$3,250,000$3,250,000
LD
UFA - 4
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
Logo of the San Jose Sharks
$2,250,000$2,250,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000 (Performance Bonus$250,000$250K)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RW, C
RFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
LW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 17, 2023 at 11:22 a.m.
Im not saying SJ should or shouldn’t keep meier but I am saying how does this series of moves help short or long term. If they keep Meier they can sell of ufas but for futures. Getting players with term in dump deals doesn’t help SJ.

Now if SJ wanted to go rebuild then sure take on cap dumps to maximize the return.
Jan. 17, 2023 at 11:47 a.m.
Quoting: ecupirate07
Im not saying SJ should or shouldn’t keep meier but I am saying how does this series of moves help short or long term. If they keep Meier they can sell of ufas but for futures. Getting players with term in dump deals doesn’t help SJ.

Now if SJ wanted to go rebuild then sure take on cap dumps to maximize the return.

My belief is this is a team that has struggled to score over the past few years even with Meier, they won’t survive without him. Griers most recent comments were that trading a high end asset like Meier could kickstart a rebuild nicely but he also says Meier is the kind of player you can put on the wing for 10 years and not ever worry about it. I’m under the impression it will take a massive offer to get him at this point. He isn’t going to walk away from a player like that for a discount because of the hard cap issue.

As far as other players, sharks need defensive depth throughout the org, Zaitsev makes it L and R each line and only 1 more year for which San Jose shouldn’t be good anyway. They also would need another goalie next year and taking a chance on Blackwood on a 1 year flier wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world.
Jan. 17, 2023 at 11:52 a.m.
Stovetop

Its selling depth that we won't be re-signing for draft picks. If they don't do this than why are we keeping these players around at all? It also helps the Sharks get worse in the final stretch for a lower position in the standings. Reimer, Bones, and Nieto are foregone TDL moves (or should be) as pending UFAs in their mid/late 30s. And Merkley requested a trade

As for the Zaitsev one though, we should be getting something big back for taking on the contract. Thompson and Merks are pretty close in value, then the Sharks should get a 2nd or even first for taking on that contract.
Jan. 17, 2023 at 11:58 a.m.
Quoting: AStovetop
Its selling depth that we won't be re-signing for draft picks. If they don't do this than why are we keeping these players around at all? It also helps the Sharks get worse in the final stretch for a lower position in the standings. Reimer, Bones, and Nieto are foregone TDL moves (or should be) as pending UFAs in their mid/late 30s. And Merkley requested a trade

As for the Zaitsev one though, we should be getting something big back for taking on the contract. Thompson and Merks are pretty close in value, then the Sharks should get a 2nd or even first for taking on that contract.

Thomson I think has a bit more value than merkley. He adds depth to the right side in the system and he would be the most nhl ready of the defensive prospects we currently have. I see maybe a 3rd if there’s a puck coming back too.

And I agree that these guys are pending ufas who have no business being on this team next year continuing the log jam the org.
Jan. 17, 2023 at 12:00 p.m.
Quoting: glarson17
My belief is this is a team that has struggled to score over the past few years even with Meier, they won’t survive without him. Griers most recent comments were that trading a high end asset like Meier could kickstart a rebuild nicely but he also says Meier is the kind of player you can put on the wing for 10 years and not ever worry about it. I’m under the impression it will take a massive offer to get him at this point. He isn’t going to walk away from a player like that for a discount because of the hard cap issue.

As far as other players, sharks need defensive depth throughout the org, Zaitsev makes it L and R each line and only 1 more year for which San Jose shouldn’t be good anyway. They also would need another goalie next year and taking a chance on Blackwood on a 1 year flier wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world.

but taking on bad contracts that likely take them out of contention for next year doesnt really fall in line with keeping Meier.
Jan. 17, 2023 at 12:23 p.m.

I have no control over what Dorion does but there's no point in trading Zaitsev now as the Sens don't need cap space

Wait for the summer, pay his bonus on July 1st and then trade as a 1 season 2.5 salary 4.5 AAV contract, cost would be very reasonable then. The team is about to get sold and new management in place might do things that make sense then
Jan. 17, 2023 at 12:39 p.m.
sharcuda22
but taking on bad contracts that likely take them out of contention for next year doesnt really fall in line with keeping Meier.

We aren't gonna be competitive next year anyways, so futures for one extra season of a bad contract isnt a bad idea, keeping meier would likely mean we want to be competitive in two or three years
Jan. 17, 2023 at 12:40 p.m.
sharcuda22
Quoting: Xspyrit
I have no control over what Dorion does but there's no point in trading Zaitsev now as the Sens don't need cap space

Wait for the summer, pay his bonus on July 1st and then trade as a 1 season 2.5 salary 4.5 AAV contract, cost would be very reasonable then. The team is about to get sold and new management in place might do things that make sense then

this might be a good idea for the sens but ive read a lot about them wanting to move zaitzev so this prolly follows that line of thought?
Jan. 17, 2023 at 12:48 p.m.
Quoting: sharcuda22
this might be a good idea for the sens but ive read a lot about them wanting to move zaitzev so this prolly follows that line of thought?

Dorion is the worst GM I have seen in a long time.
Jan. 17, 2023 at 12:49 p.m.

It does when the contract fits a positional need and Meier signs long term. Just because he signs long term doesn’t mean they expect to be a playoff team next year. Zaitsev had only one year left so it’s all that bad for San Jose to take.
Jan. 17, 2023 at 12:52 p.m.
Edited Jan. 17, 2023 at 1:27 p.m.
Quoting: sharcuda22
We aren't gonna be competitive next year anyways, so futures for one extra season of a bad contract isnt a bad idea, keeping meier would likely mean we want to be competitive in two or three years

maybe but Grier needs to try to be if keeping Meier. Karlsson's ankle isnt going to hold on forever and everyone else is only getting older. Trade the UFAs, buy out Vlasic and do the best they can to get quality scoring depth and actually good defensive defenders.
Jan. 17, 2023 at 12:52 p.m.
Stovetop
Quoting: Xspyrit
Dorion is the worst GM I have seen in a long time.

This is overblown. He made objectively good moves over the past year. They've drafted well. They've established a really good young core, but just can't seem to put it all together. Dorion can only do so much.

The coach, whether or not the players like him or not, needs to go. They need a change.
Jan. 17, 2023 at 12:57 p.m.
maybe but Grier needs to try to be if keeping Meier. Karlsson's ankle is going to hold on forever and everyone else is only getting older. Trade the UFAs, buy out Vlasic and do the best they can to get quality scoring depth and actually good defensive defenders.

Vlasic has had a much better year this year, if he keeps it up I don’t see them buying him out after this year honestly. Still not worth the contract but i see them trying to get another year out of him. And if Grier thinks the team needs another year to be competitive that’s fine, same with Zaitsev. He does have to make moves to be competitive but he can wait a year, this is his first year as GM. I see them trying to move Karlsson in the offseason to unload that contract more than I see them buying out Vlasic.
sharcuda22 liked this.
Jan. 17, 2023 at 12:57 p.m.
Edited Jan. 17, 2023 at 1:04 p.m.
This is overblown. He made objectively good moves over the past year. They've drafted well. They've established a really good young core, but just can't seem to put it all together. Dorion can only do so much.

The coach, whether or not the players like him or not, needs to go. They need a change.

It would be very very long to explain... I could find a bit of time to copy/paste some past posts if you want

- Team will not go anywhere with this coaching staff, they just can't implement 2-way hockey. It's either offense and be terrible defensively or focus on defense but struggle to score goals

- he has NO foresight

- he has no idea what asset management means

- he is just terrible at roster construction

It's a TERRIBLE team with deficiencies hidden by several young talented players

Yes he makes some good/splash moves that attracts the attention but his "whole" is terrible

What you have to know is that he inherited plenty of great assets in their prime and has been rebuilding for 5+ years now.

For example, Stutzle and Norris is the result of trading Karlsson who was drafted under Bryan Murray

Sanderson and Tkachuk were lottery picks because his team was terrible

Chabot was drafted by Murray

Pinto and Batherson are great draft picks but the key guy is Trent Mann, who was hired by Bryan Murray in 2011

Etc, etc, etc

To understand how bad Dorion is, you have to look at his 2020-21 offseason.

In a microcosm, the way he handled Ryan Dzingel's great return sums up everything
Jan. 17, 2023 at 1:01 p.m.
Love Neito and would love to have him back just don’t think COL is going the bottom 6 winger route.
Jan. 17, 2023 at 1:06 p.m.
sharcuda22
Vlasic has had a much better year this year, if he keeps it up I don’t see them buying him out after this year honestly. Still not worth the contract but i see them trying to get another year out of him. And if Grier thinks the team needs another year to be competitive that’s fine, same with Zaitsev. He does have to make moves to be competitive but he can wait a year, this is his first year as GM. I see them trying to move Karlsson in the offseason to unload that contract more than I see them buying out Vlasic.

To add on to this even if we take on zaitzev it will be hard for our d-core to be worse and if we get average goal tending next season its all but a lock we will be more competitive anyways + adding eklund and bordeleau into the squad will only make it better
glarson17 liked this.
Jan. 17, 2023 at 1:15 p.m.
Stovetop

Yeah it would be a big mistake to buy out Vlasic as long as we can afford him and we're not competitive. If in say, 2 years Sharks sneak into a playoff spot and need to pay someone like Eklund, Gush, Robins, Bords, etc. and need an extra 3 mil in cap space, then that's a different story. But no need as long as they can stay under the cap and aren't competitive
glarson17 liked this.
Jan. 17, 2023 at 1:25 p.m.
Yeah it would be a big mistake to buy out Vlasic as long as we can afford him and we're not competitive. If in say, 2 years Sharks sneak into a playoff spot and need to pay someone like Eklund, Gush, Robins, Bords, etc. and need an extra 3 mil in cap space, then that's a different story. But no need as long as they can stay under the cap and aren't competitive

I could see them buying him out after next season whether the team is good or not just to have the cap flexibility. The buyout isn’t bad after this year, well it’s manageable

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll