Forums/Armchair-GM

This squad is underrated

Created by: Islesforthecup
Team: 2023-24 New York Islanders
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 8, 2023
Published: Feb. 8, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Idk who might be interested in wahlstrom so I picked a random team.
As for RW1 he’s not a 1st line caliber player but they need someone in that spot who can win puck battles and funnel pucks to the net. He doesn’t have Wally’s upside but his floor is higher and he fits the line better.
The d-pairs could be a bunch of different combos mostly depending on left side development. 3-6 28-8 4-24,
3-6 4-8 28-24, or 3-8 28-6 4-24.
There aren’t really any big changes but I think with some LHD progression and hopefully a fit with 13/14 this team can make a run. Also Bailey is still on this roster so if you’d want to make a bigger acquisition you can open up 5m without detracting from the team.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$800,000
3$800,000
3$800,000
3$800,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$800,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$775,000
4$1,125,000
5$3,000,000
2$2,000,000
1$800,000
Trades
NYI
    Ladd trade
    ARI
    1. 2023 3rd round pick (NYI)
    NYI
      Retired
      ARI
      1. Clutterbuck, Cal
      Additional Details:
      Gets a job with org (like boychuck)
      NYI
      1. 2023 1st round pick (DAL)
      2. 2023 3rd round pick (COL)
      NYR
      1. Wahlstrom, Oliver [RFA Rights]
      Buyouts
      DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
      Logo of the DAL
      Logo of the NYI
      Logo of the COL
      Logo of the NYI
      Logo of the NYI
      Logo of the NYI
      Logo of the NYI
      Logo of the NYI
      Logo of the NYI
      Logo of the NYI
      Logo of the NYI
      Logo of the NYI
      Logo of the NYI
      Logo of the NYI
      Logo of the NYI
      Logo of the NYI
      Logo of the NYI
      Logo of the NYI
      Logo of the NYI
      Logo of the NYI
      Logo of the NYI
      ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
      23$83,500,000$83,097,500$0$57,500$402,500
      Left WingCentreRight Wing
      Logo of the New York Islanders
      $9,150,000$9,150,000
      C, RW
      UFA - 8
      $8,500,000$8,500,000
      C
      NTC
      UFA - 8
      $859,167$859,167 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
      RW
      RFA - 2
      $7,000,000$7,000,000
      LW
      NTC
      UFA - 3
      $5,000,000$5,000,000
      RW, LW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 2
      $775,000$775,000
      LW
      UFA - 1
      $6,000,000$6,000,000
      C, LW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 2
      $863,333$863,333
      RW
      RFA - 1
      $1,500,000$1,500,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 1
      $5,000,000$5,000,000
      C
      M-NTC
      UFA - 3
      $1,125,000$1,125,000
      RW
      UFA - 2
      $2,500,000$2,500,000
      C
      UFA - 4
      Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
      $5,750,000$5,750,000
      LD
      NTC
      UFA - 6
      $6,150,000$6,150,000
      RD
      NTC
      UFA - 7
      $4,000,000$4,000,000
      G
      UFA - 1
      $2,500,000$2,500,000
      LD
      RFA - 2
      $4,000,000$4,000,000
      RD
      RFA - 2
      $2,000,000$2,000,000
      G
      UFA - 4
      $800,000$800,000
      LD
      RFA - 2
      $3,000,000$3,000,000
      RD
      UFA - 7
      ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
      $800,000$800,000
      C, LW
      UFA - 1
      $825,000$825,000
      LD
      UFA - 1
      $5,000,000$5,000,000
      RW, LW, C
      UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
      • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
      Feb. 9, 2023 at 10:12 a.m.
      we miss leo k
      Quoting: Despise
      Panarin and mika* unless he slots in on line 3 with kreider and trochek, which trust me, gallant would so bury that kid hahahaha.

what is it about NY hockey coaches and their love of absolutely burying any young talent their team might have???
      Islesforthecup and Goalie liked this.
      Feb. 9, 2023 at 10:24 a.m.
      we miss leo k
      Quoting: Islesforthecup
      Wahlstrom’s on pace for 16 goals over 82 games playing 1st line the whole year.

Wahlstrom was getting 12:10 a night this year before getting hurt - he had 2 games out of 35 where he was on ice for more than 15 minutes (which I'd still say is more 2nd line minutes than 1st line). It's hard to say he'd obviously keep up his per 60 numbers with more TOI, but he clearly hasn't been getting top minutes on this team.
      Feb. 9, 2023 at 2:01 p.m.
      Quoting: dannibalcorpse
      Wahlstrom was getting 12:10 a night this year before getting hurt - he had 2 games out of 35 where he was on ice for more than 15 minutes (which I'd still say is more 2nd line minutes than 1st line). It's hard to say he'd obviously keep up his per 60 numbers with more TOI, but he clearly hasn't been getting top minutes on this team.

1st line meaning with Barzy and a lot of O-zone starts
      Feb. 9, 2023 at 2:02 p.m.
      Quoting: Db1899
      Wahlstrom doesn’t control his ice time and he was not on the 1st line. He was playing bottom 6 minutes. Only Nelson has produced at a higher rate at 5v5. His playmaking is actually very good, he wouldn’t have as many assists as he does without it, there are multiple high end plays I can pull up that shows he’s at worst an average playmaker.

Everything you said is your opinion of him. But the numbers just doesn’t support it, basic or advanced stats.

FC68-E1-A2-A265-4440-81-C2-48175-D1-D799-E">

Right bc points is a great way to measure a player’s success.
      Also he most certainly was on the 1st line he’s played with barzal all year
      Feb. 9, 2023 at 2:11 p.m.
      @db1899
      I’m not going to quote every post so I’ll address them all here.
      Pass to Barzy - 1 nice pass a year ago. He looked lost this year.
      Pass to JG - literally every single AHL caliber player makes that pass.
      Pass to Parise - this one was ok, nothing special but what makes it better is that this is supposed to be his highlight.
      Pass to Aho - this one might be an easier pass than the one to JGP
      Feb. 9, 2023 at 2:17 p.m.
      Right bc points is a great way to measure a player’s success.
      Also he most certainly was on the 1st line he’s played with barzal all year

Using a combination of analytics and points is a great way to measure success. 2 points per 60 is the benchmark for a top 6 forward, Wahlstrom also has the best GF% on the team and had one of the best defensive impacts. There’s really aren’t any stats you could pull up that can prove he wasn’t one of their better forwards.

You don’t understand what playing 1st line means. He averaged bottom 6 minutes , that’s the indicator of what role he was in.

Still waiting for you to prove he’s a below average playmaker.
      Feb. 9, 2023 at 2:20 p.m.
      we miss leo k
      1st line meaning with Barzy and a lot of O-zone starts

that's the thing - Barzal gets nearly 19 minutes of ice time per night and Wahlstrom was getting barely 12. If Wahlstrom's scoring at a 35-40 point pace getting 12 minutes a night with Barzal, wouldn't it be worth seeing if it extrapolates out to 55-60 points if you give him the same amount of ice time?

Just because Wahlstrom spent a lot of his TOI with Barzal doesn't necessarily mean he was getting 1st line minutes. He was getting literally the same amount of time every night that Cal Clutterbuck was getting - that's the point that I'm trying to make. He's clearly showing offensive promise by making the most of his limited ice time, so when he's healthy, why wouldn't you try and give him *more* ice time to see if that production scales up?
      Db1899 liked this.
      Feb. 9, 2023 at 2:24 p.m.
      db1899
      I’m not going to quote every post so I’ll address them all here.
      Pass to Barzy - 1 nice pass a year ago. He looked lost this year.
      Pass to JG - literally every single AHL caliber player makes that pass.
      Pass to Parise - this one was ok, nothing special but what makes it better is that this is supposed to be his highlight.
      Pass to Aho - this one might be an easier pass than the one to JGP

ironic how you bring up IQ when you talk about hockey like you've never watched a game before. You lack the ability to talk about hockey objectively, these are all your opinions, nothing you've said is true.

"He looks lost" - prove it than! You talk like a 40 YO who lives in his moms basement.

Wahlstrom has been their 2nd best winger this season and there isn't a close 2nd

<a href=Screen-Shot-2023-02-09-at-2-22-46-PMjson to topojson">
      Feb. 9, 2023 at 2:29 p.m.
      that's the thing - Barzal gets nearly 19 minutes of ice time per night and Wahlstrom was getting barely 12. If Wahlstrom's scoring at a 35-40 point pace getting 12 minutes a night with Barzal, wouldn't it be worth seeing if it extrapolates out to 55-60 points if you give him the same amount of ice time?

Just because Wahlstrom spent a lot of his TOI with Barzal doesn't necessarily mean he was getting 1st line minutes. He was getting literally the same amount of time every night that Cal Clutterbuck was getting - that's the point that I'm trying to make. He's clearly showing offensive promise by making the most of his limited ice time, so when he's healthy, why wouldn't you try and give him *more* ice time to see if that production scales up?

I remember when Nashville fans wanted tolvanen traded because he couldn't put up 50 pts in a 4th line role. Now he's getting 2nd line minutes on one of the better teams in the league and thriving
      Feb. 9, 2023 at 3:28 p.m.
      Exhausted Ranger Fan
      what is it about NY hockey coaches and their love of absolutely burying any young talent their team might have???

Am I right!! Our THIRD LINE is our most productive (Kid line)

AND ITS STILL THE THIRD LINE
      dannibalcorpse liked this.
      Feb. 9, 2023 at 3:28 p.m.
      we miss leo k
      I remember when Nashville fans wanted tolvanen traded because he couldn't put up 50 pts in a 4th line role. Now he's getting 2nd line minutes on one of the better teams in the league and thriving

I'm pretty sure we've both expressed our annoyance at this, but I still feel that a big reason Trotz was let go was because he was still giving Wahlstrom 9 mintues a night when the team was completely out of playoff range. Those games don't matter! Give Josh Bailey a night off and let the kid skate and see what you got, every team in every single sport gives the backups & prospects some run when they're playing out the string!!

The biggest shock to me was when Lambert came out of the gate and still refused to give him more than 12-13 a night, even after he put up 4 points in the first 2 games of the year. This kid needs a damn break to go his way.
      Db1899 liked this.
      Feb. 9, 2023 at 5:17 p.m.
      I'm pretty sure we've both expressed our annoyance at this, but I still feel that a big reason Trotz was let go was because he was still giving Wahlstrom 9 mintues a night when the team was completely out of playoff range. Those games don't matter! Give Josh Bailey a night off and let the kid skate and see what you got, every team in every single sport gives the backups & prospects some run when they're playing out the string!!

The biggest shock to me was when Lambert came out of the gate and still refused to give him more than 12-13 a night, even after he put up 4 points in the first 2 games of the year. This kid needs a damn break to go his way.

a lot of players with his skillset get treated the same way and they usually break out eventually, whether its on the same or different team (tolvanen, Tippett, Nino niedereieter, sprong, vrana, burakovsky)
      dannibalcorpse liked this.
      Feb. 9, 2023 at 6:02 p.m.

Well 1st of all barzal plays on the PP and wahly doesnt. But regardless of how many minutes he’s getting they’re 1st line quality minutes. Cal plays 4th line quality minutes.
      Feb. 9, 2023 at 6:07 p.m.
      a lot of players with his skillset get treated the same way and they usually break out eventually, whether its on the same or different team (tolvanen, Tippett, Nino niedereieter, sprong, vrana, burakovsky)

Literally every single player on that list (with the exception of tolvanen bc I just don’t know about him) is a significantly better skater than 26. And what do you mean breakout? Nino was playing with 4th liners in NY not barzal quality players. Vrana passed through waivers and is in the AHL. Tolvanen? If you’re going to count a 16 game sample in SEA than you should just as highly value his 13 game sample in NSH this year.
      Feb. 9, 2023 at 6:09 p.m.

It’s almost like every coach doesn’t want to play him yet mr. dannibalcorpse on CF knows better.
      Feb. 9, 2023 at 7:24 p.m.
      Well 1st of all barzal plays on the PP and wahly doesnt. But regardless of how many minutes he’s getting they’re 1st line quality minutes. Cal plays 4th line quality minutes.

1st line role would require PP time...Wahlstrom doesn't get 1st line quality minutes, most of his shifts are on the fly or in the neutral zone. His role is actually harder than most because he doesn't get a lot of time to produce yet he's still one of the teams most efficient producers.

Wahlstrom is not on a 1st line role, not by quality of teammates or ice time. There is no debating this
      Feb. 9, 2023 at 7:25 p.m.
      It’s almost like every coach doesn’t want to play him yet mr. dannibalcorpse on CF knows better.

actually it's you who thinks he knows better - you speak like a true peasant. All opinions, no facts to back it up
      Feb. 9, 2023 at 7:29 p.m.
      Literally every single player on that list (with the exception of tolvanen bc I just don’t know about him) is a significantly better skater than 26. And what do you mean breakout? Nino was playing with 4th liners in NY not barzal quality players. Vrana passed through waivers and is in the AHL. Tolvanen? If you’re going to count a 16 game sample in SEA than you should just as highly value his 13 game sample in NSH this year.

Vrana has been one of the best 5v5 goal scorers in the NHL over the past 3 seasons, just because hes fallen out of favor with the redwings doesn't mean he isn't a great player. He broke out, he's an elite goal scorer.

Tolvanen has always played well in limited minutes with Nashville, he was just buried by his coaches for no reason. He has always been this type of player, he's just producing more because he is getting more ice time.

Wahlstrom's skating hasn't held him back because he still consistently gets shots off from the dangerous spots on the ice. Kieffer bellows skating held him back because he wasn't able to get his shot off from high and mid danger spots.
      Feb. 9, 2023 at 11:23 p.m.
      we miss leo k

Barzal averages 15:16 of 5v5 TOI per game and Wahlstrom averaged only 11:05 before getting hurt. He hasn't played a minute in 2023 and he's still 9th on the team in scoring. The only forwards on the team scoring at a better points per game rate than him are Barzal, Nelson, Lee, Pageau, & Palmieri. I don't know how many different ways I can show that he's producing at a top-6 pace despite getting less time every night than Hudson friggin Fasching is getting, and how it makes little sense that a team that has had as much trouble generating offense as the Islanders just keeps putting the Josh Baileys of the world in the lineup above him.

Screenshot-2023-01-29-at-7.32.38-PM.png

He's done very good work when he's on the ice. There's no reason to not give him more of a chance when he's healthy, unless you'd rather keep rolling out Josh Bailey to aimlessly skate around while Barzal & Horvat try and drag some sort of offense out of this team?
      Feb. 9, 2023 at 11:27 p.m.
      we miss leo k

and obviously the solution is just to walk on from him and put some random 5th round pick on the top line instead, of course. because I'm sure Wahlstrom's treatment has nothing to do with the bizarre jerking around this team does with its prospects...what's that? I'm hearing that Dufour actually got into an NHL game this year and was on the ice for 7 minutes and didn't leave the bench in the 3rd period? Oh, that's weird!
      Db1899 liked this.
      Feb. 10, 2023 at 1:46 a.m.
      Barzal averages 15:16 of 5v5 TOI per game and Wahlstrom averaged only 11:05 before getting hurt. He hasn't played a minute in 2023 and he's still 9th on the team in scoring. The only forwards on the team scoring at a better points per game rate than him are Barzal, Nelson, Lee, Pageau, & Palmieri. I don't know how many different ways I can show that he's producing at a top-6 pace despite getting less time every night than Hudson friggin Fasching is getting, and how it makes little sense that a team that has had as much trouble generating offense as the Islanders just keeps putting the Josh Baileys of the world in the lineup above him.

Screenshot-2023-01-29-at-7.32.38-PM.png

He's done very good work when he's on the ice. There's no reason to not give him more of a chance when he's healthy, unless you'd rather keep rolling out Josh Bailey to aimlessly skate around while Barzal & Horvat try and drag some sort of offense out of this team?

But I thought pageau and Palmieri produce at a 4th line rate? So if they’re producing better than wahly doesn’t that mean that he also produces at a 4th line rate??????
      Feb. 10, 2023 at 1:47 a.m.
      actually it's you who thinks he knows better - you speak like a true peasant. All opinions, no facts to back it up

What about my comment wasn’t fact
      Feb. 10, 2023 at 1:49 a.m.
      and obviously the solution is just to walk on from him and put some random 5th round pick on the top line instead, of course. because I'm sure Wahlstrom's treatment has nothing to do with the bizarre jerking around this team does with its prospects...what's that? I'm hearing that Dufour actually got into an NHL game this year and was on the ice for 7 minutes and didn't leave the bench in the 3rd period? Oh, that's weird!

Random 5th round pick. I’m just trying to have a good faith discussion but it seems you’re not interested
      Feb. 10, 2023 at 10:07 a.m.
      we miss leo k
      Random 5th round pick. I’m just trying to have a good faith discussion but it seems you’re not interested

Dufour had great numbers in his overage season in the Q and has put up good numbers in his first AHL season. Is there potential there? Sure, the fact that he's already played an NHL game puts him ahead of most of the rest of history's 5th rounders. But dumping a guy who's been one of the most productive players on a per-minute basis for him? Dumping a guy who's proven that he can play at the NHL level for a guy who hasn't, then sticking that guy on the top line, just seems like a recipe for disaster.
      Feb. 10, 2023 at 10:10 a.m.
      we miss leo k
      But I thought pageau and Palmieri produce at a 4th line rate? So if they’re producing better than wahly doesn’t that mean that he also produces at a 4th line rate??????

guy accuses me of not having a good faith conversation and then puts words in my mouth, pot meet kettle

To create a post please Login or Register
      Question:
      Options:
      Add Option
      Submit Poll