Forums/Armchair-GM

I thought we were done with this

Created by: qc14
Team: 2022-23 Washington Capitals
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 19, 2022
Published: Jun. 19, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
For some reason Wilson/Nylander swaps have become really popular again. I think there is zero chance that this happens, but I wanted to go through with what it would take for the Caps to make that trade worthwhile.

1) Whether Wilson or Nylander is better is besides the point. In the eyes of the league -- coaches, pro scouts, and gms -- Wilson is the more valuable player because of the exact reasons Leafs fans want to trade for him.

2) This swap would only come about because TOR is specifically targeting Wilson / trying to dump Nylander. The Caps would not be initiating any deal involving Wilson.

3) The Caps are still going to be going for a cup. Good bottom 6 forwards and bottom pairing defenseman on cheap contracts that fit well with the team are things that you want to keep. This means Sheary, Hathaway, Dowd, Jensen, and TVR in particular would only be moved in a massive overpay, not as throw-ins.

4) This also means that young players that have proven themselves on the roster and that management has said will need to play big roles will not be moved. Fehervary and McMichael are off the table, but Samsonov and Vanecek are very much not.

5) All futures -- prospects not expected to immediately contribute next year and picks -- are completely fair game.

These combined lead to one outcome. TORONTO WOULD BE ADDING IN A WILSON/NYLANDER SWAP. I am tired of seeing Wilson + Hathaway + 2nd + 2nd for Nylander + Mrazek. Stop. Please.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,500,000
Trades
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
19$82,500,000$64,454,033$100,000$0$18,045,967
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Washington Capitals
$9,500,000$9,500,000
LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
$9,200,000$9,200,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$2,850,000$2,850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333
LW, C
RFA - 2
$2,415,000$2,415,000
C
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LW
UFA - 2
$1,300,000$1,300,000
C
UFA - 3
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$796,667$796,667
LW, RW
RFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,275,000$1,275,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$950,000$950,000
RD
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
$791,667$791,667
LD/RD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 19, 2022 at 11:08 p.m.
PittsburghModelMyAss
Quoting: Saskleaf
That's just an example, that's not the point. If you don't like that example, you could look at the draft. Many times teams reach for players with size and let small players fall. That's why late round stars are almost always small guys (Point, Gaudreau, Pavalski, etc).

It's common knowledge that NHL gms prefer big players over small players in a vaccuum. Like obvoiusly if the small player is way better then you take him, but if they are similar players other than size, the GM take the big guys every time. Well, except maybe Dubas haha.

If only the BPA method was implemented by every team when drafting... could you image how different the league would look.
Saskleaf liked this.
Jun. 19, 2022 at 11:10 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: BigBadBurke
If only the BPA method was implemented by every team when drafting... could you image how different the league would look.

It would look a heck of a lot different. I mean, Tampa wouldn't be a dynasty, for one. They've built their team with the help of late round steals.
BigBadBurke liked this.
Jun. 19, 2022 at 11:11 p.m.
PittsburghModelMyAss
It would look a heck of a lot different. I mean, Tampa wouldn't be a dynasty, for one. They've built their team with the help of late round steals.

Can't believe they somehow prob got another Palat in Huuhtanen. Just unreal scouting and drafting
Saskleaf liked this.
Jun. 19, 2022 at 11:18 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: BigBadBurke
Can't believe they somehow prob got another Palat in Huuhtanen. Just unreal scouting and drafting

There is a reason people talk about Yzerman as the best GM. Joe Sakic is the best GM for trades and probably signings as well, but Yzerman is the best at drafting, and it isn't even remotely close.
Jun. 19, 2022 at 11:33 p.m.
That's just an example, that's not the point. If you don't like that example, you could look at the draft. Many times teams reach for players with size and let small players fall. That's why late round stars are almost always small guys (Point, Gaudreau, Pavalski, etc).

It's common knowledge that NHL gms prefer big players over small players in a vaccuum. Like obvoiusly if the small player is way better then you take him, but if they are similar players other than size, the GM take the big guys every time. Well, except maybe Dubas haha.

What is common knowledge is that size plays a factor, as well as skill. Trying to paint GMs, coaches and scouts with a broad brush is just foolish. For every example for one, you'll find a counter example going the other way. Trying to say that all 'coaches, pro scouts and GMs' view it one way is just absurdly foolish and a common mistake made by posters, including the OP, here.
Saskleaf liked this.
Jun. 19, 2022 at 11:35 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: Byrr
What is common knowledge is that size plays a factor, as well as skill. Trying to paint GMs, coaches and scouts with a broad brush is just foolish. For every example for one, you'll find a counter example going the other way. Trying to say that all 'coaches, pro scouts and GMs' view it one way is just absurdly foolish and a common mistake made by posters here, including the OP here.

Ok, not every GM. But on average, big players are more coveted than small ones. I don’t see how that can really be disputed.
Jun. 19, 2022 at 11:40 p.m.
Ok, not every GM. But on average, big players are more coveted than small ones. I don’t see how that can really be disputed.

But not because they are big alone. Being big alone isn't enough. Nylander is more skilled than Wilson, Wilson is bigger than Nylander. Trying to say that GMs view this one way or the other, without any actual insight into how GMs view this situation, is a foolish exercise because it's all viewed on a scale that we don't have particularly good insight to. We may have our own opinions on it as fans but trying to say your opinion reflects that of 'coaches, pro scouts and GMs' is just dumb. OP is trying to appeal to authority falsely.
Saskleaf liked this.
Jun. 19, 2022 at 11:47 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: Byrr
But not because they are big alone. Being big alone isn't enough. Nylander is more skilled than Wilson, Wilson is bigger than Nylander. Trying to say that GMs view this one way or the other, without any actual insight into how GMs view this situation, is a foolish exercise because it's all viewed on a scale that we don't have particularly good insight to. We may have our own opinions on it as fans but trying to say your opinion reflects that of 'coaches, pro scouts and GMs' is just dumb. OP is trying to appeal to authority falsely.

Oh absolutly it isn't the only thing they look for. And I agree, it is on a scale that is objective and hard to follow. Nyaldner is more skilled than Wilson, Wilson has the "intangables" and the size. Would there be GMs thinking Nylander hs more value? Sure, it's like thar there are at least some out there. I feel like more would prefer Wilson though. But hey, I could be wrong. Just going off how GMs usually operate regarding size tells me that.
Jun. 20, 2022 at 2:10 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo

I think the example shows that bad GM's covet big slow dumb players. But even dubas signed nick ritchie. Wilson is utterly useless to the leafs, between the injury and suspensions he would barely play.
Saskleaf liked this.
Jun. 20, 2022 at 9:20 a.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: GenXHockey
I think the example shows that bad GM's covet big slow dumb players. But even dubas signed nick ritchie. Wilson is utterly useless to the leafs, between the injury and suspensions he would barely play.

Exactly. If the leafs really wanted a star with sandpaper they should go after Kadri. But overall they are best off filling that role with depth guys.
GenXHockey liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll