Forums/Armchair-GM

22-23 test

Created by: Frankus_maximus
Team: 2022-23 Ottawa Senators
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 27, 2022
Published: Jun. 27, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Read the articles before you trash the trades. Remember the forum rules (Posting a thread or a reply to a thread that's sole purpose is to start an argument is not permitted on CapFriendly. This includes non-constructive replies to Armchair-GM threads such as "lol", "terrible" "not realistic". If you want to criticize an armchair-gm team, your post should focus on answering the question "why")
Trade for Connor Brown article
https://thehockeywriters.com/oilers-should-target-senators-connor-brown/
Estimated trade price for Kevin Fiala article
https://theathletic.com/3329872/2022/05/25/wild-kevin-fiala-trade-value-suitors/
Estimated signing price for Frank Vatrano article
https://blueseatblogs.com/2022/04/21/rangers-re-sign-copp-vatrano-both/
Estimated signing price for Villie Husso article
https://sabrenoise.com/2022/05/05/buffalo-sabres-ville-husso-free-agent/#:~:text=But%20given%20his%20performances%20this,million%20over%20an%20extended%20timeframe.
Chicago is going into full rebuild mode article (will need a couple of goalies and some bad contracts to get to the cap floor)
https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/blackhawks/blackhawks-are-listening-trade-offers-everybody-and-rightfully-so
Why Calvin De Hann was signed *(not the best defenseman out there but with Connor Brown leaving, the sens will need two forwards, not one so cap space will be tight until the dead cap is gone)
https://www.saltwire.com/nova-scotia/sports/garrioch-things-about-to-get-hectic-for-senators-gm-pierre-dorion-and-his-staff-100743443/
Why not stick with Anton Forseberg as starter?
https://thehockeywriters.com/senators-anton-forsberg-not-goalie-of-future/
Article Matt Murray to Toronto rumor
https://thehockeywriters.com/maple-leafs-2022-trade-targets-senators/
Rechel and Tullio are scoring wingers for the future
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$2,800,000
2$1,800,000
7$7,000,000
3$2,500,000
6$7,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$4,100,000
6$4,300,000
3$4,600,000
Trades
OTT
  1. Fiala, Kevin [RFA Rights]
MIN
  1. Crookshank, Angus
  2. 2022 1st round pick (OTT)
  3. 2022 5th round pick (BOS)
OTT
  1. 2022 3rd round pick (WPG)
TOR
  1. Murray, Matt ($3,100,000 retained)
  2. 2022 6th round pick (OTT)
OTT
  1. 2022 6th round pick (ARI)
ARI
  1. Del Zotto, Michael
  2. 2023 5th round pick (OTT)
OTT
  1. Kassian, Zack
  2. Tullio, Tyler
  3. 2022 5th round pick (EDM)
EDM
  1. Brown, Connor
  2. 2022 6th round pick (ARI)
OTT
  1. Reichel, Lukas
  2. 2023 4th round pick (CHI)
CHI
  1. Gustavsson, Filip
  2. Sokolov, Egor
  3. Zaitsev, Nikita
  4. 2022 2nd round pick (TBL)
  5. 2023 2nd round pick (OTT)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$82,500,000$81,544,047$0$4,025,000$955,953
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$8,205,714$8,205,714
LW
UFA - 6
$7,000,000$7,000,000
C
UFA - 8
$4,975,000$4,975,000
RW, LW
UFA - 5
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C
UFA - 1
$7,500,000$7,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 7
$2,800,000$2,800,000
LW
RFA
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$600,000$600K)
C
RFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
LW
RFA - 2
$863,333$863,333
C, LW
RFA - 3
$950,000$950,000
C
UFA - 1
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$8,000,000$8,000,000
LD
UFA - 6
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
$4,300,000$4,300,000
G
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$925,000$925K)
LD
UFA - 2
$4,600,000$4,600,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
G
UFA - 3
$1,800,000$1,800,000
LD/RD, LW
RFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
$1,300,000$1,300,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 27, 2022 at 8:56 a.m.
Edited Jun. 27, 2022 at 9:06 a.m.
Quoting: Frankus_maximus
That is why I also replied with this.

Like this guy from The Athletic for example:
- "Michael Russo is a senior writer covering the Minnesota Wild and the NHL for The Athletic. He has covered the NHL since 1995, previously for the South Florida Sun-Sentinel and Minneapolis Star Tribune. Michael is a four-time Minnesota Sportswriter of the Year and in 2017 was named the inaugural Red Fisher Award winner as best beat writer in the NHL."

And another, Mr. Elliot Friedman:
"serves as a hockey reporter for Sportsnet and as an insider for the NHL Network. He is a regular panelist on CBC's Hockey Night in Canada." His creds go on and on. And the source of info for some of those trades are guys like that. I think they are much more more qualified than any of us to assess trade value and trade possibilities and the regular day to day news from the NHL.

I never said anything about Russo or Friedman, they are insiders that I follow and uses a paid subscription to The Athletic...
IcemanJoe and RazWild liked this.
Jun. 27, 2022 at 9:22 a.m.
Edited Jun. 27, 2022 at 9:29 a.m.
Also, that would be very Dorion like (useless) to spend all that money and term on players they don't need (Vatrano, De Haan and Husso)

These 3 contracts could handcuff them in the near future and make them lose a guy like Pinto or Greig because no more money.

This would pretty much put the nail in the coffin of the disastrous Dorion reign.

Quoting: SNipeSHowInc
Leafs decline, if anything Ottawa is giving up a bigger asset to get rid of that contract even with 50% retained

They will want to send Mrazek the other way

Didn't read the article did ya sparky? Write the guy who wrote article telling him why you are right and he is wrong. Post their reply here after. We would all love to see it.

I read that article and the reasoning was PLAIN stupid. You can tell him if you want, I don't care.

Ottawa don't WANT anything to do with Kassian.

The guy says "The Oilers would have to add a sweetener to the deal" which is right but assuming the Sens are "ok" with Tullio (who would be very low on the Sens depth chart) and a 5th for taking on Kassian contract (DUMP)

Where's the ****en value for Connor Brown? tears of joy

This is a GARBAGE proposal, there's no other way to put it.

Quoting: sens65
Zero chance I'd do the Brown and Chicago trades. Zaitsev might cost a 2nd to offload, if its more than that I'd just buy him out. Tullio *might* offset the negative value of Kassian so you're giving Brown to Edmonton for free.

Damn I didn't see that Chicago deal

I love Reichel but Sokolov, Gustavsson and 2 more 2nd round picks, with one being early?

Let's go another route
Jun. 27, 2022 at 9:37 a.m.
Quote:
Chicago is going into full rebuild mode article (will need a couple of goalies and some bad contracts to get to the cap floor)

As you mentioned, the Hawks are entering a rebuild. Why would the Blackhawks trade their best minor league prospect to gain two 2nd round draft picks? Especially considering the Hawks have developed a drafting profile that emphasizes tenacity, forechecking, doggedness, and speed, a player mold that Reichel fits. They also currently have plenty of salaries, they don't need to give up prospects to make the floor. Even if the Hawks sold off all their major cap hits (which is a big if), they can weaponize that cap space by taking advantage of teams who are above the cap and taking on a bad contract to get picks (Trading for Marazk + for future considerations is a popular one).

The article you presented to support your trade was focused on members of the Blackhawks. The other thing to note is that while yes, basically everyone in the organization is available, your gonna have to blow away the Blackhawks to get some of them (Like Dach, Debrincat, Reichel, etc.). IE, any young player on the team who can be a piece the team can build around for the future could be available, but you will need to exceed the perceived the Blackhawks place on that player in order to get them to give them up. The conversation with Dach and Reichel likely starts at a 1st + additional picks and prospects, Debrincat likely starts with 2 firsts + additional picks and prospects. You might think that's overpriced, but again, the Hawks have no need to move these players, the only way someone is getting them is to overpay on them. If they stay, they would be excellent pieces to build around for the future. There is definitely no way 2 seconds and a bunch of salary dump throw-ins is going to do it.
Jun. 27, 2022 at 9:56 a.m.
Quoting: rf9
you think the sens will give away there best 2 way forward for a cap dumb and a decent prospect. just because edmonton writers have that as a good trade for them, the trade makes 0 sense from the sens prospective.
Sens are in a win now mindset finally, so why would they add a 4th line grinder and a prospect well getting rid of a guy who plays on there second line and top pk. Ott would be looking for a roster add for there top 6, like a pulijarvi or yamamoto

Connor Brown is so much better than Yamamoto, it's not even funny. Yamamoto became one of the most overrated players in the league when he produced some points playing McDavid and Draisaitl in that 27 games stretch. Don't worry, Brown would produce more in that situation too

I like Puljujarvi but he hasn't produced anywhere near top-6 numbers yet, despite opportunities

Let Elliot Frreidman know then. Post his reply here.

"As per Elliotte Friedman, Ottawa Senators forward Connor Brown is currently leaning towards the idea that he’ll test free agency when his current contract with the Senators expires. As such, the Sens might have to consider a trade and they’ll be plenty of interest if the team puts him out there on the market."

Wait so you read this (plenty of interest) and you figured out that what that Oilers fan who posted that "article" (lol) proposed was actually realistic?

Quoting: EccE
A quote from the Fiala-article: "Would a first-round pick and a quality prospect be a reasonable package for Fiala based on the Reinhart return?"

Angus Crookshank really doesn't qualify as a quality prospect.

He's actually pretty good, models his game after Gallagher. He had 16 pts in 19 games when he started in the AHL and received a lot of praise for coach Troy Mann. He continued to impress at the following rookie camp and preseason but unfortunately got injured long term. Sens have had an insane prospect pool the last few years that's why he completely flew under the radar.

I wouldn't trade him as a throw in or anything like that. I would in a package like that but if not, I'd much rather keep him. He fits the Tkachuk/Formenton relentless style Sens are trying to build.
rf9 liked this.
Jun. 27, 2022 at 10:39 a.m.
[quote\] He's actually pretty good, models his game after Gallagher. He had 16 pts in 19 games when he started in the AHL and received a lot of praise for coach Troy Mann. He continued to impress at the following rookie camp and preseason but unfortunately got injured long term. Sens have had an insane prospect pool the last few years that's why he completely flew under the radar.

I wouldn't trade him as a throw in or anything like that. I would in a package like that but if not, I'd much rather keep him. He fits the Tkachuk/Formenton relentless style Sens are trying to build.[/quote]

A lot of people don't read or watch videos that quote twitter feeds from the likes of Elliot Friedman (and others). They would have to google something and from all the comments on the "teams" posted here you can tell they don't read a damn thing or watch anything lol.
For example, you still run into Hawks fans in denial that they are about to have a fire sale. The Hawks GM himself said to the press that the only guys he isn't talking about moving are Kane, Toews and Jones. The only reason those three are exempt is because they have full no move clauses. So the press guy asked him again to be sure and he repeated that statement. Everything is for sale except those three. Logically, if they waive their NMC, they are for sale as well. Apparently Kane has already said in the past that if they start a rebuild, he is gone. All the big talking heads from the sports networks and real world evidence (look at the Rangers) show that a complete rebuild takes about 5 years or so. So people say they would never trade A. DeBrinkcat. He is awesome and only 24. Well as the big talking heads with years of experience, training, big lists of contacts and access to the staff on the teams and players say, 24 now but by the time they even consider even just making the playoffs, he will be 29. Add another 3 -4 years maybe to compete for the cup. Now he is almost 35. Is he still effective? Maybe, a big maybe. He won't stay if he can't win a cup before he retires. I get that the fans are loyal to the death but the players aren't. They want the cup and after that they want the money. Some are reversed. They can get a lot more for him now than years down the road and the picks would be useless for the rebuild then. But in the meantime, they want to tank the season to get a higher 1st round pick for at least 3 years in a row. You have a bigger chance of doing that with bad players rather than good ones. One other side effect I noticed that people completely ignore sometimes here is that a team still needs to reach the salary cap floor of just over 60 million dollars. That is why teams take those bad contracts that are enormous in exchange for draft picks. "The (insert team name here) decline. (as if they worked there lol, sad and pathetic)" Well I hate to break it to those guys your team will take those to get to the floor and to tank the season. Not forever obviously but for the next 3-4 years yes they will. Hell, Arizona called the Canucks two weeks ago letting them know they are looking to take bad contracts. So yes some teams would take the Murray contract for a midrange draft pick. It is literally a freebie draft pick. But you can't tell this to a many on here or that a prospect is good now compared to when they last heard about them two years ago. Hell, some people think their favorite player on there team is worth Nathan MacKinnon sewn to Conner McDavid with Ovechkin's arms strapped to him and an extra set of eyes from sid the kid.
Disclaimer: No offense intended to Hawks fans. Just the latest example of a team headed into rebuild mode. That isn't a bad thing. Look at my Rangers smile
Jun. 27, 2022 at 11:46 a.m.
Like this guy from The Athletic for example:
- "Michael Russo is a senior writer covering the Minnesota Wild and the NHL for The Athletic. He has covered the NHL since 1995, previously for the South Florida Sun-Sentinel and Minneapolis Star Tribune. Michael is a four-time Minnesota Sportswriter of the Year and in 2017 was named the inaugural Red Fisher Award winner as best beat writer in the NHL."

And another, Mr. Elliot Friedman:
"serves as a hockey reporter for Sportsnet and as an insider for the NHL Network. He is a regular panelist on CBC's Hockey Night in Canada." His creds go on and on. And the source of info for some of those trades are guys like that. I think they are much more more qualified than any of us to assess trade value and trade possibilities and the regular day to day news from the NHL.

Neither of which work for The Hockey Writers, they just get quoted by those who do.

Which should tell you something.
Jun. 27, 2022 at 12:02 p.m.
Edited Jun. 27, 2022 at 12:16 p.m.
Quoting: Xspyrit
He's actually pretty good, models his game after Gallagher. He had 16 pts in 19 games when he started in the AHL and received a lot of praise for coach Troy Mann. He continued to impress at the following rookie camp and preseason but unfortunately got injured long term. Sens have had an insane prospect pool the last few years that's why he completely flew under the radar.

I wouldn't trade him as a throw in or anything like that. I would in a package like that but if not, I'd much rather keep him. He fits the Tkachuk/Formenton relentless style Sens are trying to build.

I mean, not to nitpick. And I certainly don't mean any disrespect.

But the Sens had a insane prospect pool, they don't anymore. It's still incredibly solid, but it isn't as good as it was for the last couple of years. The graduations of Stutzle, Batherson, and Formenten have dropped them in comparison to other teams and allowed them to be surpassed in the rankings.

They were ranked the 13th best prospect pool in January by Scott Wheeler of the Athletic, and that's being kept afloat by Sanderson, Pinto, and Greig.

Currently, it's a good prospect pool, not a great one.
Jun. 27, 2022 at 12:13 p.m.
[quote\] He's actually pretty good, models his game after Gallagher. He had 16 pts in 19 games when he started in the AHL and received a lot of praise for coach Troy Mann. He continued to impress at the following rookie camp and preseason but unfortunately got injured long term. Sens have had an insane prospect pool the last few years that's why he completely flew under the radar.

A lot of people don't read or watch videos that quote twitter feeds from the likes of Elliot Friedman (and others). They would have to google something and from all the comments on the "teams" posted here you can tell they don't read a damn thing or watch anything lol.
For example, you still run into Hawks fans in denial that they are about to have a fire sale. The Hawks GM himself said to the press that the only guys he isn't talking about moving are Kane, Toews and Jones. The only reason those three are exempt is because they have full no move clauses. So the press guy asked him again to be sure and he repeated that statement. Everything is for sale except those three. Logically, if they waive their NMC, they are for sale as well. Apparently Kane has already said in the past that if they start a rebuild, he is gone. All the big talking heads from the sports networks and real world evidence (look at the Rangers) show that a complete rebuild takes about 5 years or so. So people say they would never trade A. DeBrinkcat. He is awesome and only 24. Well as the big talking heads with years of experience, training, big lists of contacts and access to the staff on the teams and players say, 24 now but by the time they even consider even just making the playoffs, he will be 29. Add another 3 -4 years maybe to compete for the cup. Now he is almost 35. Is he still effective? Maybe, a big maybe. He won't stay if he can't win a cup before he retires. I get that the fans are loyal to the death but the players aren't. They want the cup and after that they want the money. Some are reversed. They can get a lot more for him now than years down the road and the picks would be useless for the rebuild then. But in the meantime, they want to tank the season to get a higher 1st round pick for at least 3 years in a row. You have a bigger chance of doing that with bad players rather than good ones. One other side effect I noticed that people completely ignore sometimes here is that a team still needs to reach the salary cap floor of just over 60 million dollars. That is why teams take those bad contracts that are enormous in exchange for draft picks. "The (insert team name here) decline. (as if they worked there lol, sad and pathetic)" Well I hate to break it to those guys your team will take those to get to the floor and to tank the season. Not forever obviously but for the next 3-4 years yes they will. Hell, Arizona called the Canucks two weeks ago letting them know they are looking to take bad contracts. So yes some teams would take the Murray contract for a midrange draft pick. It is literally a freebie draft pick. But you can't tell this to a many on here or that a prospect is good now compared to when they last heard about them two years ago. Hell, some people think their favorite player on there team is worth Nathan MacKinnon sewn to Conner McDavid with Ovechkin's arms strapped to him and an extra set of eyes from sid the kid.
Disclaimer: No offense intended to Hawks fans. Just the latest example of a team headed into rebuild mode. That isn't a bad thing. Look at my Rangers smile[/quote]

This dudes on another planet! What are you even ranting about. Nobody's talking about debrincat or saying that the hawks aren't rebuilding. Reichel is only 20 years old. He barely got a sniff in the league so far. They're not trading him for cap dumps that the hawks don't need since they're already well above the cap floor. Maybe it's time to stop believing everything you read and start using some common sense.
Jun. 28, 2022 at 6:02 p.m.
Quoting: RazWild
I mean, not to nitpick. And I certainly don't mean any disrespect.

But the Sens had a insane prospect pool, they don't anymore. It's still incredibly solid, but it isn't as good as it was for the last couple of years. The graduations of Stutzle, Batherson, and Formenten have dropped them in comparison to other teams and allowed them to be surpassed in the rankings.

They were ranked the 13th best prospect pool in January by Scott Wheeler of the Athletic, and that's being kept afloat by Sanderson, Pinto, and Greig.

Currently, it's a good prospect pool, not a great one.

No obviously, the pool has already peaked. This is how we voted to 2020 pool after the draft (but age is on December 26th 2021)

1- Tim Stutzle (19 y/o)
2- Jake Sanderson (19 y/o)
3- Drake Batherson (23 y/o)
4- Josh Norris (22 y/o)
5- Erik Brannstrom (22 y/o)
6- Logan Brown (23 y/o)
7- Jacob Bernard-Docker (21 y/o)
8- Alex Formenton (22 y/o)
9- Shane Pinto (21 y/o)
10- Ridly Greig (19 y/o)
11- Roby Jarventie (19 y/o)
12- Rudolfs Balcers (24 y/o)
13- Vitali Abramov (23 y/o)
14- Joey Daccord (25 y/o)
15- Lassi Thomson (21 y/o)
16- Egor Sokolov (21 y/o)
17- Tyler Kleven (19 y/o)
18- Filip Chlapik (24 y/o)
19- Mads Søgaard (19 y/o)
20- Filip Gustavsson (23 y/o)
21- Max Lajoie ( y/o)
22- Kevin Mandolese ( y/o)
23- Angus Crookshank ( y/o)
24- Maxence Guénette ( y/o)
25- Jonathan Davidsson ( y/o)
26- Leevi Merilainen ( y/o)
27- Jonny Tychonick ( y/o)
28- Philippe Daoust ( y/o)
29- Parker Kelly ( y/o)
30- Mark Kastelic ( y/o)

Viktor Lodin (21 y/o) wasn't even ranked top-30. He came over NA at the end of the season, scored 5 goals in his first 10 AHL games to help his team qualify for the playoffs. That pool was insanity. A lot of guys graduated recently (Stutzle, Batherson, Norris, Brannstrom, Formenton, Balcers mainly) but the current pool is still very good and probably underrated (but agreed that other pools surpassed it now, not to the point of being 13th though)

From TSN's April list, Jake Sanderson was ranked #2 and Ridly Greig was ranked #18

https://www.tsn.ca/owen-power-top-nhl-prospects-1.1784400

Shane Pinto was not ranked but pretty much all Sens fan have him above Greig so you have 3 guys who might be top-20 worthy on many of these lists. But after that "big 3", there's still several quality prospects

Which teams have 3 high end prospects like that? I see Buffalo, Dallas and NJ having the same kind of top-3?

Ostapchuk : 39th OA pick from 2021, just had a huge coming out party in the WHL playoffs, he was still just 18 y/o
JBD : He won't score a lot of points in the NHL but could be quite good defensively. I see him as a 2nd pairing version of Jonas Brodin
Sogaard : 6'7 athletic goalie, "goalie of the future" IMO
Jarventie : early 2nd round pick in 2020, did very well in the pros as a teenager so far
Thomson : many started to write him off but he has been completely changing the tune after coming to NA. He looked quite promising this season
Kleven : Sens traded up to get him and based on his development, you understand why some teams really wanted him
Sokolov : If this guy was a good skater, he'd be a Top-6 NHL forward already. He won't be as a good as Mark Stone but could bring some qualities to a NHL team. High skill level and a heavy shot
Boucher : Most Sens fans didn't like this pick, 10th OA from last year, not even in our top-10 lol

Lodin, Crookshank, Gustavsson, Kastelic and Kelly are also pretty decent prospects. And with a few darkhorses like Daoust, Guenette, Johansson and Merilainen, the top-20 is still pretty solid. Not much depth after that though. Not even ranking recent 2nd round pick Ben Roger in the top-20 lol

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll