Blues 2023-24 fix the defense and retool or I die

Created by: salami_investor
Team: 2023-24 St. Louis Blues
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 22, 2023
Published: Mar. 22, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
1ST SCENARIO:

Kind of an ideal situation for the blues here based off of being trapped by 5 defensemen with nmc’s.

Perunovich needs play time, Tucker needs play time.

One of Krug, Leddy or Parayko need to go before the season starts. Plus they should either rid of Scandella at the beginning of the season or wait for a better draft pick at the deadline.

Ideally the blues find a team for Krug. I listed LA on here. Obviously I feel this will only work if the kings:
1 get Vilardi + important rfas resigned
2 Pay a goaltender (maybe Copley performs in the playoffs and they only need to sign a 1b goalie backup?)
3 Do not choose to sign/miss out on signing any D-man (there are a lot lmao)

1st round pick makes sense if its later in free agency and kings have the space. Andersson in there for change of scenery but my guess is he is released by kings anyways.

This is Ideal for blues side. But as a blues fan, Id be happy with a 2025 3rd and one of Kupari or JAD, or a 2nd and Grundstrom. Or literally anything at all tbh, feeling claustrophobic looking at all those contracts.

Due to all the nmc’s, Blues cannot just dump a defensemen wherever unfortunately, and I am sure any player would waive their clauses to play in LA.

Blues sign tatar for a year (if they can trade a defenseman).

Sunny is back (hell yeah)

Blues resign all their rfa’s.

2nd SCENARIO:

If blues cannot rid of a D contract:
- I die
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$950,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$850,000
1$850,000
1$850,000
2$950,000
1$950,000
1$950,000
2$850,000
1$800,000
1$850,000
1$850,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$4,500,000
2$2,500,000
Trades
STL
  1. Andersson, Lias [RFA Rights]
  2. 2024 1st round pick (LAK)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the STL
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the STL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$82,500,000$80,968,333$20,000$0$1,531,667

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the St. Louis Blues
$2,625,000$2,625,000
LW
UFA - 1
$5,800,000$5,800,000
LW, RW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$835,833$835,833
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$8,125,000$8,125,000
C, RW
UFA - 8
$8,125,000$8,125,000
RW
UFA - 8
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
NTC
UFA - 3
$6,500,000$6,500,000
C, LW
NTC
UFA - 5
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 1
$950,000$950,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LW
UFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
C, LW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$950,000$950,000
LD
RFA - 1
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 4
$6,000,000$6,000,000
G
NTC
UFA - 4
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 3
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 7
$775,000$775,000
G
RFA - 2
$950,000$950,000
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$950,000$950,000
RD
UFA - 1
$3,275,000$3,275,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 22, 2023 at 8:29 p.m.
Krug isn't worth a 1st round pick with his full cap hit. If St. Louis retains like $1.25M then maybe they'd do it.

I'd bet that LA is going to look at a LHD with size though. The last thing they need is another undersized defenseman.
salami_investor liked this.
Mar. 22, 2023 at 8:38 p.m.
I think the Blues are stuck with that defence. I don't know if there will be much interest let alone the players approve a move to that team.
salami_investor and OldNYIfan liked this.
Mar. 22, 2023 at 8:40 p.m.
Haven’t been mad at doug armstrong for anything besides these damn nmcs
OldNYIfan liked this.
Mar. 22, 2023 at 8:43 p.m.
Quoting: tkecanuck341
Krug isn't worth a 1st round pick with his full cap hit. If St. Louis retains like $1.25M then maybe they'd do it.

I'd bet that LA is going to look at a LHD with size though. The last thing they need is another undersized defenseman.

I agree, and ryan graves will be a free agent. And he fits LA’s needs better
OldNYIfan liked this.
Mar. 22, 2023 at 8:45 p.m.
Quoting: Lancebmx
I think the Blues are stuck with that defence. I don't know if there will be much interest let alone the players approve a move to that team.

Maybe wherever bedard goes will open some of their opinions
Mar. 22, 2023 at 8:48 p.m.
Quoting: salami_investor
Maybe wherever bedard goes will open some of their opinions

I don't disagree, never know what they want to do. There is also the process of moving the contracts. Krug's, Leddy's and Faulk's would be extremely difficult to move. Parayko probably easier.
salami_investor and OldNYIfan liked this.
Mar. 22, 2023 at 8:50 p.m.
mokumboi
Bro, if they can move Krug, they will spend that cap on a new top 4 LD, which is convenient because there will be loads available this summer. They will not go spend it one year of a meh winger.
Mar. 22, 2023 at 8:59 p.m.
Quoting: mokumboi
Bro, if they can move Krug, they will spend that cap on a new top 4 LD, which is convenient because there will be loads available this summer. They will not go spend it one year of a meh winger.

Doug Armstrong said he is not buying in free agency. The last thing he wants is to get a defensemen. Again, we want to give tucker and perunovich an opportunity. He said during a press conference that the goal for 2023/24 is to find a top 9 winger, and that is it. I chose tatar due to being a cheaper fit, and if the blues are fringe again, we can trade his contract for picks
Mar. 22, 2023 at 9:20 p.m.
mokumboi
Quoting: salami_investor
Doug Armstrong said he is not buying in free agency.

The last thing he wants is to get a defensemen.

Again, we want to give tucker and perunovich an opportunity.

He said during a press conference that the goal for 2023/24 is to find a top 9 winger, and that is it.

I chose tatar due to being a cheaper fit, and if the blues are fringe again, we can trade his contract for picks

1 - Heh. Do you really think Army is going to lay out his strategy in interviews? He likes to work in shadows. If he tells what he's gonna do (beyond the glaringly obvious), he's probably not necessarily gonna do that thing. Besides, it's hardly a good negotiating ploy to announce you are shopping for such and such.

2 - No clue how you got that idea. He has been trying to move a D-man so he can get a more suitable D-man.

3 - Neither of those players is capable of playing top pairing minutes (in quality AND volume) next to Parayko, which is what the team needs desperately more than anything. Actually, more than everything else combined. And Scotty hasn't even played NHL hockey in nearly a year, so I would not expect so much from him just yet.

4 - Huh? When was that? Last time I heard, he said this...

“I think we’re going to be looking ideally at a centerman, but if we have to get creative, we can,” Armstrong said.

Because, ya know, they just traded their 2nd and 3rd and 4th line centers. The Blues have wingers falling out of their ears. Why do you think Chief is testing out Buch at center?

5 - If we waste that cap space on Tatar instead of a D-man, then we will definitely be fringe and selling off again at the TDL. I'm gonna pass on that one, thanks. smile
Mar. 22, 2023 at 9:38 p.m.
1 - Heh. Do you really think Army is going to lay out his strategy in interviews? He likes to work in shadows. If he tells what he's gonna do (beyond the glaringly obvious), he's probably not necessarily gonna do that thing. Besides, it's hardly a good negotiating ploy to announce you are shopping for such and such.

2 - No clue how you got that idea. He has been trying to move a D-man so he can get a more suitable D-man.

3 - Neither of those players is capable of playing top pairing minutes (in quality AND volume) next to Parayko, which is what the team needs desperately more than anything. Actually, more than everything else combined. And Scotty hasn't even played NHL hockey in nearly a year, so I would not expect so much from him just yet.

“I think we’re going to be looking ideally at a centerman, but if we have to get creative, we can,” Armstrong said.

Because, ya know, they just traded their 2nd and 3rd and 4th line centers. The Blues have wingers falling out of their ears. Why do you think Chief is testing out Buch at center?

5 - If we waste that cap space on Tatar instead of a D-man, then we will definitely be fringe and selling off again at the TDL. I'm gonna pass on that one, thanks. smile

Don’t love the Tatar signing. Don’t hate it with it only being one year.

I don’t see why there is such a strong push to get Perunovich playing time, pretty sure he has another season where he is free of waivers. If Krug were moved though, I would love to see him on the 3rd pair running the PP because I don’t think any of our other defensemen are capable of doing so.
Mar. 22, 2023 at 9:43 p.m.
mokumboi
Quoting: AC14
Don’t love the Tatar signing. Don’t hate it with it only being one year.

I don’t see why there is such a strong push to get Perunovich playing time, pretty sure he has another season where he is free of waivers. If Krug were moved though, I would love to see him on the 3rd pair running the PP because I don’t think any of our other defensemen are capable of doing so.

Faulk and Parayko both can run a PP just fine.
OldNYIfan and salami_investor liked this.
Mar. 22, 2023 at 10:01 p.m.
Faulk and Parayko both can run a PP just fine.

Both are mainly shooters not QBs. Parayko on the PP doesn't really work we've seen
Mar. 23, 2023 at 1:17 a.m.
mokumboi
Quoting: AC14
Both are mainly shooters not QBs. Parayko on the PP doesn't really work we've seen

Actually, that's not the case. Parayko’s on-ice PP goals for rate is right in line with both Petro and Krug, and better than Dunn's. Faulk's rate is solid even though its about 40% lower than that top trio because he's also the one who has spent nearly all his PP time with the second unit. The others have all had majority top unit time out of their minutes, with Petro and Krug almost exclusively PP1. In Faulk's rare PP1 time, his rate is near Dunn's.
Mar. 23, 2023 at 1:01 p.m.

I understand some of your comments here, especially the last one, but as the title of this armchair gm suggests, I am looking at a retool. If the blues wanted a playoff push, yes I agree, a center would make the most sense, but the blues cannot afford to lock up another older player long term right now.

The way we are stuck with 4 defensemen for at least 3 more years with nmcs, with all of them being in their mid/late thirties when contracts expire, I can see too many issues arrising.

I want the blues to win as much as the next fan, but I just feel if some changes aren’t made, fringe then bottom of the league will come before fringe then playoff bound. But who knows.

And after the deadline was over, during that interview, army said he doesn't plan on spending in free agency this offseason, and he is looking for someone in the top 9 next season.

It seems he wants it to come from someone internally, like blais/torpo/prospects, but, again, I chose tatar so that if blues are worse than I thought, tatar becomes a trade asset. There may be better options earlier in free agency, but that choice was made due to the idea that the krug trade happens late free agency.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll