Forums/Armchair-GM

Devils go realistically bold

Created by: feelgood77
Team: 2023-24 New Jersey Devils
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 26, 2023
Published: Apr. 26, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Here's my take on how I think the devils can and should handle this upcoming offseason. Their championship window has officially opened after this season I see them making some moves to cement themselves in the top echelon of contending teams.

--------------------------------------
RFA/Reserve List signings:
- Bratt 7.85 x 4: Fitzy wanted to sign Bratt for long term last offseason, but Bratt and his agent settled for a 1 year deal to kick it down the road. Given Fitzy wants Hughes to be the highest paid forward and that Bratt isn't afraid to go short term, I can see a shorter term deal that brings Bratt into UFA as only a 28 year old, especially since the salary cap is projected to go up by a lot in the coming years.

- Meier 8.15 x 8: Meier hasn't been as productive but I still see a long term deal getting done. Even though Meier could settle for the 10m QO, I think Fitzy sells him on staying here long term as a part of the Swiss Dynasty. Meier is also a bit older than Bratt, so I think the 8th year is significant.

- Bahl .8 x 1: He's been solid but without much leverage gets a 1 year deal.

- Bastian 1 x 2: Solid physical 4th liner gets a raise and 2 years of job security.

- Mcleod 2 x 4: The offence is never going to meet expectations but he's a great 4th line center who is one of the best FO players and a good PK guy.

- Walsh/Gritsyuk: Walsh has been good in the AHL and Gritsyuk has been productive in the KHL with his contract coming to an end. See both of them in AHL.

UFA Signings:
- Graves 4.5 x 4: Devils have an interesting dilemma on the blueline with Graves and Severson being UFAs and Hughes and Nemec being top D prospects. I see Graves being signed over Severson just because he's formed a formidable shutdown pair with Marino and Hughes seems poised to take over the 2nd PP. I see them letting Nemec develop slowly and he can take Bahl's spot the following season with Hughes moving back to the left. At the very least I see one of Graves/Severson resigning since having both Hughes and Nemec play would make the D core quite inexperienced.

- Haula 3.5 x 2: Similarly the devils have a choice of forwards with Tatar and Haula both having good years. Even though Tatar has been excellent, I see them signing Haula just because he's such a versatile player with more physicality. Has played a ton of minutes in the playoffs.

- Kinkaid .775 x 1: 3rd depth goalie who's actually been solid in his spot starts.

Trades:
- Thompson + Vanacek to OTT for 2024 2nd and 2025 2nd:
Dorion has already said Talbot is not coming back so I can see them upgrading with Vanacek as the tandem with Forsberg. Even though Vanacek has lost the playoff starter role, that was largely the product of the devils playing like garbage and he was still statistically the ~10th best goalie this regular season with a reasonable cap hit.

- Blackwood, Casey, Foote, Holtz, 2024 + 2025 2nd and 2025 1st to NSH for Saros (1.5 retained) + Trenin:
This is the big blockbuster. We'll see if NSH is willing to deal Saros, but they've already started the retool at the deadline and I honestly think this makes a lot of sense. Saros has 2 years left and I think Trotz will see that there's no way they can contend in that window. They already have Lankinen who's played well and Askarov is so highly touted that they have an excess of talent at goalie. They basically get 3 1sts "assets" and 4 2nds (also reuniting the Foote brothers), adding a lot of potential future scoring to a team that's struggled to produce offence. Seriously, Holtz and Forsberg is gonna be so nasty and Casey is shaping up to be Sam Girard 2.0. It's a steep price but this automatically makes the devils cup favorites for the next 2 years. Trenin is also a solid physical 4th liner w/ 1 yr left that can take over Wood's spot.

- Boqvist + 2024 3rd to FLA for Duclair:
The Panthers are in cap hell so they deal the final year of Duclair for a 3rd and a cheap, solid, and controllable 3rd line replacement in Boqvist. Duclair will add the depth scoring and speed lost by losing Wood to UFA (without the stupid penalties).

- Sharangovich + Smith to ANA for Henrique (2.9125 retained) + 2024 6th
Devils legend gets reunited in the final year of his contract and takes Haula's spot on Jack's wing as the FO taker with more offensive potential (seriously Haula has been solid but Hughes should have 10 more points). Anaheim gets the younger player in Sharangovich with more control, who's shown a lot of potential and versatility but has fallen out of favor, as well as Smith as a stopgap D on a team with a historically bad defence this past season. I can really see Sharangovich blossom into the ~25-30 goal scorer people envisioned with a top 6 role in Anaheim.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$950,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$7,850,000
1$800,000
2$1,000,000
4$2,000,000
8$8,150,000
1$775,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$4,500,000
2$3,500,000
1$775,000
Trades
NJD
  1. 2024 2nd round pick (OTT)
  2. 2025 2nd round pick (OTT)
NJD
  1. Saros, Juuse ($1,500,000 retained)
  2. Trenin, Yakov
  3. 2024 4th round pick (EDM)
NSH
  1. Blackwood, Mackenzie [RFA Rights]
  2. Casey, Seamus [Reserve List]
  3. Foote, Nolan
  4. Holtz, Alexander
  5. 2024 2nd round pick (OTT)
  6. 2025 1st round pick (NJD)
  7. 2025 2nd round pick (NJD)
FLA
  1. Boqvist, Jesper [RFA Rights]
  2. 2025 3rd round pick (NJD)
NJD
  1. Henrique, Adam ($2,912,500 retained)
  2. 2025 6th round pick (ANA)
Buyouts
Recapture Fees
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the COL
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the NJD
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$83,500,000$79,261,250$422,500$1,382,500$4,238,750

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$8,150,000$8,150,000
LW, RW
UFA - 8
$7,250,000$7,250,000
C
UFA - 4
$7,850,000$7,850,000
RW, LW
UFA - 8
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
-$1,456,250-$1,456,250
LW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$8,000,000$8,000,000
C
UFA - 7
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RW, C
RFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 4
$3,500,000$3,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 3
Logo of the Florida Panthers
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Nashville Predators
$1,700,000$1,700,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C
RFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LD
UFA - 5
$9,000,000$9,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
Logo of the Nashville Predators
$3,500,000$3,500,000
G
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LD
UFA - 6
$4,400,000$4,400,000
RD
UFA - 4
$850,833$850,833 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
G
RFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LD
RFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$925,000$925K)
LD/RD
RFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, C
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 26, 2023 at 5:46 p.m.
No thank you. Saros is great, but I'm done going for 28+yr old goalies. That is waaay to much to spend on a goalie you have signed for two years.
Apr. 26, 2023 at 5:57 p.m.
Edited Apr. 26, 2023 at 6:12 p.m.
Quoting: NJDevils1317
No thank you. Saros is great, but I'm done going for 28+yr old goalies. That is waaay to much to spend on a goalie you have signed for two years.

I feel you somewhat but this is realistically what it's going to cost to get it done (especially considering the haul they got for Tanner Jeannot). Saros had the highest GSAX this past season and I would do it in a heartbreat to give the devils arguably the best goalie tandem in the league (same tier as Boston and Isles). The devils can afford to give up the assets since their core is so young imo. Saros also played 59 games this season and with Schmid he should have ample rest.
Apr. 26, 2023 at 6:15 p.m.
Future Ducks legend
You think Henrique with 50% retention for the entire season, plus a pick, is worth Sharangovich and a bottom pairing defenseman?

Yeah man, Anaheim is going to pass. We expect a 2nd and a good not great prospect for him at the TDL with retention when it costs us basically no real world money, if you want him for the whole season with retention, you will need a better offer.
Apr. 26, 2023 at 6:20 p.m.
Quoting: GiggywithGibby
You think Henrique with 50% retention for the entire season, plus a pick, is worth Sharangovich and a bottom pairing defenseman?

Yeah man, Anaheim is going to pass. We expect a 2nd and a good not great prospect for him at the TDL with retention when it costs us basically no real world money, if you want him for the whole season with retention, you will need a better offer.

I undoubtedly second this
Apr. 26, 2023 at 6:30 p.m.

Quoting: GeneralLandro

I respectfully disagree. Sharangovich would yield a second rounder if the devils were to trade him for picks no doubt in my mind. If you guys wanted to flip him for a second that's your call but he had 24 goals in 76 games actually playing consistent minutes last year, not to mention top PK time on a good PK (one of the few bright spots last year). This year he struggled to find ice time with Haula, Meier, and Palat being added to the forward core. He's way younger than Henrique and is a RFA. You guys signed Strome and Vatrano last offseason and weren't supposed to be this bad this year (I thought you guys would be like 80 pts this season), so I think Verbeek trading for a 24 year old instead of picks is totally reasonable.
Apr. 26, 2023 at 6:36 p.m.
Future Ducks legend
Edited Apr. 26, 2023 at 6:43 p.m.
Quoting: feelgood77
I respectfully disagree. Sharangovich would yield a second rounder if the devils were to trade him for picks no doubt in my mind. If you guys wanted to flip him for a second that's your call but he had 24 goals in 76 games actually playing consistent minutes last year, not to mention top PK time on a good PK (one of the few bright spots last year). This year he struggled to find ice time with Haula, Meier, and Palat being added to the forward core. He's way younger than Henrique and is a RFA. You guys signed Strome and Vatrano last offseason and weren't supposed to be this bad this year, so I think Verbeek trading for a 24 year old instead of picks is totally reasonable.

Okay, per your statement, Shar is worth a 2nd. We expect to get a 2nd and a good prospect for Rico, with retention, at the TDL. If you want us to foot the bill for the entire season, it costs more, because we are paying half of Rico's salary for the whole season instead of the last 3-4 weeks. That's a few million bucks difference in real money, which adds cost. Plus you are asking for a pick, and for us to take an ancient bottom pairing defenseman as well. We have more than enough bottom pairing defensemen, that's rather been our issue, and I'm not convinced Brendan Smith has the legs left to play 20+ minutes a night in his age 35 season.

Using Sharangovich (2nd) and a good (not great, talking B level here) prospect as the base for Rico, add value to compensate for the extra ~2.3-2.6 million we will be spending for him to play for your team the entire season.
Apr. 26, 2023 at 6:44 p.m.
Okay, per your statement, Shar is worth a 2nd. We expect to get a 2nd and a good prospect for Rico, with retention, at the TDL. If you want us to foot the bill for the entire season, it costs more, because we are paying half of Rico's salary for the whole season instead of the last 3-4 weeks. That's a few million bucks difference in real money, which adds cost. Plus you are asking for a pick, and for us to take an ancient bottom pairing defenseman as well.

Using Sharangovich (2nd) and a good (not great, talking B level here) prospect as the base for Rico, add value to compensate for the extra ~2.3-2.6 million we will be spending for him to play for your team the entire season.

Henrique has literally played 45, 58, and 62 games the past three seasons. If I'm Verbeek I'm making the safer play in the offseason to get assets rather than risking him being injured at the TDL (as has been the case) and getting nothing.
Apr. 26, 2023 at 6:50 p.m.
Future Ducks legend
Henrique has literally played 45, 58, and 62 games the past three seasons. If I'm Verbeek I'm making the safer play in the offseason to get assets rather than risking him being injured at the TDL and getting nothing.

And he's a leader in our locker room that we are more than happy to keep around and take that risk with, we still have a lot of impressionable young kids on the team, and prospects down in San Diego waiting to show what they have in the big leagues in case he misses time with an injury.

We'll take the ~50 games we have left with him and gamble at the TDL if that's the best offer for him this off season.
feelgood77 liked this.
Apr. 26, 2023 at 7:01 p.m.

I agree. There is too much risk in goalies and the window (2 years) is too short. If we were getting him for four years, maybe. But to make worthwhile we would have to extend him (likely at $7m+ well into his 30s). Not to mention...I cannot recall a single goalie that has ever returned this much in one trade....(maybe Curtis Joseph, who had 3 years on his deal, and returned two mid-1sts).
Apr. 26, 2023 at 7:05 p.m.

Quoting: GeneralLandro

Both can be true....Sharangovich is probably worth a year of Henrique (maybe more)....and Ducks likely opt for more futures/picks type of return.

I'd guess 2nd plus Clarke or Filmon type of deal
Apr. 26, 2023 at 7:15 p.m.
Quoting: NHLfan10506
I agree. There is too much risk in goalies and the window (2 years) is too short. If we were getting him for four years, maybe. But to make worthwhile we would have to extend him (likely at $7m+ well into his 30s). Not to mention...I cannot recall a single goalie that has ever returned this much in one trade....(maybe Curtis Joseph, who had 3 years on his deal, and returned two mid-1sts).

Maybe a bit too much, but I don't see NSH trading him unless it's a very significant haul if they're even willing to consider it. I think we're a bit jaded by the Bernier and Crawford acquisitions but Saros has played 67 and 64 games these past two seasons and wouldn't need to play that much on a better devils team with Schmid. Per moneypuck he had 0.62 more expected goal saved per 60 above Vanacek but hey, I'm 95% certain this won't come to fruition but it would be fun to see. Will be interesting to see who plays more out of Schmid and VV next season.

Curious what you think of the non-goalie related moves?
Apr. 26, 2023 at 7:32 p.m.
Both can be true....Sharangovich is probably worth a year of Henrique (maybe more)....and Ducks likely opt for more futures/picks type of return.

I'd guess 2nd plus Clarke or Filmon type of deal

I also don't think Anaheim is in a Chicago/Arizona type of rebuild -- more akin to where Columbus/Detroit/Montreal are, where a lot of the young core is already playing in the NHL. Sharangovich is a year younger than Troy Terry and it remains to be seen how Gibson carries his play into his 30s. Especially if Anaheim lands Bedard or even any of the top 4, I think they'll be too good to be in the lottery sweepstakes going forward and thus it makes more sense to surround him with NHL talent over getting draft picks outside the 1st round.
Apr. 26, 2023 at 7:52 p.m.
I feel you somewhat but this is realistically what it's going to cost to get it done (especially considering the haul they got for Tanner Jeannot). Saros had the highest GSAX this past season and I would do it in a heartbreat to give the devils arguably the best goalie tandem in the league (same tier as Boston and Isles). The devils can afford to give up the assets since their core is so young imo. Saros also played 59 games this season and with Schmid he should have ample rest.

Setting Jeannot up as the sample trade is all I neded to read there. The widely panned trade by everyone shouldn't be the bar. That'll be the new "Chiarot got a 1st!!" we have to live with from Habs fans.
Apr. 26, 2023 at 8:17 p.m.
Future Ducks legend
I also don't think Anaheim is in a Chicago/Arizona type of rebuild -- more akin to where Columbus/Detroit/Montreal are, where a lot of the young core is already playing in the NHL. Sharangovich is a year younger than Troy Terry and it remains to be seen how Gibson carries his play into his 30s. Especially if Anaheim lands Bedard or even any of the top 4, I think they'll be too good to be in the lottery sweepstakes going forward and thus it makes more sense to surround him with NHL talent over getting draft picks outside the 1st round.

Yes, and as with young teams, veteran presence and leadership in the locker room is important, and right now, Rico is out 1LW. The issue I am having here is of the three players involved, Henrique is the best one, we are the ones giving up the pick, and we are the ones eating almost $3 million in real money. What we get for that is the signing rights to Sharangovich and a defenseman we frankly don't want.

I like Sharangovich, but he is not worth what you are asking to get his signing rights. He's a decent 2nd line complementary piece who can capitalize on chances well enough, but the thing that the Ducks are really lacking is the high end scoring talent, and top 4 defense. You are taking one of those pieces in Rico, money, and a pick, and providing back none of the pieces we need.
Apr. 26, 2023 at 9:41 p.m.
Setting Jeannot up as the sample trade is all I neded to read there. The widely panned trade by everyone shouldn't be the bar. That'll be the new "Chiarot got a 1st!!" we have to live with from Habs fans.

I'm a devils fan as well but I didn't want to be biased. If we had Saros play instead of VV this past season, given that VV played 52 games the difference in expected goals would come out to 31.2 (and Saros would likely play even more games). I don't see how we could add 31+ goals worth of production any other way, especially since the top 6 is already stacked. Maybe they'd take someone like Clarke instead of Holtz but I honestly don't think the value proposition is that outlandish.
Apr. 26, 2023 at 10:08 p.m.
Maybe a bit too much, but I don't see NSH trading him unless it's a very significant haul if they're even willing to consider it. I think we're a bit jaded by the Bernier and Crawford acquisitions but Saros has played 67 and 64 games these past two seasons and wouldn't need to play that much on a better devils team with Schmid. Per moneypuck he had 0.62 more expected goal saved per 60 above Vanacek but hey, I'm 95% certain this won't come to fruition but it would be fun to see. Will be interesting to see who plays more out of Schmid and VV next season.

Curious what you think of the non-goalie related moves?

I like Saros and appreciate his workhorse resume. A 60-start goalie often gets underrated with fans these days. But the cost is too high here. First, we would regret giving up Holtz. He has elite scoring ability…and historically goal-scorers don’t develop progressively. I don’t expect a straight line development…it will be big step changes. And probably goals coming in clumps. Foote is our most likely in-house replacement for Wood…and this year has rounded out his game (even on PK) up in Utica. And Casey was one of the best Freshmen in NCAA this year.

As for the other moves. Duclair would be nice pick-up. The Panthers need to add a dman or two, so would probably be looking for more of a hockey trade. Since we are already losing two of our top-4 by TOI in free agency this summer, and gave away two close-to-NHL dmen in Meier deal, I don’t think we would give away any NHL-ready dmen. So probably not a match for them.

I love Rico and think he could slide into Haula’s role easily. I’d prefer to keep Sharangovich as I think l, over the long-term, he could develop into nice two-way 3C with plus defense and 20-goal offense. So I would probably recommend extending Haula, keeping Sharangovich. Unless Anaheim wants Clarke, Thompson or similar player from off our roster.
Apr. 26, 2023 at 10:47 p.m.
Edited Apr. 26, 2023 at 10:54 p.m.
I like Saros and appreciate his workhorse resume. A 60-start goalie often gets underrated with fans these days. But the cost is too high here. First, we would regret giving up Holtz. He has elite scoring ability…and historically goal-scorers don’t develop progressively. I don’t expect a straight line development…it will be big step changes. And probably goals coming in clumps. Foote is our most likely in-house replacement for Wood…and this year has rounded out his game (even on PK) up in Utica. And Casey was one of the best Freshmen in NCAA this year.

As for the other moves. Duclair would be nice pick-up. The Panthers need to add a dman or two, so would probably be looking for more of a hockey trade. Since we are already losing two of our top-4 by TOI in free agency this summer, and gave away two close-to-NHL dmen in Meier deal, I don’t think we would give away any NHL-ready dmen. So probably not a match for them.

I love Rico and think he could slide into Haula’s role easily. I’d prefer to keep Sharangovich as I think l, over the long-term, he could develop into nice two-way 3C with plus defense and 20-goal offense. So I would probably recommend extending Haula, keeping Sharangovich. Unless Anaheim wants Clarke, Thompson or similar player from off our roster.

I'd agree with most of what you're saying, and if I did an offseason mock without the Saros trade it would look pretty similar.

I'm still a Holtz believer and obviously management is too given how they executed the Meier trade even with his connection to Eklund (seriously still don't know how they did that). They have to let him play in the top 6 next year and I can see him taking Tatar's ice time hopefully.

I also like Foote on the 4th line as a more versatile 4th liner compared to Wood. Thought he looked good this season and maybe he could even have a net front role on the PP at some point.

Where I'm a bit different is on Casey and Sharangovich. I'd agree he's an absolute stud (2nd in pts among freshmen D) but I just don't see how he gets into the lineup moving forward. The right side already has Dougie and Marino long term with Nemec expected to take that last spot. Maybe we trade out Marino eventually, but we'll (hopefully) already 2 great offensive D-men in Dougie and Hughes and I don't know if Casey would be a suitable replacement for Marino who's our top line shutdown guy. I'm glad we drafted BPA but I could see him being a key trade piece during the devil's window.

As for Sharangovich, I'd love for him to develop into that 3C but he really needs to get better at faceoffs as part of his development, especially if he's a two way guy matching up against top lines. He was less than 1/3 this season and has never been over 40% (we can't let for example Zibanejad starting with the puck 2/3 times). I think Nico, Haula, and Mcleod (even Lazar now) being good at faceoffs is an underrated reason for the team's success this season. This also happens to be the area I think Jack needs to develop the most in so that he doesn't need a faceoff guy on his line and he can have more offensively gifted linemates.

As for the other trades, I think what you said makes some sense. The luxury of the devils right now is that they have prospects who could potentially fill those roles and it's up to management to decide either way.
Apr. 26, 2023 at 10:56 p.m.
I'd agree with most of what you're saying, and if I did an offseason mock without the Saros trade it would look pretty similar.

I'm still a Holtz believer and obviously management is too given how they executed the Meier trade even with his connection to Eklund (seriously still don't know how they did that). They have to let him play in the top 6 next year and I can see him taking Tatar's ice time hopefully.

I also like Foote on the 4th line as a more versatile 4th liner compared to Wood. Thought he looked good this season and maybe he could even have a net front role on the PP at some point.

Where I'm a bit different is on Casey and Sharangovich. I'd agree he's an absolute stud (2nd in pts among freshmen D) but I just don't see how he gets into the lineup moving forward. The right side already has Dougie and Marino long term with Nemec expected to take that last spot. Maybe we trade out Marino eventually, but we'll (hopefully) already 2 great offensive D-men in Dougie and Hughes and I don't know if Casey would be a suitable replacement for Marino who's our top line shutdown guy. I'm glad we drafted BPA but I could see him being a key trade piece during the devil's window.

As for Sharangovich, I'd love for him to develop into that 3C but he really needs to get better at faceoffs as part of his development, especially if he's a two way guy matching up against top lines. He was less than 1/3 this season and has never been over 40%. I think Nico, Haula, and Mcleod (even Lazar now) being good at faceoffs is an underrated reason for the team's success this season.

As for the other trades, I think what you said makes some sense. The luxury of the devils right now is that they have prospects who could potentially fill those roles and it's up to management to decide either way.

Lebrun reported that Grier asked for Holtz, and Fitzy said if it’s Holtz, it’s only Holtz (which shows how much they value him).

Good thing about Casey is that he is a good 2-3 years away. A lot can happen in 3 years, so no rush to move him. Walsh may be another story…may make more sense to move him.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll