Forums/Armchair-GM

DNVR cuz why not but the real title is Same Stuff But Different

Created by: Anus_McLeod
Team: 2022-23 Colorado Avalanche
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 17, 2023
Published: Feb. 17, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Going back to the same wells I've been to a number of times but with a twist. Oilers fans can let me know if this idea doesn't work for them. I kinda think it might though...

Anaheim Trade: I think the Ducks get a good deal here with a first and Olausson going their direction. I'm not sure Colorado would include the latter, but it may be a consideration if they either (a) feel Comtois can be a long-term piece or (b) as illustrated here, they can flip him for something they want.

Edmonton trade: Colorado takes full advantage of LTIR and retains on Comtois. The Oilers get a potentially good long-term piece at a cheap cap hit. They pay a decent price by adding a couple picks, but I feel like this could be a good outside the box move for both teams. For Colorado, Puljujarvi is a guy I could see resurrecting his game with the Avs. And for Edmonton, Comtois and his style of play could be a good compliment to their group.

Chicago trade: Not much to say here. JJ fits in Colorado's room and would give the team a temporary Johnson until permanent Johnson returns. Cheap and tested. Easy peasy.

Overall, the Avs give up their 2024 1st, 2023 6th, and Olausson and receive Henrique, Puljujarvi, Johnson, 2023 3rd, 2023 6th, and 2024 4th.
Trades
COL
  1. Comtois, Maxime
  2. Henrique, Adam ($2,912,500 retained)
  3. 2024 4th round pick (ANA)
ANA
  1. Olausson, Oskar
  2. 2024 1st round pick (COL)
COL
  1. Puljujärvi, Jesse
  2. 2023 3rd round pick (EDM)
  3. 2023 6th round pick (EDM)
EDM
  1. Comtois, Maxime ($1,000,000 retained)
CHI
  1. 2023 6th round pick (COL)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the COL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the COL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$82,500,000$77,383,750$25,000$3,350,000$5,116,250
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 5
$6,300,000$6,300,000
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$9,250,000$9,250,000
RW, C
UFA - 3
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 7
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$6,125,000$6,125,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 8
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
-$1,456,250-$1,456,250
LW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LW
UFA - 1
$908,333$908,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C, LW
RFA - 1
$1,050,000$1,050,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$9,000,000$9,000,000
RD
UFA - 5
$3,400,000$3,400,000
G
UFA - 3
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 5
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 4
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
LD/RD
RFA - 1
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$950,000$950,000
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$850,000$850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$987,500$987,500
LD/RD, LW
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 17, 2023 at 9:47 a.m.
Might not be enough without Comtois in there. Ducks decline
Feb. 17, 2023 at 9:50 a.m.
Quoting: Salzy

Based on prior acgms, I think some of your fellow Ducks fans will disagree. But I appreciate your opinion.

I will say that I think it's more than enough without Comtois. I wouldn't do a first and Olausson for just Rico from the Avs side.
Salzy and TJTwolf liked this.
Feb. 17, 2023 at 10:00 a.m.
Quoting: Anus_McLeod
Based on prior acgms, I think some of your fellow Ducks fans will disagree. But I appreciate your opinion.

I will say that I think it's more than enough without Comtois. I wouldn't do a first and Olausson for just Rico from the Avs side.

I said might not be enough cause demand + other offers could beat it. If this is the only offer they get they obviously take it but I have a hard time believing not one team offers a 2023 1st

Any 2023 1st gets picked over this, a good offer for sure without Comtois. We're essentially giving Comtois away for free here.

If the Ducks are trading Comtois they cut out COL and make the EDM trade themselves
Anus_McLeod liked this.
Feb. 17, 2023 at 10:09 a.m.
I said might not be enough cause demand + other offers could beat it. If this is the only offer they get they obviously take it but I have a hard time believing not one team offers a 2023 1st

Any 2023 1st gets picked over this, a good offer for sure without Comtois. We're essentially giving Comtois away for free here.

If the Ducks are trading Comtois they cut out COL and make the EDM trade themselves

I guess it depends on how they view Olausson. There is probably quite a bit of variation in there. But obviously I agree that if the offer gets beat, then the Ducks go a different direction.

I'm just not sure Comtois has as much value as you're assigning him. He has really fallen off. And while some (maybe a lot) is due to utilization, it does negatively affect any potential return. But Anaheim has the luxury of time with him. They don't have to rush any move if they don't like the offer, so you could be right on this.

Only other thing I'll say is that I didn't set it up as a three way. So maybe the straight Comtois for JP swap isn't a consideration. And perhaps the Ducks want to use their other two retention slots for something else.

But good thoughts on your part. I'll take them into consideration if I do another Avs/Ducks trade on here.
Feb. 17, 2023 at 10:51 a.m.
I guess it depends on how they view Olausson. There is probably quite a bit of variation in there. But obviously I agree that if the offer gets beat, then the Ducks go a different direction.

I'm just not sure Comtois has as much value as you're assigning him. He has really fallen off. And while some (maybe a lot) is due to utilization, it does negatively affect any potential return. But Anaheim has the luxury of time with him. They don't have to rush any move if they don't like the offer, so you could be right on this.

Only other thing I'll say is that I didn't set it up as a three way. So maybe the straight Comtois for JP swap isn't a consideration. And perhaps the Ducks want to use their other two retention slots for something else.

But good thoughts on your part. I'll take them into consideration if I do another Avs/Ducks trade on here.

Yeah for all I know Verbeek loves Olausson and he'd be all over this, impossible to 100% tell without being a fly on the wall in Verbeeks office.

I dont value him a ton right not, its hard to put any value on him really, if I was grading him i'd give him an incomplete haha.

If Comtois does get moved I think its up to whoever is our next HC honestly. If the new HC sees him as a great fit for the system thats going to be implemented then we keep him, if not Im sure he gets moved at the draft.

With how big of a trainwreck Dallas Eakins and his system is its hard to truly gauge whats going on with Comtois, his value has never been lower though you arent wrong there.

As you say though we have the luxury of time and I dont see the merit in selling low on Comtois right now. If we get what Verbeek deems as good value as with any player Comtois could be moved but I dont think his value gets any lower between today and the draft, but it could increase a decent amount.

Yeah I always like seeing your threads, people you can have civil conversations with can be hard to find on here sometimes tears of joy
Anus_McLeod and TJTwolf liked this.
Feb. 17, 2023 at 11:12 a.m.
Yeah for all I know Verbeek loves Olausson and he'd be all over this, impossible to 100% tell without being a fly on the wall in Verbeeks office.

I dont value him a ton right not, its hard to put any value on him really, if I was grading him i'd give him an incomplete haha.

If Comtois does get moved I think its up to whoever is our next HC honestly. If the new HC sees him as a great fit for the system thats going to be implemented then we keep him, if not Im sure he gets moved at the draft.

With how big of a trainwreck Dallas Eakins and his system is its hard to truly gauge whats going on with Comtois, his value has never been lower though you arent wrong there.

As you say though we have the luxury of time and I dont see the merit in selling low on Comtois right now. If we get what Verbeek deems as good value as with any player Comtois could be moved but I dont think his value gets any lower between today and the draft, but it could increase a decent amount.

Yeah I always like seeing your threads, people you can have civil conversations with can be hard to find on here sometimes tears of joy

Thanks for that, and likewise. I know for me, I come here because it's cool to know how players outside our individual bubbles are valued. Sometimes my assumptions are in the neighborhood, and sometimes they're way off.

I've been here long enough at this point to know who I can put stock in and who to completely ignore, lol. I generally have a good experience with Ducks fans. Some of the Canadian teams, however... grin
Feb. 17, 2023 at 11:18 a.m.
Thanks for that, and likewise. I know for me, I come here because it's cool to know how players outside our individual bubbles are valued. Sometimes my assumptions are in the neighborhood, and sometimes they're way off.

I've been here long enough at this point to know who I can put stock in and who to completely ignore, lol. I generally have a good experience with Ducks fans. Some of the Canadian teams, however... grin

Yeah I've been way off and I've been right on the money haha. It's impossible to be right all the time.

Oh for sure, I might have the longest ignore list on this site tears of joy I've had a good experience with most if not all Avs fans on here though
Feb. 17, 2023 at 11:26 a.m.
we miss leo k
-Maybe kill the 4th coming from the Ducks here? Not saying Comtois is only worth a 4th, but I think it would probably even it out a little more for Anaheim. I think it's pretty damn close as is, though.

-Part of me wonders if you don't make this a 3-way trade, because to me I just think "why wouldn't Anaheim just trade Comtois retained themselves?" So something like this:

EDM gets: Comtois (50% retained by ANA)
EDM sends: Puljuarvi, 2023 3rd, 2023 6th.

COL gets: Henrique (50% retained by ANA), Puljujarvi, 2023 3rd (from EDM)
COL gives: Olausson, 2024 1st

ANA gets: Olausson, 2024 1st (COL), 2023 6th (EDM)
ANA gives: Henrique (50% retention), Comtois (50% retention)

Maybe one more smaller piece needs to go to Anaheim, but not sure from who - but again, think that there's legs here. NHL needs more fun 3-team trades like this anyways.

-Nothing to say about this beyond "Temporary Johnson" being my 3rd-favorite '90s alternative song.
Feb. 17, 2023 at 11:30 a.m.

I’m not dealing Rico for anything less than a 23 1st myself
Anus_McLeod and Salzy liked this.
Feb. 17, 2023 at 11:36 a.m.
Quoting: dannibalcorpse
-Maybe kill the 4th coming from the Ducks here? Not saying Comtois is only worth a 4th, but I think it would probably even it out a little more for Anaheim. I think it's pretty damn close as is, though.

-Part of me wonders if you don't make this a 3-way trade, because to me I just think "why wouldn't Anaheim just trade Comtois retained themselves?" So something like this:

Maybe one more smaller piece needs to go to Anaheim, but not sure from who - but again, think that there's legs here. NHL needs more fun 3-team trades like this anyways.

-Nothing to say about this beyond "Temporary Johnson" being my 3rd-favorite '90s alternative song.

Ducks arent going to waste a retention spot on Comtois

Rico, Klingberg, Kulikov, Shattenkirk, Grant, and we've been rumored as a possible 3rd party retainer. It doesnt make sense to sell low on Comtois without retaining on him, it makes even less sense to retain even a penny of his contract

50% retaining on Comtois and Rico gonna cost 2 1sts, no reason for ANA to do it for anything less

Also not saying COL should do that, they 100% should not. Just doesnt make any sense for ANA to do it for less

Even without that Ducks get shafted harddddddd in that trade
dannibalcorpse and Anus_McLeod liked this.
Feb. 17, 2023 at 11:43 a.m.
we miss leo k
Ducks arent going to waste a retention spot on Comtois

Rico, Klingberg, Kulikov, Shattenkirk, Grant, and we've been rumored as a possible 3rd party retainer. It doesnt make sense to sell low on Comtois without retaining on him, it makes even less sense to retain even a penny of his contract

50% retaining on Comtois and Rico gonna cost 2 1sts, no reason for ANA to do it for anything less

Also not saying COL should do that, they 100% should not. Just doesnt make any sense for ANA to do it for less

Even without that Ducks get shafted harddddddd in that trade

Yeah, I think burning that 2nd retention spot on Comtois kills it from the Ducks perspective.

I still wonder if maybe you swap one of those other expiring contracts in for Max, if you can still build a 3-way deal here. Maybe Pool Party goes to Anaheim instead, they take a 20 game flyer on him to try and rebuild some trade value? I dunno.
Feb. 17, 2023 at 11:46 a.m.
Quoting: dannibalcorpse

I'd be fine dropping the 4th from the Ducks. I actually even thought about doing so but figured it is sometimes easy to pry a late pick from teams that are young and stocked with earlier picks.

Otherwise, I thought it made sense for Colorado to retain more than Anaheim due to them having other options for their slots.

Overall though, I agree. I think there is some trade that all three teams could benefit from. Not sure exactly how to tweak it (2023 1st maybe), but I don't think it's insanely far off.
Feb. 17, 2023 at 2:41 p.m.
My OCD requires the pick going to Chicago to be the 5th round so they have at least one pick in each round.
Feb. 17, 2023 at 2:55 p.m.
Quoting: Tucson
My OCD requires the pick going to Chicago to be the 5th round so they have at least one pick in each round.

I can actually relate to that more than I'd like to, lol.
TJTwolf liked this.
Feb. 17, 2023 at 7:09 p.m.
Take out Olausson, Comtois and the 4th, leave JP alone until the off season when EDM don't qualify him and offer a 7th for JJ, 6th if it's absolutely necessary.
Salzy liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll