SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Mock-Draft

February 2022 Mock with Explanations (Top 32)

February 2022 Mock with Explanations (Top 32)

Draft Class: 2022
Created By: nickthehabsfan
Published: Feb. 18, 2022 at 8:56 p.m.
Lottery Winners:
  1. Logo of the Dallas StarsDallas Stars (15→5)
  2. Logo of the Vancouver CanucksVancouver Canucks (13→3)
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-Love this lottery outcome, this pick is easy right now. Shane Wright is ranked #1 pretty much everywhere, and anyone who doesn't have him #1 is just trying to get clicks. Wright-Suzuki gets me excited if Montreal can get #1, and add Caufield on one of their wings, deadly top 6.
2Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-This is where it gets interesting, and where I disagree with most people. I do not see Cooley as the clear #2 in this draft and I think that there are better options available. I also think that if you are selecting #2, you shouldn't go by team need and go BPA. IMO the BPA is Nemec. If Arizona decides to draft Nemec and they don't trade Chychrun, that would be a deadly top pairing to show their 5,000 fans.
3Logo of the Vancouver Canucks-Vancouver gets lucky here, moving up from 13 to 3. If Vancouver nails on this pick they could be in the playoffs next season. Vancouver has a glaring need on the blueline but as I said above you need to go BPA this early, plus I don't think taking Jiricek at #3 is a great idea. I think Vancouver goes with a winger that can score goals. Kemell would be perfect on Pettersson's wing and I think they would make a dynamic duo.
4Logo of the Seattle Kraken-Seattle has Beniers and not much else in the pipeline. I think Seattle will be looking for a #1D or a top line winger. With Nemec off the board, Seattle will be deciding between Slafovsky, Savoie, and Cooley. Personally I prefer Savoie so that's who I have them taking.
5Logo of the Dallas Stars-This pick is hard to make. When I look at Dallas I think they could use a RD or a center. Based on who's available I think Dallas would go Cooley here, and leave Jiricek for someone else.
6Logo of the Ottawa Senators-This is where I think Jiricek goes. Ottawa has strong prospects everywhere, so considering I am a big fan of Jiricek's this is a good pick. Chabot - Jiricek would be a good future pairing.
7Logo of the New Jersey Devils-I think that New Jersey wants some physicality. They have skill with Hughes, Hischer, L. Hughes, Hamilton, Mercer, etc. Slafkovsky has not played that well in Liiga, but he is playing about 13 minutes a night (per Liiga site), and in elevated roles Slafkovsky has played well and shown he is NHL ready or close to it.
8Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-Philly doesn't have a glaring need over anything else right now, so they go with BPA. IMO its between Lambert and Yurov, I prefer Yurov so I'll go with that but I could see the argument for Lambert.
9Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-With Power and Dahlin I don't think Buffalo reaches on a D man. Just following up on my pick before, now is the time for Lambert.
10Logo of the New York Islanders-The Islanders could use a 2C or a D man. It could go either way, but I like a couple of D man this year and I think they could/should go in the top 15. One of those guys is Mateychuk. He's near ppg in the WHL and I think he could be very good. A concern people might have is his height as he is 5'10'' - 5'11'' (depends where you look). I don't think that is a big concern at the moment, but I could understand someone's reasoning if they think that way. He could be one of the guys that goes higher than expected like Boucher or Johnston last year.
11Logo of the Columbus Blue JacketsLogo of the Chicago BlackhawksColumbus should be charged with robbery. The Seth Jones trade is so good for the Blue Jackets as they pick #11. The way I see this scenario going is CBJ going BPA with one of the picks and then taking another the other position with the second 1st that they have. I think the BPA available right now is Geekie.
12Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-As I said with the last pick, CBJ should take a D man now, with taking Geekie at 11. The best D men imo are Mintyukov and Nelson. Their average rankings are both 22 and they both are basically on the same pace. I'll Mintyukov just because he is a little taller, but it could go either way.
13Logo of the San Jose Sharks-This pick would be a great story line. Lekkerimäki and Eklund are teammates in the SHL and they have great chemistry so if SJS can draft both they would play really well together in the NHL.
14Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-Detroit is pretty much set everywhere, they just need time, so I think they can afford to take a risky pick and possibly miss. From everything I've seen Miroshnichenko has red flags but he could become a good player.
15Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-With the Jets taking forwards the past two years, I think that they will go with a D man. Plus when you look at their team page they only have 2 D prospects. As I said in the Mintyukov pick, I think Nelson is the next best D so I have the Jets taking him.
16Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-The Ducks are coming out of a rebuild, and because of that I don't see them as having a big need. Because of that I think they go with the BPA which is Frank Nazar. Some might be surprised he fell to here but it is what it is...
17Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-Taking Clarke last year really rounded out this team to a point where there are no big needs. Like Anaheim the pick before I think LA goes BPA. IMO its between Del Bel Belluz, Casey, and Trikozov. I prefer Del Bel Belluz so I'll have the Kings taking him.
18Logo of the Edmonton Oilers-The Oilers have one problem and it's not a secret. If they don't trade for Chychrun they NEED to draft a defensemen, preferably a RHD. This is perfect for them as Casey and Chesley are both available. I prefer Casey, as Chesley's stats have not been impressive this year, I wouldn't be surprised if he drops out of the 1st round.
19Logo of the Boston Bruins-Boston is an interesting one. I think with Boston, their biggest need is getting some secondary scoring. Wether they trade this pick for someone like that (Hertl comes to mind) or by drafting someone, that's where I think they wanted to improve. They also showed that need last year when they drafted Lysell. As I said in the Belluz (someone tell me if his last name is Del Bel Belluz, Del Belluz, or Belluz) I think Trikozov is the next best forward.
20Logo of the Buffalo SabresLogo of the Vegas Golden KnightsWith Buffalo's second pick in the 1st round I think they go with the opposite of what they took with their first pick. Considering I have them taking Lambert, I think they go D with this pick. I think best case scenario they take someone right handed to pair with Dahlin or Power. There are 3 RD's who are available right now that can go here. Chesley, Salomonsson, and Luneau. The best one IMO is Luneau , but I think there are much better LD's available and I would think Buffalo would realize that and save drafting a RD for later. I think Korchinski is a great pick as he is just under a P/G in the WHL. If anyone was wondering Artyom Duda and Mats Lindgren were the other D men I was considering at this pick.
21Logo of the Nashville Predators-Nashville is another team that is playing surprisingly well this year. Everybody knows they are really good on the blueline, so I think they look at some scoring at this pick. It's between Adam Ingram, Alexander Perevalov, and Jiri Kulich for me and I prefer Perevalov.
22Logo of the St. Louis Blues-Hopefully this is Montreal's pick from a Chariot trade but I digress. St. Louis. If the Blues don't trade this pick for a D man I think they draft one with this pick. I think Mats Lindgren is the best D man available at this pick so I think the Blues would take him.
23Logo of the Montreal CanadiensLogo of the Calgary FlamesNow Montreal, my favorite team if you couldn't tell already. Considering they took a superstar forward, you'd think they'd go with a D man, but the Habs D pipeline is pretty god, and they have a much bigger need at LW. I think Isaac Howard makes a lot of sense here. He's over a P/G and is committed to UM&D. Another sniper to put on Suzuki or Wright's left while having Caufield on the right is very dangerous.
24Logo of the Washington Capitals-Washington also doesn't have a glaring need other than all their players to become 5 years younger. The Caps also seem to be able to find gems and turn players into good players. I think the Caps would be wiling to take a gamble on Chesley and they might be able to turn him into something.
25Logo of the Minnesota Wild-I think Minny goes BPA. Who that is, now that's a good question. I think it's McGroarty but 10 different guys could go here. Sorry Minny fans for the short description...
26Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs-Toronto needs a gritty playoff leader. Someone like Ben Chiarot. In all seriousness I think Toronto is another team that goes BPA. They don't have any big needs other than to not choke. BPA here is Mesar. He played on the Slovak WJC team and some rankings have him in the top 10. While I'm not as much on the Mesar hype train, he is a good player and should easily go in the 1st round.
27Logo of the New York Rangers-The Rangers are a young up and coming team and I think they would love to add to their stacked prospect pool. BPA once again here and i think it is Jimmy Snuggerud.
28Logo of the Arizona CoyotesLogo of the Carolina HurricanesArizona took Nemec at #2 so I think they take a forward here, especially with the options that are available. I think that Jiri Kulich is a great pick here. He has 8 goals and 13 points in all mens league (Czechia). People have Kulich anywhere from a late first to second rounder. When I think of players that give me similar vibes (not play style) to Kulich I think of Jan Mysak. Kulich also is an NHLe darling which if you couldn't tell plays a big part in my draft decisions.
29Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins-Pittsburgh is a team with a pretty depleted prospect pool, I'd be very surprised if they still have this pick at the draft. Another pick where I think the team just goes BPA. I think that Artyom Duda is a good pick here. He's scoring at historically great paces in the MHL and could become a great two way D with the Pens once Letang retires or signs somewhere else.
30Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning-
Christian Kyrou
Tampa is another team that is great at finding gems. Once again, I'd be surprised if Tampa owns this pick at the draft. I think a gem in this year's draft that probably doesn't go this high but when we redraft 2022 in 5 years should definitely be a first rounder is Christian Kyrou. (Yes he is Jordan's brother). Kyrou is a P/G in the OHL as a D man who didn't play at all last year. That is super impressive, and I think he'll be pretty good, considering he is part of an NHL family (and a good one at that).
31Logo of the Buffalo SabresLogo of the Florida PanthersThe Sabres already took 1F and 1D already so I think they go BPA. Adam Ingram is another NHLe darling and people have him ranked around here. He has 43 points in 35 games (USHL) and could become pretty good.
32Logo of the Arizona CoyotesLogo of the Colorado AvalancheSimilar to Buffalo last pick, Arizona has picked a F and D and they probably go BPA here. I think that the BPA here is Jordan Dumais. He is scoring at a really good pace (53pts in 34gp QMJHL) and I wouldn't be surprised if he's the Tyler Boucher of this year's draft. The reason he might fall is his height (5'8'' - 5'9'', depends where you look) but size doesn't matter right?
Feb. 18, 2022 at 9:06 p.m.
I feel like CBJ with their 2nd 1st if they pick a D go with Casey, I really like him, have him as the 4th best D in the class ( after Nemec, Jiricek and Mateychuk ). Reasoning’s fair even if I disagree with some of the BPA’s and with your opinion on some of the players ( I personally don’t see a high ceiling in Kulich, he’s talented, well-rounded and has a good floor but he tops out as a middle 6 guy imo and I’m not a huge Ingram fan, have a couple concerns about his game ). I would love if we ended up with Howard and Wright, Wright gives up that center depth every contending team has and I’m a big Howard fan, I see him going anywhere in the 10-20 range
nickthehabsfan liked this.
Feb. 18, 2022 at 9:13 p.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
I feel like CBJ with their 2nd 1st if they pick a D go with Casey, I really like him, have him as the 4th best D in the class ( after Nemec, Jiricek and Mateychuk ). Reasoning’s fair even if I disagree with some of the BPA’s and with your opinion on some of the players ( I personally don’t see a high ceiling in Kulich, he’s talented, well-rounded and has a good floor but he tops out as a middle 6 guy imo and I’m not a huge Ingram fan, have a couple concerns about his game ). I would love if we ended up with Howard and Wright, Wright gives up that center depth every contending team has and I’m a big Howard fan, I see him going anywhere in the 10-20 range

I'm a big fan of NHLe I had success with it last year so I think I'll continue to use it as improve it. Yeah some players I have a little too high, but I justed wanted to include them to see what people think about them.
Feb. 18, 2022 at 9:14 p.m.
Quoting: nickthehabsfan
I'm a big fan of NHLe I had success with it last year so I think I'll continue to use it as improve it. Yeah some players I have a little too high, but I justed wanted to include them to see what people think about them.

I know wink
Feb. 18, 2022 at 10:01 p.m.
That’s a wild lottery result
Feb. 18, 2022 at 10:34 p.m.
power forward
I also agree with you about Cooley, I don't think he's going No. 2. Mostly because he's committed to college hockey and teams would want to pass up on that. Savoie will make the NHL sooner and will be selected before Cooley.

Also for the Oilers if there are no defenseman available, I think they go with Gauthier. From watching Oilers games they lack physicality and size in their top 6.
Feb. 19, 2022 at 10:17 a.m.
I think Howard or Cutter Gauthier would be a great pick for Montreal second 1st round pick. I don't know who will be better because Howard is more a sniper player and Gauthier is more a Brady Tkachuk type of player. Who do you think is the better choice for Montreal there ?
Feb. 19, 2022 at 11:31 a.m.
Quoting: Sam_Qc
I think Howard or Cutter Gauthier would be a great pick for Montreal second 1st round pick. I don't know who will be better because Howard is more a sniper player and Gauthier is more a Brady Tkachuk type of player. Who do you think is the better choice for Montreal there ?

Not sure both would be great options. Gauthier would be an Anderson player, while Howard would another Caufield. I think I'd prefer Howard, simply because of the goal scoring potential, but both would be great picks.
Sam_Qc liked this.
Feb. 19, 2022 at 11:49 a.m.
Quoting: nickthehabsfan
Not sure both would be great options. Gauthier would be an Anderson player, while Howard would another Caufield. I think I'd prefer Howard, simply because of the goal scoring potential, but both would be great picks.

I'm fine with that. I have seen comparison with Clayton Keller for Isaac Howard so it's really good.
Feb. 20, 2022 at 11:23 p.m.
Drover006
Hope leafs pick duda

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll