Forums/Armchair-GM

Deadline

Created by: Erkadurk347
Team: 2021-22 New Jersey Devils
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 1, 2022
Published: Jan. 3, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I think that Blackwood should sit out from the deadline until next season. It's already confirmed that he is going to play through his heel injury that he's had since last season/summer. I think he should rest and hopefully next year, the Devils are contending for the playoffs with him as the backbone, while fully healthy.

I also would love to see wood play with Hughes. Both are fast and that adds grit to the top line. Obviously this only happens if wood returns from his injury.
Trades
NJD
  1. Holl, Justin
  2. 2022 1st round pick (TOR)
TOR
  1. Boqvist, Jesper
  2. Severson, Damon ($2,083,333 retained)
NJD
  1. 2024 7th round pick (ANA)
Additional Details:
Anywhere
NJD
  1. Koskinen, Mikko
  2. 2022 2nd round pick (EDM)
  3. 2023 5th round pick (EDM)
Additional Details:
Only happens if they find a better and possibly cheaper goalie at the deadline.
EDM
  1. Tatar, Tomas ($2,250,000 retained)
  2. Vesey, Jimmy
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Recapture Fees
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the ANA
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$67,988,902$0$4,157,500$13,511,098

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
C
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
RFA - 4
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$7,250,000$7,250,000
C
UFA - 6
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$2,250,000$2,250,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RW, C
RFA - 3
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,825,000$1,825,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$975,000$975,000
C
RFA - 2
$825,000$825,000
RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,166,667$3,166,667
LD
UFA - 2
$9,000,000$9,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 7
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$4,500,000$4,500,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,125,000$1,125,000
LD
UFA - 2
$9,000,000$9,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
LD/RD
RFA - 2
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$795,000$795,000 (Performance Bonus$107,500$108K)
LD
RFA - 2
$912,500$912,500 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RW
RFA - 1
$2,800,000$2,800,000
G
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333
LW
RFA - 3
$4,125,000$4,125,000
G
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 3, 2022 at 11:13 a.m.
Speak of the Devil
Bernier is out for the year so Blackwood sitting out wouldn't be possible
Jan. 3, 2022 at 11:17 a.m.
Leafs accept
Jan. 3, 2022 at 11:19 a.m.
Quoting: Devil1122
Bernier is out for the year so Blackwood sitting out wouldn't be possible

Can you put a link to an article that says he’s out for the year? Not saying ur wrong, I just can’t find anything that says that he’ll be out for that long and I’m curious. If that’s the case, then I’ll edit this and sign or trade for a third string goalie to play as the backup.
Jan. 3, 2022 at 11:20 a.m.
And any trades at deadline shoud start with PK. We can argue the pkg. but he's gotta be moved for whatever, wherever.
Severson wont be moved for anything but overpayment, and moving him is also up for argument. Mosy likely thats during the sunmer or next yr. Watching them be down briefly to 4 D would have been a nightmare without Sevs there.
Jan. 3, 2022 at 11:28 a.m.
Quoting: Smitty426
And any trades at deadline shoud start with PK. We can argue the pkg. but he's gotta be moved for whatever, wherever.
Severson wont be moved for anything but overpayment, and moving him is also up for argument. Mosy likely thats during the sunmer or next yr. Watching them be down briefly to 4 D would have been a nightmare without Sevs there.

Fair statement on severson. However whenever anyone does a post about Subban, everyone comments that they don’t want Subban. I can’t blame them. He has played A LOT better than his previous 2 seasons with NJ. But he is still a liability defensively. Tries to do too much offensively. Can’t control his body (not trying to be funny, but he has no body control and always accidentally slew foots people. Either happens or almost happens once a game). Nobody wants him. Also if we retain 50%, teams still have to make room for 4.5 million dollars. In a flat cap world and for probably their bottom pairing dman, it isn’t worth it. So it’s much easier said than done when referring to moving subban
Jan. 3, 2022 at 11:30 a.m.
Drover006
Leafs will need to like boqvist a whole lot for that. While I want a severson trade I feel like it will be a BIG trade and more than just boqvist coming and more than a 1st and Holl going
Jan. 3, 2022 at 11:33 a.m.
Quoting: SomethingLeafs
Leafs will need to like boqvist a whole lot for that. While I want a severson trade I feel like it will be a BIG trade and more than just boqvist coming and more than a 1st and Holl going

The devils are retaining 50% for your right handed top 4 dman for this year and next year. If anything, the leafs have to add. I would do this if I were the devils gm, but I don’t want leads fans complaining that they are getting robbed. Divas accepts this in a heartbeat. Especially if he is interested in severson. Ya aren’t getting anything cheaper for a proven top four right handed dman for half salary for this year and next. Also a first round pick and a top four dman in any trade is a big trade. Don’t know what more excitement ya wanna see
Jan. 3, 2022 at 11:39 a.m.
Speak of the Devil
Quoting: Erkadurk347
Can you put a link to an article that says he’s out for the year? Not saying ur wrong, I just can’t find anything that says that he’ll be out for that long and I’m curious. If that’s the case, then I’ll edit this and sign or trade for a third string goalie to play as the backup.

Ruff was also concerned about Bernier's long-term health due to hip injury. "I am worried. We’re all concerned about long term where this is going to go and what direction it’ll end up going. Worried and very concerned." Ruff said.

There hasn't been an official statement by the team saying Bernier is done for the year but all signs are pointing that Bernier is likely done for the year and maybe his career
Erkadurk347 liked this.
Jan. 3, 2022 at 11:51 a.m.
Deleted
Leafs take that and run, and probably call you back in a few weeks to give you Ritchie tears of joy
Tintin liked this.
Jan. 3, 2022 at 11:56 a.m.
Quoting: Nate
Leafs take that and run, and probably call you back in a few weeks to give you Ritchie tears of joy

What do you think seversons value is? Only answer if you’ve actually watched him play more than five games in your life. I think the leafs accept. They don’t take it and run. It seems like ur overvaluing him by a lot
Jan. 3, 2022 at 12:27 p.m.
Deleted
What do you think seversons value is? Only answer if you’ve actually watched him play more than five games in your life. I think the leafs accept. They don’t take it and run. It seems like ur overvaluing him by a lot

Im been watching Severson more and more recently due to the sheer amount of ACGM's sending him to Toronto, and Im a fan of his game. In any sense, he is a clear upgrade over Holl and younger. The only issue I see here is that the Leafs would be forced to move a guy like Ritchie to make the cap work, and also to leave Toronto with enough capspace in the offseason to resign Campbell, Sandin, Liljegren, etc. With the retention, Severson makes just a touch more than Holl.I do think the Leafs take that and run, as we will likely have to trade Holl anyways due to the cap situation, and we also get a clear upgrade in the defensive end of things
Jan. 3, 2022 at 12:52 p.m.
Fair statement on severson. However whenever anyone does a post about Subban, everyone comments that they don’t want Subban. I can’t blame them. He has played A LOT better than his previous 2 seasons with NJ. But he is still a liability defensively. Tries to do too much offensively. Can’t control his body (not trying to be funny, but he has no body control and always accidentally slew foots people. Either happens or almost happens once a game). Nobody wants him. Also if we retain 50%, teams still have to make room for 4.5 million dollars. In a flat cap world and for probably their bottom pairing dman, it isn’t worth it. So it’s much easier said than done when referring to moving subban

Agree on everything above. First thing I would add is that Fitz should find a 3rd party that has cap space willing to take on $2.5M in cap space (really dollars is far less, PK has been been paid $6M + this summer, his actually pay check is nothing right now). I will use Detroit for my example. Subban and a 4th round pick to Detroit for 50% off ($4.5M). Detroit then sends PK retained (total of 75% of his $9M cap I believe= $2.25M) to original team Devs made deal with (Team A).

TRADE LOOKS LIKE:
Devs-assets from trade from Team A
Detroit-4th round pick for picking up a portion of PK to Team A
Team A- PK at $2.25M of cap and whatever is remaining real out of pocket dollars

PK is not the player he was in Mont or even Nash, but at $2.5 for a RHD with a heavy shot etc he will have value at trade time. He's player 19 min a game and currently .4 pts per. Yes the slewfoot isue and other warts but Savard and Ristolanin got a 1st last year so GMs get crazy as TDL comes.

All of this is similar to Savard and FolignoTrades last year
Jan. 3, 2022 at 1:00 p.m.
Quoting: Nate
Im been watching Severson more and more recently due to the sheer amount of ACGM's sending him to Toronto, and Im a fan of his game. In any sense, he is a clear upgrade over Holl and younger. The only issue I see here is that the Leafs would be forced to move a guy like Ritchie to make the cap work, and also to leave Toronto with enough capspace in the offseason to resign Campbell, Sandin, Liljegren, etc. With the retention, Severson makes just a touch more than Holl.I do think the Leafs take that and run, as we will likely have to trade Holl anyways due to the cap situation, and we also get a clear upgrade in the defensive end of things

All good points, but I think Severson if moved is for something like a package with Tampa for a Cal Foote as a Severson replacement. Not saying Tampa does this, but we need bodies now to compete. Growing picks is need but we need to start playing relevant players and games shortly, its been too long of a build (3x)
Jan. 3, 2022 at 1:14 p.m.
If this trade is before this years deadline, leafs would have to add a better piece than Holl.

Would need to beat least Niemela or Liljegren or someone similar.
Smitty426 liked this.
Jan. 3, 2022 at 1:22 p.m.
Quoting: Smitty426
All good points, but I think Severson if moved is for something like a package with Tampa for a Cal Foote as a Severson replacement. Not saying Tampa does this, but we need bodies now to compete. Growing picks is need but we need to start playing relevant players and games shortly, its been too long of a build (3x)

I think it would take a lot more than Foote. Over the past two seasons, Severson has been playing like a top-pair d-man. Righty too. Risto got a top-15 pick+ and Savard got a 1st+, each for one year (both worse than Severson, with less term). Would probably be Foote plus 1st for Sevs retained.
Jan. 3, 2022 at 2:14 p.m.
Quoting: NHLfan10506
I think it would take a lot more than Foote. Over the past two seasons, Severson has been playing like a top-pair d-man. Righty too. Risto got a top-15 pick+ and Savard got a 1st+, each for one year (both worse than Severson, with less term). Would probably be Foote plus 1st for Sevs retained.

Yeah I know thats why I said "like a pkg...."
There are many Devs fans out here that love to hate on Severson though, its a mixed bag.
Jan. 3, 2022 at 2:18 p.m.
do not Devil my ass
Thoughts on Sevs from another ACGM: "I'd want more from the Leafs. Muzzin trade is a decent comp to any Severson deal.
Bonafide top 4 RD 50% retained this season and next should net the equivalent of a 1st and a real good prospect, especially if Devils are taking cap back as well."
The trade you submitted here is way off Severson's actually value.

I can accept the point you make about Mac, as "we" are unlikely to make the playoffs anyway.
If Devils were to acquire another veteran goalie in order to let Mac rest and maybe even get surgery Koskinen isn't the worst target.
Nor would I mind sending Tatar with 50% retention along with Vesey in that same trade either. But you'd have to get way more back as Devils are providing Oilers with soooo much cap space in this deal.
For taking Koskinen's cap, retaining a top 6 W in Tatar and a cheap, versatile depth piece in Vesey you'd have to get EDM 1st back and a bit more.

Subban is having a good season and he should fetch a decent return, like a 2nd or B-level prospect from some contending team.

I can't accept putting Wood with any other center than McLeod though. He is one of the few wingers that can mesh well with McLeod's one dimensionality and actually make our 4th line an asset and not a liability. Also, makes no sense in breaking up Sharangovich - Hughes - Bratt, they're dominating the opposition and I can't see that being the case with Wood in there instead.
Jan. 3, 2022 at 4:33 p.m.
Drover006
The devils are retaining 50% for your right handed top 4 dman for this year and next year. If anything, the leafs have to add. I would do this if I were the devils gm, but I don’t want leads fans complaining that they are getting robbed. Divas accepts this in a heartbeat. Especially if he is interested in severson. Ya aren’t getting anything cheaper for a proven top four right handed dman for half salary for this year and next. Also a first round pick and a top four dman in any trade is a big trade. Don’t know what more excitement ya wanna see

Idk where your getting cheaper from I said both sides add. I think leafs will target a d and a fwd in a trade and the few would be better than boqvist
Jan. 3, 2022 at 8:24 p.m.
Quoting: PaulieWalnuts
Thoughts on Sevs from another ACGM: "I'd want more from the Leafs. Muzzin trade is a decent comp to any Severson deal.
Bonafide top 4 RD 50% retained this season and next should net the equivalent of a 1st and a real good prospect, especially if Devils are taking cap back as well."
The trade you submitted here is way off Severson's actually value.

I can accept the point you make about Mac, as "we" are unlikely to make the playoffs anyway.
If Devils were to acquire another veteran goalie in order to let Mac rest and maybe even get surgery Koskinen isn't the worst target.
Nor would I mind sending Tatar with 50% retention along with Vesey in that same trade either. But you'd have to get way more back as Devils are providing Oilers with soooo much cap space in this deal.
For taking Koskinen's cap, retaining a top 6 W in Tatar and a cheap, versatile depth piece in Vesey you'd have to get EDM 1st back and a bit more.

Subban is having a good season and he should fetch a decent return, like a 2nd or B-level prospect from some contending team.

I can't accept putting Wood with any other center than McLeod though. He is one of the few wingers that can mesh well with McLeod's one dimensionality and actually make our 4th line an asset and not a liability. Also, makes no sense in breaking up Sharangovich - Hughes - Bratt, they're dominating the opposition and I can't see that being the case with Wood in there instead.

I’d split up that line due to the fact that holtz might play after the TDL and it would be best for Hughes’ game and Holtz’s game if they play together. I think wood would help them be balanced as he can put up 20 goals. I get what ur saying about wood on the 4th line, but I think wood would thrive with playing with those two guys

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll