SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Washington Capitals

2022-2023 Season Thread #1

Oct. 30, 2022 at 7:42 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
question. did we win and play a great defensive game because carlson wasnt playing
Oct. 31, 2022 at 11:41 a.m.
Oshie out indefinitely. Carlson day-to-day but out tonight...

Are we looking for trades asap for top 6 forwards or letting it play out and see if the Caps are even in a playoff hunt come December / January?

I understand Caps mgmt thinks they are a contending team, but do they hold back on the trade front after a sub-par start and even more injuries?

I only ask because look at last TDL. GMBM even stated they aren't going all in because of the team's recent play (understanding they don't want to give up resources when they are not looking terribly great)...
capsfan2121 liked this.
Oct. 31, 2022 at 12:40 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
would getting mier and garland be a crazy idea
Oct. 31, 2022 at 1:22 p.m.
Quoting: capsfan2121
would getting mier and garland be a crazy idea

I think at this point, if the Caps want to remain competitive for the year, a top 6 forward acquisition is a must. I don't see them staying afloat with the current roster performing the way it is. Even by Wilson coming back in December-ish, I don't see them staying afloat until then...November is a really hard month (schedule wise).
capsfan2121 and qc14 liked this.
Oct. 31, 2022 at 1:24 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Quoting: All_Knowing
I think at this point, if the Caps want to remain competitive for the year, a top 6 forward acquisition is a must. I don't see them staying afloat with the current roster performing the way it is. Even by Wilson coming back in December-ish, I don't see them staying afloat until then...November is a really hard month (schedule wise).

horvat and meier. i think we would be good.
All_Knowing liked this.
Nov. 1, 2022 at 10:32 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
fun fact.

jensen and dowd played at st cloud together and then dowd played with charle at st cloud too
NoVaSpartan liked this.
Nov. 1, 2022 at 1:57 p.m.
Brown underwent ACL surgery - return is "highly unlikely" this season, according to Nick Kypreos...

Nothing terribly surprisingly honestly - just confirmation.

About last night's game:

I thought it was actually a solid performance led by defense and goaltending. Hurricanes have such a strong team and identity (forechecking / shot the puck from wherever). Thought Keumper looked great. Thought both Jensen and Orlov looked great (honestly the whole defense did). Ovi-Strome-Sheary line was fantastic. McM was pretty bad - looks terribly unconfident in his game. MoJo had a down game. Powerplay continues to frustrate me (despite the goal).

I am MORE THAN HAPPY to get a point on the road with a depleted team. I am quite nervous for tonight though. I have a feeling our legs will be tired. I think Snively needs to be in (and McM out). That second line needs to play regular minutes (and team needs to not take penalties)
qc14, NoVaSpartan and capsfan2121 liked this.
Nov. 4, 2022 at 12:42 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
depression

i love this team more than anything in the world. im not upset rn. mangement and coaching since the cup run has put a permanent stain. the reason why team are success is because youth. this team has it but they arent talented enough to get that needed goal with a minute left in the game. three of our best fore checkers are on ir rn. we need something. fu"" bmac. bura and vrana. WYATT JOHNSTON. we are mediocre.
Nov. 4, 2022 at 8:05 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
sprong has 7 points in 6 games.

how angry am i.

yes
Nov. 4, 2022 at 11:00 a.m.
depression

i love this team more than anything in the world. im not upset rn. mangement and coaching since the cup run has put a permanent stain. the reason why team are success is because youth. this team has it but they arent talented enough to get that needed goal with a minute left in the game. three of our best fore checkers are on ir rn. we need something. fu"" bmac. bura and vrana. WYATT JOHNSTON. we are mediocre.

The "big time players" for the Caps that remain need to step up. Ovi looked pretty solid last night (and pissed at the end, for the second game in a row). Kuzy had some GREAT chances, but literally is the most unlucky player right now. Still, need him to pot some goals here. Sheary was kinda a no show. TVR is looking great. Kuemper looks great.

But come on Anthony Mantha. NO goals in the last 7 games - and a few of those games he DIDN'T EVEN HAVE A SHOT?!?! The dude needs to be more consistent. Honestly, 11 games in and Kuzy not having a goal is concerning, yes. But at least he is using his speed to create chances. Last night I thought was his best game. Mantha - where are you? He is a huge player with a nasty shot - where are you?

I just think teams can only take so many injuries. And right now, the Caps are at their "limit". You cannot rely on players like Snively, McM, Protas, Eller, MoJo (who has been great and exceeding expectations) etc to score those big, much needed goals. Nothing against them (and the Caps really don't have any internal options), but relying on those guys is just not an option.

There was a rumor about Canadians reaching out to the Caps very recently about a possible trade, but Caps said they will look for internal options now. Yes, we have some youth players who COULD be middle 6 guys, but now is NOT the time to be experimenting. Go out and get a middle 6 vet - Dadanov, Hoffman, whatever. We have cap space - go out and use it. We need a guy on the 3rd line who can produce offense.

Saturday vs the Coyotes HAS TO be a win. After that, I believe the Caps have 7 games against teams who probably will make the playoffs. Need to have a win Saturday and then win 4 outta the next 7...that would be a huge turnaround.
capsfan2121 liked this.
Nov. 4, 2022 at 11:06 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
The "big time players" for the Caps that remain need to step up. Ovi looked pretty solid last night (and pissed at the end, for the second game in a row). Kuzy had some GREAT chances, but literally is the most unlucky player right now. Still, need him to pot some goals here. Sheary was kinda a no show. TVR is looking great. Kuemper looks great.

But come on Anthony Mantha. NO goals in the last 7 games - and a few of those games he DIDN'T EVEN HAVE A SHOT?!?! The dude needs to be more consistent. Honestly, 11 games in and Kuzy not having a goal is concerning, yes. But at least he is using his speed to create chances. Last night I thought was his best game. Mantha - where are you? He is a huge player with a nasty shot - where are you?

I just think teams can only take so many injuries. And right now, the Caps are at their "limit". You cannot rely on players like Snively, McM, Protas, Eller, MoJo (who has been great and exceeding expectations) etc to score those big, much needed goals. Nothing against them (and the Caps really don't have any internal options), but relying on those guys is just not an option.

There was a rumor about Canadians reaching out to the Caps very recently about a possible trade, but Caps said they will look for internal options now. Yes, we have some youth players who COULD be middle 6 guys, but now is NOT the time to be experimenting. Go out and get a middle 6 vet - Dadanov, Hoffman, whatever. We have cap space - go out and use it. We need a guy on the 3rd line who can produce offense.

Saturday vs the Coyotes HAS TO be a win. After that, I believe the Caps have 7 games against teams who probably will make the playoffs. Need to have a win Saturday and then win 4 outta the next 7...that would be a huge turnaround.

we dont want hoffman

and i hope it isnt daddy
All_Knowing liked this.
Nov. 4, 2022 at 11:07 a.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan

I'm not a big fan of blaming Laviolette for everything like a lot of the twitter people, but part of this has got to be on Lavy. Mantha has clearly suffered from being stuck with Eller (I think @AllenCaps1995 had a stat about their play together but Twitter is bugging again for me), and outside of last night, looked lost trying to deal with that 3rd line. Washington needs to be giving him more time with others out of the lineup (I'd consider putting him on the first line) and they need to stop burying him in the lineup.
All_Knowing liked this.
Nov. 4, 2022 at 11:09 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
Quoting: NoVaSpartan
I'm not a big fan of blaming Laviolette for everything like a lot of the twitter people, but part of this has got to be on Lavy. Mantha has clearly suffered from being stuck with Eller (I think AllenCaps1995 had a stat about their play together but Twitter is bugging again for me), and outside of last night, looked lost trying to deal with that 3rd line. Washington needs to be giving him more time with others out of the lineup (I'd consider putting him on the first line) and they need to stop burying him in the lineup.

i thought the third yesterday was mikey eller protas
Nov. 4, 2022 at 12:00 p.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
i thought the third yesterday was mikey eller protas

Yes, meant to clarify that I’m referring to outside of last night
capsfan2121 liked this.
Nov. 4, 2022 at 2:51 p.m.
Aubé-Kubel just got waived. Wouldn't be surprised if the Caps look into (key words there) claiming him with his $1mil contract. I am not saying hes better than our internal options (McM, Milano, Snively, etc), but adds some forward depth that is always needed. Worse case, you just put him back on waivers
capsfan2121 liked this.
Nov. 4, 2022 at 3:39 p.m.
Aubé-Kubel just got waived. Wouldn't be surprised if the Caps look into (key words there) claiming him with his $1mil contract. I am not saying hes better than our internal options (McM, Milano, Snively, etc), but adds some forward depth that is always needed. Worse case, you just put him back on waivers

Malenstyn out 6-8 weeks after surgery on finger. Can't catch a break.
capsfan2121 liked this.
Nov. 5, 2022 at 2:40 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
who called we where going to claim aube kubel

it was one of you guys
Nov. 7, 2022 at 9:04 a.m.

who called we where going to claim aube kubel

it was one of you guys

@capsfan2121
capsfan2121 and NoVaSpartan liked this.
Nov. 7, 2022 at 9:08 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
guys we had a good run. just watch every 2018 stanley cup goal from our cup run or every ovechkin goal. it helps with the pain.
Nov. 7, 2022 at 10:41 a.m.
Curious to hear if Aube-Kubel could fit in on the Caps first line with Ovi and Kuzy. He is a perfect fit to the 4th line. But hear me out with the first line.

Let me first start out by saying the first line has been far to inconsistent. Ovi-Kuzy-Sheary look like they are either best friends or complete strangers out there. I would love to see Protas on the first line. But alas, that is doubtful. So onto Kubel...

Yes, he does not have any points through the minimal amount of games he played with the Leafs. But he is top 10 in hits and is a great forechecker. Yes, his defense is somewhat questionable at times, but he could provide that "grind" that the 1st line has had in the past. Plus, you surround him with good players, he might produce (i.e. look at last year with the Avs). I just feel like the first line has been quite inconsistent. And as a side note, I think Mantha needs to be with Strome. If you want Mantha to produce, put him with strong players. He is not consistent nor good enough to carry a whole line by himself.

Thoughts on the following lines for tonight:

Ovi-Kuzy-Kubel
MoJo-Strome-Mantha
Sheary-Eller-Milano
Protas-Dowd-Hath

Gus-Jensen
Johansen-TVR
Feh-Irwin

To me, the defense needs to be spread out (since they play similar minutes anyways). Gus and Jenson would be solid. TVR provides stability for Johansen. Feh and Irwin are just stay at home defenders - nothing special. I don't think you can put Johansen and Irwin on the same line - just too vulnerable / weak. This is assuming (worst case) Orlov and Carlson are out tonight.
Nov. 7, 2022 at 10:43 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
Curious to hear if Aube-Kubel could fit in on the Caps first line with Ovi and Kuzy. He is a perfect fit to the 4th line. But hear me out with the first line.

Let me first start out by saying the first line has been far to inconsistent. Ovi-Kuzy-Sheary look like they are either best friends or complete strangers out there. I would love to see Protas on the first line. But alas, that is doubtful. So onto Kubel...

Yes, he does not have any points through the minimal amount of games he played with the Leafs. But he is top 10 in hits and is a great forechecker. Yes, his defense is somewhat questionable at times, but he could provide that "grind" that the 1st line has had in the past. Plus, you surround him with good players, he might produce (i.e. look at last year with the Avs). I just feel like the first line has been quite inconsistent. And as a side note, I think Mantha needs to be with Strome. If you want Mantha to produce, put him with strong players. He is not consistent nor good enough to carry a whole line by himself.

Thoughts on the following lines for tonight:

Ovi-Kuzy-Kubel
MoJo-Strome-Mantha
Sheary-Eller-Milano
Protas-Dowd-Hath

Gus-Jensen
Johansen-TVR
Feh-Irwin

To me, the defense needs to be spread out (since they play similar minutes anyways). Gus and Jenson would be solid. TVR provides stability for Johansen. Feh and Irwin are just stay at home defenders - nothing special. I don't think you can put Johansen and Irwin on the same line - just too vulnerable / weak. This is assuming (worst case) Orlov and Carlson are out tonight.

be prepared for hath on the first line
All_Knowing liked this.
Nov. 7, 2022 at 10:54 a.m.
be prepared for hath on the first line

I don't hate that either honestly. I mean, don't get me wrong...I'd rather have Wilson lol

But with these crazy injuries, I don't hate putting a player like Hath up there to throw his body around
capsfan2121 and NoVaSpartan liked this.
Nov. 7, 2022 at 11:13 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
I don't hate that either honestly. I mean, don't get me wrong...I'd rather have Wilson lol

But with these crazy injuries, I don't hate putting a player like Hath up there to throw his body around

it happened last year. sheary on that line has looked diffrent when he is on the fourth. i wanna see those guys back togther. they produce well and bring a two game presence.
Nov. 7, 2022 at 12:46 p.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan

Finally, some good Caps news.
All_Knowing liked this.
Nov. 7, 2022 at 12:57 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Quoting: NoVaSpartan

Finally, some good Caps news.

oh hell yeah. lets go

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options: