Forums/Armchair-GM

This Little PEGgy Went to Market

Created by: Quillanrocks
Team: 2021-22 Winnipeg Jets
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 3, 2021
Published: Jul. 3, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
- In preparation for Seattle expansion, Jets make some tough decisions regarding players to protect and how.
- Again, this AGM runs with the theme that Copp's uncertain future with the team could precipitate a move.
- Also identified a solid defensive add, courtesy of a couple Dallas AGM's that suggested there may be a potential fit.
- Winnipeg adds depth pieces at forward --- players with experience and can play various positions, that can potentially move up and down in the lineup --- but the "opening night" roster reflects a (hopeful) youth movement at most positions. (But YES, the pieces are there to eventually ice the typical Jets roster . . . experience over youth.)
- Heinola makes the team, bumping Stanley to begin the season. Paired with the addition of Hakanpaa for an intriguing Finnish third pairing!
- Perfetti, too, starts the season on the wing . . . the Jets want to see his 9 game NHL "audition" before making the tough decision on NHL versus another year in junior.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$875,000
2$855,000
3$895,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$5,500,000
2$1,150,000
1$750,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,750,000
2$1,750,000
1$1,950,000
2$1,500,000
2$960,000
1$760,000
1$860,000
1$850,000
1$890,000
Trades
WPG
  1. Girgensons, Zemgus
  2. Laaksonen, Oskari
  3. 2021 2nd round pick (BOS)
Additional Details:
Facing the potential of a second arbitration hearing with Copp, the Jets trade him for futures and a depth forward, allowing Winnipeg to safely protect Appleton against expansion selection.
BUF
  1. Copp, Andrew [RFA Rights]
WPG
    Expansion Draft Considerations **
    SEA
    1. Holm, Arvid
    2. Johannesson, Anton [Reserve List]
    3. 2021 2nd round pick (BOS)
    WPG
    SEA
    1. Beaulieu, Nathan
    Additional Details:
    Expansion Draft Selection

* * Earlier assets received on the condition Seattle select this player.
    WPG
    1. Lindell, Esa
    2. 2022 4th round pick (DAL)
    Additional Details:
    (Got the idea for this trade by a Stars fan who traded Lindell in 2 separate AGM's --- hate to lose Vesalainen but strengthening the defense is sorely required. Lindell is a solid top-four defenseman with ample term, to Chevy's liking.)
    DAL
    1. Niku, Sami
    2. Vesalainen, Kristian
    3. 2022 3rd round pick (CBJ)
    4. 2023 2nd round pick (WPG)
    Additional Details:
    - If the Jets advance to the Stanley Cup finals in either of the next 2 seasons, the 2023 2nd round pick becomes a first round selection.
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the WPG
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    22$81,500,000$77,129,646$145,122$557,500$4,370,354
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
    $7,142,857$7,142,857
    LW
    UFA - 5
    $6,125,000$6,125,000
    C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $8,250,000$8,250,000
    RW
    NMC
    UFA - 3
    $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
    LW, C
    RFA - 3
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 4
    $725,000$725,000
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $3,250,000$3,250,000
    C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 5
    $900,000$900,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $817,500$817,500 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
    LW, C
    RFA - 1
    $1,950,000$1,950,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    LW, RW, C
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    Logo of the Dallas Stars
    $5,800,000$5,800,000
    LD
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    RD
    UFA - 4
    $6,166,667$6,166,667
    G
    UFA - 3
    $6,250,000$6,250,000
    LD
    UFA - 7
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $863,333$863,333
    LD
    RFA - 3
    $1,750,000$1,750,000
    RD
    UFA - 3
    $1,750,000$1,750,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $1,150,000$1,150,000
    LD
    RFA - 2
    $5,291,667$5,291,667
    C, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
    $2,200,000$2,200,000
    LW, C
    UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jul. 3, 2021 at 1:59 p.m.
    I would rather lose Stanley then give up a 2nd and a very good D prospect to protect him. Also the Jets could get more back for Copp, like a Vince Dunn or pay a bit more for a Sam Reinhart.
    Quillanrocks liked this.
    Jul. 3, 2021 at 2:07 p.m.
    Quoting: njlaf705
    I would rather lose Stanley then give up a 2nd and a very good D prospect to protect him. Also the Jets could get more back for Copp, like a Vince Dunn or pay a bit more for a Sam Reinhart.

All very good possibilities. I actually think I agree with you on losing Stanley, but I also try to imagine what Chevy might do. (?) The assets traded to Seattle are to have them select Beaulieu over several "better" options Seattle has to choose from . . . Stanley, Niku, Berdin, Harkins. Chevy is famous for wanting to hang on to the assets he acquires, both through trade and the draft. I'd be surprised if he doesn't pay some sort of price to sway Seattle in some way.

What are your thoughts on the Lindell trade??
    Jul. 3, 2021 at 2:20 p.m.
    I'd rather the Jets just let Seattle take who they want. Plus the Jets should trade Copp for something they need that can play now, if they move him, as opposed to waiting for a long shot prospect.
    Quillanrocks liked this.
    Jul. 3, 2021 at 2:33 p.m.

Quoting: Windjammer
    I'd rather the Jets just let Seattle take who they want. Plus the Jets should trade Copp for something they need that can play now, if they move him, as opposed to waiting for a long shot prospect.

You're both right about Copp and the disappointing return. I just keep going back to the idea that Copp will price himself out of Winnipeg's long-term plans and if that's the case --- and if perhaps all he'll commit to is a 1 year deal or threatens arbitration (which will be the end result anyway) --- I would hate to see Appleton lost to Seattle just to have Copp walk in a year, anyway. So the premise is a deal PRE-EXPANSION where Appleton remains protected. Perhaps they get back more, but then there are protection issues, again, if they add a roster player that helps this season, etc. (?)

I honestly have no qualms with Seattle taking Stanley, though. With Heinola and Samberg right there, he can't afford a backward step IMO, and I think he may slide this next season, Hope I'm wrong.
    Windjammer liked this.
    Jul. 3, 2021 at 3:29 p.m.
    Yeah most Stars fans think the team could compete without Lindell babysitting Klingberg, yeah right, if Lindell is gone they might as well blow it up the defense is the main thing that makes middle of the pack teams playoff contenders.
    Jul. 3, 2021 at 3:47 p.m.
    Quoting: g0rd0l0c0
    Yeah most Stars fans think the team could compete without Lindell babysitting Klingberg, yeah right, if Lindell is gone they might as well blow it up the defense is the main thing that makes middle of the pack teams playoff contenders.

Not sure if your post is being critical of a lot of your fans, or of me for sharing how I got the idea of trading for Lindell from a Dallas fan. (?) If it's the latter, check out some recent AGM's by TheMooterus.
    Jul. 3, 2021 at 4:24 p.m.
    With 4.5 in cap space why not sign someone to play LW2 if perfetti doesnt stick this season. Get someone on a 1 year deal if you want (stastny) or a few more years (saad, tatar)
    Jul. 3, 2021 at 4:33 p.m.
    Quoting: Quillanrocks
    Not sure if your post is being critical of a lot of your fans, or of me for sharing how I got the idea of trading for Lindell from a Dallas fan. (?) If it's the latter, check out some recent AGM's by TheMooterus.

Sorry, yes critical of dumb Stars fans. Unless Dallas decides to blow it up which all signs point to them trying to make another run to playoffs with this group. But if they did yeah targeting Lindell would be a good move for the Jets, severely under appreciated here and Canadian fans would understand the value his skill set. Maybe a different return if they were rebuilding maybe send another prospect with him like Mascherin and get a first round pick this year (since you know already it’s a later pick having made the second round of playoffs) or maybe a second and third this year, but I’m not familiar with all of the moves Winnipeg could make and how close they might be to going all in next year so that might be against their interests too.
    Quillanrocks liked this.
    Jul. 3, 2021 at 5:07 p.m.
    Quoting: g0rd0l0c0
    Sorry, yes critical of dumb Stars fans. Unless Dallas decides to blow it up which all signs point to them trying to make another run to playoffs with this group. But if they did yeah targeting Lindell would be a good move for the Jets, severely under appreciated here and Canadian fans would understand the value his skill set. Maybe a different return if they were rebuilding maybe send another prospect with him like Mascherin and get a first round pick this year (since you know already it’s a later pick having made the second round of playoffs) or maybe a second and third this year, but I’m not familiar with all of the moves Winnipeg could make and how close they might be to going all in next year so that might be against their interests too.

I would hope that the Jets would be very open to trading quality assets for a solid defenseman like Lindell, someone in his prime with that kind of shutdown ability and ample term left on his contract. But I could write a book on SO many players, of all shapes an sizes, that have been traded to other teams for a price that left me scratching my head, wondering "why the hell were the Jets not in on this one?!" Lol
    Jul. 3, 2021 at 5:16 p.m.
    Quoting: Islesforthecup
    With 4.5 in cap space why not sign someone to play LW2 if perfetti doesnt stick this season. Get someone on a 1 year deal if you want (stastny) or a few more years (saad, tatar)

I thought about signing someone else, but I also really hope the Jets give some of their youth a LONG look this season . . . Harkins, Gustafsson, (Vesalainen), and I think even Perfetti. I hope Jets don't bring back Stastny, to be honest. All I think it does is muddle up the center situation and I feel it's imperative Dubois play 2C full-time this season, for better or worse.
    Jul. 3, 2021 at 7:24 p.m.
    All very good possibilities. I actually think I agree with you on losing Stanley, but I also try to imagine what Chevy might do. (?) The assets traded to Seattle are to have them select Beaulieu over several "better" options Seattle has to choose from . . . Stanley, Niku, Berdin, Harkins. Chevy is famous for wanting to hang on to the assets he acquires, both through trade and the draft. I'd be surprised if he doesn't pay some sort of price to sway Seattle in some way.

What are your thoughts on the Lindell trade??

I think they don't need him. If they trade for any defensemen it should be Josh Manson. Manson is like Trouba and JMo was amazing with Trouba. With Manson and without Stanley the d-lines should be...

JMo - Manson
    Samberg - Pionk
    Heinola - DeMelo

If the Jets were to not get any new blue liners and still have DeMelo and Stanley the lines should be...

JMo - DeMelo
    Heinola- Pionk
    Stanley - Samberg
    Jul. 3, 2021 at 7:53 p.m.
    I think they don't need him. If they trade for any defensemen it should be Josh Manson. Manson is like Trouba and JMo was amazing with Trouba. With Manson and without Stanley the d-lines should be...

JMo - Manson
    Samberg - Pionk
    Heinola - DeMelo

If the Jets were to not get any new blue liners and still have DeMelo and Stanley the lines should be...

JMo - DeMelo
    Heinola- Pionk
    Stanley - Samberg

I like Manson, too. Problem is Winnipeg was reported to be on his 12 team NO list at the deadline. Even if he somehow changed his mind, he's UFA in a year and Anaheim wants a haul for him. Not ideal.

Also, while I get the excitement in Heinola and Samberg, I don't think icing a d-core with 2 rookies (2 rookies and a sophomore in your second scenario) will spell improvement in the defensive zone.
    Jul. 3, 2021 at 8:03 p.m.
    I thought about signing someone else, but I also really hope the Jets give some of their youth a LONG look this season . . . Harkins, Gustafsson, (Vesalainen), and I think even Perfetti. I hope Jets don't bring back Stastny, to be honest. All I think it does is muddle up the center situation and I feel it's imperative Dubois play 2C full-time this season, for better or worse.

So get someone else and give perfetti a shot on the 3rd line and harkins on the 4th or something, but you have a really solid team and it would be foolish imo to take a chance and what happens if perfetti cant stick it in the nhl let alone top 6 on a competing team? Its not like youre gonna have top 6 guys waiting around in fa by the time that decision is made. So you just threw away a year of this core.
    Jul. 3, 2021 at 8:31 p.m.
    Edited Jul. 3, 2021 at 11:13 p.m.
    Quoting: Islesforthecup
    So get someone else and give perfetti a shot on the 3rd line and harkins on the 4th or something, but you have a really solid team and it would be foolish imo to take a chance and what happens if perfetti cant stick it in the nhl let alone top 6 on a competing team? Its not like youre gonna have top 6 guys waiting around in fa by the time that decision is made. So you just threw away a year of this core.

It's certainly fun to imagine---the Jets landing Tatar or Hyman, perhaps . . . maybe Schwartz---but for a multitude of reasons, the lower-tier UFA's available "at the end" are the players the Jets seem to end up with. Bringing back Perreault & signing Bozak are more Winnipeg's "speed." Besides, whatever money Jets ownership allows Chevy to spend should be used to improve the defense, which I addressed.

Speaking of which, if your team needs help with their cap situation, I'm sure the Jets would be happy to take Pulock off your hands! (Fat chance, I know!)
    Jul. 3, 2021 at 10:02 p.m.
    I like Manson, too. Problem is Winnipeg was reported to be on his 12 team NO list at the deadline. Even if he somehow changed his mind, he's UFA in a year and Anaheim wants a haul for him. Not ideal.

Also, while I get the excitement in Heinola and Samberg, I don't think icing a d-core with 2 rookies (2 rookies and a sophomore in your second scenario) will spell improvement in the defensive zone.

The current roster seems to be out of their window. It is not about a cup run this coming year. They need to take a step back, re-tool, and play the youth. Heinola, Samberg, Perfetti, Vesalainen and Gustafsson are too good to play in the AHL and need a spot on the roster this year. If they don't step back and re-tool then they will turn into the Penguins and be trading futures every year to try and push themselves back into contention when they would be better off to use those futures and open a new longer window.
    Quillanrocks liked this.
    Jul. 3, 2021 at 11:10 p.m.
    The current roster seems to be out of their window. It is not about a cup run this coming year. They need to take a step back, re-tool, and play the youth. Heinola, Samberg, Perfetti, Vesalainen and Gustafsson are too good to play in the AHL and need a spot on the roster this year. If they don't step back and re-tool then they will turn into the Penguins and be trading futures every year to try and push themselves back into contention when they would be better off to use those futures and open a new longer window.

Respectfully, I must disagree. The core of this team is in it's prime and they should see their window as very wide open still. The Jets need to find a balance between building around that core with both youth and the right acquisitions, but I have little worry that Cheveldayoff will sacrifice future assets---especially after this past trade deadline---unless he feels supremely confident the move will help the team compete now AND in the future.

Pittsburgh is a poor example. They won 3 Stanley Cups. When you win one, and when you do your utmost to keep elite players and a core together, you want to win it again and again, and you will sacrifice tomorrow for the immediate to do so . . . to do whatever you can to keep that window open.

Long and short of it, I want to see the teams youth be given more opportunity, but I also think this team could very well contend with some changes and 2 or 3 new pieces added. If the right deal emerges, I would hope Chevy capitalizes.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll