Forums/Armchair-GM

NecasBear Trade at the Deadline

Created by: BigCaniac69
Team: 2022-23 Carolina Hurricanes
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 24, 2022
Published: Sep. 24, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This trade would occur once Pacioretty comes off of IR, and would help us make a cup push by increasing our depth at D to ridiculous heights while having a stronger active forward corps than we started the season with. This trade should occur no sooner because it will put us at a huge disadvantage to not have Necas while Pacioretty isn’t ready to play yet.
Trades
ARI
  1. Bear, Ethan
  2. Necas, Martin
  3. 2023 1st round pick (CAR)
  4. 2023 2nd round pick (CAR)
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$82,500,000$82,475,251$112,500$1,000,000$24,749
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
$5,400,000$5,400,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$8,460,250$8,460,250
C
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
RW
RFA - 2
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,820,000$4,820,000
C
UFA - 8
$7,750,000$7,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 7
$1,500,000$1,500,000 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
C, LW
NTC
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RW
UFA - 1
$1,800,000$1,800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
C
RFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,300,000$5,300,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$5,280,000$5,280,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,500,000$4,500,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,025,000$4,025,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA - 1
Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
$4,600,000$4,600,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$762,500$762,500
RD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$762,500$762,500
RD
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 24, 2022 at 1:22 p.m.
I’d assume it’s close for ASU, probably needs a decent prospect imo
Sep. 24, 2022 at 1:23 p.m.
I wouldn't do this. Chychrun's overrated. He's never had a season as good as the season Skjei is coming off. Carolina got Skjei for a 1st straight up. If you want to move them Bear, I get that. But Necas and the picks for a defenseman that even here is number 3? I don't like this.
Sep. 24, 2022 at 1:36 p.m.
Jerk from the Bunch
Quoting: Caniac2000
I wouldn't do this. Chychrun's overrated. He's never had a season as good as the season Skjei is coming off. Carolina got Skjei for a 1st straight up. If you want to move them Bear, I get that. But Necas and the picks for a defenseman that even here is number 3? I don't like this.

I would rather just trade Bear, and add more picks, but I don’t think they would take that trade. I think they want some young talent, and Necas would make great incentive to take the trade. I think Chychrun could also come in clutch in a playoff run this year. I like the move provided it’s pulled off at the right time, it could be a bit of a risk, but I could definitely see it paying off in the playoffs, I mean what team in the east is going to score consistently against that D corps. Also, with Pacioretty in the lineup, we would have more than enough firepower to score enough ourselves in the playoffs. I just see Chychrun potentially being more valuable than Necas in the playoffs, and that’s really all this trade is about. We’re not really planning to use Bear, and the picks don’t affect this season. It’s more like an all in on a playoff run type trade. Even though it’s not one for one, the mentality of the trade is a 1 for 1 of Necas and Chychrun.
Sep. 24, 2022 at 1:39 p.m.
Wow. Just wow.
Sep. 24, 2022 at 1:47 p.m.
Quoting: BigCaniac69
I would rather just trade Bear, and add more picks, but I don’t think they would take that trade. I think they want some young talent, and Necas would make great incentive to take the trade. I think Chychrun could also come in clutch in a playoff run this year. I like the move provided it’s pulled off at the right time, it could be a bit of a risk, but I could definitely see it paying off in the playoffs, I mean what team in the east is going to score consistently against that D corps. Also, with Pacioretty in the lineup, we would have more than enough firepower to score enough ourselves in the playoffs. I just see Chychrun potentially being more valuable than Necas in the playoffs, and that’s really all this trade is about. We’re not really planning to use Bear, and the picks don’t affect this season. It’s more like an all in on a playoff run type trade. Even though it’s not one for one, the mentality of the trade is a 1 for 1 of Necas and Chychrun.

This is a really bad assessment of Chychrun. Chychrun had a good season at the age of 22, and has been riding the coattails since. He's not good. He was worse last year than Skjei was. There's no need to load up on the defense when the clear issue is scoring. Carolina have won 55% of their one goal games in the playoffs since 2018-19. Tampa have won 75. The difference between the two is the goalscoring, which means having Necas is the more valuable asset. You don't need to overload the D core with Freddie and Raanta. They're fantastic netminders. But they can't score, and Necas can.
Sep. 24, 2022 at 1:59 p.m.
Lets Get Kraken
This is a really bad assessment of Chychrun. Chychrun had a good season at the age of 22, and has been riding the coattails since. He's not good. He was worse last year than Skjei was. There's no need to load up on the defense when the clear issue is scoring. Carolina have won 55% of their one goal games in the playoffs since 2018-19. Tampa have won 75. The difference between the two is the goalscoring, which means having Necas is the more valuable asset. You don't need to overload the D core with Freddie and Raanta. They're fantastic netminders. But they can't score, and Necas can.

I think you have to take into account that when Chychrun had that amazing season, the Yotes weren’t on rebuild mode. Once that season ended, the Yotes went into rebuild mode, so is it really out of the ordinary for Chychrun to fall off a bit when he is the main piece holding the blue line together on a team that, frankly, sucks.

As for me, it’s a move that reminds me of the move Tampa made for Sergachev. Tampa traded a struggling forward for Sergachev and proceeded to win 2 cups with a third final appearance in 3 years. Plus, this move would give the Canes an insurance policy with Skjei. If Skjei wants to move on or his play drops, Chychrun would be there to potentially replace him. Not only that, having Chychrun would allow Rod to give more rest to the top 4.
Sep. 24, 2022 at 2:44 p.m.
Mr Pucker PHD
You realize that in the COVID shortened year that Chychrun had 41 points in 56 games, including 18 goals correct (and finished in the Norris conversation)? That is a point total in 56 games that Skjei has never had in his career, even in full 82 game years. Making a definitive statement like this, and comparing Skjei getting a 1st is basically a moot point. I like Skjei too, but the two players in question are drastically different.

I’d keep Necas now that he’s signed for two years, I wouldn’t move him either…so we agree there. But the way you make points just isn’t convincing, it almost makes the opposite counterpoint stronger.

fullblowncaniac90 liked this.
Sep. 24, 2022 at 6:35 p.m.

I think the idea behind this would be to have 3 first pairing level defensemen (skjei's a more high end 2nd pair imo but you get the point). I mean its a good strategy, just look how it went for tampa. I could also see this if the canes were planning to let Skjei walk and finding a replacement for Necas. I like Chychrun but i would only be comfortable they maybe went out and made a splash next year to replace Necas.
Sep. 25, 2022 at 4:28 a.m.
Quoting: evelutions2
I think you have to take into account that when Chychrun had that amazing season, the Yotes weren’t on rebuild mode. Once that season ended, the Yotes went into rebuild mode, so is it really out of the ordinary for Chychrun to fall off a bit when he is the main piece holding the blue line together on a team that, frankly, sucks.

As for me, it’s a move that reminds me of the move Tampa made for Sergachev. Tampa traded a struggling forward for Sergachev and proceeded to win 2 cups with a third final appearance in 3 years. Plus, this move would give the Canes an insurance policy with Skjei. If Skjei wants to move on or his play drops, Chychrun would be there to potentially replace him. Not only that, having Chychrun would allow Rod to give more rest to the top 4.

That's fine, but Chychrun has never been as good as Sergachev was. Even Chychrun's best season was not as good as Sergachev was in Montreal and that's my major concern. People are talking about him like's a top pairing D man. Thing is, he's never shown that sustainably. Skjei last year had a better season than Chychrun has in his entire career, and Skjei's average season is better than Chychrun's. Chychrun sure as hell isn't beating Slavin out, so I don't see the fit here. Chychrun is on pace to become one of the worse deals in the NHL if he doesn't get better.

You also mention that Arizona went into a rebuild and his stats tanked, which isn't entirely true. They moved on from Alex Goligoski. Goligoski is just not fair defensively and is known to make his partner lookw ay better than he actually is, and Chychrun imo has been the biggest beneficiary of his incredible defensive prowess. I just do not like this
Sep. 25, 2022 at 4:31 a.m.
Quoting: GroinPucker
You realize that in the COVID shortened year that Chychrun had 41 points in 56 games, including 18 goals correct (and finished in the Norris conversation)? That is a point total in 56 games that Skjei has never had in his career, even in full 82 game years. Making a definitive statement like this, and comparing Skjei getting a 1st is basically a moot point. I like Skjei too, but the two players in question are drastically different.

I’d keep Necas now that he’s signed for two years, I wouldn’t move him either…so we agree there. But the way you make points just isn’t convincing, it almost makes the opposite counterpoint stronger.

Okay, let's have this argument. You realise Chychrun put up 40+ points and was still a net negative? There's more to this game than point scoring. It's the Josi argument. Roman Josi is a dominant offensive defenseman, but he's among the worst players in the NHL in his own end, to the point where on average he's a net 0 at best. Chychrun is of the same ilk, and Skjei last year was on a top 4 pairing in the NHL with Pesce. Chychrun has never been of that ilk and you want to compare them? You're ignoring everything that's wrong with Chychrun and trying to argue with production which A) Isn't the point of someone like Skjei and b) is completely useless for a defenseman given as it isn't their job.
Sep. 25, 2022 at 4:33 a.m.
Quoting: fullblowncaniac90
I think the idea behind this would be to have 3 first pairing level defensemen (skjei's a more high end 2nd pair imo but you get the point). I mean its a good strategy, just look how it went for tampa. I could also see this if the canes were planning to let Skjei walk and finding a replacement for Necas. I like Chychrun but i would only be comfortable they maybe went out and made a splash next year to replace Necas.

Chychrun is not a Skjei replacement, he would have been a DeAngelo replacement. Chychrun is garbage defensively and his offensive production doesn't make up for it. Think of him as a more polarizing Erik Gustafsson. Better offensively, worse defensively. The only argument against him being garbage defensively is that "he's on a garbage team" but even Dysin Mayo puts up better defensive numbers than Chychrun does. There's no argument to bring him in here. When Tampa had 3 1st pairing D men, they could all do everything. Sergachev isn't completely faultless defensively, but he's a positive. McDonagh is solid in both ends, and Hedman is Hedman. That isn't what Carolina would be getting.
Sep. 25, 2022 at 6:52 a.m.
Lets Get Kraken
Chychrun is not a Skjei replacement, he would have been a DeAngelo replacement. Chychrun is garbage defensively and his offensive production doesn't make up for it. Think of him as a more polarizing Erik Gustafsson. Better offensively, worse defensively. The only argument against him being garbage defensively is that "he's on a garbage team" but even Dysin Mayo puts up better defensive numbers than Chychrun does. There's no argument to bring him in here. When Tampa had 3 1st pairing D men, they could all do everything. Sergachev isn't completely faultless defensively, but he's a positive. McDonagh is solid in both ends, and Hedman is Hedman. That isn't what Carolina would be getting.

You know, when the Canes acquired Skjei, I was hearing quite a lot of similar arguments to these. Now look at how Skjei turned out. The situation could be very similar. The Canes have a way with reclamation projects, and Chychrun would be no different. I do believe that he would be so much better if he was in a structured defensive system like the one Rod employs. But I think we can just leave this at we agree to disagree on this one.
Sep. 25, 2022 at 7:28 a.m.
Quoting: evelutions2
You know, when the Canes acquired Skjei, I was hearing quite a lot of similar arguments to these. Now look at how Skjei turned out. The situation could be very similar. The Canes have a way with reclamation projects, and Chychrun would be no different. I do believe that he would be so much better if he was in a structured defensive system like the one Rod employs. But I think we can just leave this at we agree to disagree on this one.

Difference is that Skjei had been playing on a contending team. Make no mistake, Skjei is carried big time by Pesce. It's not comparable at all. Chychrun's more comparable to someone like Gardiner than Skjei. It just wouldn't work. Rod's inability to realize when changes are needed would hamper Chychrun just as they did Jake Gardiner. I get wanting reclamation projects, but at this point, Chychrun isn't worth it. There's no need to do it. If you wanted to have a go after Skjei expires, that's one thing. But using Necas + 1st +++ for him? There's no reason or logic to it.
Sep. 25, 2022 at 8:20 a.m.
Mr Pucker PHD
I have no argument because I choose not to perpetuate this, you’ve made my point that Skjei and Chychrun are different players, and you supported it with your own Josi argument. I don’t need to say anything else.

Okay, let's have this argument. You realise Chychrun put up 40+ points and was still a net negative? There's more to this game than point scoring. It's the Josi argument. Roman Josi is a dominant offensive defenseman, but he's among the worst players in the NHL in his own end, to the point where on average he's a net 0 at best. Chychrun is of the same ilk, and Skjei last year was on a top 4 pairing in the NHL with Pesce. Chychrun has never been of that ilk and you want to compare them? You're ignoring everything that's wrong with Chychrun and trying to argue with production which A) Isn't the point of someone like Skjei and b) is completely useless for a defenseman given as it isn't their job.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll