Forums/Armchair-GM

A deal that helps the Leafs and Coyotes

Created by: CapFriendlysFinest
Team: 2022-23 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 11, 2022
Published: Oct. 11, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I feel like this is a likely deal at this point. It does not HAVE to be Arizona but I feel like they would benefit from having a player like Engvall this season. They also have more than enough picks to spare, letting a 4th go for someone who likely spends alot of time in the top 6-9 is great value.
Trades
TOR
  1. 2023 4th round pick (ARI)
Additional Details:
Leafs get cap relief that allows not only Robertson to come up but also allows Lilly to play when coming back from LTIR without having to send bodies down. Engvall would likely have priced himself out of TO like many wingers who come here.
ARI
  1. Engvall, Pierre
Additional Details:
The Yotes get a player I feel like has the potential to break out this year with more playing time. He has the speed, size and decent shot were I believe he could be a 20 plus goal scorer in the NHL
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$82,500,000$82,367,913$212,500$0$132,087
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$950,000$950,000
LW
UFA - 1
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 3
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 3
$796,667$796,667
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW
UFA - 1
$840,630$840,630
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 8
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 2
$4,687,500$4,687,500
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 2
$1,400,000$1,400,000
RD
RFA - 2
$1,800,000$1,800,000
G
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 2
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 11, 2022 at 10:39 a.m.
Teams pay for cap relief, they don't usually get picks back.

Why would Arizona who's in a rebuild help the leafs, Engvall likely won't stick around there.

Engvall and 4th for future considerations would be more likely.
Oct. 11, 2022 at 10:51 a.m.
Quoting: KMMHL2012
Teams pay for cap relief, they don't usually get picks back.

Why would Arizona who's in a rebuild help the leafs, Engvall likely won't stick around there.

Engvall and 4th for future considerations would be more likely.

I understand the want for picks back for cap relief but this is more of a situation of getting better for both teams. Leafs don't need to move Engvall at all, Lilly is likely weeks away and makes a strong case to be a player the Leafs rely on for PK and possibly PP. He does not have a high cap hit for what he will likely produce making him a player of value, not a negative value. I hate this idea of every bad team HAS to get picks back for players. It is not true. Arizona is in a situation where Engvall immediately makes them better. This isnt a Ritche situation or a Marzek one where the Leafs are actively looking to move them because their bad. This is a situation that allows Arizona to get better at a cheap price for someone who likely plays on their top 6. If you were a rebuilding GM and someone said he would you like a young, speedy, large player who will likely play in your top 6 this season and onwards play in your top 9 for a 4th round pick, and you said no! I want picks back, the other GM just hangs up the phone.
Austerity and kingjrb92 liked this.
Oct. 11, 2022 at 11:17 a.m.
Quoting: CapFriendlysFinest
I understand the want for picks back for cap relief but this is more of a situation of getting better for both teams. Leafs don't need to move Engvall at all, Lilly is likely weeks away and makes a strong case to be a player the Leafs rely on for PK and possibly PP. He does not have a high cap hit for what he will likely produce making him a player of value, not a negative value. I hate this idea of every bad team HAS to get picks back for players. It is not true. Arizona is in a situation where Engvall immediately makes them better. This isnt a Ritche situation or a Marzek one where the Leafs are actively looking to move them because their bad. This is a situation that allows Arizona to get better at a cheap price for someone who likely plays on their top 6. If you were a rebuilding GM and someone said he would you like a young, speedy, large player who will likely play in your top 6 this season and onwards play in your top 9 for a 4th round pick, and you said no! I want picks back, the other GM just hangs up the phone.

Does AZ want to get better this year or do they want to suck and be much better 2-3 years from now.
CallingOutHomers liked this.
Oct. 11, 2022 at 12:23 p.m.
Can never have too much depth, we don't know what Malgin will actually be. If Robertson wasn't waiver eligible I might agree but with injuries and the possibility that Malgin flops there's no reason for this move, Robertson will still probably play most of the season with the Leafs
Oct. 11, 2022 at 12:29 p.m.

Quoting: Dan_the_Man
Does AZ want to get better this year or do they want to suck and be much better 2-3 years from now.

I think where you're missing the point of my post, you're assuming Arizona wants to get better.

What Dan the Man said, Arizona doesn't want to get better, they are in a Bedard contest with Chicago and Montreal.

if anything, they want to get worse, and they want draft picks to help stock the system for the future as they are going full rebuild, not re-tooling.
Dan_the_Man liked this.
Oct. 11, 2022 at 1:23 p.m.
Quoting: KMMHL2012
I think where you're missing the point of my post, you're assuming Arizona wants to get better.

What Dan the Man said, Arizona doesn't want to get better, they are in a Bedard contest with Chicago and Montreal.

if anything, they want to get worse, and they want draft picks to help stock the system for the future as they are going full rebuild, not re-tooling.

Completely fair, but I also think Arizona is by far the worst team this year and adding Engvall isn't going to push them over the edge from Montreal or Chicago. Arizona has one of the worst defence in the league and easily the worst goal-tending. I don't think adding a top 6/9 winger is going to push them light years ahead of either team.

On top of that, the NHL has gone out of there way to say if teams are intentionally tanking, they will be fined and stripped of their picks. I don't think Arizona would want to lose out on ANOTHER first round pick. However I do understand your side, Arizona could simply just say no, we don't want him and that's the end of that
Oct. 11, 2022 at 1:45 p.m.
Completely fair, but I also think Arizona is by far the worst team this year and adding Engvall isn't going to push them over the edge from Montreal or Chicago. Arizona has one of the worst defence in the league and easily the worst goal-tending. I don't think adding a top 6/9 winger is going to push them light years ahead of either team.

On top of that, the NHL has gone out of there way to say if teams are intentionally tanking, they will be fined and stripped of their picks. I don't think Arizona would want to lose out on ANOTHER first round pick. However I do understand your side, Arizona could simply just say no, we don't want him and that's the end of that

Yeah that's a trade being refused that's not instigating a tank investigation.
Oct. 11, 2022 at 2:47 p.m.

All a matter of time, if Chicago offloads Toews and Kane they have scraps left, and don't underestimate the tandem of Mrazek and Stalock, Chicago is pretty awful.

And the west is pretty weak outside the 9-10 teams, any of SJ, Chi, Ari can just isht the bed and be in last place pretty easily.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll