Initial Creation Date: Jan. 19, 2023
Published: Jan. 19, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
C - Dahlin
A - Cozens
A - Girgensons

- Okposo retires and takes role within organization
- Yes it is a lot of money to add on the back end when they need to extend Power and Dahlin but outside of Dahlin, Power, and Samuelsson they need help
- Could use a veteran goalie if Comrie doesn't turn it around
- No I don't expect them to make any of these trades and no I didn't give your team enough in a trade I apologize in perpituity
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
2$925,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
8$7,750,000
2$1,500,000
1$950,000
1$850,000
1$775,000
1$875,000
1$875,000
1$875,000
2$1,750,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$875,000
1$2,000,000
Trades
BUF
  1. 2025 3rd round pick (NYI)
Additional Details:
NYI lose Mayfield
NYI
  1. Lyubushkin, Ilya ($1,375,000 retained)
BUF
  1. Foote, Cal [RFA Rights]
Additional Details:
Granato reclamation project
TBL
  1. 2025 7th round pick (BUF)
BUF
  1. Puljujärvi, Jesse [RFA Rights]
  2. 2024 1st round pick (EDM)
EDM
  1. Olofsson, Victor
  2. 2024 5th round pick (BUF)
BUF
  1. Goodrow, Barclay
  2. 2023 3rd round pick (COL)
NYR
  1. Asplund, Rasmus
  2. 2023 4th round pick (BUF)
BUF
  1. McDonagh, Ryan
  2. 2023 4th round pick (TOR)
NSH
  1. 2023 2nd round pick (VGK)
CHI
  1. Bloom, Josh
  2. Portillo, Erik [Reserve List]
  3. 2023 2nd round pick (BUF)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the COL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$82,500,000$74,969,404$0$3,145,000$7,530,596
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$9,000,000$9,000,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 4
$7,142,857$7,142,857
C
UFA - 7
$4,750,000$4,750,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$855,833$855,833 (Performance Bonus$32,500$32K)
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$7,750,000$7,750,000
C, LW
UFA - 7
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW, C
RFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C
UFA - 1
$1,750,000$1,750,000
RW
UFA - 2
Logo of the New York Rangers
$3,641,667$3,641,667
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$412,500$412K)
C, LW
RFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,285,714$4,285,714
LD
UFA - 7
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$837,500$837,500
G
RFA - 1
$916,667$916,667 (Performance Bonus$1,850,000$2M)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$4,400,000$4,400,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,800,000$1,800,000
G
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RD
RFA - 1
Logo of the Nashville Predators
$6,750,000$6,750,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$875,000$875,000
RD
RFA - 1
$1,850,000$1,850,000
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
LW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 19, 2023 at 9:47 a.m.
Nightowl26
Isles only do this if you take Bailey
Jan. 19, 2023 at 9:49 a.m.
You realize we get a 2nd round pick of we don't sign Johnson right?
Jan. 19, 2023 at 9:50 a.m.
Quoting: Nightowl26
Isles only do this if you take Bailey

Lol, get out of here
Jan. 19, 2023 at 10:01 a.m.
Quoting: littlejerryseinfeld
You realize we get a 2nd round pick of we don't sign Johnson right?

I had no idea. Good catch and thanks for the info - I'll delete that.
Jan. 19, 2023 at 10:06 a.m.
Quoting: mac11_716
I had no idea. Good catch and thanks for the info - I'll delete that.

It's limited to 1st round picks who don't sign
mac11_716 liked this.
Jan. 19, 2023 at 10:15 a.m.
Not bad, I personally wouldn't do 4 or 5 but not bad at all.
mac11_716 and gretzkyghosts liked this.
Jan. 19, 2023 at 12:08 p.m.
Buffalo fans really have a thing for Goodrow. Well, keep dreaming because it's never happening. Rangers pass.
Jan. 19, 2023 at 12:40 p.m.
Quoting: delneggs
Buffalo fans really have a thing for Goodrow. Well, keep dreaming because it's never happening. Rangers pass.

By no means do I need Goodrow, but he would make sense for the Sabres. If you were a good bottom-six winger that can kill penalties, I would love to have you on the team.
Jan. 19, 2023 at 12:46 p.m.
By no means do I need Goodrow, but he would make sense for the Sabres. If you were a good bottom-six winger that can kill penalties, I would love to have you on the team.

Yeah, you and few other Buffalo fans keep posting trades for Goodrow giving the Rangers back players they don't need or want. The Rangers are not interested in trading him, for the reasons you posted, and I am guessing these is zero chance he would waive his NMC to play in Buffalo.
Jan. 19, 2023 at 1:06 p.m.
Nightowl26
Quoting: littlejerryseinfeld
Lol, get out of here

ok, isles decline..no use for him. We need to shed cap and older players
gretzkyghosts liked this.
Jan. 19, 2023 at 1:19 p.m.
Quoting: delneggs
Yeah, you and few other Buffalo fans keep posting trades for Goodrow giving the Rangers back players they don't need or want. The Rangers are not interested in trading him, for the reasons you posted, and I am guessing these is zero chance he would waive his NMC to play in Buffalo.

Fair enough. We do have one fan who posted it and I think a ton of us like the idea for reasons already said. However, aren't the Rangers running into cap problems soon? I am not privy to the Rangers other than what is posted on here, but I think one of the other main reasons Goodrow has been targeted by Sabres fans is because the Rangers will need to shed some salary soon and he seems like a good candidate as a 3rd line player.
Jan. 19, 2023 at 1:35 p.m.
Fair enough. We do have one fan who posted it and I think a ton of us like the idea for reasons already said. However, aren't the Rangers running into cap problems soon? I am not privy to the Rangers other than what is posted on here, but I think one of the other main reasons Goodrow has been targeted by Sabres fans is because the Rangers will need to shed some salary soon and he seems like a good candidate as a 3rd line player.

Goodrow represents 4.4% of the total cap and he is worth every penny of it. Trading him will not solve their cap issues and only make the team worse.
Jan. 19, 2023 at 1:43 p.m.
we miss leo k
-I'd take Lyub as a one-year holdover if a guy like Grant Hutton isn't ready for RD3 minutes. I'd also skip the retention if it means you can lower the cost to a 4th - I'd rather have Lyub for a year while we wait to see what might develop in the AHL for RD3, as opposed to extending a 2-years-older Mayfield for an AAV that would be higher than Lyub's $2.75M.

-If Tampa's done with Foote, I think they take this. I feel like they might hang on to him, so you might need to push up to a 4th or something along those lines to get him.

-Don't know if Edmonton gives up a 1st in these deal, but I like the thought behind it. Maybe kill the extra pick coming back from Buffalo, use the retention slot you were going to use on Lyubushkin here instead, and have Edmonton send back a 2023 2nd? Like the bones but think it needs some tweaking.

-I could see the Rangers doing this if they *need* to clear cap - Asplund is a defense-first forward with a little of offensive pop, basically a budget version of what Goodrow typically brings. But again - only if the Rangers need to clear up space.

-Would be intrigued to see how the Preds look at this deal. Part of me thinks the value is good, and they jump on it - but another part of me looks at that roster and how many players are 30+ and locked into long term deals, and I think they give it at least another year before cashing in the old guys for futures. It's gonna be really hard to go full tear-down in Nashville til after the '24-25 season, I think - so they probably ride it out through then.

-I feel like this might be a lot to give up for a second pair RD like Murphy - it's hard to judge him because almost everyone's getting caved in on that bad Blackhawks team. Part of me thinks it might be a better move to skip that McDonagh offer, throw the 2nd you were gonna use there into this package, and push for Jake McCabe back - he's the only guy on that Chicago blue line putting up solid defensive numbers, and he's probably bummed he didn't get to play for Granato like every one of his old teammates got to. Throw him in the LD3 slot you have McDonagh in, push Joker up to RD2, and either let Foote sink or swim at RD3 or sign a vet to a 1 year deal - and there's your D corps!
Jan. 19, 2023 at 3:29 p.m.
Quoting: dannibalcorpse
-I'd take Lyub as a one-year holdover if a guy like Grant Hutton isn't ready for RD3 minutes. I'd also skip the retention if it means you can lower the cost to a 4th - I'd rather have Lyub for a year while we wait to see what might develop in the AHL for RD3, as opposed to extending a 2-years-older Mayfield for an AAV that would be higher than Lyub's $2.75M.

-If Tampa's done with Foote, I think they take this. I feel like they might hang on to him, so you might need to push up to a 4th or something along those lines to get him.

-Don't know if Edmonton gives up a 1st in these deal, but I like the thought behind it. Maybe kill the extra pick coming back from Buffalo, use the retention slot you were going to use on Lyubushkin here instead, and have Edmonton send back a 2023 2nd? Like the bones but think it needs some tweaking.

-I could see the Rangers doing this if they *need* to clear cap - Asplund is a defense-first forward with a little of offensive pop, basically a budget version of what Goodrow typically brings. But again - only if the Rangers need to clear up space.

-Would be intrigued to see how the Preds look at this deal. Part of me thinks the value is good, and they jump on it - but another part of me looks at that roster and how many players are 30+ and locked into long term deals, and I think they give it at least another year before cashing in the old guys for futures. It's gonna be really hard to go full tear-down in Nashville til after the '24-25 season, I think - so they probably ride it out through then.

-I feel like this might be a lot to give up for a second pair RD like Murphy - it's hard to judge him because almost everyone's getting caved in on that bad Blackhawks team. Part of me thinks it might be a better move to skip that McDonagh offer, throw the 2nd you were gonna use there into this package, and push for Jake McCabe back - he's the only guy on that Chicago blue line putting up solid defensive numbers, and he's probably bummed he didn't get to play for Granato like every one of his old teammates got to. Throw him in the LD3 slot you have McDonagh in, push Joker up to RD2, and either let Foote sink or swim at RD3 or sign a vet to a 1 year deal - and there's your D corps!
As usual a great analysis.

As to the Olofsson trade, are you recommending Buffalo retain 50% and Edmonton add a second, or reduce the first to a second with the retention?
Regardless, let's keep in mind Buffalo is also taking Puljujarvi who may have negative value without retention.
If you are recommending Edmonton trade a first, second and Jesse for Olofsson, please do not read any further.

It has taken me four years but I have finally become an Olofsson supporter.
Over the last 17 games the line of Jost-Mittelstadt-Olofsson has truly gelled (Victor's line mates are a waiver claim and a possible underperforming 8th OA pick).
During that period they have 12 goals and 32 pts. with Olofsson contributing 7 of those goals.

During his career he has been described as a one trick PP pony, who could only score because Eichel was feeding him the puck.
Well he is on his way to a career year without Jack and only 4 of his 18 goals have come on the PP this year.
Maybe Edmonton will not give up a first, keep in mind it is next year's first, but I would not trade away a player who has averaged 26g/82 gm over his career for less than a late first in what is considered a weak draft.
To put those goals into perspective Nylander and Reinhart are at 27 and 26 goals/82 games over their careers. This is not to say he is talented as they, only to put his accomplishments into focus.
Finally, on Feb 26, 2018 Tatar was traded for a 1st, 2nd and 3rd and at the time of the trade he was averaging only 23 goals/82 games.
Tatar had a longer but higher AVV contract.

Well that is my rant for today.
dannibalcorpse liked this.
Jan. 19, 2023 at 3:50 p.m.
we miss leo k
Quoting: gretzkyghosts
As usual a great analysis.

As to the Olofsson trade, are you recommending Buffalo retain 50% and Edmonton add a second, or reduce the first to a second with the retention?
Regardless, let's keep in mind Buffalo is also taking Puljujarvi who may have negative value without retention.
If you are recommending Edmonton trade a first, second and Jesse for Olofsson, please do not read any further.

It has taken me four years but I have finally become an Olofsson supporter.
Over the last 17 games the line of Jost-Mittelstadt-Olofsson has truly gelled (Victor's line mates are a waiver claim and a possible underperforming 8th OA pick).
During that period they have 12 goals and 32 pts. with Olofsson contributing 7 of those goals.

During his career he has been described as a one trick PP pony, who could only score because Eichel was feeding him the puck.
Well he is on his way to a career year without Jack and only 4 of his 18 goals have come on the PP this year.
Maybe Edmonton will not give up a first, keep in mind it is next year's first, but I would not trade away a player who has averaged 26g/82 gm over his career for less than a late first in what is considered a weak draft.
To put those goals into perspective Nylander and Reinhart are at 27 and 26 goals/82 games over their careers. This is not to say he is talented as they, only to put his accomplishments into focus.
Finally, on Feb 26, 2018 Tatar was traded for a 1st, 2nd and 3rd and at the time of the trade he was averaging only 23 goals/82 games.
Tatar had a longer but higher AVV contract.

Well that is my rant for today.

To me, the biggest issue trying to find value for Olofsson is that he's truly an "eye of the beholder" type of player. He's very good at what he does - but in some cases, it doesn't matter. For example, Edmonton - do you really think a team with Connor McDavid & Leon Draisaitl is going to place a huge value on an offensive-minded PP stud? That's why I think if you're targeting the Oilers in a trade, you're either going to need to retain (their cap situation is not great) or you're going to get rid of his full cap hit but get a lesser return.

But different teams are going to value him higher, obviously - I would think a team like the Islanders would look at a guy like Olofsson as a way to jump-start their miserable power play, and maybe add a decent finisher to a team sorely lacking in them. That kinda team would clearly put forth a better offer because Olofsson fits a need better for them.
Jan. 19, 2023 at 9:19 p.m.
Quoting: dannibalcorpse

I appreciate the in-depth breakdown and thoughtful response!

- I've a handful of posts with Lightening fans basically giving Foote away. I think with his skillset and size, he would be a really good option for Buffalo to buy low. Granato has a way with guys that struggle and makes them good, so that is my hope here. I would be comfortable giving up as much as a 4th for sure.

- I could see what you proposed with Edmonton working too. Like I just said with Foote and Granato getting the most out of young guys, Puljujarvi falls into that category and he has a lot of the things Buffalo is missing. I am not fully sure on the value of Olofsson because sometimes he is a really good scoring threat and other times he disappears, but he has become much more of a complete player over the past two years. If he got on McDavid's wing ... he would be unleashed.

- McDonagh is just everything Buffalo needs on the defense. I certainly see what you're saying in terms of Nashville giving it another run. I would really just love that guy on defense who has played in every situation, is still good, can mentor, is defensive minded, and can still contribute. He would be a perfect fit. I also am a big Luke Schenn fan for Power. Stay at home guy who hits and can let Power unleash more of his offensive side.

- I really like where your head is at with this. Murphy is someone that would be a really good partner for Power. I have no idea what his value is because he is a solid player but some Hawks fans on here think he is worth a 1st and a mid-level prospect. McCabe was always really underrated while he was here and I think he would be another great fit. I actually did an ACGM the other day where I had Murphy and McCabe coming to Buffalo to fill the 2RD and 3LD roles. I would not be opposed to getting McCabe, but Hawks fans again think he is worth a 1st and a decent amount more. I really think the Sabres are missing a veteran defensemen, whether it be in the 2nd or 3rd pairing. They certainly need help on the back end in any way.
dannibalcorpse liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll