Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$900,000$900,000
LD/RD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$800,000$800,000
RD
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
C, LW
RFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 13, 2023 at 11:24 a.m.
Pens are better
I keep seeing reports saying that were leaning towards firing Hextall and making office changes. I hope those are true but Idk those sites so
Pensman69 liked this.
Apr. 13, 2023 at 11:25 a.m.
spoiled penguins fan
Quoting: Imagine874859
I keep seeing reports saying that were leaning towards firing Hextall and making office changes. I hope those are true but Idk those sites so

Hoping so. Praying so.

Aside from that, thoughts on this lineup and team?
Apr. 13, 2023 at 11:32 a.m.
Hurricane Waddell
I think the Canes could target Jake, but not for Morrow++

If that move that level of assets in a move, they will want someone younger and team controlled.
Apr. 13, 2023 at 11:33 a.m.
HabsFanSinceThe60s
Why overpay Pacioretty and Hathaway?
Apr. 13, 2023 at 11:34 a.m.
spoiled penguins fan
Quoting: Caniac555
I think the Canes could target Jake, but not for Morrow++

If that move that level of assets in a move, they will want someone younger and team controlled.

Then I’m not sure you guys would get Guentzel. Unless instead of Morrow you make that another first. With how dry our prospect pool is if we were to realistically trade Jake, you would have to think we would be targeting *said team’s* best prospect(s) in the trade
Apr. 13, 2023 at 11:36 a.m.
Future Norris guy
Casey DeSmith is hot trash, Detroit already lit him up for 11 goals this year. You're not getting no 3rd round pick for him.
Apr. 13, 2023 at 11:37 a.m.
spoiled penguins fan
Quoting: HabsFan61
Why overpay Pacioretty and Hathaway?

Pacioretty can probably be signed less. Whole point of that contract is a prove it deal which he signs in Pittsburgh to come play on a top 6 with 2 hall of fame centers to get his numbers back up.

Hathaway we can afford in this case, assuming there is a bidding war and we need a 3RW he could fit those terms.

Both contracts we can pay less but point is, we can afford them.
Apr. 13, 2023 at 11:37 a.m.
spoiled penguins fan
Quoting: HockeyIsMyPassion61
Casey DeSmith is hot trash, Detroit already lit him up for 11 goals this year. You're not getting no 3rd round pick for him.

Solid 1B, on a $1.8m contract. I think you may be somewhat wrong. If we made him available, I can most likely assure you he’d be dealt for a pick.
Imagine874859 liked this.
Apr. 13, 2023 at 11:48 a.m.
Wiz
Do you firmly believe players like Pacioretty and Boeser make the pens harder to play against? Hathaway and Gavrikov would be excellent to pick up but I also think you've overpaid them. Pens need players with speed, youth, and relentless forecheck in the bottom 6. Offloading Granlund and Carter is a dream come true.
Apr. 13, 2023 at 11:52 a.m.
Quoting: Pensman69
Solid 1B, on a $1.8m contract. I think you may be somewhat wrong. If we made him available, I can most likely assure you he’d be dealt for a pick.

It would take a sweetener to dump DeSmith. He’s a dime a dozen 2/3, not close to a 1B, lol. No need to waste an asset to get a goalie of his mediocre talents. I doubt he’d be claimed on waivers, burying him is the Pens best bet.

Otherwise, Vancouver declines, and quickly. If you still had Matheson, I could see them pairing Math with Poulin for Boeser. But Pettersson and dropping two rounds? Zero percent chance. You’re really overvaluing Petts. Montreal didn’t even want him and that was to dump Petry, they turned down both Petts & Blueger for Petry & Poehling, and insisted on Matheson and a pick.

Just unrealistic.
Apr. 13, 2023 at 11:54 a.m.
spoiled penguins fan
Quoting: Wiz
Do you firmly believe players like Pacioretty and Boeser make the pens harder to play against? Hathaway and Gavrikov would be excellent to pick up but I also think you've overpaid them. Pens need players with speed, youth, and relentless forecheck in the bottom 6. Offloading Granlund and Carter is a dream come true.

Firmly believe, maybe? But better than some other options considering the future? Yes.

Hathaway and Gavrikov contracts can be signed for less if that’s really the highlight of this acgm. But the point is that the money is there for us to sign them and we can very well do it.

And I agree with you on the last part of needing speed and youth with the forecheck aspect but getting rid of Granlund is highly unlikely I’d assume and for Carter we would have to pay to dump him most likely and he has 1 year left so they very well may just stick it out and have him retire out that contract.
Apr. 13, 2023 at 11:58 a.m.
spoiled penguins fan
Quoting: HulkVader
It would take a sweetener to dump DeSmith. He’s a dime a dozen 2/3, not close to a 1B, lol. No need to waste an asset to get a goalie of his mediocre talents. I doubt he’d be claimed on waivers, burying him is the Pens best bet.

Otherwise, Vancouver declines, and quickly. If you still had Matheson, I could see them pairing Math with Poulin for Boeser. But Pettersson and dropping two rounds? Zero percent chance. You’re really overvaluing Petts. Montreal didn’t even want him and that was to dump Petry, they turned down both Petts & Blueger for Petry & Poehling, and insisted on Matheson and a pick.

Just unrealistic.

Solid backup** though we could probably toss in a prospect of some level and that would seal it.

And that was before Petts had the season he’s had minus the games missed. He increased his value if anything and it seems that the Canucks and Pens have had constant talks throughout the season on a deal involving a scoring winger. Whether it’s Garland or Boeser who knows but the mutual interest is both there. Both sides could make it work with an offseason at hand to figure things out.
Apr. 13, 2023 at 12:01 p.m.
Canes pass. We wouldnt re-sign Guentzel due to age so the price won’t be worth it
Apr. 13, 2023 at 12:02 p.m.
Pens are better
Hoping so. Praying so.

Aside from that, thoughts on this lineup and team?

On paper is doesnt look bad, but one ice I think it could be a problem. I know you tried to keep it as realistic as possible (keeping Petry, Carter, Granlund). Pacioretty is a no go for me. Always injured and just another old top 6 forward (not a bad player but we need to get some youth in). Gavrikov is a good player I do like him, but I'd rather have Pettersson. I think one defenseman we should definitely look into signing is Graves. Such a good defensive defenseman and would be a really good and better replacement for Dumo. Boeser I like and Vancouver would probably want Pettersson, however Pettersson has been really good for us. I personally think we should bring Zucker back on a 4 × 4 or something around there. He had to most drive and energy on this team. Poulin has to make the team (or at least start on the opening night roster). If were not going to play him then we might as well trade him. Hathaway is another guy i like but I think we can find someone cheaper and better. A lot of this stuff is difficult considering we cant really move any of Carter, Granlund, or Petry but maybe someone would be willing to take them. I could see Buffalo or Minnesota (if both Dumba and Klingberg leave) being interested in Petry. With cheaper options available in FA, that might be different.

So heres what I'd personally do:

First off whoever is the new gm has to find a way to trade one of Carter or Petry. Carter may retire so itd be easier to trade his contract because well hed be gone. I'd say at least a 3rd to move it. If we do that that gives us an extra 3 mil. Again I like all the options you made, just not the ages I would go for.

O'Connor either will be a 13th forward or 4th liner. Poehling 4th line center is perfect. Poulin 3rd line LW to start. Nylander probably a scratch, 4th line, or traded/not signed. I'm not completely against keeping Granlund and seeing if he can bounce back. Hed be 3rd line RW or C. If were trying to stay competitive then I dont think Guentzel will be traded. I dont think we will rebuild but it depends on how the new gm feels about Sid, Geno, and Tanger and going for another cup with them.

Like I said way above I think Graves is a perfect defenseman to sign. I'd offer him anywhere in between 5-5.75 mil at 5 years. Not sure where this puts us cap wise but I'll do an ACGM about it later. Resign Zucker. Resign Jarry (same as what you did). Hill isnt bad, but again I think there is cheaper options than him (or we just keep Desmith). So if we keep the same top 6, which wasnt the problem for us this year, itd look like this:

Guentzel - Crosby - Rakell
Zucker - Malkin - Rust
Poulin - ??? - Granlund
Poehling - ??? - ???

Graves - Letang
Pettersson - Petry
POJ - Rutta

I know I said Poehling as 4th line center, but hed be able to use more of his speed on the wing. Heres a thought for the defense. Let's say we trade Petry somehow. One Columbus fan mentioned a deal that could work between POJ and Bodqvist. I'm not sure would would add, but I like Bodqvist and it would give Smith that 3rd pairing role. Bodqvist had almost the same points as POJ, but in 40 somethin games.

For 3rd and 4th line options I could see these guys being options:

D. Kampf
F. Gaudreau
N. Bonino
R. Donato
I. Barbashev
J. Archibald
M. Geekie (I really like him, maybe we can acquire his RFA rights)
A. Athanasiou
M. Domi
P. Engvall
M. Johansson
T. Motte
E. Rodrigues
C. Sheary
O. Sundqvist
P. Suter
M. Wood

Sorry for the novel lol.
Pensman69 liked this.
Apr. 13, 2023 at 12:03 p.m.
Quoting: HockeyIsMyPassion61

Idk if he's hot because I'm not into dudes but a goalie with a .912 save% over 5 years isn't trash. Bringing up 2 games is irrelevant
Pensman69 and Imagine874859 liked this.
Apr. 13, 2023 at 12:04 p.m.

Just unrealistic.

Goalies with a .912 save% over 5 years aren't a dime a dozen. He's very much a 1B. Why would you bury him lol
Pensman69 and Imagine874859 liked this.
Apr. 13, 2023 at 12:06 p.m.
spoiled penguins fan
Quoting: JSEB93
Goalies with a .912 save% over 5 years aren't a dime a dozen. He's very much a 1B. Why would you bury him lol

Agreed, if he were made available I don’t think we would have any problems trading him.
Imagine874859 and JSEB93 liked this.
Apr. 13, 2023 at 12:06 p.m.
Pens are better

Just unrealistic.

Pettersson is worth more than Boeser at this point. Boeser has not been good defensively whatsoever and is making close to 7 mil. Pettersson has been our best defenseman this year and probably top 5 in the league. Hes really underrated and had a really food year. Hes much better than Chariot (who got a 1st) and was better than Gavrikov (who got a 1st). We arent overvaluing Pettersson.
Pensman69 liked this.
Apr. 13, 2023 at 12:13 p.m.
spoiled penguins fan
On paper is doesnt look bad, but one ice I think it could be a problem. I know you tried to keep it as realistic as possible (keeping Petry, Carter, Granlund). Pacioretty is a no go for me. Always injured and just another old top 6 forward (not a bad player but we need to get some youth in). Gavrikov is a good player I do like him, but I'd rather have Pettersson. I think one defenseman we should definitely look into signing is Graves. Such a good defensive defenseman and would be a really good and better replacement for Dumo. Boeser I like and Vancouver would probably want Pettersson, however Pettersson has been really good for us. I personally think we should bring Zucker back on a 4 × 4 or something around there. He had to most drive and energy on this team. Poulin has to make the team (or at least start on the opening night roster). If were not going to play him then we might as well trade him. Hathaway is another guy i like but I think we can find someone cheaper and better. A lot of this stuff is difficult considering we cant really move any of Carter, Granlund, or Petry but maybe someone would be willing to take them. I could see Buffalo or Minnesota (if both Dumba and Klingberg leave) being interested in Petry. With cheaper options available in FA, that might be different.

So heres what I'd personally do:

First off whoever is the new gm has to find a way to trade one of Carter or Petry. Carter may retire so itd be easier to trade his contract because well hed be gone. I'd say at least a 3rd to move it. If we do that that gives us an extra 3 mil. Again I like all the options you made, just not the ages I would go for.

O'Connor either will be a 13th forward or 4th liner. Poehling 4th line center is perfect. Poulin 3rd line LW to start. Nylander probably a scratch, 4th line, or traded/not signed. I'm not completely against keeping Granlund and seeing if he can bounce back. Hed be 3rd line RW or C. If were trying to stay competitive then I dont think Guentzel will be traded. I dont think we will rebuild but it depends on how the new gm feels about Sid, Geno, and Tanger and going for another cup with them.

Like I said way above I think Graves is a perfect defenseman to sign. I'd offer him anywhere in between 5-5.75 mil at 5 years. Not sure where this puts us cap wise but I'll do an ACGM about it later. Resign Zucker. Resign Jarry (same as what you did). Hill isnt bad, but again I think there is cheaper options than him (or we just keep Desmith). So if we keep the same top 6, which wasnt the problem for us this year, itd look like this:

Guentzel - Crosby - Rakell
Zucker - Malkin - Rust
Poulin - ??? - Granlund
Poehling - ??? - ???

Graves - Letang
Pettersson - Petry
POJ - Rutta

I know I said Poehling as 4th line center, but hed be able to use more of his speed on the wing. Heres a thought for the defense. Let's say we trade Petry somehow. One Columbus fan mentioned a deal that could work between POJ and Bodqvist. I'm not sure would would add, but I like Bodqvist and it would give Smith that 3rd pairing role. Bodqvist had almost the same points as POJ, but in 40 somethin games.

For 3rd and 4th line options I could see these guys being options:

D. Kampf
F. Gaudreau
N. Bonino
R. Donato
I. Barbashev
J. Archibald
M. Geekie (I really like him, maybe we can acquire his RFA rights)
A. Athanasiou
M. Domi
P. Engvall
M. Johansson
T. Motte
E. Rodrigues
C. Sheary
O. Sundqvist
P. Suter
M. Wood

Sorry for the novel lol.

Very valid points, I myself like Graves game as well I think he would be a very nice fit on that blue line but is a bit pricey. Depends on how things match out but I could very well see it happening.

Also I can see why on the Patches idea but my idea was that we sell Jake high and grab assets and at least start to build somewhat of a foundation for the future Pens while remaining competitive for cheaper with Jake’s replacement.

And from Patches standpoint, what better then to come back from injury, sign a prove it deal with the Pittsburgh Penguins and put up surefire points in a top 6 with 2 hall of fame centers from night to night. I think we could make it work and if it doesn’t then that’s fine too, considering he is only on a 1 year deal.

As far as Granlund, Carter, Petry; as much as I’d love for them to be gone I think it’s a tough situation to be in and the logistics just may not be there to move them and for teams to want to take them on. Though Carter is probably the easiest one considering he may be retiring and only has 1 year left on his deal.
Imagine874859 liked this.
Apr. 13, 2023 at 12:17 p.m.
Pens are better
Very valid points, I myself like Graves game as well I think he would be a very nice fit on that blue line but is a bit pricey. Depends on how things match out but I could very well see it happening.

Also I can see why on the Patches idea but my idea was that we sell Jake high and grab assets and at least start to build somewhat of a foundation for the future Pens while remaining competitive for cheaper with Jake’s replacement.

And from Patches standpoint, what better then to come back from injury, sign a prove it deal with the Pittsburgh Penguins and put up surefire points in a top 6 with 2 hall of fame centers from night to night. I think we could make it work and if it doesn’t then that’s fine too, considering he is only on a 1 year deal.

As far as Granlund, Carter, Petry; as much as I’d love for them to be gone I think it’s a tough situation to be in and the logistics just may not be there to move them and for teams to want to take them on. Though Carter is probably the easiest one considering he may be retiring and only has 1 year left on his deal.

Yeah I mean I love Patches. I think hed do well, but the injuries is what concerns me. I think he would take less too tbh. I understand trading Jake. Maybe we can find someone who is interested, and try and get a young forward who can maybe jump into the top 6 immediately. I cant really think of anyone atm, but like Morgan Frost would be an example player (not that philly would be interested in Guentzel).
Pensman69 liked this.
Apr. 13, 2023 at 12:19 p.m.
Quoting: JSEB93

Because his career .912sv% is based on either playing lights out or getting shelled. There’s no consistency with that player. In no way is he a 1B, lol.
Apr. 13, 2023 at 12:20 p.m.
Pettersson is worth more than Boeser at this point. Boeser has not been good defensively whatsoever and is making close to 7 mil. Pettersson has been our best defenseman this year and probably top 5 in the league. Hes really underrated and had a really food year. Hes much better than Chariot (who got a 1st) and was better than Gavrikov (who got a 1st). We arent overvaluing Pettersson.

Agree to disagree, zero percent chance that deal would get done.
Apr. 13, 2023 at 12:21 p.m.
Pens are better
Agree to disagree, zero percent chance that deal would get done.

Exactly... zero chance that the pens would do that
Apr. 13, 2023 at 12:22 p.m.
Solid backup** though we could probably toss in a prospect of some level and that would seal it.

Agree, a sweetener would be needed.
Apr. 13, 2023 at 12:25 p.m.
Exactly... zero chance that the pens would do that

Because Vancouver would say no. But you’re not overvaluing Pettersson when you say he’s top 5 in the league? Top 5 in the league…Delusional, lol.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll