Forums/Armchair-GM

ARZ LA TOR Draft Day Blockbuster Leafs POV

Created by: GMBL
Team: 2022-23 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 30, 2022
Published: Jun. 30, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Based off this mock trade of mine https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/604597
(reasoning is in the comments there)

Trade break down:

Trade Value Breakdown:

Leafs:
Nylander for Kempe+Quick (Assuming Sandin = Durzi, TOR are favored in this trade so they need to add something but goes to ARZ since LA has favor in the Chychrun deal)
Sandin for Durzi

Kings:
Kempe+Quick for Nylander
Turcotte+Durzi+2023 1st (LA) for Chychrun

Coyotes:
Chychrun for Turcotte, Sandin, 2023 LA 1st
2.9m Quick retention for Leafs 2nd
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,000,000
8$5,500,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Durzi, Sean [RFA Rights]
  2. Kempe, Adrian [RFA Rights]
  3. Quick, Jonathan ($2,900,000 retained)
Additional Details:
Quick retention is done by Arz for a Leafs 2nd
LAK
  1. Nylander, William
Additional Details:
3-way trade
TOR
    Chychrun goes to LA
    Turcotte + 2023 1st (LA) to ARZ
    ARI
    1. Sandin, Rasmus [RFA Rights]
    2. 2024 2nd round pick (TOR)
    Additional Details:
    3-way trade
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    21$82,500,000$77,389,917$212,500$0$5,110,083
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
    $950,000$950,000
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $11,640,250$11,640,250
    C
    UFA - 2
    $10,903,000$10,903,000
    RW
    UFA - 3
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    LW, C, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $11,000,000$11,000,000
    C, LW
    NMC
    UFA - 3
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 4
    $796,667$796,667
    LW, RW
    RFA - 2
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    $900,000$900,000
    RW, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $762,500$762,500
    LW
    UFA - 2
    $850,000$850,000
    LW, C
    RFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $7,500,000$7,500,000
    LD
    NMC
    UFA - 8
    $1,400,000$1,400,000
    RD
    RFA - 2
    Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
    $0$0
    G
    UFA - 1
    $5,625,000$5,625,000
    LD
    NTC
    UFA - 2
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    LD/RD
    NTC
    UFA - 2
    $3,800,000$3,800,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $800,000$800,000
    LD
    UFA - 2
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    LD/RD
    RFA - 2
    $750,000$750,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jun. 30, 2022 at 12:25 p.m.
    Durzi has a way higher value in my mind than given in this trade, I also don' think 2 x 2 gets an extenion done with him, he will want more.
    Jun. 30, 2022 at 12:26 p.m.
    If someone completes this team for starting day, please ping me.
    Jun. 30, 2022 at 12:27 p.m.
    So the leafs weaken their biggest weakness and get an old assgoalie with one ok season in 5 years?
    Jun. 30, 2022 at 12:28 p.m.
    Quoting: NDoody
    Durzi has a way higher value in my mind than given in this trade, I also don' think 2 x 2 gets an extenion done with him, he will want more.

I think his value would be similar to Sandin, he also doesn't have Arb rights I do think he gets more than 2 for 2 but I just signed him to show how it would look post draft day.
    LA gets pretty good value in the end, but Tor probably needs to give up something that would likely end up in ARZ as a sweetner.
    Jun. 30, 2022 at 12:30 p.m.
    Quoting: JaredOfLondon
    So the leafs weaken their biggest weakness and get an old assgoalie with one ok season in 5 years?

I'm not a fan of it but apparently the Leafs are interested in Quick (still, been a rumor for a while now ) and the Kings interested in Nylander and Laine (but I see Nylander as a better fit since Nylander's contract expires at the same time as Kopitar, and Laine probably wants 9m). Ofc Mrazek is still getting shipped off and someone else will be playing with Quick in this tandem if it does happen, this team isn't complete it's just what it would look at after deadline.
    Jun. 30, 2022 at 12:38 p.m.
    Lambchopz17
    This trade is so bad for us lmao. Nylander is a lot better than Kempe, Sandin >> Durzi ceiling wise + is younger and likely better heading into next year. We’re paying an additional 2nd, and Quick is not going to solve our problems
    Jun. 30, 2022 at 12:55 p.m.
    Quoting: Lambchopz
    This trade is so bad for us lmao. Nylander is a lot better than Kempe, Sandin >> Durzi ceiling wise + is younger and likely better heading into next year. We’re paying an additional 2nd, and Quick is not going to solve our problems

I agree, but I can see it happening if it's true that the Leafs are interested in Quick. Sandin is two years younger, and I believe he does have a higher ceiling but if the Leafs can't move Muzzin, I'm thinking he's the odd man out. He is concerned about what his playing opportunity next year would be, sending him to ARZ would give him the ice-time. If Sandin is considered to be worth a lot more that Durzi in value between the two GMs it would be LA paying for retention.

I'm sure other picks would have to be moved around to balance the trade too. f something like this does happen though, I hope that the Leafs would replace Nylander with Necas somehow, and sign Husso.
    Jun. 30, 2022 at 12:56 p.m.
    Quoting: GMBL
    I'm not a fan of it but apparently the Leafs are interested in Quick (still, been a rumor for a while now ) and the Kings interested in Nylander and Laine (but I see Nylander as a better fit since Nylander's contract expires at the same time as Kopitar, and Laine probably wants 9m). Ofc Mrazek is still getting shipped off and someone else will be playing with Quick in this tandem if it does happen, this team isn't complete it's just what it would look at after deadline.

but that doesnt address the issues with the trade. Even if the leafs are interested in quick, he isnt worth nylander because he's been bad for 4/5ths of the last 5 years and simply ok last year. And then this means the leafs still need to add on forward and need to add another guy on top of nylander now .
    You want quick that bad, you trade something a lot less valuable for him
    Jun. 30, 2022 at 1:03 p.m.
    but that doesnt address the issues with the trade. Even if the leafs are interested in quick, he isnt worth nylander because he's been bad for 4/5ths of the last 5 years and simply ok last year. And then this means the leafs still need to add on forward and need to add another guy on top of nylander now .
    You want quick that bad, you trade something a lot less valuable for him

From the Leafs perspective it's essentially Kempe+Durzi for Nylander+Sandin in the long-term, I do think the Leafs guys are better but the Kings guys get overvalued. If the Leafs trade Nylander, they are most likely going to lose the trade, that's why I think they should keep him. If it does happen though I would hope Necas is coming in to replace him, and if the Kings give the Leafs pieces for that then the Leafs might come out on top, when it's all said and done.
    Jun. 30, 2022 at 1:04 p.m.
    Quoting: GMBL
    From the Leafs perspective it's essentially Kempe+Durzi for Nylander+Sandin in the long-term, I do think the Leafs guys are better but the Kings guys get overvalued. If the Leafs trade Nylander, they are most likely going to lose the trade, that's why I think they should keep him. If it does happen though I would hope Necas is coming in to replace him, and if the Kings give the Leafs pieces for that then the Leafs might come out on top, when it's all said and done.

but again, the issue isnt replacing Nylander, it's simply that they need another one on the team, not just replacing the current one. If you replace him, no matter win or losing the trade for him, you still need another top 6 winger.
    Jun. 30, 2022 at 1:27 p.m.
    but again, the issue isnt replacing Nylander, it's simply that they need another one on the team, not just replacing the current one. If you replace him, no matter win or losing the trade for him, you still need another top 6 winger.

They are getting Kempe for Nylander which is someone with different skill sets (even if it is a downgrade in terms of trade value), so they still just need to add another top 6 guy since they technically replaced him already. Kempe wasn't a PPG last year but he did score 35G.

In terms of cap, if Mrazek gets moved in a trade and not buyout (perhaps he should be included in the trade going to ARZ). They get 0.9m in cap back.
    Nylander for Kempe at 5.5m (personally I would hope they get him for less even if it means less term but went with big hit with term) is ~1.5m back in cap.
    I think the Leafs could convince Durzi to take whatever they would have given Sandin or less (both aren't eligible for arbitration)

So an extra 2.4m, which can be used for a 1B at the least. They can even pay Campbell I think (and with Quick on the team, he might be even more keen to stay).

Can then move Kerfoot and Holl's 5.5m to make space to sign Necas or acquire another potential top 6 guy that they can have team control over.

I'll make the moves just to show the cap situation in a bit, I'm going to choose to buy out Mrazek though.
    Jun. 30, 2022 at 1:56 p.m.
    You also have to take into consideration that a it pertains to Nylander, Dubas will not be dealing from a position of strength as much as desperation. 5 first round exit and it's compounded with the overall pressure of succeeding in Toronto. What's overall stats a lot of his underlying stats were some of the best of his career. The three previous seasons the team wasn't very good so that couldn't have helped and I am sure Dubis would be getting him because of his playoff résumé. Because of his competitive nature and playoff experience he would be someone that could probably get them at least to the second round and would also probably play well in front of a very good Toronto team.
    Jun. 30, 2022 at 2:13 p.m.
    Quoting: Joekings09
    You also have to take into consideration that a it pertains to Nylander, Dubas will not be dealing from a position of strength as much as desperation. 5 first round exit and it's compounded with the overall pressure of succeeding in Toronto. What's overall stats a lot of his underlying stats were some of the best of his career. The three previous seasons the team wasn't very good so that couldn't have helped and I am sure Dubis would be getting him because of his playoff résumé. Because of his competitive nature and playoff experience he would be someone that could probably get them at least to the second round and would also probably play well in front of a very good Toronto team.

Yeah, that's why the Leafs aren't getting full value in terms of trade value for Nylander and Sandin. It's like overpaying for rentals on trade deadline, If it works then it's great. The Leafs are also getting some cap flexibility, which could allow them to make this trade more favorable towards them potentially.

I think trading Nylander away and trading for Quick is kind of a desperate move, but Dubas is in an extension year, so if it's another first round exit, he's probably not back. Blake and Armstrong don't have to worry about their jobs.

The frame of this trade does give all 3 GMs what they want, they will have to battle for who get the advantage if any in terms of straight trade value in regards to the pieces involved.
    Joekings09 liked this.
    Jun. 30, 2022 at 2:24 p.m.
    Cap flexibility can never be overstated. The main thing to focus on is definitely Dubas being in a contract year and desperate in someway for them to succeed past the first round. You would be hard-pressed to think of another GM in the league who would be more desperate then him
    GMBL liked this.
    Jun. 30, 2022 at 2:27 p.m.
    Quoting: Joekings09
    Cap flexibility can never be overstated. The main thing to focus on is definitely Dubas being in a contract year and desperate in someway for them to succeed past the first round. You would be hard-pressed to think of another GM in the league who would be more desperate then him

I also think this move would be a calculated risk, so it's realistic for Dubas to do. I would hate it though, unless he landed Necas for cheap, or another potential Nylander replacement with similar upside.
    Jun. 30, 2022 at 2:54 p.m.
    I would wonder if Dubas would ask LA about ****emo. He's a Swedish winger with a great shot and has a knack for scoring goals and scored 27 in the AHL last season. I don't know if he would be a comparable for necks but he certainly would have some upside

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll