Forums/Armchair-GM

How to add $20MM in salary w/o trading Nugent-Hopkins or Eberle

Created by: CD282
Team: 2017-18 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 11, 2017
Published: May 25, 2017
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Of course, there are many ways to improve the Oilers without trading Nugent-Hopkins and Eberle. This is just an example for all the fans who believe those two MUST be traded this summer.

In other news, the Los Angeles Kings have decided to rebuild. They didn't want to trade Doughty, but this gives them an opportunity to get rid of the Brown contract for free. They wouldn't do this trade any other way, unfortunately. Still, from our perspective, Brown is at least $1.875MM more useful than Pouliot, what with his experience and leadership. And when his usefulness expires, he'll be bought out. It's less than ideal, but that's the price to pay to get Doughty for two years and first dibs at re-signing. The Trade gives Los Angeles youth, speed, skill and energy (and a dose of nastiness) on ELC contracts, clearing millions in cap space in the process.

McDavid's next contract will be paid in part by Thornton's expiring $5MM deal. McDavid is already responsible for $3.85MM cap hit (including bonuses), so with Jumbo Joe's salary removed there's about $9MM available for McDavid in 2018-19 without making any roster moves. Eberle's deal expires at the same time as Doughty and Talbot's, if anyone doubts our ability to re-sign them.

Anyhow, enjoy. Feel free to comment, but keep it light-hearted, in the same vein as how this was put together.

Today's inspirational message: dream big, kids, dream big!
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
8$6,750,000
3$1,750,000
3$925,000
3$750,000
3$925,000
1$800,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,500,000
Foo, Spencer
2$825,000
1$1,200,000
1$5,000,000
Trades
EDM
  1. 2018 4th round pick (ARI)
EDM
    Draft
    EDM
    1. 2018 5th round pick (COL)
    EDM
    1. 2018 4th round pick (NJD)
    Additional Details:
    Rights to RFA Johann Auvitu
    Buyouts
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the ARI
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$76,000,000$70,950,332$825,000$4,175,000$5,049,668
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    LW, C
    UFA - 4
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
    C
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 1
    $5,875,000$5,875,000
    RW, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 5
    $5,250,000$5,250,000
    LW, RW
    NMC
    UFA - 6
    $6,750,000$6,750,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 8
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    RW
    UFA - 2
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$600,000$600K)
    LW, RW
    RFA - 1
    $1,800,000$1,800,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    $1,750,000$1,750,000
    RW
    UFA - 3
    Foo, Spencer
    $825,000$825,000
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    LD
    UFA
    $7,000,000$7,000,000
    RD
    UFA - 2
    $4,166,666$4,166,666
    G
    NMC
    UFA - 2
    $4,167,000$4,167,000
    LD
    UFA - 6
    $4,166,666$4,166,666
    RD
    UFA - 4
    $750,000$750,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $800,000$800,000
    LD, LW
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$300,000$300K)
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000
    LD
    UFA - 2
    $1,200,000$1,200,000
    RD
    UFA - 2
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    LD/RD
    NMC
    UFA - 4

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    May 25, 2017 at 6:19 p.m.
    You think the last place Avs would give up a future asset for a guy who would be buried in the ahl. Why are they giving up picks for vets? A cup run?
    May 25, 2017 at 6:31 p.m.
    Quoting: DutchysMuffins
    You think the last place Avs would give up a future asset for a guy who would be buried in the ahl. Why are they giving up picks for vets? A cup run?

It could be any team, and any non-cap asset, but it's important to remember that Fayne is an NHL player, not "a guy who would be buried in the AHL." the only reason that he spent the season in the minors is because he fell out with McLellan. I chose Colorado because they are starved for NHL level defensemen, and the arrival of Vegas means fewer players will be available to plug those holes.
    May 25, 2017 at 6:37 p.m.
    Emotionally in 2018
    While it frees up cap space for this year, you have to think about what happens in a couple years down the line. Doughty and Talbot are both going to need contracts. Doughty's raise might not be too much, but Talbot's certainly will. Plus Caggiula needs a payday, and you have to either resign or replace Thornton, Letestu and Maroon. I know Eberle's contract also expires then, but these are things that have to be taken into account, especially with a team looking to be competitive for a long time like the OIlers
    May 25, 2017 at 6:50 p.m.
    Quoting: krakowitz
    While it frees up cap space for this year, you have to think about what happens in a couple years down the line. Doughty and Talbot are both going to need contracts. Doughty's raise might not be too much, but Talbot's certainly will. Plus Caggiula needs a payday, and you have to either resign or replace Thornton, Letestu and Maroon. I know Eberle's contract also expires then, but these are things that have to be taken into account, especially with a team looking to be competitive for a long time like the OIlers

Most of the things you mention are two years away. This was not meant to be a comprehensive 3-year plan, and in my explanation I admit that further moves will be required in the future. (I spoke to the Doughty / Talbot re-signing, that's more than covered in my team explanation, which you don't seem to have read.)

I'm not sure what your problem is here: this is a 1-year plan with room to address future issues in the future.
    May 25, 2017 at 6:51 p.m.
    LongtimeLeafsufferer
    Some real "hopeful" trades. The underproductive and costly Pouilet and Fayne go to teams.....just because the Oilers need cap space.
    Sekera gets cap relief next year being on LTIR, but maybe not in futures years at 5.5m. Isn't that a lot to give up for 2 years of Doughty and you still have NMC Brown for years.?Highly doubt Campbell leaves his home in Chicago.
    May 25, 2017 at 7:00 p.m.
    Emotionally in 2018
    Quoting: CD282

Most of the things you mention are two years away. This was not meant to be a comprehensive 3-year plan, and in my explanation I admit that further moves will be required in the future. (I spoke to the Doughty / Talbot re-signing, that's more than covered in my team explanation, which you don't seem to have read.)

I'm not sure what your problem is here: this is a 1-year plan with room to address future issues in the future.

I'm saying that I don't think there will be room to address those issues in the future, nor will there be enough money to fill out the rest of the roster. Even if the big pieces get signed, there'll need to be more money to fill out their bottom six forwards and third D pair. No need to get so defensive either
    May 25, 2017 at 7:32 p.m.

I'm saying that I don't think there will be room to address those issues in the future, nor will there be enough money to fill out the rest of the roster. Even if the big pieces get signed, there'll need to be more money to fill out their bottom six forwards and third D pair. No need to get so defensive either

If there isn't room, we'll make room. As long as the core is covered, I'm not worried. Peripheral veterans can be replaced with cheaper talent out of college or the farm system - they come, they go and while they play an important role, a role is all it is. That's why they're called "role-players".

I can do a 2018-19 roster too if it'll set your mind at ease.
    May 25, 2017 at 7:48 p.m.
    Quoting: palhal
    Some real "hopeful" trades. The underproductive and costly Pouilet and Fayne go to teams.....just because the Oilers need cap space.
    Sekera gets cap relief next year being on LTIR, but maybe not in futures years at 5.5m. Isn't that a lot to give up for 2 years of Doughty and you still have NMC Brown for years.?Highly doubt Campbell leaves his home in Chicago.

Some of these moves only work in specific situations, I'll admit. But I tried to find those situations, like Colorado with the worst defense corps in the league, and New Jersey with forechecking / PF needs.

When Sekera comes off LTIR (February?) it'll be just like a deadline acquisition - only the final portion of the season counts against cap. Since I only have a million in cap space, probably someone gets traded... Gryba would be a coveted pickup by playoff teams looking for depth. Something probably needs to give in the offseason in order to include Sekera on the 2018-19 roster, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

As for the Doughty trade... Edmonton fans are debating who the team should target for 2RD, I decided to shoot the moon here. For LA to even consider trading Doughty we would have to give them an offer they couldn't ignore. Is it too much? Probably, but if Doughty was my asset I wouldn't trade him for any less than "too much". Brown will eventually be bought out.

I don't know if Campbell would go to Edmonton for 6-8 months or not, that's a legit concern. I suppose nobody knows (not even him) until he gets asked the question. He has rings and a great team now, just hoping that he likes the summer moves the I made and buys into it, I guess.
    May 25, 2017 at 8:00 p.m.
    Lenny7

It could be any team, and any non-cap asset, but it's important to remember that Fayne is an NHL player, not "a guy who would be buried in the AHL." the only reason that he spent the season in the minors is because he fell out with McLellan. I chose Colorado because they are starved for NHL level defensemen, and the arrival of Vegas means fewer players will be available to plug those holes.

I would argue that Fayne fell out with McLellan for being not-so-good at hockey. Teams can get a similar player for a fraction of the cost via FA this summer.
    May 25, 2017 at 8:00 p.m.
    Lenny7

I would argue that Fayne fell out with McLellan for being not-so-good at hockey. Teams can get a similar player for a fraction of the cost via FA this summer.
    May 25, 2017 at 8:08 p.m.
    Quoting: Lenny7

Such as? NHL is adding a team this summer and as many as 10 NHL defensemen will find themselves in Vegas, meaning the market for experienced players just got a little tighter. Throw some names at me: UFA, right-shooting D-men with about 400 NHL games played, about 30-years-old and about 6'3" / 212 lbs.
    May 26, 2017 at 9:12 a.m.
    I'm surprised that I haven't heard any moaning about the Doughty trade - only one person mentioned it and they thought I had paid too much.
    Are LA fans okay with this trade?
    May 26, 2017 at 9:40 a.m.
    Dude, nobody wants Fayne. If the Avs wanted him they would have claimed off waivers for free. Hes not young, not good and makes way too much.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll