SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Question about Bettman

Apr. 16, 2022 at 7:33 p.m.
Bedard23
I’ve heard A LOT and I mean A LOT of rumours saying that Gary Bettman has an anti-Canadian bias

Do you think this is true and why?
Apr. 17, 2022 at 1:44 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Apr. 17, 2022 at 1:50 a.m.
Quoting: IconicHawk
I’ve heard A LOT and I mean A LOT of rumours saying that Gary Bettman has an anti-Canadian bias

Do you think this is true and why?

I think its semi true

One good example is the Coyotes

Bettman would rather have an NHL team play in an American University Arena that seats 5000 people vs. Quebec's Videotron Centre which can house 18,259 people. And this is despite the fact the Quebec Govnt has asked for a team and has an Arena, Fanbase, and Backers all ready to go lul

Heck Tempe city council is already looking to reject that proposed Arena due to money issues adding another nail into Bettman's failure.

Bettman is actively ignoring the fact that Quebec is more profitable than Arizona but nah he does not want to admit his failure and give Canada another team

There are other more cliché examples but this is the big one to me.
oilersguy liked this.
Apr. 17, 2022 at 6:55 a.m.
SHL NJD GM
Quoting: aadoyle
I think its semi true

One good example is the Coyotes

Bettman would rather have an NHL team play in an American University Arena that seats 5000 people vs. Quebec's Videotron Centre which can house 18,259 people. And this is despite the fact the Quebec Govnt has asked for a team and has an Arena, Fanbase, and Backers all ready to go lul

Heck Tempe city council is already looking to reject that proposed Arena due to money issues adding another nail into Bettman's failure.

Bettman is actively ignoring the fact that Quebec is more profitable than Arizona but nah he does not want to admit his failure and give Canada another team

There are other more cliché examples but this is the big one to me.

The thing is he’s actually right, Arizona can be more profitable than Quebec but that very much hasn’t happened
Apr. 17, 2022 at 10:58 a.m.
Bedard23
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
The thing is he’s actually right, Arizona can be more profitable than Quebec but that very much hasn’t happened

Maybe if the citizens of Arizona weren’t too focused on the Suns and Cardinals they’d actually care about the Yotes
Apr. 17, 2022 at 11:07 a.m.
SHL NJD GM
Quoting: IconicHawk
Maybe if the citizens of Arizona weren’t too focused on the Suns and Cardinals they’d actually care about the Yotes

Arizona can get jam-packed arenas, they just need a way to attract fans to watch ( playoffs or interesting roster ) and have an arena in an accessible location
Apr. 25, 2022 at 8:52 p.m.
It’s very obviously true lol. Just look at anything he’s ever said about Quebec City. He also refuses to acknowledge Arizona as a failure. Being relocated to Quebec would have been easily justifiable at literally any point in time after their arena was finished, and they’d be a more popular and more successful franchise, but Bettman is steadfast in his refusal to admit his mistake and it’ll be nearly impossible to get him to move another team from a large American city (Phoenix + surrounding area) to a relatively small Canadian city (Quebec City) despite the fact that they’d sell more tickets/merchandise and actually care about the team (it’s Atlanta to Winnipeg all over again). I’m still personally hoping that their Tempe deal for a new arena isn’t approved by the council and/or some of the big shot owners (like Jacobs) decide they aren’t paying to support a dead weight franchise with a 5k capacity arena for the next 3 years, forcing a relocation to literally anywhere (I personally think Quebec makes the most sense as a relocation place, and Houston makes the most sense as an expansion place). So yeah, Bettman has a very long track record of hating Canada. He wants hockey to work in the USA so badly, and can’t figure out why it isn’t (despite the major population advantage of most American cities), and doesn’t realize it’s mostly to do with his terrible leadership and decision making.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll