Forums/Mock-Draft

Updated top-15 prediction no lottery jumps

Updated top-15 prediction no lottery jumps

Draft Class: 2023
Created By: DH28Hockey
Published: Apr. 7, 2023 at 11:50 a.m.
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-Obvious....
2Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-Columbus goes Center here and I think Fantilli will be the preference for most teams
3Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-Chicago is willing to wait awhile and takes the 2nd best talent in the draft
4Logo of the San Jose Sharks-Stylistically, I could see San Jose taking Carlsson over Fantilli anyways, so this works out great for them
5Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-Montreal adds a player who's a stylistic fit and fits in great with Slafkovsky and Mesar
6Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-After watching Geekie play for Winnipeg all year, how could they not take this kid
7Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-Philly needs pure offensive upside, they love USNDPT players and Smith will be playing with Gauthier at BC next year
8Logo of the Vancouver Canucks-Vancouver starts out a retool by adding a guy who would be a great fit with Hughes
9Logo of the Washington Capitals-Washington has always been comfortable taking big swings with Russians, that doesn't change with this pick
10Logo of the St. Louis Blues-St.Louis looks to add their Tarasenko replacement immediately
11Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-Detroit with one of the biggest steals in the 1st round, drafting a Larkin comp to play with Larkin can only be good for his development
12Logo of the Arizona CoyotesLogo of the Ottawa SenatorsArizona goes for a high upside swing at a position their currently weak at in their prospect pool
13Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-No need for Buffalo to do anything other than huge upside swings at this point, hence they go Sale
14Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins-If Danielson is on the board, I am 99% positive this is who Hextall will take
15Logo of the Nashville Predators-Nashville starts out a new era by drafting a guy with 1C upside. Most underrated player in the 1st round of this draft by far
16Logo of the Detroit Red WingsLogo of the New York IslandersDetroit has enough of an abundance of young talent that they can be the team to take the swing on Cristall's upside
17Logo of the Montreal CanadiensLogo of the Florida PanthersI think ideally Montreal would like to go RHD here
18Logo of the Calgary Flames-I'll be honest, Calgary is one of the few teams that I have no clue what their approach will be, hence why I just went BPA
19Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-I'd imagine Winnipeg would like to go Center here, they grab a somewhat underrated guy in Ritchie
20Logo of the Seattle Kraken-Another enormous steal, Seattle adds a top line winger to their prospect pool
21Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Tampa Bay LightningThis is around the point where I know less about most of the prospects so the explanations will be a bit more sparse... I think Chicago goes with another big upside swing here though
22Logo of the Minnesota Wild-I think Minnesota goes with anyone they deem as a possible fit as a top-6 Center, Yager could fit that bill
23Logo of the New York RangersLogo of the Dallas StarsNY adds a great supporting winger who isn't far from NHL ready
24Logo of the Colorado Avalanche-Colorado goes for best forward available, regardless of style or fit. I think that's Brindley
25Logo of the Columbus Blue JacketsLogo of the Los Angeles KingsColumbus goes LHD here with a player from a country that's historically had great success developing defenseman
26Logo of the St. Louis BluesLogo of the Toronto Maple LeafsSt.Louis goes high upside forward again with this pick
27Logo of the Nashville PredatorsLogo of the Edmonton OilersNashville adds a guy with a high floor who can help down the middle
28Logo of the St. Louis BluesLogo of the New York RangersBasically, I think St.Louis significantly restocks the offense this draft, grabbing 3 big forwards
29Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights-Very similar situation to Colorado's pick
30Logo of the San Jose SharksLogo of the New Jersey DevilsI think a high upside defenseman is the right call for San Jose here
31Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes-A defenseman who slipped a bit further than maybe they deserved to is right up Carolina's alley
32Logo of the Toronto Maple LeafsLogo of the Boston BruinsLastly, Toronto grabs a guy who could fill a middle six Center role sooner rather than later
Apr. 7, 2023 at 12:23 p.m.
mokumboi
Barlow would be nice to have, but the Blues would almost certainly grab Moore here. Maybe Danielson. They absolutely will NOT be taking three wingers. It's quite possible they don't take any with their three 1sts.
Apr. 7, 2023 at 12:28 p.m.
Bedard23
I’ll accept the Gulyayev pick but I’ve said this trillions of times now

I’m 100% opposed to Chicago taking Michkov
Apr. 7, 2023 at 1:26 p.m.
Quoting: mokumboi
Barlow would be nice to have, but the Blues would almost certainly grab Moore here. Maybe Danielson. They absolutely will NOT be taking three wingers. It's quite possible they don't take any with their three 1sts.

Yeah swapping Moore and Barlow was like the one thing I thought of in hindsight (I think Detroit would take Barlow with 11 if St.Louis took Moore as well). Have a hard time seeing St.Louis taking Danielson though.

Maybe Stramel over one of Musty/But, although I think St.Louis is going to just take BPA every chance they get. I think they have a strong enough foundation that there isn't a need to focus in on certain styles or positions (maybe they'd like to add a D, but I don't think any on the board later in the draft are a good fit)
Apr. 7, 2023 at 1:27 p.m.
Quoting: IconicHawk
I’ll accept the Gulyayev pick but I’ve said this trillions of times now

I’m 100% opposed to Chicago taking Michkov

I get the concern. My opinion is that there's a sizable enough gap between him and Carlsson that the additional risk is worth it, but I definitely think some teams wouldn't agree
Apr. 7, 2023 at 1:59 p.m.
mokumboi
Quoting: DH28Hockey
Yeah swapping Moore and Barlow was like the one thing I thought of in hindsight (I think Detroit would take Barlow with 11 if St.Louis took Moore as well). Have a hard time seeing St.Louis taking Danielson though.

Maybe Stramel over one of Musty/But, although I think St.Louis is going to just take BPA every chance they get. I think they have a strong enough foundation that there isn't a need to focus in on certain styles or positions (maybe they'd like to add a D, but I don't think any on the board later in the draft are a good fit)

Sorry, none of this is accurate. They absolutely do need Cs and Ds, have wingers and goalies falling out of their ears already and there are several ywo-way LDs who would be excellent late 1st round picks this summer. They are not in all BPA territory.
Apr. 7, 2023 at 2:37 p.m.
Bedard23
I get the concern. My opinion is that there's a sizable enough gap between him and Carlsson that the additional risk is worth it, but I definitely think some teams wouldn't agree

My main issue isn’t the fact he’s Russian but he just doesn’t fill any need
Apr. 7, 2023 at 3:04 p.m.
SHL NJD GM
I would hope Montreal picks Benson/Smith over Dvorsky, they’re simply better, at 17, I do agree Montreal would want RD but Dragicevic is a reach so Wood/Leonard/Yager would be my pick
DH28Hockey liked this.
Apr. 7, 2023 at 8:47 p.m.
Quoting: IconicHawk
My main issue isn’t the fact he’s Russian but he just doesn’t fill any need

I'll be honest: that POV I don't get at all. The need that he fills is being a top-5 prospect on the planet. I don't think it makes sense to argue that you don't need a guy who's better than every player in the organization, even if the Hawks are deep at RW.

If they're going to be rebuilding long term, there will probably be another chance down the line to grab a Center as good as Carlsson. I don't see them having the chance to get a winger as good as Michkov again
Apr. 7, 2023 at 8:48 p.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
I would hope Montreal picks Benson/Smith over Dvorsky, they’re simply better, at 17, I do agree Montreal would want RD but Dragicevic is a reach so Wood/Leonard/Yager would be my pick

I agree with that for the most part. I considered Leonard for that pick
Apr. 7, 2023 at 9:01 p.m.
Quoting: mokumboi
Sorry, none of this is accurate. They absolutely do need Cs and Ds, have wingers and goalies falling out of their ears already and there are several ywo-way LDs who would be excellent late 1st round picks this summer. They are not in all BPA territory.

I never said they don't need those things, I said they're more likely to go BPA and that I can't see them reaching on a Center or Defenseman based on their position, which they'd probably have to do with the later of their 2 1sts. Best value with those picks will most likely be for wingers, if they find a Center or Defenseman they like then I'm sure they'd take them instead, but I struggle to see who that will be from what I've currently seen from this draft class
Apr. 8, 2023 at 4:19 a.m.
mokumboi
I never said they don't need those things, I said they're more likely to go BPA and that I can't see them reaching on a Center or Defenseman based on their position, which they'd probably have to do with the later of their 2 1sts. Best value with those picks will most likely be for wingers, if they find a Center or Defenseman they like then I'm sure they'd take them instead, but I struggle to see who that will be from what I've currently seen from this draft class

There are loads of defensemen that are nice value as a late 1st. The centers they'll just have to pick their spot to take one, high or low. Any way you slice it, they aren't going to BPA a bunch of wingers. Makes no sense at all. If they need to trade up or down a few spots, they'll do it to get what they specifically want.
Apr. 8, 2023 at 9:16 a.m.
Bedard23
I'll be honest: that POV I don't get at all. The need that he fills is being a top-5 prospect on the planet. I don't think it makes sense to argue that you don't need a guy who's better than every player in the organization, even if the Hawks are deep at RW.

If they're going to be rebuilding long term, there will probably be another chance down the line to grab a Center as good as Carlsson. I don't see them having the chance to get a winger as good as Michkov again

Centre is 2 Trillion% more needed then a winger ever could be for us

Hell our defence is more of a need
Apr. 10, 2023 at 10:06 a.m.
Exhausted Ranger Fan
100% think the rangers take Heidt or Perreault if available

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll