move on. I don’t think Boston is going to make huge changes and if they are able to and have the capspace they should use it. Boston could always sent him to the minors or trade him later on in the season for a 7th or something.

I would not have Swayman and Vlader as a pair to start the season. One of them should be the starter in the ahl so they can continue to develop. You could rotate between them as need since they both are on two-way. I think Boston would need to sign a goalie with some experience. Most decent goalies would be around 2 million at least. While Mikko makes 4.5, unless Boston is going to make a ton of moves this off season and spend to the cap I think it’s doable to have an overpaid goalie on the roster because they have two young goalie prospects. If Swayman or Vlader are the starter and play well it doesn’t really matter who’s sitting on the bench. I don’t think Halak is going to be back in Boston with the way the season end but I’d be happy if he was.

I hope Rask returns and when healthy is their number 1. If Boston can make an agreement with Rask and have him ready for the playoffs that would be great before making this trade. Look at what Tampa bay did this year.

I think this trade idea really depends on how Boston wants to use their capspace.

Yeah that is fair - I just mean Rask has already said its Boston or he is done with the NHL. He will definitely resign providing the Bruins give him some respectable coin. That being said, I hope he takes a cut from the current salary he has - perhaps a 1 year 4.5. He starts the season on LTIR and we free that cap space for deadline trades.

Swayman looked pretty composed in net - but that is fair to keep one up of Vladar or Swayman (to be honest the eyeball test and their technical play, Swayman looks to be the much better goalie - not to mention we have Keyser to groom as well).

As for Mikko, I would be taking my chances on other UFA's out there, rather than paying him 4.5 - I mean Mike Smith, Rinne, Raanta, Dubnyk, Halak, Rittach Mrazek, Andersen, Ullmark are all UFA this coming season. So there are more cost effective options out there that would allow them to shore up another top 4 D man.

As for the Bruins cap space, it would be nice to see Krecji take a discount along with Rask - perhaps do a 2 to 4 year 6 million a year to Hall - let Kase walk unless he signs a 1 million dollar deal. Resign Mike Reilly, but the bigger question will be what do they resign Carlo for. Jack Ahcan, looked pretty solid in Providence this year, so I am sure he will get a crack on the big club next camp - so this offseason and the expansion draft will be very fun to watch.
Jun. 14, 2021 at 11:06 p.m.
Boston14
Edited Jun. 14, 2021 at 11:12 p.m.
Rask heathy is a top ten goalie in the league but if he wants to win in Boston then I hope he take a team friendly deal. I think under 4 million would be what I hope for in a new deal.

I like Vlader size and he has a bit more experience at the pro level. He was called up first this season and played well early on then Swayman came up. Swayman stole the headlines but Vlader has a good chance of being an nhl level goalie. Swayman played well in most games but you could see he was still pretty green. I think Boston would be better to take a bit longer approach with him like they did with Rask years ago.

I would only consider take on Mikko to get more value out of a deal for Debrusk. There are some good options just depends on Boston’s plan.

Smith> great goalie but pass his time/ not likely to leave Edmonton
Rinne > a good veteran that may have one more run in him
Raanta > not the most consistent goalie
Dubnyk > very hot and cold. Not high on my list
Halak > I think he’ll explore other options where he’ll be the backup at least with no questions marks. But maybe he and his family love the city so they stay
Rittich > probably wouldn’t be the best mentor for Swayman/ Vlader.
Mrazek > will have multiple options and will probably want term. One of the more proven goalie on the market
Ullmark > probably wouldn’t be able to handle a large workload so Swayman/ Vlader would definitely get their time in the crease. I know Boston added Hall and it worked out fine but I think adding Sabres in general is not a recipe for success lol
Andersen > is the top ufa goalie available. I would like him on a prove it deal and him in the starting role if Rask doesn’t return. It would be hilarious if Boston met Toronto in the playoff next year and he steals the series haha

I don’t think Boston needs to go crazy this off season and should be smart about potential moves. I hope Krecji returns and value wise around 4 million. But there will be a demand for him on the open market. Hall as well but I would not give him more than Marchand. I agree about Kase. I feel for him and hope he can get his career back. Such bad luck

The backend is a big question mark still. I didn’t love Reilly as much, I was hoping for more of an impact. He skates and passes well but he never really looked overly dangerous. I would prefer Boston looks for an upgrade or taking a chance on another player.

I’m a bit concerned about Carlo and his injury history. As long as his contract not crazy I’ll take him any day but if he’s asking for too much Boston maybe better suited trading him.

Ahcan is a bit undersized. But if he can chip in a few goals at the nhl level I would give him a shot. The minor league dmen I’m most interested in is Lyle. But it would be nice if they’re both pushing for spots in the lineup. I think both start in the ahl next year and get a chance mostly due to injury.

I hope Seattle doesn’t pick Lauzon. Personally I see him as a good fit in Cassidy’s system and he has potential to really develop. Same with Clifton.

Overall I think there likely only one roster spot on the backend (if Boston doesn’t do a major shake up) and I think Boston should be looking at adding a power play quarterback.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll