Forums/Armchair-GM

How is this team supposed to make the playoffs next season

Created by: Reason
Team: 2023-24 Vancouver Canucks
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 5, 2023
Published: Mar. 5, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This team has put themselves in a disaster situation by not selling at the deadline. Reports were the team was unwilling to attach assets to move some of their contracts, do they think contracts are all of a sudden going to be easier to move in the offseason? I don't, they apparently already tried to do that last offseason and couldn't find any takers!

If this team truly wants to be competitive next season they are going to have to shed multiple contracts, add a capable 3rd line center, at minimum one more top 4 defensemen, and a capable backup goaltender. Assuming Bear signs for around 3M they then have -500k to sign all those players and fill out a complete roster, currently they are only rostering a team of 20 players for next season (with Bear signed).

I just cannot see how they can possible contend for the playoffs next year. To add the pieces they need to in order to a decent team, the pieces listed above, it’s going to cost at least 10M and that doesn’t even roster a full team, not to mention if they trade contracts away that opens additional roster spots they then have to fill.

Yikes!
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$3,000,000
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the DET
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
20$82,500,000$78,871,250$850,000$850,000$3,628,750
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$7,350,000$7,350,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$4,150,000$4,150,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$8,000,000$8,000,000
C, LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 7
$6,650,000$6,650,000
RW
UFA - 2
$4,750,000$4,750,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$883,750$883,750
C
RFA - 1
$4,950,000$4,950,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW
UFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
C
UFA - 1
$825,000$825,000
LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,850,000$7,850,000
LD
UFA - 4
$4,400,000$4,400,000
RD
RFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
UFA - 3
$2,250,000$2,250,000
LD
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
UFA - 2
$762,500$762,500
G
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$762,500$762,500
RW, C
RFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 5, 2023 at 10:13 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Are the Canucks expecting to make the playoffs next season?
Mar. 5, 2023 at 11:11 p.m.
2018 Canucks
For starters have to put more effort into it.

Next up there is the offseason that changes MUST happen if nothing else but to be compliant. Besides the 1m cap bump.

For the PO’s it’s why they play 82 games. In goal alone can be expected to be better. A weak division helps. The PK can only get better even if it sucks.
Mar. 5, 2023 at 11:38 p.m.
Quoting: MisstheWhalers
Are the Canucks expecting to make the playoffs next season?

There striving to be a playoff team next season. Can't see it working out for them..
MisstheWhalers liked this.
Mar. 5, 2023 at 11:45 p.m.
Quoting: Nighthawk
For starters have to put more effort into it.

Next up there is the offseason that changes MUST happen if nothing else but to be compliant. Besides the 1m cap bump.

For the PO’s it’s why they play 82 games. In goal alone can be expected to be better. A weak division helps. The PK can only get better even if it sucks.

I don't believe this issue will be solved with more effort. I would be shocked if management hasn't seeked out and explored all options for moving money and if it hasn't happened in over a years worth of trying I don't see it happening at all, unless they are willing to attach assets.
Mar. 6, 2023 at 1:06 a.m.
Avid Nucks fan
Quoting: Reason
I don't believe this issue will be solved with more effort. I would be shocked if management hasn't seeked out and explored all options for moving money and if it hasn't happened in over a years worth of trying I don't see it happening at all, unless they are willing to attach assets.

Things happen like Myers signing bonus giving him a value to cap floor teams (like Arizona) 6m cap hit for 1m is nothing but gold for them. Heck if we take a contract that can be buried in the minors they basically pay nothing for Myers.

Garland and Boeser have value are they overpaid probably slightly Boeser more so cause of his rough start to the year but his wrist injury has seemingly healed and I think he's starting to get over the psychological part of it. Similar to Peteys rough start to last season.
MisstheWhalers liked this.
Mar. 6, 2023 at 1:03 p.m.
How can they get into playoff contention next year?

First, better coaching with a full training camp.

Second, a strong, healthy season for Thatcher Demko with a full season from Silovs as his backup. They need Demko, and they need him healthy.

Third, a better blueline. Hronek is a good start.

And fourth, a deeper group of prospects pushing the NHL roster.

And things like a full healthy season from Mikheyev, a better PK, and a better start to the season will help. They never recovered from that 0-5-2 start, and don't underestimate the effect that had. They had to play must-win hockey from December on last season to get back into the playoff push. The start they had this year put them right back in that grind, and they didn't have the fight left in them to do it all over again.

We're not talking about Cup contention next season, that comes later. We're talking about being in the wild card hunt in the Pacific Division.

On another note, Allvin all but screamed that buy outs were coming in that press conference. They can clear cap space. In fact, they've already cleared enough space in the last year to extend Miller and add guys like Mikheyev, Beauvillier, Kuzmenko and Hronek. They clear space when they need it, they just fill that space right away. This market kills me sometimes. If they were 27th and were sitting on 10 or 12 million of open cap space, the media and the fans would be screaming and moaning about how they aren't spending to the cap to help the team win. Jesus wept.

For someone who has been in this for 5 decades, the last thing I want to see after 10 years of losing is another 5 years of bottom feeding. Those of you who joined the party during the West Coast Express run don't fully appreciate just how bad this organization has been. I've seen enough losing, thanks very much. They are taking this future HOF core of Pettersson, Hughes and Demko and retooling around it whether you like it or not, and it suits some of us just fine. You can stop whining and get on board with it, or you can keep being miserable. YOU CHOOSE!
Mar. 6, 2023 at 7:41 p.m.
Quoting: CM_Insane
Things happen like Myers signing bonus giving him a value to cap floor teams (like Arizona) 6m cap hit for 1m is nothing but gold for them. Heck if we take a contract that can be buried in the minors they basically pay nothing for Myers.

Garland and Boeser have value are they overpaid probably slightly Boeser more so cause of his rough start to the year but his wrist injury has seemingly healed and I think he's starting to get over the psychological part of it. Similar to Peteys rough start to last season.

I agree that Myers likely wont cost much to move but teams know Vancouver is already over the cap for next season and I could very well see teams leveraging that to their advantage.
I don't believe Garland or Boeser currently have any positive value at their current cap hit. The team has been trying to move them for over a year even giving Boeser's agent authorization to try and find a trading partner, unfortunately it likely costs to move them.
Mar. 6, 2023 at 8:26 p.m.
Avid Nucks fan
Quoting: Reason
I agree that Myers likely wont cost much to move but teams know Vancouver is already over the cap for next season and I could very well see teams leveraging that to their advantage.
I don't believe Garland or Boeser currently have any positive value at their current cap hit. The team has been trying to move them for over a year even giving Boeser's agent authorization to try and find a trading partner, unfortunately it likely costs to move them.

The from all the reports I believe the biggest hold up has been allvin not wanting to do max retention. I do think a package in the off-season around either Boeser or Garland with either Rathbone and or Hoglander can get us the next Defenceman that nearly completes the Defense overhaul.
Mar. 6, 2023 at 8:30 p.m.
Edited Mar. 7, 2023 at 12:54 a.m.
Quoting: gordfish
How can they get into playoff contention next year?

First, better coaching with a full training camp.

Second, a strong, healthy season for Thatcher Demko with a full season from Silovs as his backup. They need Demko, and they need him healthy.

Third, a better blueline. Hronek is a good start.

And fourth, a deeper group of prospects pushing the NHL roster.

And things like a full healthy season from Mikheyev, a better PK, and a better start to the season will help. They never recovered from that 0-5-2 start, and don't underestimate the effect that had. They had to play must-win hockey from December on last season to get back into the playoff push. The start they had this year put them right back in that grind, and they didn't have the fight left in them to do it all over again.

You make this sound like it’s a one off, this team hasent played meaningful games past Christmas in years.

We're not talking about Cup contention next season, that comes later. We're talking about being in the wild card hunt in the Pacific Division.

If the team continues to try and “retool” the way they have been over the last decade there won’t be a cup for a long long time.

On another note, Allvin all but screamed that buy outs were coming in that press conference. They can clear cap space. In fact, they've already cleared enough space in the last year to extend Miller and add guys like Mikheyev, Beauvillier, Kuzmenko and Hronek. They clear space when they need it, they just fill that space right away. This market kills me sometimes. If they were 27th and were sitting on 10 or 12 million of open cap space, the media and the fans would be screaming and moaning about how they aren't spending to the cap to help the team win. Jesus wept.

I think the majority of fans would embrace a rebuild at this point. If the team had of rebuilt when they should have 8ish years ago they would have been completely rebuilt and likely contending now.

For someone who has been in this for 5 decades, the last thing I want to see after 10 years of losing is another 5 years of bottom feeding. Those of you who joined the party during the West Coast Express run don't fully appreciate just how bad this organization has been. I've seen enough losing, thanks very much. They are taking this future HOF core of Pettersson, Hughes and Demko and retooling around it whether you like it or not, and it suits some of us just fine. You can stop whining and get on board with it, or you can keep being miserable. YOU CHOOSE!

If there’s one thing worse than a whiner it’s someone who’s entitled... If making the playoffs once in the last 8 years, and that was the strange bubble year where the team was tanking before the season ended early, floats your boat then props to ya gramps.
There’s a saying out there that the most successful people in life are those that are able to delay self gratification. I don’t think that's always applicable in sports, but I do think if this tire fire of a franchise followed that sentiment for even a few years they could turn this team around in half the time they have wasted trying to take short cuts and going absolutely no where with them. There’s also a saying in life that goes, “Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results”, maybe it’s time this franchise changed their approach and stop with their attempted and unsuccessful short cuts.
Mar. 6, 2023 at 9:14 p.m.
The from all the reports I believe the biggest hold up has been allvin not wanting to do max retention. I do think a package in the off-season around either Boeser or Garland with either Rathbone and or Hoglander can get us the next Defenceman that nearly completes the Defense overhaul.

Oh ya I mean those players are definitely moveable, it just depends on what you are willing to give up but I think it's going to cost assets whether they be players, picks, or retention.
Another top 4 D would go along ways and I don't think a winger is going to return one personally, unless they are on bad contract.
Mar. 7, 2023 at 1:57 a.m.

Here’s the problem with Myers. He has a 10 team NTC. All the teams that need to get to the cap floor are rebuilders and likely would be on his NTC. Not to mention they’d still have to pay to move him to those teams. They aren’t just gonna help the Canucks for free lol.
As for Garland and Boeser, if they have value it is minuscule and being the fact the bucks are in cap hell, no team likely helps them out by paying for them. And again, the teams that may be interested don’t have to cap space. And rebuilders just won’t pay for them at all.
Reason liked this.
Mar. 7, 2023 at 5:49 a.m.
Avid Nucks fan
Quoting: Hockeyfan1234
Here’s the problem with Myers. He has a 10 team NTC. All the teams that need to get to the cap floor are rebuilders and likely would be on his NTC. Not to mention they’d still have to pay to move him to those teams. They aren’t just gonna help the Canucks for free lol.
As for Garland and Boeser, if they have value it is minuscule and being the fact the bucks are in cap hell, no team likely helps them out by paying for them. And again, the teams that may be interested don’t have to cap space. And rebuilders just won’t pay for them at all.

That's an assumption that Myers only wants to play with contenders. Just like I'm assuming he doesn't want to be too far from Kelowna so I don't think Arizona is on his NTC list. And if Arizona is it does complicate things.

If Boeser has miniscule value keep him and Miller on the 2nd line for now then they are not paying to get rid of them would be stupid. Garland someone will take and probably cab find a way to do contract in and out for him and or adding Hoglander and/or Rathbone to balance value in a deal.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll