SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Armchair-GM

For THAT Price?! No thanks (my dream scenario Habs team)

Team: 2017-18 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: May 11, 2017
Published: May 11, 2017
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Speculation would have it that Price wants between 9.5-10.5mil per year, so i see Bergevin taking one last kick at the can and making another blockbuster move this summer. To the dismay of most, but to some French-Quebecers, they'll be content with a home grown boy backstopping their blue-blanc-rouge...
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
6$5,600,000
2$900,000
2$1,100,000
2$900,000
2$900,000
2$900,000
4$5,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,800,000
4$6,000,000
2$900,000
6$6,000,000
Kovalchuk, Ilya
3$5,000,000
Trades
MTL
    RFA rights to Anthony Duclair
    ARI
      RFA rights to Nathan Beaulieu
      MTL
      1. Fleury, Marc-André
      2. Sprong, Daniel
      3. 2018 2nd round pick (PIT)
      Additional Details:
      Rights to Justin Schultz
      MTL
        Expansion Draft
        VGK
        1. Montoya, Al
        2. Plekanec, Tomas
        3. 2018 2nd round pick (MTL)
        Additional Details:
        Montoya + Pick included for agreeing to take Plekanec
        MTL
        1. 2018 2nd round pick (NJD)
        2. 2018 2nd round pick (FLA)
        Additional Details:
        rights to Ilya Kovalchuk
        NJD
        1. Juulsen, Noah
        2. Lehkonen, Artturi
        3. Mitchell, Torrey
        4. 2018 1st round pick (MTL)
        5. 2018 3rd round pick (MTL)
        MTL
        1. Simmonds, Wayne
        2. 2018 2nd round pick (PHI)
        Retained Salary Transactions
        DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
        Logo of the CHI
        Logo of the WSH
        Logo of the PIT
        Logo of the NJD
        Logo of the FLA
        Logo of the PHI
        Logo of the MTL
        Logo of the MTL
        Logo of the MTL
        Logo of the MTL
        Logo of the MTL
        Logo of the MTL
        Logo of the MTL
        Logo of the MTL
        Logo of the MTL
        Logo of the MTL
        Logo of the MTL
        Logo of the MTL
        Logo of the MTL
        Logo of the MTL
        Logo of the MTL
        Logo of the MTL
        ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
        24$75,000,000$71,822,976$0$1,032,500$3,177,024
        Left WingCentreRight Wing
        $4,050,000$4,050,000
        LW
        UFA - 2
        $912,500$912,500
        C
        UFA - 1
        $6,000,000$6,000,000
        RW
        UFA - 8
        Kovalchuk, Ilya
        $5,000,000$5,000,000
        $5,600,000$5,600,000
        LW, C, RW
        UFA - 3
        $6,000,000$6,000,000
        RW
        UFA - 5
        $3,975,000$3,975,000
        RW, LW
        M-NTC
        UFA - 2
        $900,000$900,000
        C, LW, RW
        UFA - 2
        $6,000,000$6,000,000
        RW
        UFA - 2
        $1,166,667$1,166,667
        LW, RW
        UFA - 2
        $1,100,000$1,100,000
        LW, RW
        UFA - 1
        $900,000$900,000
        C, LW
        UFA - 1
        $900,000$900,000
        C
        UFA - 1
        $692,500$692,500 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
        RW, LW
        UFA - 1
        Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
        $2,000,000$2,000,000
        LD
        UFA - 3
        $7,857,143$7,857,143
        RD
        UFA - 9
        $5,750,000$5,750,000
        G
        M-NTC, NMC
        UFA - 2
        $5,000,000$5,000,000
        RD
        UFA - 3
        $1,100,000$1,100,000
        LD/RD
        UFA - 2
        $900,000$900,000
        G
        UFA - 1
        $2,800,000$2,800,000
        LD
        UFA
        $894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
        LD/RD
        UFA - 3
        $925,000$925,000
        LD
        UFA - 1
        $900,000$900,000
        LD
        UFA

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
        • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
        May 11, 2017 at 7:49 p.m.
        10.5 mill a year for a goalie? Yikes
        May 11, 2017 at 7:51 p.m.
        LOL
        1. I wouldn' trade lehkonen for kovalchuk straight up.
        2. If you're trading Price you better be getting more than that. Also, Pitts pretty much has t trade one of fleury or Murray, you wouldn't need to give up that much to get either one.
        3. you're trading away a lot of youth for help now, meaning this is a "win now" team, yet we're even weaker down the middle than we were this past season
        May 11, 2017 at 8:03 p.m.
        Price cannot go to Pittsburgh because of their cap situation. Price will draw a small fortune. Trading him would be the biggest deal since Gretzky to LA.
        May 11, 2017 at 8:41 p.m.
        Minnesota Wild
        Hard pass from the Wild. Scandella would only be moved to clear cap space and/or as part of a package to help fill team needs. Emelin is a LHD that costs $100k more than Scandy and is 4 years older. This would hurt us more than it would help. Reway only adds to the glut of LW prospects we have in the system. Very little chance he would ever make the roster.
        May 11, 2017 at 10:58 p.m.
        Banned
        Quoting: gallysmoustache
        LOL
        1. I wouldn' trade lehkonen for kovalchuk straight up.
        2. If you're trading Price you better be getting more than that. Also, Pitts pretty much has t trade one of fleury or Murray, you wouldn't need to give up that much to get either one.
        3. you're trading away a lot of youth for help now, meaning this is a "win now" team, yet we're even weaker down the middle than we were this past season

1. that's your prerogative, but kovalchuk is a scoring winger who can score 20-30 that the Habs badly need.
        2. Price will be in the last year of his contract, so why would a team sell the farm for him this season if they can just get him next year for nothing by offering him the big bucks?
        3. did you miss something? i'm pretty sure Bergevin made it abundantly clear last off-season that this squad is exactly that, a WIN NOW team. And weak up the middle, yes, but like Bergy said, Centers are hard to find/acquire so you might as well just bolster the wings instead.
        May 11, 2017 at 11:00 p.m.
        Banned
        Quoting: futurehofer
        Hard pass from the Wild. Scandella would only be moved to clear cap space and/or as part of a package to help fill team needs. Emelin is a LHD that costs $100k more than Scandy and is 4 years older. This would hurt us more than it would help. Reway only adds to the glut of LW prospects we have in the system. Very little chance he would ever make the roster.

I appreciate the insight you have on the Wild. What would it take, in your opinion, to pry Marco out of Minny? Keeping in mind he had probably a worse season than Emelin...
        May 11, 2017 at 11:01 p.m.
        Banned
        Quoting: Dylan1995
        10.5 mill a year for a goalie? Yikes

Crazy, right? IMO you cannot win with a goalie making more than 7-8mil a year. Any goalie in the league can get hot at the right time come playoffs. (i.e.: Matt Murray)
        May 12, 2017 at 2:37 a.m.
        Minnesota Wild
        Quoting: mce_mtl

I appreciate the insight you have on the Wild. What would it take, in your opinion, to pry Marco out of Minny? Keeping in mind he had probably a worse season than Emelin...

I'm not sure but that's mostly because outside of Galchenyuk and Gallagher (2 guys I've followed the last few years), I'm not too familiar with the Habs system. Basically the areas we're trying to improve this summer are our RD and RW depth as well as adding a finisher up front if possible.

We have a ton of LD but not much on the right side. That would be a prerequisite so we could (hopefully) offload Dumba in the near future. We have so much LW depth that Granlund and Parise were forced to RW for large parts of last season. With guys like Kaprizov and Greenway coming in a couple years, we can't take on any more LWs.

If none of those options work, I could see him going for a couple picks (hopefully a couple 2nds or a 2nd and 3rd?) just to free up cap space. Granlund and Nino are RFAs looking for raises and we're right up on the cap with very little coming off the books July 1st. I love Scandy but he's realistically gone next year no matter what because of his cap hit.
        May 12, 2017 at 5:56 a.m.
        Scandella/Beaulieu is all I could see working. The more refined shutdown d-man for some cap relief and a replacement player. Nothing else really fits value wise between the two clubs. Galchenyuk would be the player I want, but that would be selling really low for MTL.

Scandella had arthroscopic hip surgery recently, and guessing it was something that bothered him all season. So I think he'll have a nice rebound season next year.
        May 12, 2017 at 10:23 a.m.
        Quoting: mce_mtl

I'm not sure but that's mostly because outside of Galchenyuk and Gallagher (2 guys I've followed the last few years), I'm not too familiar with the Habs system. Basically the areas we're trying to improve this summer are our RD and RW depth as well as adding a finisher up front if possible.

We have a ton of LD but not much on the right side. That would be a prerequisite so we could (hopefully) offload Dumba in the near future. We have so much LW depth that Granlund and Parise were forced to RW for large parts of last season. With guys like Kaprizov and Greenway coming in a couple years, we can't take on any more LWs.

If none of those options work, I could see him going for a couple picks (hopefully a couple 2nds or a 2nd and 3rd?) just to free up cap space. Granlund and Nino are RFAs looking for raises and we're right up on the cap with very little coming off the books July 1st. I love Scandy but he's realistically gone next year no matter what because of his cap hit.

Regarding your reference to Dumba... would you do a Dumba for Eberle trade? What pieces would Edmonton need to add? Ethan Bear? Retained salary? Picks?
        May 12, 2017 at 10:26 a.m.
        I get that centers are harder to acquire, but this team is laughably weak down the middle for a supposed Cup contender.

You could have at least made an effort to get one of the centers that IS available - Duchene, Nugent-Hopkins (allegedly), Boyle, Hanzal, Thornton, etc.
        May 12, 2017 at 10:32 a.m.
        Quoting: CD282

Regarding your reference to Dumba... would you do a Dumba for Eberle trade? What pieces would Edmonton need to add? Ethan Bear? Retained salary? Picks?

For Ebs it would almost have to be half retained. Not fair by any means, but the Wild can't take on cap and still keep their own RFAs. They need to shed salary not take it on. The only cap dump returning would be Pominville, and I'd rather have Pommer than Ebs on the Wild. Pommer just is a better fit for the team.
        May 14, 2017 at 10:32 p.m.
        Quoting: wabit
        Quoting: CD282

For Ebs it would almost have to be half retained. Not fair by any means, but the Wild can't take on cap and still keep their own RFAs. They need to shed salary not take it on. The only cap dump returning would be Pominville, and I'd rather have Pommer than Ebs on the Wild. Pommer just is a better fit for the team.

So Eberle ($3MM retained) for Dumba straight up... sounds fair. Dumba has potential, but needs some further development. I think it's worth the risk.
        May 14, 2017 at 10:43 p.m.
        rokkinman139
        Hard pass on the Flyers trade. They don't need any D so Petry and Davidson are off the table. Hextall already said he's going younger with the D and that means bringing two of our D prospects up (probably Hagg and Morin) They don't need any more bottom six talent, so Shaw is out. They currently have about 10 guys fighting for 5 spots in the bottom six. We don't need a goalie prospect so Fucale is out. Sandstrom just backstopped Brynas to the SHL finals and Carter Hart is poised to win his second consecutive CHL Goalie of the Year after taking home his second WHL Goalie of the Year. Stolarz is more than likely NHL ready and Lyon is ready to hold down the fort in the AHL. Why would they give up an alternate captain, who is probably the best net front presence and has probably the best value, non-ELC contract in the NHL, AND a second round pick to shoot themselves in the foot four times? If you're giving up Gally for that, then there is something to discuss.

To create a post please Login or Register
        Question:
        Options:
        Add Option
        Submit Poll