SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/GM Game

"Winning" the GM game

What does "winning" the GM game mean to you?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jun. 3, 2017 at 10:05 p.m.
Quoting: phillyjabroni
I think that since everyone was in the same boat to begin the game, we can't really just hit the "reset" button and bail out the teams that didn't make the same amount of dumb trades as some of the other GMs. I think that we should let this version play out, and then decide later in the season what should happen, or we can just adjust the aspect of the game. Nobody had intended to "win" the game, so I don't see the issue with now introducing the "winner." this game was designed for fun, so I won't be upset if I don't win.

Agreed, I feel as though we should keep this GM game in place
Jun. 4, 2017 at 12:58 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: DavidBooth7
I think that since everyone was in the same boat to begin the game, we can't really just hit the "reset" button and bail out the teams that didn't make the same amount of dumb trades as some of the other GMs. I think that we should let this version play out, and then decide later in the season what should happen, or we can just adjust the aspect of the game. Nobody had intended to "win" the game, so I don't see the issue with now introducing the "winner." this game was designed for fun, so I won't be upset if I don't win.

agreed
nobody liked this.
Jun. 4, 2017 at 12:17 p.m.

Same here. Playing Gm game for one season pretty much changes the entire dynamic. I would of traded all of my draft picks had I known this year was all that matters. Plus ending the game in August kind of makes no sense. GM's trade during the season too, the season doesn't end once free agency finishes.....

Im all for making another game but I'd prefer to have this remain as well to see the progression over the years. Heck, doesn't have to be us. Could pass the torch to new GM's every year or whatever.
Jun. 4, 2017 at 1:05 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: F50marco

Same here. Playing Gm game for one season pretty much changes the entire dynamic. I would of traded all of my draft picks had I known this year was all that matters. Plus ending the game in August kind of makes no sense. GM's trade during the season too, the season doesn't end once free agency finishes.....

Im all for making another game but I'd prefer to have this remain as well to see the progression over the years. Heck, doesn't have to be us. Could pass the torch to new GM's every year or whatever.

If we keep it going for years, everything will get super confusing with all the real trades. And there's been talk about starting another GM Game in septemberr while still keeping this one going.
Jun. 4, 2017 at 1:15 p.m.
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Quoting: F50marco

If we keep it going for years, everything will get super confusing with all the real trades. And there's been talk about starting another GM Game in septemberr while still keeping this one going.

But this isn't the real NHL anymore nor does it have anything to do with it really. This some sort of separate hockey universe, and I kinda like it that way. If someone wants to start a new GM game, that's fine, but that should be something separate from this one IMO
Jun. 4, 2017 at 1:16 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: rangersandislesfan

But this isn't the real NHL anymore nor does it have anything to do with it really. This some sort of separate hockey universe, and I kinda like it that way. If someone wants to start a new GM game, that's fine, but that should be something separate from this one IMO

ok, fair enough.
nobody liked this.
Jun. 4, 2017 at 10:32 p.m.
Go Jackets
I'm all for having two games. I certainly don't want to just let this game go cause then I wouldn't get to watch all the young pieces I've acquired develop into high quality NHL players. That's something I'd really like to see through. On the other side, I'd also like to get a clean slate (wow were my Two Klingberg trades bad, and that Wennberg trade? Woof ?). So personally I'd love to keep this one going, but also start a second version with some more clearly defined rules and guidelines.
Jun. 4, 2017 at 10:36 p.m.
Quoting: matt59
I'm all for having two games. I certainly don't want to just let this game go cause then I wouldn't get to watch all the young pieces I've acquired develop into high quality NHL players. That's something I'd really like to see through. On the other side, I'd also like to get a clean slate (wow were my Two Klingberg trades bad, and that Wennberg trade? Woof ?). So personally I'd love to keep this one going, but also start a second version with some more clearly defined rules and guidelines.

I'd like to have a clean slate too, however, that is going to be a lot of time invested since I am VGK and would have to make all of my trades again, and I would probably have an assistant run that

I would also like to continue to run with this game and have Matt and myself come out with some quantitative formulas for winning(using that website too) something like on my puck or whatver
Jun. 4, 2017 at 11:57 p.m.
Go Jackets

I'd like to have a clean slate too, however, that is going to be a lot of time invested since I am VGK and would have to make all of my trades again, and I would probably have an assistant run that

I would also like to continue to run with this game and have Matt and myself come out with some quantitative formulas for winning(using that website too) something like on my puck or whatver

We could definitely allow people to pick new teams to gm as well, such that you wouldn't be bound to the team you're currently gming. Although if you'd like to keep the same team, you're more than welcome to do so.

And before I go to bed I'll post the link to the own the puck lineup generator that we could use to do this game.
Jun. 5, 2017 at 12:02 a.m.
Go Jackets
Link to the ownthepuck.ca lineup generator and point projector: http://ownthepuck.blogspot.com/2017/03/lineup-creator-v10.html

i'll do some lineup tests with only elite players vs. bad players to see how much the projected point totals deviate and report them back here
Jun. 5, 2017 at 12:17 a.m.
Go Jackets
Best team I was able to create got 131.2 points, worst had 62.4. could probably get higher or lower but it's late and I'm feeling lazy lol
Jun. 5, 2017 at 12:36 a.m.
Best team I was able to create got 131.2 points, worst had 62.4. could probably get higher or lower but it's late and I'm feeling lazy lol

Only problem with the program is that it doesn't include players like Dotchin because he is not registered in the database.
Jun. 5, 2017 at 12:46 a.m.
Quoting: boltscharge17

Only problem with the program is that it doesn't include players like Dotchin because he is not registered in the database.

I got 102.0 pts with generic depth players in 3rd LW and 1st RD since Erne and Dotchin aren't in the database. I also used a generic depth player in the 4th RW line since Raddysh is also not in the database
Jun. 5, 2017 at 6:46 a.m.
Go Jackets

Yeah I've run into a few issues with the lack of really young guys, but I think we can work around that
Jun. 5, 2017 at 9:19 a.m.

Yeah I've run into a few issues with the lack of really young guys, but I think we can work around that

matt, we should just create one for the capfriendly lol. ones that can be used in Arm-chair so ppl can see if they made improvements and for this game

that will take a lot of effot tho
Jun. 6, 2017 at 7:30 p.m.
bumping this thread.
Jun. 6, 2017 at 9:32 p.m.
Go Jackets

matt, we should just create one for the capfriendly lol. ones that can be used in Arm-chair so ppl can see if they made improvements and for this game

that will take a lot of effot tho

Didn't even see this until today sorry man, but yeah to place a value that translates to point total impacts on the young players would need serious experimentation and R&D. I don't think we have time to do that in a short time frame rn.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit