Forums/Armchair-GM

Chevy will Chevy

Created by: BatVader
Team: 2021-22 Winnipeg Jets
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 16, 2022
Published: Mar. 16, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Whether we agree or not, the Jets are 2pts out of the 2nd wild card spot, so it’s very likely Chevy switches into buyer mode to get this team into the playoffs and save his job.
Being Chevy it’s very likely he keeps Copp as an”Own Rental”, which would be stupid, but it’s typical Chevy.
It’s also very likely that he will address this teams biggest need as he sees it… bottom 6 LW depth.
So, with that in mind here is what I’m expecting for WPG at the TDL…

This will all lead to a 1st round exit, assuming the Jets actually get in.
Trades
WPG
  1. Hunt, Dryden
  2. 2022 4th round pick (WPG)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$78,708,813$145,122$1,350,000$2,791,187
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
LW, C
RFA - 3
$6,125,000$6,125,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$8,250,000$8,250,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 3
$7,142,857$7,142,857
LW
UFA - 5
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$3,640,000$3,640,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the New York Rangers
$762,500$762,500
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$3,250,000$3,250,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LD
UFA - 7
$5,875,000$5,875,000
RD
UFA - 4
$6,166,667$6,166,667
G
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333
LD
RFA - 3
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
$3,900,000$3,900,000
LD
UFA - 3
$5,950,000$5,950,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$900,000$900,000
LD
RFA - 2
$5,291,667$5,291,667
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$725,000$725,000
C
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
LW
UFA - 1
$752,500$752,500
RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 16, 2022 at 10:50 a.m.
Why downgrade Stastny if he wants to switch to buyer mode. And get back a worse player and only a 4th. We should be able to get a 2nd back for Stastny, or a decent prospect.
palhal liked this.
Mar. 16, 2022 at 10:51 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Gotta think Chevy owes it his own players and Jet fans, not to sell his UFAs and make a playoff push.
Mar. 16, 2022 at 10:54 a.m.
Quoting: njlaf705
Why downgrade Stastny if he wants to switch to buyer mode. And get back a worse player and only a 4th. We should be able to get a 2nd back for Stastny, or a decent prospect.

It’s a very Chevy move… he gets his 4th back, adds a depth LW, plus saves cap for Grodd knows what
Mar. 16, 2022 at 11:00 a.m.
Quoting: palhal
Gotta think Chevy owes it his own players and Jet fans, not to sell his UFAs and make a playoff push.

I know that, and I think if they win at least one of the next 2 games before the deadline Chevy will buy. But if you look at the standings the Stars are one point ahead of the Jets and have 3 games in hand on the Jets, so they have that final wild card spot pretty much locked up if they continue playing well. I believe that it would set the team back quite a bit if they make the playoffs. Like Darryl Sutter said yesterday, who ever plays against the Avs in the first round is going to be a waste of 8 days. Chevy should see that the odds of making the playoffs are still very slim with only being 2 points out (9% via MoneyPuck).
BatVader liked this.
Mar. 16, 2022 at 11:04 a.m.
Quoting: BatVader
It’s a very Chevy move… he gets his 4th back, adds a depth LW, plus saves cap for Grodd knows what

I want to think that Chevy is smart enough to see that this team can't compete with the Avs and that it will be a waste like Sutter said yesterday. I just think that if they lose the next 2 games before the TDL and teams around them win, Chevy will sell.
Mar. 16, 2022 at 11:08 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I know that, and I think if they win at least one of the next 2 games before the deadline Chevy will buy. But if you look at the standings the Stars are one point ahead of the Jets and have 3 games in hand on the Jets, so they have that final wild card spot pretty much locked up if they continue playing well. I believe that it would set the team back quite a bit if they make the playoffs. Like Darryl Sutter said yesterday, who ever plays against the Avs in the first round is going to be a waste of 8 days. Chevy should see that the odds of making the playoffs are still very slim with only being 2 points out (9% via MoneyPuck).

Sutter was quite funny with that statement. Think he was telling his own team.....don't be wildcard team. But the fact is, four teams are gonna be eliminated in the first round, so let's imagine it's the Avs opponent and three others. But trading Stastny for second rounder....really deflates the team and fans. Better to "go for it", with the current team, even if they aren't buyers.
Mar. 16, 2022 at 11:10 a.m.
I want to think that Chevy is smart enough to see that this team can't compete with the Avs and that it will be a waste like Sutter said yesterday. I just think that if they lose the next 2 games before the TDL and teams around them win, Chevy will sell.

This is the team he built and he has committed to ride or die with the leadership and culture built around Wheeler and Scheifele… and I think after replacing Maurice., Chevy is feeling heat from the top and is realizing he likely has 1 yr left If they miss out this year, so he’ll push to save his job.
Mar. 16, 2022 at 12:04 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
How far away is Perfetti from returning? If he's not too far away I don't see why Chevy couldn't sell Copp and Stastny and still try to push for the playoffs, put Perfetti in Stastny's spot next to 55 and 26, put Svech with PLD and Connor, put Ehlers with Lowry and Harkins and youre pretty much in just as good of a spot with the llineup.

Stastny and Copp are decent two-way guys but offensively neither has done much lately, Copp's offense has really dried up since he went back on Lowry's wing so put Harkins there and there isn't much difference imo, if they really want to load up the PLD line then swap Ehlers and Svech.

Ultimately Lowrys line is just there to waste time which is the Jets motus operandi so is Copp really all that crucial, I don't think he is. Yes he'd be missed on the PK but the Jets PK sucks anyway so I doubt there'd be some massive drop-off if Harkins was killing penalties instead of Copp.

If Chevy doesn't sell he's making a massive mistake, this team needs a pretty substantial retool and that'll take assets, he needs to cash in Stastny and Copp for assets.
BatVader and Mr_Canoehead liked this.
Mar. 16, 2022 at 12:43 p.m.
Quoting: MisstheWhalers
How far away is Perfetti from returning? If he's not too far away I don't see why Chevy couldn't sell Copp and Stastny and still try to push for the playoffs, put Perfetti in Stastny's spot next to 55 and 26, put Svech with PLD and Connor, put Ehlers with Lowry and Harkins and youre pretty much in just as good of a spot with the llineup.

Stastny and Copp are decent two-way guys but offensively neither has done much lately, Copp's offense has really dried up since he went back on Lowry's wing so put Harkins there and there isn't much difference imo, if they really want to load up the PLD line then swap Ehlers and Svech.

Ultimately Lowrys line is just there to waste time which is the Jets motus operandi so is Copp really all that crucial, I don't think he is. Yes he'd be missed on the PK but the Jets PK sucks anyway so I doubt there'd be some massive drop-off if Harkins was killing penalties instead of Copp.

If Chevy doesn't sell he's making a massive mistake, this team needs a pretty substantial retool and that'll take assets, he needs to cash in Stastny and Copp for assets.

The beat reporters (I can't remember which ones) were saying that Perfetti is not close to coming back.

It does sound like Chipman & Cheveldayoff are not going to sell. There was Chevy's comment to LeBrun that he believes in this group, the front office leak to Dreger that they are considering "own rentals", and Chipman's letter to season ticket holders two days ago saying that the Jets "continue to remain in the fight to earn a playoff spot again this year". It sounds like the desire to go for it is part revenue driven and part managing group dynamics in the locker room.

Right now the Stars would finish the season as WC2 at 95 points so that implies the Jets need to go 14-6-1 (or .690 pts%), that number might be higher as the teams going for WC2 play with greater urgency. That is a steep hill to climb, with public models also coming to the same conclusion. Probability of making the playoffs:
9% - Money Puck
9% - The Athletic
11% - Playoff Status
12% - Hockey Reference
BatVader and MisstheWhalers liked this.
Mar. 16, 2022 at 12:48 p.m.
Quoting: MisstheWhalers

Quoting: Mr_Canoehead
The beat reporters (I can't remember which ones) were saying that Perfetti is not close to coming back.

It does sound like Chipman & Cheveldayoff are not going to sell. There was Chevy's comment to LeBrun that he believes in this group, the front office leak to Dreger that they are considering "own rentals", and Chipman's letter to season ticket holders two days ago saying that the Jets "continue to remain in the fight to earn a playoff spot again this year". It sounds like the desire to go for it is part revenue driven and part managing group dynamics in the locker room.

Right now the Stars would finish the season as WC2 at 95 points so that implies the Jets need to go 14-6-1 (or .690 pts%), that number might be higher as the teams going for WC2 play with greater urgency. That is a steep hill to climb, with public models also coming to the same conclusion. Probability of making the playoffs:
9% - Money Puck
9% - The Athletic
11% - Playoff Status
12% - Hockey Reference

The conclusion I’m expecting from everything I’ve read and what’s been reported about Chevy and the Jets is they’ll keep Copp as an own rental and miss the playoffs by 4 pts… meaning we lose Copp for nothing in FA, and get a meh mid draft pick as well. Worst possible outcome… and should cost Chevy his job, but likely won’t.
Mar. 16, 2022 at 1:10 p.m.
Quoting: BatVader
The conclusion I’m expecting from everything I’ve read and what’s been reported about Chevy and the Jets is they’ll keep Copp as an own rental and miss the playoffs by 4 pts… meaning we lose Copp for nothing in FA, and get a meh mid draft pick as well. Worst possible outcome… and should cost Chevy his job, but likely won’t.

I have a similar conclusion, except they miss by 6 points. 😉
BatVader and MisstheWhalers liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll