SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Mock-Draft

Post WJC Redraft, First Round Only

Post WJC Redraft, First Round Only

Draft Class: 2021
Created By: dls9
Published: Aug. 22, 2022 at 1:41 p.m.
Description
HEAVILY influenced (but not all) by the recent 2022 WJC.
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-These guys don't move
2Logo of the Seattle Kraken-see above.
3Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-I might get a lot of hate for this, but I have to give some love to the only guy in the first round to make his team out of camp. I still put him below Power & Beniers, who joined after their NCAA season ended but would have played and outperformed Sillinger ... and maybe other players like McTavish would have performed better if he was given the same chance at the NHL level, but I'll put Sillinger at 3.
4Logo of the New Jersey Devils-Best player at the 2022 WJC. He should move up, not down ... but he can't pass Beniers, Power or Sillinger (as these guys have already arrived at the NHL level and would have probably dominated at the WJC)
5Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-Best G in the tournament. Also had a very good season in the SHL with a .917
6Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-Great year at UMichigan, and had a good tournament at the WJC with 9 points in games and the golden goal. He reminds me a LOT of Mitch Marner, which any team would want.
7Logo of the San Jose Sharks-Crazy good freshmen season at Michigan, out producing Sophmore Owen Power on the same team (albeit, in 9 more games played). Didn't dominate as much as I would have wanted to see in the WJC, but only dropping 3.
8Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-Off the board (ish). LA wanted an offensive D at 8. They took Brandt Clark. They should have taken Olen Zellweger. Guy is a beast, and was the best D at the WJC. 78 points in 55 CHL games too. He's a top 10 pick in any 2021 re-draft.
9Logo of the Arizona CoyotesLogo of the Vancouver CanucksFirst guy on this list to not play at the WJC (besides top 3). But Wyatt Johnson deserves to be top 10. 124 points (46G,78A) in 68 OHL games. 41 points in 25 OHL playoff games. He's a top 10 pick.
10Logo of the Ottawa Senators-Hard to rank where Eklund fits. He didn't play at the WJC (presumably to prepare for Sharks camp). I think his D+1 SHL season is a little underwhelming (14 points - one goal in 29 games). But he preformed well in 9 games with the sharks initially, so I think he still deserves to be top 10.
11Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-
Draft Pick Forfeited
12Logo of the Columbus Blue JacketsLogo of the Chicago Blackhawks
Aatu Räty (+40 )
Raty should have gone this high initially. But a bad draft year sent him to the 2nd round. I think, we're seeing now he deserved to be a top 15 pick. 40 points in 41 D+1 games in Lliga, and 10 points in 7 WJC games.
13Logo of the Calgary Flames-I did say in the description that the WJC will be heavily influencing this re-draft, and Stankoven had a great WJC. Like Raty, 10 points in 7 games but he also had a great CHL D+1 with 104 points (45G,49A) in 59 games along with 17 goals in 17 playoff games. A player who reminds me of Brayden Point, was taken too low because of his size but is definitely a first rounder.
14Logo of the Buffalo SabresLogo of the Philadelphia FlyersA guy who dropped because of the WJC but still had an outstanding SHL D+1 with Frolunda. Again, if this wasn't a WJC focused redraft Edvinsson would still be top 10 but alas, he wasn't noticeable throughout this tournament.
15Logo of the Detroit Red WingsLogo of the Dallas StarsHard to let Guenther drop any lower than this - only because he didn't play this WJC. But, when comparing D+1 seasons to his peers (Stankoven, Johnson) he would have a lower ranking
16Logo of the New York Rangers-Matt Coronato had a fine WJC (7 points in 5 games) and a good D+1 freshmen season at Harvard (36 points - 18G,18A in 34 GP) but nothing outstanding. Probably still a mid round pick
17Logo of the St. Louis Blues-Didn't play in the WJC but was a QMJHL powerhouse this season with 99 points in 65 games (55G,44A). St Louis took him right where he should have gone.
18Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-Othman had an OK WJC (6 points 6 games) and a decent D+1 OHL season with 97 points (50G,47A) in 66GP.
19Logo of the Nashville Predators-Lysell had an OK WJC (6 points in 7 games), and an OK freshman CHL season (62 points in 53 games) but he ate his opponents during Vancouver's playoffs, and helped upset the 1st playoff seed with 21 points in 12 games (4G,17A).
20Logo of the Minnesota WildLogo of the Edmonton OilersCeulemans lead his NCAA Wisconsin team in points as a freshman from the AJHL with 22 points in 34 GP, but was on a horrible team. I still think it shows flashes of being a good top 4D.
21Logo of the Boston Bruins-Hard to evaluate Cossa. He didn't play much at the WJC and had a .913 sv percentage in his D+1 ... which is down significantly from his .941 in his draft year.
22Logo of the Edmonton OilersLogo of the Minnesota WildDidn't make his WJC team in his D+1 despite being the highest picked canadian D in the draft, and showed no growth in his D+1 season from a production standpoint.
23Logo of the Dallas StarsLogo of the Washington Capitals
24Logo of the Florida Panthers-
25Logo of the Columbus Blue JacketsLogo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
26Logo of the Minnesota WildLogo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
27Logo of the Nashville PredatorsLogo of the Carolina Hurricanes
28Logo of the Colorado Avalanche-
29Logo of the New Jersey DevilsLogo of the New York Islanders
Zach Dean (+1 )
30Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights-
31Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-
32Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
Aug. 22, 2022 at 2:05 p.m.
Nah theres no scenario where McTavish isnt who the Ducks instantly take
SpinyLiving liked this.
Aug. 22, 2022 at 2:37 p.m.
I think Sillinger definitely goes higher than he was picked but I don't think any of the top 4 picks would change, maybe even the top 5.
Aug. 22, 2022 at 3:30 p.m.
SLAFKOVKSY
If anything McTavish goes 2nd, not 4th.
Aug. 22, 2022 at 4:02 p.m.
Just because Sillinger made his team doesn’t mean he’s better than McTavish…
And if we’re using Sillinger making his team as a reason he’s higher than McTavish, Ducks offered McTavish an NHL spot but he chose to play in major junior for another year.
Aug. 22, 2022 at 8:00 p.m.
free ville
I wouldn't be surprised if Zellweger plays in the NHL this year.
Aug. 22, 2022 at 10:16 p.m.
I understand the logic, but man... I don't see how Anaheim could pass on McTavish
Aug. 23, 2022 at 2:42 p.m.
Bedard23
Power and Beniers didn’t go because I think they’re focused on making the nhl this year

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll