Forums/Armchair-GM

Finishing touches

Created by: Ab27
Team: 2022-23 New York Rangers
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 10, 2023
Published: Feb. 10, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Obviously the last thing they need is to finalize their 4th line. Would like to see them add some grit and/or speed down there. Whatever they do it has to be very cheap and likely a similar contract moving out.

**What do we think guys? What's the value for these guys? Is there anyone else we like?
Trades
NYR
  1. Motte, Tyler ($500,000 retained)
Additional Details:
"Fan Favorite"
OTT
  1. 2023 3rd round pick (COL)
NYR
  1. Jeannot, Tanner
Additional Details:
I think he's the best choice IMO, but would cost the most
NSH
  1. Kravtsov, Vitali
  2. 2024 2nd round pick (NYR)
NYR
  1. Bonino, Nick ($1,000,000 retained)
SJS
  1. Leschyshyn, Jake
Additional Details:
3rd Rd pick
Lesch added for cap compliance
ARI
    Kravtsov straight up?
    Maybe a 2nd or 3rd instead (would also have to include like Lesch for cap reasons)?
    Buyouts
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    24$82,500,000$84,253,969$0$3,700,000-$1,753,969
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the New York Rangers
    $11,642,857$11,642,857
    LW
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    $8,500,000$8,500,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 8
    $3,750,000$3,750,000
    RW
    NTC
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
    LW, RW
    RFA - 1
    $2,300,000$2,300,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 1
    $2,100,000$2,100,000
    RW
    RFA - 2
    $6,500,000$6,500,000
    LW
    NMC
    UFA - 5
    $5,625,000$5,625,000
    C, RW
    NMC
    UFA - 7
    $750,000$750,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Nashville Predators
    $800,000$800,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $3,641,667$3,641,667
    C, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 5
    $800,000$800,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Ottawa Senators
    $850,000$850,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the San Jose Sharks
    $25,000$25,000
    C, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
    $450,000$450,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    LD
    RFA - 2
    $9,500,000$9,500,000
    RD
    UFA - 7
    $5,666,667$5,666,667
    G
    UFA - 3
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
    LD
    RFA - 1
    $8,000,000$8,000,000
    RD
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    $1,500,000$1,500,000 (Performance Bonus$50,000$50K)
    G
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    $1,900,000$1,900,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
    RD
    RFA - 2
    $750,000$750,000
    LD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Feb. 10, 2023 at 8:57 a.m.
    Jeannot- love it but will be the most costly I believe. Also not sure if he really is on the market

Motte-love it, familiarity in the room and on ice with the players and system is nice. He won us all over last year

Bonino-has good history of making a difference but is he past all that? 🤷🏻‍♂️ not sold

Bjugstad-seems to be the 🔥 ticket item as he is having a good season on a bad team. Not sold

This are my thoughts. I’d target the first 2 for sure and possibly both if it can be done and they can play on Goody’s wings
    Feb. 10, 2023 at 9:17 a.m.
    Jimbo1119
    Each player mentioned here would be a real good addition to NYR, as any of these guys would result in displacing Lesch. And the costs mentioned for each all seem to be the going rate.

BUT....Plan A for me would be to put Krav on the Troch/Kreider line- try for the next 11 games (the TDL). This would put Goodrow on 4th line w/ Vesey and Gaut. If Krav doesn't show any traction- then make a deadline deal adding any one of the players mentioned here. That would put Goodrow in Krav's spot, and the trade would essentially complete the 4th line.

If Krav works out in this role- then NYR might just have a developing top 6 RW going forward. Can't forget... Senko is gone this year- and NYR are back to square 1 looking for another top6 RW. And pissing away 1st round picks to temporarily plug lineup holes is not good asset management.
    Feb. 10, 2023 at 9:27 a.m.
    NYR27
    Quoting: NYR1983
    Jeannot- love it but will be the most costly I believe. Also not sure if he really is on the market

Motte-love it, familiarity in the room and on ice with the players and system is nice. He won us all over last year

Bonino-has good history of making a difference but is he past all that? 🤷🏻‍♂️ not sold

Bjugstad-seems to be the 🔥 ticket item as he is having a good season on a bad team. Not sold

This are my thoughts. I’d target the first 2 for sure and possibly both if it can be done and they can play on Goody’s wings

I agree, I think Bjugstad could be an option with his size, however I think he will be a slight over pay.

Love the analysis though, agree with it all!
    Feb. 10, 2023 at 10:06 a.m.
    NYR27
    Quoting: Jimbo1119
    Each player mentioned here would be a real good addition to NYR, as any of these guys would result in displacing Lesch. And the costs mentioned for each all seem to be the going rate.

BUT....Plan A for me would be to put Krav on the Troch/Kreider line- try for the next 11 games (the TDL). This would put Goodrow on 4th line w/ Vesey and Gaut. If Krav doesn't show any traction- then make a deadline deal adding any one of the players mentioned here. That would put Goodrow in Krav's spot, and the trade would essentially complete the 4th line.

If Krav works out in this role- then NYR might just have a developing top 6 RW going forward. Can't forget... Senko is gone this year- and NYR are back to square 1 looking for another top6 RW. And pissing away 1st round picks to temporarily plug lineup holes is not good asset management.

That's a great though, might as well use Kravtsov to see if it can work out and if not, hopefully boost his trade value. So unfortunate because he really would have benefitted from a year or two of working in the AHL to better accruement to NHL game. Right now, it seems like he is just not good enough to be in top 6 and not the type of player to be in the bottom 6.
    Feb. 10, 2023 at 11:20 a.m.
    Quoting: Ab27
    That's a great though, might as well use Kravtsov to see if it can work out and if not, hopefully boost his trade value. So unfortunate because he really would have benefitted from a year or two of working in the AHL to better accruement to NHL game. Right now, it seems like he is just not good enough to be in top 6 and not the type of player to be in the bottom 6.

I think the one big thing we are missing with Kravy on the bench recently is that he's likely spending a ton of time in the gym to get up to top 6 level speed/strength, which is where he needs the most work. His skills are there, just not the full athletic and physical nature of a top-6 NHL role. It's really tough to build to that level when you're playing games every other night mid-season.

I know lots of people will say that he should be at that level now! He's 23 and not a developing kid anymore. The problem with that is this is his first full NHL season. He's closer to a year behind Laf/Kakko, in terms of development than trying to be their contemporary. I think if NYR is patient with him and Kravy is dedicated to earning his spot, he will get a shot on the top 6 with Kakko, but there's a ton of off-ice and practice work to be done with him first. I don't think that work can be completed during this season, much less 11 games.

IMO, work on the kid through this season and the off-season and see how it translates on ice next year. Don't move him unless the offer you get is too good to turn down.
    Feb. 10, 2023 at 12:11 p.m.
    Jimbo1119
    Quoting: valiqs
    I think the one big thing we are missing with Kravy on the bench recently is that he's likely spending a ton of time in the gym to get up to top 6 level speed/strength, which is where he needs the most work. His skills are there, just not the full athletic and physical nature of a top-6 NHL role. It's really tough to build to that level when you're playing games every other night mid-season.

I know lots of people will say that he should be at that level now! He's 23 and not a developing kid anymore. The problem with that is this is his first full NHL season. He's closer to a year behind Laf/Kakko, in terms of development than trying to be their contemporary. I think if NYR is patient with him and Kravy is dedicated to earning his spot, he will get a shot on the top 6 with Kakko, but there's a ton of off-ice and practice work to be done with him first. I don't think that work can be completed during this season, much less 11 games.

IMO, work on the kid through this season and the off-season and see how it translates on ice next year. Don't move him unless the offer you get is too good to turn down.

Excellent points here...I think you are spot on regarding his need to work on his strength. I've mentioned many times in other threads that the NHL is not a developmental league...but unfortunately the way Krav's development has been handled if he is to be an NHL player here or elsewhere development will have to happen at this level.

But just 2 more things to consider: 1. While development of most forwards does start to plateau around Krav's age, several Russian players have "popped" later than North American players. and 2. Even though Krav looks a little out of place in the NHL, he is not hurting the team for the minimal opportunity he has been given (unlike others the NYR choose to play). His analytics are actually very good for the sample size he has.

In the end, if they can receive compensation at least what they received for Lias Anderssen, I guess they have to consider...but moving Krav for a pure rental might prove disastrous. For now- as long as he isn't hurting the team (which is what the stats show) best thing is to continue to play him, and give him good minutes. With an NHL season behind him and some increased strength/conditioning....he might be ready to blossom.
    valiqs liked this.
    Feb. 10, 2023 at 12:46 p.m.
    Quoting: Jimbo1119
    Excellent points here...I think you are spot on regarding his need to work on his strength. I've mentioned many times in other threads that the NHL is not a developmental league...but unfortunately the way Krav's development has been handled if he is to be an NHL player here or elsewhere development will have to happen at this level.

But just 2 more things to consider: 1. While development of most forwards does start to plateau around Krav's age, several Russian players have "popped" later than North American players. and 2. Even though Krav looks a little out of place in the NHL, he is not hurting the team for the minimal opportunity he has been given (unlike others the NYR choose to play). His analytics are actually very good for the sample size he has.

In the end, if they can receive compensation at least what they received for Lias Anderssen, I guess they have to consider...but moving Krav for a pure rental might prove disastrous. For now- as long as he isn't hurting the team (which is what the stats show) best thing is to continue to play him, and give him good minutes. With an NHL season behind him and some increased strength/conditioning....he might be ready to blossom.

Some good points here too. Especially your second point about not hurting the team with his current play and opportunities. It's also possible that injuries or other factors could force him back in the lineup anyway. One thing to be careful with the analytics is the small sample size right now, but I guess you can't get a bigger sample size for more meaningful analytics without playing the guy lol.
    Feb. 10, 2023 at 1:30 p.m.
    NYR27
    Quoting: valiqs
    Some good points here too. Especially your second point about not hurting the team with his current play and opportunities. It's also possible that injuries or other factors could force him back in the lineup anyway. One thing to be careful with the analytics is the small sample size right now, but I guess you can't get a bigger sample size for more meaningful analytics without playing the guy lol.

Yeah I don't see the problem with them just playing him up until the TDL as long as they don't start to slip down the standings. It seems like the team is starting to find its stride. I guess we will all find out what happens next month!
    Jimbo1119 liked this.
    Feb. 10, 2023 at 2:38 p.m.
    Jimbo1119
    Quoting: Ab27
    Yeah I don't see the problem with them just playing him up until the TDL as long as they don't start to slip down the standings. It seems like the team is starting to find its stride. I guess we will all find out what happens next month!

I’m not even that big on the analytics- probably because I’m still trying to learn how to interpret beyond the obvious….but yeah- if things start to go bad for him or his line mates- simply put Goodrow in his spot while something else is worked out!

I mean I’m not there in the locker room or at the practices- but this seems simple…like a minimal risk situation with possibility for a big reward!
    Feb. 10, 2023 at 4:43 p.m.
    sensonfire
    Ottawa accepts.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll