SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Tampa Bay Lightning

2023 Lightning Offseason Discussion

Sep. 28, 2023 at 5:20 p.m.
Quoting: LordStanlersCup
Could Groshev make the starting roster over ABB? They are both playing phenomenal and I kinda want both to make the team but I dont think there is any other player on the roster he would realistically knock off. TBH he kinda looks more deserving of a spot than Jeannot but JBB would never do that after what he paid for him. I think all that time in the KHL has made him stand out amongst our prospects so far. Very impressed they beat the Preds starters last night, great work ethic and motte did great on the PK. Side note, is Finley injured again? I didnt see him at the prospects showcase or either preseason games, also where is edmonds?

Keep them both up with Vasy's LTIR space. Let them really duke it out.
Steven_Stamkos liked this.
Sep. 28, 2023 at 5:21 p.m.
Vasy out for 10 weeks. Time to see Hugo? Steal a vet off waivers? Jones from Toronto?
Sep. 28, 2023 at 5:36 p.m.
Quoting: Rangsey
Vasy out for 10 weeks. Time to see Hugo? Steal a vet off waivers? Jones from Toronto?

They can sign me, 1-year, 10m is my asking price though.
Sep. 28, 2023 at 6:44 p.m.
Quoting: Sklikly
They can sign me, 1-year, 10m is my asking price though.

Taking a pay cut for the sake of the team. What a legend.
Steven_Stamkos and Sklikly liked this.
Sep. 28, 2023 at 6:51 p.m.
Quoting: Rangsey

Tough to say. I don't think it'll be Hugo. Less than ideal circumstances for him to really make his debut run. Don't think they would wanna throw him into the ringer and he hasn't looked great this summer. I think signing a vet could work. But then again trading for a guy could be beneficial because if he performs and Johansson struggles out the gate, then we can keep the new guy and JoJo can be sent down when Vasi comes back. I think we definitely make a move though
Sep. 28, 2023 at 8:21 p.m.
Quoting: Steven_Stamkos
Tough to say. I don't think it'll be Hugo. Less than ideal circumstances for him to really make his debut run. Don't think they would wanna throw him into the ringer and he hasn't looked great this summer. I think signing a vet could work. But then again trading for a guy could be beneficial because if he performs and Johansson struggles out the gate, then we can keep the new guy and JoJo can be sent down when Vasi comes back. I think we definitely make a move though

Spencer Martin is on waivers. Had a good run in Van as a starter, familiar with the organization.....? Halak for 1mil?
Sep. 29, 2023 at 9:17 p.m.
Only a two period review. Stream sucked in the third period. Camera glitches, lag. Just didn't feel like watching anymore because of it.

Lines -

Sheary Cirelli Eyssimont (best line and really like this trio)
Jeannot Glendening Motte (really like this line. Great energy group)
Chafee Robert Goncalves (also great energy group by Robert and Chafee. Goncalves set those two up for success)
Walcott Szturc Edmonds (line was not a factor)

Bogosian Fleury
Carlile Thompson
Day Myers (pair was nothing special)

Johansson (Played pretty good. Made the saves he was supposed to and was composed in the net. Also made some big saves. Solid performance)

Motte- great motor tonight, throwing hits and going to work below the dots. Good game from him

Bogosian - veteran calm and patience highly evident

Robert - very impressed by his game tonight. flying around the ice. Had the puck alot. Scored and was a big factor offensively

Goncalves- his playmaking instincts are, should I say elite??? Makes passes everytime the puck is on his stick. Manages to find a lane or create a play when it looks like there is no play to be made. Great angling on the fore check in the neutral zone and finishes the play with a takeaway. Overall another very good game from him.

Jeannot had a big hit before going to the bench. Bad positioning and anticipation on the penalty kill. Over commits to chasing defenseman on the blue. Puck watching when the puck is on the opposite side that he is on. Oblivious to a dman creeping backside for a great 1 time opportunity on a cross seam pass that went right by him

Cirelli is Cirelli

Sheary had a visible game offensively.

Eyssimont played very well and his offensive skills improved a lot this summer. The top line had great chem and chances tonight. All three were factors and played well individually.

Edmonds was invisible. Touched the puck once. Had a toe pick without the puck and overall just was a non factor.

Carlile wasn't very noticable either tonight.

Thompson handled the puck well and did a good job QB'ing the powerplay

------------------
PK
Cirelli Jeannot (Jeannot needs big improvement on the PK)
Fluery Bogosian

Glendening Motte
Whoever
----------------

Powerplay
Motte Cirelli Sheary
Bogosian Eyssimont (good spot for Ace)

Chafee Robert Edmonds
Thompson Goncalves
--------------------

Game notes (not a ton, just some events I jotted down)

Carlile - dzone holding penalty @10:24 left in the first

Glendening and Motte great 2 on 1 PK chance, Glenny hits post

Walcott Sheary 2 on 1 PK chance. Great shot by Walcott but big save

Penalty is killed.

Cirelli takeaway and walks from the corner to the front of net and goes top shelf on the backhand.

Carolina penalty late in the first
-killed off

2nd period

Top line great rush. Cirelli cuts across the slot and feeds Ace who rips a shot form the left circle but Perets makes a great save

Eyssimont great through the legs pass to Sheary who streaks for a breakaway and hits the post

Robert with a powerplay goal. Jabs in his own rebound after a great release on a one timer. Sheary to Eyssimont who spins and makes a great feed to Sheary who goes backdoor to Robert who got robbed but then finds his rebound. 2-0
Sep. 29, 2023 at 9:54 p.m.
Quoting: Steven_Stamkos
Only a two period review. Stream sucked in the third period. Camera glitches, lag. Just didn't feel like watching anymore because of it.

Lines -

Sheary Cirelli Eyssimont (best line and really like this trio)
Jeannot Glendening Motte (really like this line. Great energy group)
Chafee Robert Goncalves (also great energy group by Robert and Chafee. Goncalves set those two up for success)
Walcott Szturc Edmonds (line was not a factor)

Bogosian Fleury
Carlile Thompson
Day Myers (pair was nothing special)

Johansson (Played pretty good. Made the saves he was supposed to and was composed in the net. Also made some big saves. Solid performance)

Motte- great motor tonight, throwing hits and going to work below the dots. Good game from him

Bogosian - veteran calm and patience highly evident

Robert - very impressed by his game tonight. flying around the ice. Had the puck alot. Scored and was a big factor offensively

Goncalves- his playmaking instincts are, should I say elite??? Makes passes everytime the puck is on his stick. Manages to find a lane or create a play when it looks like there is no play to be made. Great angling on the fore check in the neutral zone and finishes the play with a takeaway. Overall another very good game from him.

Jeannot had a big hit before going to the bench. Bad positioning and anticipation on the penalty kill. Over commits to chasing defenseman on the blue. Puck watching when the puck is on the opposite side that he is on. Oblivious to a dman creeping backside for a great 1 time opportunity on a cross seam pass that went right by him

Cirelli is Cirelli

Sheary had a visible game offensively.

Eyssimont played very well and his offensive skills improved a lot this summer. The top line had great chem and chances tonight. All three were factors and played well individually.

Edmonds was invisible. Touched the puck once. Had a toe pick without the puck and overall just was a non factor.

Carlile wasn't very noticable either tonight.

Thompson handled the puck well and did a good job QB'ing the powerplay

------------------
PK
Cirelli Jeannot (Jeannot needs big improvement on the PK)
Fluery Bogosian

Glendening Motte
Whoever
----------------

Powerplay
Motte Cirelli Sheary
Bogosian Eyssimont (good spot for Ace)

Chafee Robert Edmonds
Thompson Goncalves
--------------------

Game notes (not a ton, just some events I jotted down)

Carlile - dzone holding penalty 10:24 left in the first

Glendening and Motte great 2 on 1 PK chance, Glenny hits post

Walcott Sheary 2 on 1 PK chance. Great shot by Walcott but big save

Penalty is killed.

Cirelli takeaway and walks from the corner to the front of net and goes top shelf on the backhand.

Carolina penalty late in the first
-killed off

2nd period

Top line great rush. Cirelli cuts across the slot and feeds Ace who rips a shot form the left circle but Perets makes a great save

Eyssimont great through the legs pass to Sheary who streaks for a breakaway and hits the post

Robert with a powerplay goal. Jabs in his own rebound after a great release on a one timer. Sheary to Eyssimont who spins and makes a great feed to Sheary who goes backdoor to Robert who got robbed but then finds his rebound. 2-0

I agree with most of what you had here. Also the start of the third was a mess camera wise but you should of stuck around because it got better and was a great finish to the game. Side note, the fact they show the replay of a goal in the middle of the game makes no sense to me but whatever. Here are some things I noticed: bogosian was having a lot of trouble finding a breakout pass to start the powerplay but seemed okay otherwise. Sheary didnt look like he could keep up with the combo of cirelli and essyimont but those two were having a field day, cirelli would have had a hatrick if he hit that cross ice 2 on 1 from essyimont. Robert is an underrated workhorse, I think he is one of our better prospects tbh, even if he doesnt put up the points the effort is always there. Completely agree with on Jeannot, he looks like he either doesnt want to be there or is just clueless as to what is happening, was constantly losing the puck, I really hope they put him on the 4th line or healthy scratch him. Out of the defense they were all pretty meh to bad, but they did a good job keeping the front of the net clear which was important, notable standout though was Thompson who played solid. I think you were a bit harsh on Edmonds, it wasnt his best game but compared to his linemates he did pretty well (besides that toepick). Motte is really good on the PK, glendenning has done well on the PK aswell. Also the biggest takeaway from the game was the outstanding performance of Jonas Johansson. He had one hell of a game, he made the saves look easy because he had fantastic positioning, stopping at least 10+ grade A chances especially in the third period. If he can keep that up then the lightning will be just fine.
Sep. 29, 2023 at 10:49 p.m.
Quoting: LordStanlersCup
I agree with most of what you had here. Also the start of the third was a mess camera wise but you should of stuck around because it got better and was a great finish to the game. Side note, the fact they show the replay of a goal in the middle of the game makes no sense to me but whatever. Here are some things I noticed: bogosian was having a lot of trouble finding a breakout pass to start the powerplay but seemed okay otherwise. Sheary didnt look like he could keep up with the combo of cirelli and essyimont but those two were having a field day, cirelli would have had a hatrick if he hit that cross ice 2 on 1 from essyimont. Robert is an underrated workhorse, I think he is one of our better prospects tbh, even if he doesnt put up the points the effort is always there. Completely agree with on Jeannot, he looks like he either doesnt want to be there or is just clueless as to what is happening, was constantly losing the puck, I really hope they put him on the 4th line or healthy scratch him. Out of the defense they were all pretty meh to bad, but they did a good job keeping the front of the net clear which was important, notable standout though was Thompson who played solid. I think you were a bit harsh on Edmonds, it wasnt his best game but compared to his linemates he did pretty well (besides that toepick). Motte is really good on the PK, glendenning has done well on the PK aswell. Also the biggest takeaway from the game was the outstanding performance of Jonas Johansson. He had one hell of a game, he made the saves look easy because he had fantastic positioning, stopping at least 10+ grade A chances especially in the third period. If he can keep that up then the lightning will be just fine.

Yeah I was going out so I said f it. Honestly that part was more aggravating to watch then the camera issues in the third. I don't need to see the same replay 3 times while the game is being played, I just want to see the action on the ice haha not rewatch a holding penalty 3 times lol. Plus the animations on screen at random times. Very annoying haha. Yeah Sheary was the third wheel to those two. Agree on the defense. No one was outstanding, but Thompson looked the best again. He's a very skilled puck handler and skates fluently with the puck. Really like Robert and honestly he could be in the running for a roster spot. His effort was the best out of anyone tonight. I mean, excluding Tony and Ace that is. But he always gives 120%. Yeah maybe I was harsh on Edmonds, but that 4th line really didn't do anything other than like their first two shifts of the game. I really like Motte so far, he's a great grinder/power forward. His skating is very good for the player he is. Completely agree with your comment on JoJo. I wasn't watching him closely, but his position was stellar. He made the saves he needed to make. I've always been a believer in the saying "don't make any unforced errors". He played steady, but also came up with some big saves in the 2nd. Looked good
LordStanlersCup liked this.
Oct. 3, 2023 at 10:58 a.m.
Koepke sent down. Thought he'd be one of the guys hanging round for that final spot.
Oct. 9, 2023 at 6:06 p.m.
Just putting this here cause I thought it was cool, from Chris Kenn "For everyone asking, the #Bolts did have 23 on the roster when it was submitted to the league. They accomplished this with a paper transaction that sent Merela to Syracuse as he doesn’t require waivers. Now, he’s back on the roster & corresponding moves will follow in short order"

Tampa's being praised on twitter for the watson contract and how they maximized LTIR space which I didn't understand initially. The Watson move was to maximize Seabrook's cap hit not Vasilevskiy's. They sent Merela down so it was Watson, ABB and Fleury as the extras with Tomkins in and Vasilevskiy on IR. This left them was $2 cap hit left thus successfully maximizing whatever space they could of Seabrook's LTIR pool. Then they moved Vasilevskiy to LTIR and quickly recalled Merela back up. I guess since during the season they don't have to be right at the ceiling, when Vasilevskiy comes back they could just send Merela back down and have the +2$ left or if they really like Merela they send down two of ABB/Watson/Fleury
Steven_Stamkos and Rangsey liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll