Forums/Armchair-GM

Leafs lose in the first round

Created by: ChefBoyardee
Team: 2022-23 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 28, 2022
Published: Mar. 28, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Let me start off by saying I don't see this as realistic, but any retool after another disastrous run will look unrealistic until it happens. This also only works if Philly plans on making another run, which it seems like that's the case. I see this as a fair trade off between Philly and Toronto, as Philly gets two years of a better forward and a worse defenceman at a reduced cap hit, for a cheaper forward at a slightly longer cap hit with a better defenceman on an expiring deal. The retention is just to make the Muzzin contract look bearable and maybe even good, but his NTC would need to be waived, which I also see as very unlikely. Arizona is an obvious location for Mrazek, and with some more assets included, leafs get a good middle 6 player back. I could see more assets going towards Arizona, let me know what you guys think but based on trends I thought this made sense. Joey joins his brother and the leafs get an asset back from the disappointing trade, while Duszak gets his fresh start. Let me know what you guys think.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$925,000
2$925,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,200,000
2$1,750,000
3$2,000,000
3$3,500,000
2$850,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$750,000
2$2,500,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Konecny, Travis
  2. Sanheim, Travis
  3. 2022 4th round pick (PHI)
PHI
  1. Muzzin, Jake ($2,000,000 retained)
  2. Nylander, William
TOR
  1. Crouse, Lawson [RFA Rights]
ARI
  1. Engvall, Pierre [RFA Rights]
  2. Hirvonen, Roni [Reserve List]
  3. Mrázek, Petr
  4. 2022 1st round pick (TOR)
  5. 2023 4th round pick (TOR)
TOR
    Future considerations
    BUF
    1. Duszak, Joseph [RFA Rights]
    TOR
    1. 2022 4th round pick (LAK)
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the LAK
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    21$82,500,000$82,361,584$212,500$0$138,416
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
    $950,000$950,000
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $11,640,250$11,640,250
    C
    UFA - 2
    $10,903,000$10,903,000
    RW
    UFA - 3
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    LW, C, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $11,000,000$11,000,000
    C, LW
    NMC
    UFA - 3
    Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 3
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 5
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $796,667$796,667
    LW, RW
    RFA - 2
    $834,167$834,167
    LW, RW
    RFA - 2
    $750,000$750,000
    C, RW
    UFA
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $7,500,000$7,500,000
    LD
    NMC
    UFA - 8
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    G
    UFA - 5
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    LD/RD
    NTC
    UFA - 2
    $2,200,000$2,200,000
    LD
    UFA - 2
    $750,000$750,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $1,750,000$1,750,000
    RD
    RFA - 2
    Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
    $4,675,000$4,675,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $900,000$900,000
    RW, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Mar. 28, 2022 at 9:30 a.m.
    LongtimeLeafsufferer
    Muzzin doesn't waive for Philly. So the Leafs lose in the first round, and then you resign the goalie who likely the losing the goalie in the first round.
    Don't know why you say it was a disappointing trade acquiring Joey Anderson....Leafs needed the cap space and were able to offload 2.3m Johnsson. Sorry Anderson isn't an NHLer and can gifted to LA.
    OldNYIfan liked this.
    Mar. 28, 2022 at 9:35 a.m.
    Chef
    Quoting: palhal
    Muzzin doesn't waive for Philly. So the Leafs lose in the first round, and then you resign the goalie who likely the losing the goalie in the first round.
    Don't know why you say it was a disappointing trade acquiring Joey Anderson....Leafs needed the cap space and were able to offload 2.3m Johnsson. Sorry Anderson isn't an NHLer and can gifted to LA.

I know like I said I highly doubt Muzzin waives. Campbell has upside, and a first round loss against a good opponent doesn't mean the goalie played poorly, such as Campbell last year. Leafs could of easily of got a second round pick, Joey Anderson was a bit of a gamble or bet and it didn't payoff, at least not yet but point is his value is less than a second. He has been an NHLer however and a fourth is a fair return I think most would agree.
    Mar. 28, 2022 at 11:43 a.m.
    Once a Kings Fan Too
    Josh Anderson is 23 years old, is therefore in his D+6 season, and has played all of 57 games in the NHL, including only 5 in the last two seasons with Toronto, so the fact that "he has been an NHLer" cuts against him, not for him. He has no particular size, hasn't been an especially prolific scorer in the AHL, and hasn't been able to earn a spot over the much older Wayne Simmonds and Jason Spezza. Compare him to Brendan Lemieux, for whom Los Angeles paid a fourth, and Nic DesLauriers, for whom Anaheim paid a fourth and Minnesota just paid a third, and you should change your mind about Anderson being worth a fourth. My friend @palhal is right -- we might give Toronto a seventh for him and send him to Ontario (the one in California), but he's not making our NHL squad, and I doubt he would make anyone else's.
    gretzkyghosts and palhal liked this.
    Mar. 28, 2022 at 12:12 p.m.
    Chef
    Quoting: OldNYIfan
    Josh Anderson is 23 years old, is therefore in his D+6 season, and has played all of 57 games in the NHL, including only 5 in the last two seasons with Toronto, so the fact that "he has been an NHLer" cuts against him, not for him. He has no particular size, hasn't been an especially prolific scorer in the AHL, and hasn't been able to earn a spot over the much older Wayne Simmonds and Jason Spezza. Compare him to Brendan Lemieux, for whom Los Angeles paid a fourth, and Nic DesLauriers, for whom Anaheim paid a fourth and Minnesota just paid a third, and you should change your mind about Anderson being worth a fourth. My friend palhal is right -- we might give Toronto a seventh for him and send him to Ontario (the one in California), but he's not making our NHL squad, and I doubt he would make anyone else's.

23 is still a young age, especially with the development of later draft picks. Anderson is a casualty of offensive depth and the unwillingness to scratch veterans by the Org. If anything, I say your point about DesLauriers and Lemieux work in favour of Anderson's value, as both are low production players and have less potential upside than Anderson.
    Mar. 28, 2022 at 12:18 p.m.
    Once a Kings Fan Too
    Quoting: ChefBoyardee
    23 is still a young age, especially with the development of later draft picks. Anderson is a casualty of offensive depth and the unwillingness to scratch veterans by the Org. If anything, I say your point about DesLauriers and Lemieux work in favour of Anderson's value, as both are low production players and have less potential upside than Anderson.

If you think that a kid who has had 6 seasons to prove himself and hasn't still has upside, then you really are looking at the world through rose-colored glasses. The only guy I can think of who has had that kind of career arc is your own Michael Bunting.
    gretzkyghosts liked this.
    Mar. 28, 2022 at 12:21 p.m.
    Chef
    If you think that a kid who has had 6 seasons to prove himself and hasn't still has upside, then you really are looking at the world through rose-colored glasses. The only guy I can think of who has had that kind of career arc is your own Michael Bunting.

Countless players continue their development well into their careers. Jake Muzzin is one, who spent his first five seasons outside of the NHL and half of his sixth in the AHL. I could find more if you want but my point is that 23 is still a very young age.
    Mar. 28, 2022 at 12:41 p.m.
    Once a Kings Fan Too
    Edited Mar. 28, 2022 at 1:03 p.m.. Reason: corrected typo
    Countless players continue their development well into their careers. Jake Muzzin is one, who spent his first five seasons outside of the NHL and half of his sixth in the AHL. I could find more if you want but my point is that 23 is still a very young age.

Now you're comparing the development times of forwards and defensemen as if they are similar?!?!? That's even worse than saying that the reason why Lemieux and DesLauriers returned only fourths is that they had little potential upside. Third- and fourth-liners don't have their value because they have upside, their value is in what talents they already possess. My point is that Anderson hasn't shown that he has even third-line ability.

You think that Anderson has significant value based on nothing more than a hope and a prayer. GMs don't make decisions on that basis. Remember Mikko Lehtonen? He supposedly had great potential too -- a leading scorer in the KHL, as I recall.

Taking flyers is for guys at the race track, not the hockey rink.
    Mar. 28, 2022 at 3:21 p.m.
    Chef
    Now you're comparing the development times of forwards and defensemen as if they are similar?!?!? That's even worse than saying that the reason why Lemieux and DesLauriers returned only fourths is that they had little potential upside. Third- and fourth-liners don't have their value because they have upside, their value is in what talents they already possess. My point is that Anderson hasn't shown that he has even third-line ability.

You think that Anderson has significant value based on nothing more than a hope and a prayer. GMs don't make decisions on that basis. Remember Mikko Lehtonen? He supposedly had great potential too -- a leading scorer in the KHL, as I recall.

Taking flyers is for guys at the race track, not the hockey rink.

Now your comparing the KHL-NHL transition at the AHL-NHL transition. If Deslauriers if an NHLer then why wouldn't Anderson be considered one as well? produced at roughly the same rate in the NHL, DesLauriers spent more than 6 years developing before his NHL debut. Anderson doesn't have the chance to show his ability due to depth in the Leafs Org, but look what he did with consistent time in NJ.
    Mar. 28, 2022 at 3:46 p.m.
    Once a Kings Fan Too
    If Deslauriers if an NHLer then why wouldn't Anderson be considered one as well?

Well, because DesLauriers has played 490 games in the NHL, that's why, and so it's not just my opinion, whereas you are probably close to the only person reading this who thinks that Anderson is.

490 games over 9 seasons is a little more than 54 games per season. Anderson has a total of 57 games played over 4 seasons, not one. That's the difference between them.

The fact that you keep bringing up the excuse that "Anderson doesn't have the chance to show his ability" should be a red flag to you. Making excuses for a player is admitting that you expect him to do better than he has shown. That in turn forces the conclusion that the team taking him on is taking on a chance, not an asset. A team doesn't pay a premium for the "privilege" of taking a gamble.

Anderson has 35 points (21 goals, 14 assists) in 48 games on the Marlies. Martin Frk, who is 28 years old, has 33 goals and 29 assists in the same number of games playing for the Ontario Reign. Whicih of the two Is worth a fourth-round draft pick?
    Mar. 28, 2022 at 3:46 p.m.
    Big fan of Nylander but that's too much to give up
    Mar. 28, 2022 at 3:57 p.m.
    Once a Kings Fan Too
    Anderson doesn't have the chance to show his ability due to depth in the Leafs Org, but look what he did with consistent time in NJ.

You call 7 points in 34 games and 6 points in 18 games something to look at?

Again, let's compare him to Martin Frk:

Frk: 124 games in the NHL, 20 goals, 21 assists = 41 points
    Anderson: 57 games in the NHL (roughly half of Frk's time), 8 goals, 5 assists = 13 points (i.e., roughly one third of Frk's production)
    Mar. 28, 2022 at 6:51 p.m.
    Chef
    You call 7 points in 34 games and 6 points in 18 games something to look at?

Again, let's compare him to Martin Frk:

Frk: 124 games in the NHL, 20 goals, 21 assists = 41 points
    Anderson: 57 games in the NHL (roughly half of Frk's time), 8 goals, 5 assists = 13 points (i.e., roughly one third of Frk's production)

a third of his production in less than half the games and 5 years younger. Not a fair comparison at all.
    Mar. 28, 2022 at 7:01 p.m.
    Once a Kings Fan Too
    a third of his production in less than half the games and 5 years younger. Not a fair comparison at all.

Oh, so now, being five years older is an unfair advantage?

Look, it's so evident from your refusal to look disinterestedly at the figures, all of which go one way, that your mind is so closed that not even Kyle Dubas calling you up and telling you that you're wrong is going to change it, so let's just agree to disagree.
    Mar. 28, 2022 at 7:08 p.m.
    Chef
    Oh, so now, being five years older is an unfair advantage?

Look, it's so evident from your refusal to look disinterestedly at the figures, all of which go one way, that your mind is so closed that not even Kyle Dubas calling you up and telling you that you're wrong is going to change it, so let's just agree to disagree.

It literally is an unfair advantage... Its called player development and its the reason why Matthews didn't put up 60 in his rookie season, or why Crosby didn't win the hart out of the gate. The problem is not me ignoring the statistics, its you misusing them.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll